Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Moreau posted:

Sweet lord above, this looks awful.

I do not understand why it is so difficult for Hollywood to do a medieval movie, and why Hollywood keeps returning to this particularly tainted well.

I would say the Crusades are right there, but then I remember Kingdom of Heaven and I just start incoherently screeching...

Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut) is actually amazing though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pierogi posted:

I can't unsee that Watson looks like the Gaston faceswap meme. It's probably the eyebrows.

well tHANK YOU now i cannot unsee it too.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

StarMinstrel posted:

well tHANK YOU now i cannot unsee it too.

:tipshat:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jedit posted:

I need fewer films that blatantly steal from John Carpenter in my life. The effects, logo and half the premise are lifted directly from The Thing, the rest of the setup is his favoured "Rio Bravo" scenario.

John Carpenter deserves to be stolen from though, in a good way.
He has a unique style that doesn't get used anymore because he hasn't made a good film in over 20 years.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 21, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
The Surrounding Game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFgauzMsjjA

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Deakul posted:

He has a unique style that doesn't get used anymore because he hasn't made a good film in over 20 years.

I love it when elements of his work serve as inspiration for stuff like The Guest or Doomsday, but we've got enough creatively bankrupt note-for-note nostalgia trips going on as it is. Carpenter doesn't need to be added to those.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Deakul posted:

Do shorts count? He directed these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3_QOVaBA98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TRj6Dt2lrA

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Looks good, but drat if every shot seemed off axis? Especially all the ambiance shots?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

feedmyleg posted:

Don't worry, Robin Hood: Origins just started filming and set photos show that they're tackling the Crusades. Whew!

To be fair, the story of Robin Hood is set during one of the crusades, and the rightful king, Richard the Lionhearted, has buggered off to go fight in the Middle East, leaving the uber-rear end in a top hat Prince John in charge.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

maybe the kid will die like the one in avp: requiem

i honestly don't remember much about the movie other than "the kid gets killed???" and at least half the body counts are shown in the trailer

The other crazy part of that movie was when the pred-alien found itself to a pregnancy word and shoved eggs down a bunch of like 9 months pregnant women. Next time you see the room, they're all dead with their stomachs burst open.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

The other crazy part of that movie was when the pred-alien found itself to a pregnancy word and shoved eggs down a bunch of like 9 months pregnant women. Next time you see the room, they're all dead with their stomachs burst open.

I guess stuff like that can cross a line for people, but establishing just how amoral the aliens are makes sense when you're trying to create a contrast with the hero, given the hero is a character known for skinning people and hanging them from trees.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Deakul posted:

In The Mouth of Madness came out in 94 so I'll accept this.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
On the Carpenter-esque topic, Seth Ickerman and Carpenter Brut are currently working on a 30-minute film called Blood Machines.

It's a sequel to their Turbo Killer video, so just pretend that's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dillbag posted:

Not a trailer per se, but...

https://twitter.com/BonafideBlack/status/833709665410117632

SHANE, WHY IS THERE A loving LITTLE KID IN THE NEW PREDATOR MOVIE?!?!

:fuckoff:

that kid is Jacob Tremblay from Room, one of the best child actors to come around in a long time, though

Alehkhs posted:

On the Carpenter-esque topic, Seth Ickerman and Carpenter Brut are currently working on a 30-minute film called Blood Machines.

gently caress yes

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alehkhs posted:

It's a sequel to their Turbo Killer video, so just pretend that's the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

Going to see Carpenter Brut in March in Los Angeles. :mmmhmm:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that kid is Jacob Tremblay from Room, one of the best child actors to come around in a long time, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBDwjEhPd98

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

gently caress, he's only playing an Austin date, not a Houston one :smith:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Moreau posted:

I would say the Crusades are right there, but then I remember Kingdom of Heaven and I just start incoherently screeching...

What, people couldn't understand that you were screaming "the director's cut of this movie is really great!"?

Sir Kodiak posted:

I guess stuff like that can cross a line for people, but establishing just how amoral the aliens are makes sense when you're trying to create a contrast with the hero, given the hero is a character known for skinning people and hanging them from trees.

Only people who are armed and can theoretically fight back.

Theoretically (realistically can't beat a guy who cloaks and uses aimbot laser to near-instantly eliminate all threats)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Only people who are armed and can theoretically fight back.

Theoretically (realistically can't beat a guy who cloaks and uses aimbot laser to near-instantly eliminate all threats)

Well, exactly. It's got a code of ethics, but it's so absurdly weighted in its favor you need the aliens to do something pretty degenerate to have it be something it wouldn't do.

Doesn't Schwarzenegger end up unarmed by the end of the movie anyways? Been a bit since I've seen it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Well, exactly. It's got a code of ethics, but it's so absurdly weighted in its favor you need the aliens to do something pretty degenerate to have it be something it wouldn't do.

Doesn't Schwarzenegger end up unarmed by the end of the movie anyways? Been a bit since I've seen it.

He techs down when he realises this renders him invisible to the Predator and uses his opponent's own tactics against him (going invisible, being all sneaky and poo poo and setting up traps all over the place to gently caress him up), and is only caught out when he slips up and loses his cloaking.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
The original Predator is very much about Masculinity, so yes he ends up with just a rock at the end. Kind of like how in Die Hard, John keeps shedding the trappings of civilized clothes.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, it's worth remembering that in terms of representation of women and the main protagonist's attitudes towards them, the 2 big McTiernan films of the 80s were pretty drat progressive for its time.

In Predator, once Dutch realises his team are in deeper poo poo than they initially realised, he treats Anna as an equal and is never really sexualised in any way.

In Die Hard, while McClane does show some conservative views on his wife's work, he immediately regrets taking a stance that effectively causes an argument during what should be a joyful reunion (when he admonishes himself in the private rest room in her office while she's attending Takagi's Christmas Party address), expresses remorse over the way he treated his wife prior to the estrangement of their marriage (when he's talking to Powell over the radio while pulling shards of glass out of his feet) and in the end, he's on his way to becoming a supportive husband in her choice to pursue a career (when he introduces Holly as "Holly Gennaro" to Powell). He even acknowledges just about every woman he comes across in the film, including the pin-up of the topless lady in the construction area in the roof.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Holy poo poo

the same guy made Die Hard and Predator??

:stare:

That man is a bonafide genuine god drat hero/genius

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Hero and great director, yes. Genius, no.

He lied to the FBI and got caught, then fired his lawyer when offered a 4 month sentence, or something to that effect. When he went to trial he got 12 months in the slammer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spatula City posted:

To be fair, the story of Robin Hood is set during one of the crusades, and the rightful king, Richard the Lionhearted, has buggered off to go fight in the Middle East, leaving the uber-rear end in a top hat Prince John in charge.

Also it won't be the first Robin Hood film to features the crusades: Robin Hood: Prince of Thievesand its parody Robin Hood: Men in Tights both started in Jerusalem, off the top of my head.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

rawillkill posted:

Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut) is actually amazing though?

Does it cut the godawful HELLO I AM 21ST CENTURY HUMANISM SPEAKING speech at the end?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

flosofl posted:

I was just thinking about that movie the other day, wondering when it was being released.

I want this to be good.

If you want a lot of tentacular monstrosities, it's got you covered. Script is a bit lacking but you can't have everything.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Sir Kodiak posted:

You can kind of apply that to most superheroes though. While they aren't skinning people they are fighting opponents vastly weaker than themselves because they've deemed them a legitimate target. Yet superhero movies easily convince us the hero is the one to root for without having their opponents kill entire wards of pregnant women.

Not that I mean to be too critical, I just find it funny how much your point applies to characters like Captain America or even James Bond yet how differently we as an audience view them.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Hero and great director, yes. Genius, no.

He lied to the FBI and got caught, then fired his lawyer when offered a 4 month sentence, or something to that effect. When he went to trial he got 12 months in the slammer.

His career also fizzled out very rapidly in the 90s, with a string of flops. He does have The Hunt For Red October, Die Hard With a Vengeance and The Thomas Crown Affair remake to his name - all of which were either commercially successful, critically successful or both, but for every critical or commercial hit he made, it was followed up with a massive flop or two like Rollerball or Last Action Hero.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I saw a bit of Rollerball when I was a kid & I didn't want to watch it because it reminded me of Network, which I do remember liking but since I saw it when I was 12 it purely exists in my memories as this stressful feeling of people constantly sweating and being horrible to each other.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I saw Alien at 12 and was fine. I am glad I did not see Network at 12.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I saw Andrei Rublev at age 12, and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover at age 7.

Guess what kind of broken human I turned out to be! :smithicide:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

I saw a bit of Rollerball when I was a kid & I didn't want to watch it because it reminded me of Network, which I do remember liking but since I saw it when I was 12 it purely exists in my memories as this stressful feeling of people constantly sweating and being horrible to each other.

Have you seen The Running Man?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't you ever disparage a Schwarzenegger film. They are all amazing in their own right.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

Don't you ever disparage a Schwarzenegger film. They are all amazing in their own right.

Running Man doesn't 100% hold up today, I'm sad to say. Predator and Total Recall definitely do because of their respective directors (and obviously the first two Terminators). And Commando is still watchable because of the cheese factor. But RM doesn't quite have the spark that Commando does that helps you ignore the fact that it's not terribly well made.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

ReV VAdAUL posted:

You can kind of apply that to most superheroes though. While they aren't skinning people they are fighting opponents vastly weaker than themselves because they've deemed them a legitimate target. Yet superhero movies easily convince us the hero is the one to root for without having their opponents kill entire wards of pregnant women.

Not that I mean to be too critical, I just find it funny how much your point applies to characters like Captain America or even James Bond yet how differently we as an audience view them.

I appreciate the point, but I do think you're underselling the impact of a character hunting for pleasure, skinning his victims, and hanging them from trees as trophies. Or that superheroes, in general, are picking their targets based on something other than who would be the most fun to kill.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dillbag posted:

Running Man doesn't 100% hold up today, I'm sad to say. Predator and Total Recall definitely do because of their respective directors (and obviously the first two Terminators). And Commando is still watchable because of the cheese factor. But RM doesn't quite have the spark that Commando does that helps you ignore the fact that it's not terribly well made.

ftfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy8rT8oHCbI

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Running Man rules and the supporting cast crushes it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Running Man rules and the supporting cast crushes it.

This. That guy above is nuts. That movie is entertaining as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also it won't be the first Robin Hood film to features the crusades: Robin Hood: Prince of Thievesand its parody Robin Hood: Men in Tights both started in Jerusalem, off the top of my head.

Don't forget Robin Hood : Thief of Wives!!

• Locked thread