Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Would you want to be cuddled by an untrained Machamp while it's pushing heavy things? That sounds like a recipe for getting flexed into a pulp

Honestly it seems to me like the cuddling doesn't need to be part of the equation at all, but maybe I just don't know how to chill like the Alolans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The Alolans were tired of unlicensed trainers Hulk Smashing their way through everything kool aid man style. It was the only way to keep all buildings from becoming piles of rubble.

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.
I like the way that field moves affect the gameplay, in that it gives some of the same sense of exploration that you get from a metroidvania type game. The ride pager is definitely a good implementation, though the loss of the sense of using "your" Pokemon for the tasks. On the other hand, it does let them give you better models for the action, like Lapras and Sharpedo for your surfing instead of a generic shadowy blob. Replacing the bike and itemfinder is an interesting move, but charging around on a Tauros is fun as hell. I think a region with branching and converging paths like Kanto had, along with the ride pager or something similar that uses your actual party Pokemon would be amazing.

Also, seeing Magikarp reminded me of something. Two somethings, actually. They probably locked the exp share to postgame just like the watering can, huh? It's probably back to being a held item, too. And let me guess, the lucky egg is as bad or worse to get than in d/p/pt? This already seems like it's made by the kind of people that would be upset over the professor just giving you one in 5th gen on.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

thefailtrain posted:

The ride pager is definitely a good implementation, though the loss of the sense of using "your" Pokemon for the tasks.

This is fine. I didn't have any particular attachment to that Bibarel anyway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Every time pokemon opened up progression to be non linear, the level curb goes to garbage and it is hands down the worst part of the game. To pull that off youd have to level scale every last trainer, not just the gym leaders.

That said those sections were better than what yall are making uraniums curve sound like

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I didn't like ride pokemon for one reason: the stupid outfit. I never rode ever unless forced to. I mean, why let me play dress up but then force me into some stupid spandex outfit with kneepads and a helmet.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What are you talking about? That Charizard is mine goddamn it, No takesies backsies.

Akujiki
Nov 25, 2013

PureRok posted:

I didn't like ride pokemon for one reason: the stupid outfit. I never rode ever unless forced to. I mean, why let me play dress up but then force me into some stupid spandex outfit with kneepads and a helmet.

SAFETY.

How crazy would these people be to let their young ones ride on Pokémon moving at high speeds or great altitudes without demanding any sort of protective gear?

Any nation that allows free reign to that extent must be governed by barbarians.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

It'd be way too much effort to implement, but I kinda wish you could handle any gym in any order, assuming you can reach it and get through the wild Pokemon. The idea of that being that each gym leader has multiple sets of pokemon based on how many badges their challenger has. Granted that would mean giving every single gym leader (except maybe one or two tied behind plot) eight different sets of Pokemon at varying levels and total numbers of Pokemon. Of course, the fact that these save-the-world plots have to take center stage now and turn the League run and Pokedex run into minor objectives at best makes this even more unfeasible.

From what I recall of the Pokemon manga, this is actually canonically how gym leaders work as well.
Although as mentioned, the bigger issue with the idea is all the wild Pokemon and trainers in those areas would also have to be level adjusted, which is a bit of an issue. Because who wants like, dynamic-style level scaling like Oblivion in a Pokemon game?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bloody Pom posted:

The funniest thing about this is that the blog's avatar is an Incineroar :eng99:

I think the blog got started before Sun/Moon came out, when people were still terrified of Incineroar following the trend of the generations before it. :ssh:

FoolyCharged posted:

Every time pokemon opened up progression to be non linear, the level curb goes to garbage and it is hands down the worst part of the game. To pull that off youd have to level scale every last trainer, not just the gym leaders.

Never forget Gold/Silver/Crystal's Kanto visit and its Lv 5 pokemon...and Lv 60 trainers.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 21, 2017

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

krisslanza posted:

From what I recall of the Pokemon manga, this is actually canonically how gym leaders work as well.
Although as mentioned, the bigger issue with the idea is all the wild Pokemon and trainers in those areas would also have to be level adjusted, which is a bit of an issue. Because who wants like, dynamic-style level scaling like Oblivion in a Pokemon game?

This is definitely how it works in the Pokemon Origins series, which helped the world feel a lot more organic. Unfortunately I don't really see a practical way to implement that in the games

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Fetus posted:

On the other hand, the removal of HMs meant that they had to introduce way more NPC roadblocks to railroad you instead, so it's up to you if HMs were preferable to that or not.

At the same time, those roadblocks were thematically consistent - actual gates that, in-universe, you have to reach a certain level of progress to pass. Better yet, the people in charge of them told you what you needed to do to get past them.

We didn't have things like this, nor did we have eternally broken bridges that would be fixed "SoonTM", with soon being "as soon as you've beaten the game".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

krisslanza posted:

Clearly they should make it like New Vegas, where you'll get your poo poo kicked in if you take the wrong turn off Route 1 :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Gen 2 kinda tried that with the ability to handle the Cianwood, Olivine and Mahogany gyms in any order, but they did so by having their levels be about the same, which kinda hurt Johto's level curve.

It'd probably be more work to do it like this, but you could try something like dynamic level scaling, but instead of programmatically adjusting levels, you could have encounter tables and trainer teams determined by how many badges you have when you first enter that area, though that could be abused if someone were to access every area ASAP without actually getting any badges. Hmm, this is probably why Pokemon hasn't gone fully open world, because trying to figure out how to balance it would be a real pain.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

KataraniSword posted:

At the same time, those roadblocks were thematically consistent - actual gates that, in-universe, you have to reach a certain level of progress to pass. Better yet, the people in charge of them told you what you needed to do to get past them.

We didn't have things like this, nor did we have eternally broken bridges that would be fixed "SoonTM", with soon being "as soon as you've beaten the game".

I was actually going to post that :argh:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Clearly they should make it like New Vegas, where you'll get your poo poo kicked in if you take the wrong turn off Route 1 :v:

So you mean the Cazadors, right?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ChaosArgate posted:

Gen 2 kinda tried that with the ability to handle the Cianwood, Olivine and Mahogany gyms in any order, but they did so by having their levels be about the same, which kinda hurt Johto's level curve.

Gen 1 lets you do Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga and Sabrina in any order as well... and even then you only need to do Koga before you can add Blaine to the list. Last time I played, I went Brock > Misty > Koga > Sabrina > Blaine > Erika > Surge > Giovanni. That was an experience, but it wasn't really difficult either really. Odd that there's nothing preventing it considering you get the ability to use Cut before you ever get Cut but since it's needed to access Surge, and all he gives is quick travel... :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Dragonatrix posted:

Gen 1 lets you do Lt. Surge, Erika, Koga and Sabrina in any order as well... and even then you only need to do Koga before you can add Blaine to the list. Last time I played, I went Brock > Misty > Koga > Sabrina > Blaine > Erika > Surge > Giovanni. That was an experience, but it wasn't really difficult either really. Odd that there's nothing preventing it considering you get the ability to use Cut before you ever get Cut but since it's needed to access Surge, and all he gives is quick travel... :v:

Surge and Erika gyms can be skipped over, but unless you trade in or abuse bugs you have to go to vermillion for cut and celedon for the silph scope respectively. Its not really being able to tackle it in whatever order.

So its really only open for pick saffron or two routes into fuschia in which your first option is cool and you way outlevel the next pair.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly I don't get the appeal for going wherever or doing gyms in any order. I'd rather a more tightly curated experience because level scaling has historically been incredibly awful and the games I can think of that tried the 'Do it in whatever order!' tend to suffer a lot for it because everything has to be so generic and can't assume or tie into anything else in case you haven't done it.

Just do not see the appeal.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

This is the hand's down absolute best roadblock in the entire series and "trainers searching for items on a stoutland" just can never compare.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

rannum posted:

This is the hand's down absolute best roadblock in the entire series and "trainers searching for items on a stoutland" just can never compare.

...I forgot about that loving stoutland.

Yes, I will absolutely agree I would rather have the Inexplicable Dancing Men than the itemfinder dweeb who insists he must dryhump every inch of the island first, gently caress you. MOST of Sun/Moon's roadblocks were thematically consistent.

gently caress that guy and his giant dog.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The best is still the dude in R/S/E who's freaking out about new pokemon footprints and later admits he somehow confused his own for a new pokemon species.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Nah the best is still the first. A pissed off old guy who needs his morning coffee damnit!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
pissed off old dude was certainly the most realistic of the human roadblocks

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zore posted:

Honestly I don't get the appeal for going wherever or doing gyms in any order. I'd rather a more tightly curated experience because level scaling has historically been incredibly awful and the games I can think of that tried the 'Do it in whatever order!' tend to suffer a lot for it because everything has to be so generic and can't assume or tie into anything else in case you haven't done it.

Just do not see the appeal.
On the other hand, Alpha Protocol. :v:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

"Gee I'm thirsty, though. Oh, wait there, the road's closed."

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm actually a little disappointed that the arbitrary roadblocks peaked at the inexplicable dancers. The ones I've seen so far in Sun/Moon are "eh" compared to ones we've seen and I don't remember X/Y's at all.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This has been a fun read as a non-Pokemon guy but I will say, as someone who is just experiencing Gen2 Pokes due to GO, there is probably some serious nostalgia going on among y'all. The designs in this game are not that much worse than Gen2s which are hideous for the most part.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

theshim posted:

On the other hand, Alpha Protocol. :v:

Was amazing, but required a ton of work, only a fraction of which the player would see on any given playthrough. It's understandable that most games aren't willing to invest that much effort into anticipating, tracking, and responding to the player's actions.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
"Doing gyms in any order" is one of those ideas that sounds good only to people that refuse to think out the implications, and/or have forgotten about GSC somehow. The game devs have learned their lesson about that. It COULD be done effectively, but it would require far more work than just railroading.
The railroading made a lot more sense with the Island Trials, though, because it felt like a ramping-up progression (though, if they do a B2/W2 type-thing with Sun/Moon, as seems to make the most sense, there's a lot of room for improvement in how the Island Trials function - Sophocles' was wildly underwhelming, for example).

I had an idea for a nontraditional game progression that draws from both Island Trials and gym battles, with 18 type masters, each with their own challenge that you have to pass through before battling them - one based on teaching a virtue that they consider important. Like, the first one, the Water expert, would have a fishing challenge designed to test patience. but it would still be mostly linear, aside from having to pass through a few places containing the challenges without doing them due to plot, and then looping back around later (the map would be designed to bring you back there when you need to, ala the fairly elegant spoke-and-hub design of Kalos).

I think if you don't like unnatural gating and yet want a linear path, you could make it so you CAN get to other areas, but the levels of the Pokemon are prohibitively high for where you are, and if you do try to sequence break, the leader is out, or says "come back when you have x badges". So practically nowhere is barred to you, but you get an idea fairly quickly of where you are not yet supposed to go.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

weekly font posted:

This has been a fun read as a non-Pokemon guy but I will say, as someone who is just experiencing Gen2 Pokes due to GO, there is probably some serious nostalgia going on among y'all. The designs in this game are not that much worse than Gen2s which are hideous for the most part.

I'm gonna assume you haven't seen any of the designs past where OFS is right now because that's really wrong. Holy poo poo the designs in this game are awful.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Color Printer posted:

I'm actually a little disappointed that the arbitrary roadblocks peaked at the inexplicable dancers. The ones I've seen so far in Sun/Moon are "eh" compared to ones we've seen and I don't remember X/Y's at all.
The only one I remember from X/Y is the blackout in Lumiose. Which still had NPCs walking in and out, and lights in the buildings at night.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Bloody Pom posted:

The funniest thing about this is that the blog's avatar is an Incineroar :eng99:

You mean Persian :eng101:

Honestly that joke could have done with more Fighting single-types but I still love it to bits.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

weekly font posted:

I think that might just be attributable to a lot of the ultra-common Gen 2 pokés being a little odd.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

Gen 2 was pretty inoffensive. The same can be said of some of the designs here, sure, but we're like one gym in and Uranium already has a lot to answer for (I'm looking at you Barewl.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Straight White Shark posted:

but we're like one gym in

There are 188 new designs - Pokemon and form changes - created for Pokemon Uranium. We have seen 12 of them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

There are 188 new designs - Pokemon and form changes - created for Pokemon Uranium. We have seen 12 of them.

This is a legit counterpoint to me. I've only seen the Rattata/Weedle level dudes of this game but I've also only seen that level of Gen2 so far but like Spinarak wouldn't be out of place in Uranium.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Spinarak's adorable and great, actually, unlike the fact that :siren: there are trade evolutions in this fangame :siren:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

alcharagia posted:

:siren: there are trade evolutions in this fangame :siren:

Yes we get it it's an abomination beyond abominations give it a loving rest already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Spinarek might have a dumb design, but its a competently drawn one. You can tell its a cute little spider with a stinger on its head. Compare that to uraniums barrell/corkscrew/blotch of brown and grey pixels.

• Locked thread