Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its pretty loving odd that a church wants its own cops, but youre blowing poo poo way out of proportion trying to compare it to sharia law

There are Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religious courts that have some legal power in the US. And there are plenty of Evangelical groups that are well in favor of pushing religious laws as State and Federal rulings. So, no, there is an apt comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I'm not giving a church any benefit of the doubt

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Flikken posted:

University's don't really send arrests to their own courts do they? They still go to municipal and county courts right?

Any individual arrested by campus police are sent through the normal court system. If the person is also a university student they are also referred to the University which can also choose disciplinary action independent of the court system.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

That cow wouldn't even make the news if it was white

white male authority figures secretly obsessed with black bulls, film at 11

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

No loving way. Hire some off duty local cops or armed security. No need for a church to have police powers.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

There are Jewish, Christian, and Islamic religious courts that have some legal power in the US. And there are plenty of Evangelical groups that are well in favor of pushing religious laws as State and Federal rulings. So, no, there is an apt comparison.

hmm yes, because mediating religious divorces or excommunicating someone equates in so many ways to whats going on in saudi arabia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hmm yes, because mediating religious divorces or excommunicating someone equates in so many ways to whats going on in saudi arabia

:rolleyes: "I don't want to serve gays/blacks/transgenders, its against my religion. ITS RELIGIOUS FREEDOM!"

Got it. Because its not as bad as Saudi Arabia, its therefore not bad. C'mon now. You honestly don't believe that groups that regularly show up at CPAC pushing religious legislation don't want a lot of the same things that happen in Saudi Arabia. Or that it has happened in the past here...

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
id be more willing to engage with your stupid argument if you werent such a smug prick with your rolleyes emote. religious courts pretty much just deal with divorces through their chosen religions. other times they handle kicking people out of the clergy or congregation. but its not like they could come after you and throw you in church jail because you said gently caress god or whatever. you have to accept whatever punishment they hand down of your own free will, they dont have any actual power, and that punishment is almost always just being excluded from the group. oh loving no

dont know what bigots refusing service to minorities has to do with religious courts, but you love false equivalency poo poo so whatever

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I wish the black gospel church I work at would hire me on full time, that would be baller

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dont know what bigots refusing service to minorities has to do with religious courts, but you love false equivalency poo poo so whatever

Because pretty much every Religious Freedom law pushed is an attempt to do a long run around the Legal System to enact religious legislation that allows Churches and their members to determine what is legal and what is not. See: Conversion Therapy, Anti-LGBT laws, Bathroom Bills, Anti-Birth Control/Sex Ed bills, etc. etc.

other times they handle kicking people out of the clergy or congregation. but its not like they could come after you and throw you in church jail because you said gently caress god or whatever.

Why not? Arguing that the PD should answer to Church Leadership is totally moving towards that goal, so you tell me why not. And Mediation has been used in the past repeatedly against abuse victims who are largely powerless against the mediation system due to age/marriage/or gender. Churches have used arbitration in the past to basically make Mediation legal, Companies do it too, but we're talking about churches here, so lets focus on that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/03/business/dealbook/in-religious-arbitration-scripture-is-the-rule-of-law.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 21, 2017

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/2017/02/20/wife-allegedly-shoots-spouse-prevent-divorce/98173688/

quote:

A Fort Bliss woman allegedly shot her husband because she would rather have him “dead than divorced,” according to court documents.

Arely Brigette Ruiz took her husband Luis Manuel Beltran to William Beaumont Army Medical Center on Jan. 16 and told the medical staff that Beltran had shot himself at their home in the 3000 block of Bishop Avenue on Fort Bliss, according to a criminal complaint.

Beltran regained consciousness on Jan. 19. He told medical staff that he did not shoot himself and that Ruiz was the one who shot him with the handgun, the complaint states.

Ruiz said that she and Beltran had been arguing throughout the day because Beltran told her he wanted a divorce, he had a girlfriend and that he had been cheating on her, the complaint states.

The couple had been together since 2009, according to court documents. Ruiz told agents that she did not work and the couple had no children.

She added that she did not want to get a divorce and move back in with her parents, the complaint states.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I interrupt your previously scheduled religious freedom spat with :siren: CIVIL WAR PART TWO: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO :siren:

https://twitter.com/RaleighReporter/status/834087868389801984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:sherman:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

enlisted.txt

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

redneck nazgul posted:

I interrupt your previously scheduled religious freedom spat with :siren: CIVIL WAR PART TWO: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO :siren:

https://twitter.com/RaleighReporter/status/834087868389801984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:sherman:

http://newenglandindependence.weebly.com/

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Spicer press briefing is about to start!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:siren:Taking bets on...wait...poo poo

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

:siren:Taking bets on...wait...poo poo

Sweden!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My guess is the Jews.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

It was Australian plane crash followed by McMaster.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Gitmo!

"...serves a healthy purpose"

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What does any of this have to do with tranq cow

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Pesticide20 posted:

Gitmo!

"...serves a healthy purpose"

VERY VERY healthy

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
:laffo:

"I wish they [the Anne Frank Center] had praised the President"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

SwampDonkey posted:

VERY VERY healthy

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

Religious courts have almost no legal power and exist exclusively to mediate civil disputes between people of faith. They have no enforcement powers and explicitly do not try crimes. Those are handled by, you know, the real courts. Its like, if Muhammad's son is marrying Zahir's daughter but Muhammad didn't pay a big enough dowry or whatever, Zahir can take him to Sharia court, where the judge will attempt to get them to agree to a non-binding outcome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Deathy McDeath posted:

Religious courts have almost no legal power and exist exclusively to mediate civil disputes between people of faith. They have no enforcement powers and explicitly do not try crimes. Those are handled by, you know, the real courts. Its like, if Muhammad's son is marrying Zahir's daughter but Muhammad didn't pay a big enough dowry or whatever, Zahir can take him to Sharia court, where the judge will attempt to get them to agree to a non-binding outcome.

Go look up Arbitration: https://thehumanist.com/voices/rules_are_for_schmucks/rules-are-for-schmucks-religious-arbitration

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Did Spicer seriously just respond to a question about the growth of anti-Islamic hate organizations over the last few years by talking about Trump's commitment to combat 'radical Islamic Terror'??

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

id be more willing to engage with your stupid argument if you werent such a smug prick with your rolleyes emote. religious courts pretty much just deal with divorces through their chosen religions. other times they handle kicking people out of the clergy or congregation. but its not like they could come after you and throw you in church jail because you said gently caress god or whatever.

Well, actually...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

All I got from this is that guy standing next to the Brazilian reporter probably had a boner.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Cugel the Clever posted:

Did Spicer seriously just respond to a question about the growth of anti-Islamic hate organizations over the last few years by talking about Trump's commitment to combat 'radical Islamic Terror'??

Remember in school when the teacher would purposely call on the kid who wasn't paying attention and he would respond by saying something that included a key word from what the teacher was saying?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
You know, I was starting to feel like the craziness had been in a bit of a lull lately.

Good to see the existential terror/mania that is the new norm was only a press conference away.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

why the hell is he babbling about dr carson's scrubs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao you might not want to use tax evasion for your analogy, spicey.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

he really looks like he hates his job

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

No loving way. Hire some off duty local cops or armed security. No need for a church to have police powers.

This. The South does this poo poo all the time, even letting them use the squad cars while directing traffic. I'm not keen on it because I'm sure those cops can find something better to do on the city/county/state dime.

But there's also churches that own tons of land with homes or properties they lease to parishoners. I know of one in TN that probably has 1000 acres of raw land, residential properties, a huge "campus" and a couple of giant houses (serious rear end mansions, for the preachers, of course). Not a goddamn dime of tax money out of their asses.

I say gently caress it. If you want to live in a christian enclave on the edge of town and you're willing to sign an HOA over religious beliefs, whatever. Do what you want. But those cops don't do poo poo outside of their jurisdiction. And none of that special law poo poo extends to non-parishoners or non-residents. Then I'm kinda fine with it. That salary for a cop is like a tax on their nonconforming to the city or county or whatever.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

This. The South does this poo poo all the time, even letting them use the squad cars while directing traffic. I'm not keen on it because I'm sure those cops can find something better to do on the city/county/state dime.

But there's also churches that own tons of land with homes or properties they lease to parishoners. I know of one in TN that probably has 1000 acres of raw land, residential properties, a huge "campus" and a couple of giant houses (serious rear end mansions, for the preachers, of course). Not a goddamn dime of tax money out of their asses.

I say gently caress it. If you want to live in a christian enclave on the edge of town and you're willing to sign an HOA over religious beliefs, whatever. Do what you want. But those cops don't do poo poo outside of their jurisdiction. And none of that special law poo poo extends to non-parishoners or non-residents. Then I'm kinda fine with it. That salary for a cop is like a tax on their nonconforming to the city or county or whatever.

I'd rather not set the precedent.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
THIS IS loving BULLSHIT

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/834122260877303808

cops killed the cow just because it was black tbqh imo :argh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Let's not, thanks.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

facialimpediment posted:

THIS IS loving BULLSHIT

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/834122260877303808

cops killed the cow just because it was black tbqh imo :argh:

2017s harambe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment