Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's fine if the protagonist rarely dabbles outside of links (Yuya's best duels in ARC-V are all back from before he got Rebellion Dragon when it was still Odd-Eyes & Performapal OTK city) but what really killed Zexal for me was that way too many of the decks could be summed up with 'way to summon materials for a NUMBER XYZ monster' which got old really fast. Raidraptors were that entire design philosophy pushed to its logic conclusion and I really hope we're not going back to that for an entire show again since link-summoning is so mechanically similar to XYZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

Bring back Jaden

I saw a random episode where Jaden dueled a dude that wanted to build the Duel Academy except underwater and after winning he gets kidnapped and it cuts to a week later to a scuffed up Jaden returning to Duel Academy in a smoking boat with no explanation of how he escaped.

GX owns.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I saw a random episode where Jaden dueled a dude that wanted to build the Duel Academy except underwater and after winning he gets kidnapped and it cuts to a week later to a scuffed up Jaden returning to Duel Academy in a smoking boat with no explanation of how he escaped.

GX owns.

There is an episode were jaden gets hammered and jumps out a burning building.

Never got dubbed which is where GX shined.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
back at class they never taught us this

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

some things you gotta learn hit or miss

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They did. It's called Yu-Gi-Oh! Gx

(And 5D's during its first 26 episodes and whenever Jack Atlas is on screen)

And ZeXal but I know i'm the only one here that thinks that.

I also liked ZeXal, although I agree with the majority opinion that ZeXal II is infinitely better than ZeXal I. That second opening is so good, I never skipped it.
https://youtu.be/l5PPIjTh_Ic

4Kids has never let me down with an anime OP.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Even the pirate rap?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

Even the pirate rap?

Is that a One Piece reference....?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Unfortunately.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MiddleOne posted:

Is that a One Piece reference....?

I cannot even fathom what other pirate rap you think this might be referencing

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I cannot even fathom what other pirate rap you think this might be referencing

Ever heard of Captain Dan? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYE17aWU4i4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is an episode were jaden gets hammered and jumps out a burning building.

Never got dubbed which is where GX shined.

Oh yeah I remember that episode becuase after that was dino guy's duel where he could have won but the bad guy showed him his past life as a dinosaur.

It's just I don't remember many episodes from the Shadow Rider arc. Like I also caught the one before the one I posted about which was the Amazoness duel which I remember, but I don't remember the part where Bastion loses and then Jaden's duel with her where their souls literally fight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think ill make a vrains AMV

The music will be linkin park

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8246R_OsdA

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

HOLD THE gently caress UP

I JUST REALIZED

ARC-V FORGOT ABOUT ROGER

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dexie posted:

HOLD THE gently caress UP

I JUST REALIZED

ARC-V FORGOT ABOUT ROGER

He... Died?

If they've been saving him for a last minute reveal that is it, then I'm also turning on Arc-V.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

He got sucked into the hole between dimensions, which is exactly where Yuya is headed right now.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Roger coming back would be the best way to end this. It would just be so perfect. :allears:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm more concerned about the ghosts they introduced six weeks ago than anything. Roger's probably just dead. Heck, with the time left on the show it's actually kinda dicey if we'll even go back to Synchro.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm more concerned about the ghosts they introduced six weeks ago than anything. Roger's probably just dead. Heck, with the time left on the show it's actually kinda dicey if we'll even go back to Synchro.

As if the show seems to have any idea what the finale is going to be at the moment. It feels like we're watching the worlds longest epilogue.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dexie posted:

Unfortunately.

The One Piece Pirate Rap is good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Someplace somewhere RANK10YGO is crying

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MiddleOne posted:

As if the show seems to have any idea what the finale is going to be at the moment. It feels like we're watching the worlds longest epilogue.

This was likely planned from the beginning. After all...Standard, Synchro, Xyz, Fusion, Pendulum. This is the fifth arc.

It doesn't stop it from feeling like an extended epilogue though, yeah. The actual threat was already beaten down, but you could argue that Yuya's proper enemy is neither Academia nor Zarc, but people who aren't egaoing.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
To be fair, as we've been shown, Declan and Riley were the true protagonists, with Yuya being the secret antagonist.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yuya's quest has always been to save Yuzu and prove egao true. The show has artificially extended the road to these goals many times and this epilogue arc is no different.

But, tbh, Yuya dueling Serena would get me on board. I don't have too many positive feelings for Dennis but it's neat to give him closure, and lmao more Shun sure, but calling out Serena specifically as someone he needs to beat for the Maiami Cup is kinda dope and unexpected. After the last year of the yugirls being plot points rather than characters, i'd welcome a duel from one of them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

At least this makes 5Ds last season seem good by comparison

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm not sure I buy the concept here (making Reira smile will banish Zarc's spirit from him and this will somehow also save Yuzu?), but sure, we never got Yuya vs. Dennis or Yuya vs. Shun, so they're new matches, at least.

That leaves about 3-4 more episodes after Yuya vs. Shun, right? So they'll have to go into the final duel pretty quick. I can at least hope that'll be Yuya vs. Yuzu.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It'll be Yuya vs. Reiji because the creators hate us.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

5D's, for all its issues, at least had an excuse of the huge Roma-Sophie Society scandal, which one of their cast members turned out to be a member of, and the card game struggling to do things with Synchro (armored and synchro-fusion) and enforcing it on the anime. The Arc Cradle stuff was at least Cool and had people doing stuff, and LSD was dumb in how delayed it was but it was payoff we got! 5D's had a road filled with potholes due to exterior stuff, Arc-V had the smoothest road and somehow 5D's was the better drive.

VJeff posted:

I'm not sure I buy the concept here (making Reira smile will banish Zarc's spirit from him and this will somehow also save Yuzu?), but sure, we never got Yuya vs. Dennis or Yuya vs. Shun, so they're new matches, at least.

That leaves about 3-4 more episodes after Yuya vs. Shun, right? So they'll have to go into the final duel pretty quick. I can at least hope that'll be Yuya vs. Yuzu.

2-3 sounds more likely. VRAINS is set to move Yugioh back to Wednesday in April, and there's a "special" before it. No confirmations, but this could mean the last Sunday of March gets a lead-in episode (like we got for ZeXal and Arc-V each a week before their premiere) or the first Sunday of April. Arc V may or may not get an episode on March 26, if it does it'd be 148 and that's most likely where it ends.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Gong is a true baller, willing to help out and having that ace card just waiting to steam roller Yuya's deck.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Logicblade posted:

Much like John Cena, Yuya's gotta get his win back. :v:

I disagree. Arc-V was extremely disappointing in its second half but it didn't actively and constantly piss me off like 5D's did.

It is an interesting question about what's worse, though:
- 5D's had tons and TONS of filler (Crash Town, et al.) to constantly divert attention from the main plots of WRGP and Yliaster. There was legitimately like 30 or 40 episodes of the second half of 5D's that were totally worthless, which is a good 40-50% of the entire arc.
- Arc-V pretty much stuck to its plot the whole way through but stretched it sooooooo ridiculously thin in some parts that it became impossible to keep caring and rushed through it at obnoxiously fast speeds at other times so it was impossible to get invested.

Both shows are kinda the inverse of each other, when you think about it. :(

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

VJeff posted:

Much like John Cena, Yuya's gotta get his win back. :v:
I agree, let's end on Yuya vs Zuzu.

quote:

I disagree. Arc-V was extremely disappointing in its second half but it didn't actively and constantly piss me off like 5D's did.

- 5D's had tons and TONS of filler (Crash Town, et al.) to constantly divert attention from the main plots of WRGP and Yliaster. There was legitimately like 30 or 40 episodes of the second half of 5D's that were totally worthless, which is a good 40-50% of the entire arc.
- Arc-V pretty much stuck to its plot the whole way through but stretched it sooooooo ridiculously thin in some parts that it became impossible to keep caring and rushed through it at obnoxiously fast speeds at other times so it was impossible to get invested.

Counterpoint: Crash Town loving owned.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Senerio posted:

I agree, let's end on Yuya vs Zuzu.

Counterpoint: Crash Town loving owned.

I HATED Crash Town. Kiryu's a loving lamewad, his redemption arc sucked, we didn't get to see any of the cool characters for two goddamn months and it wound up not meaning a single goddamn thing in the grand scheme of things.

Infernities and that dude who had an OTK deck on a giant driller was metal as gently caress. That is the only concession I will make.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
in the parallel universe where the quality of the first fifty episode was remotely kept up with arc-v is the best ygo series

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I still say Arc-V hasn't had any one single moment as infuriating as END YOUR drat TURN, JEAN!

At least Yuya lost sometimes. :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

VJeff posted:

Here's the thing for me: Those two points are exactly why I take 5D's over AV. AV stuck to its main conflict so loving much over 150 episodes that there's a dire, dire need of the cast to get to breathe and do anything. In lack of Sawatari actually talking to Serena, or Gongenzaka getting more than three lines of dialogue with Reiji, I had to take refuge in BB. "Filler" is never automatically bad, it's good to deviate from the main story, it's good to let your cast breathe and do other things rather than follow a main path nonstop. Instead of the Friendship Cup taking about 30 episodes, there shoulda been something where Serena gets a solo story or exploring Dennis' return to Academia before he kills himself in front of Yusho.

Most of 5D's poo poo was bad, but gently caress, at least Jack Atlas punched some drug dealers and Aki went skating with Yusei as she became Will E. Coyote trying to riding duel. Random Police Officer That's Gay For Jack got to be a thing for a little bit at least. All AV has under its belt is a pirate for an episode just so we could return to the status quo of Yuzu never gets to duel or be close to Yuya, and BB which lasted too long but at least gave characters moments and Yuya the chance to show some emotional maturity before losing his egao again.

Also Crash Town had The Classy rear end flower shop.

Dexie posted:

I still say Arc-V hasn't had any one single moment as infuriating as END YOUR drat TURN, JEAN!

This is true. At least 5D's gave me emotions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dexie posted:

At least Yuya lost sometimes. :argh:

I agree I actually cared when poo poo happened in 5Ds

Now I'm just like "Yeah Crow sure did beat another character better than him." "Yeah another Lancer sure did get jobbed out." "Yeah Reiji sure does exist."

At least I got mad at 5Ds, at least I loving cared.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Yeah...Arc V was a pretty classic tale of the writers spinning gold into garbage. Spending the first season building up a likable cast only to throw them into the jobbing grinder or chain them to the background during the 5ds masturbation arc in service of flat characters like Yugo and Crow...going nowhere, only letting Yuya accomplish anything and trapping his character arc in a loop, showing how fun and exciting the girls duels could be and then never giving them another one...it sucks because every now and then the show gets it so RIGHT but the writers immediately go hard in the wrong direction in response...they even ruined the purest archetype, Trains!!!!!! It's just, really unfortunate that what could have been a really good show was determined not to be...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Logicblade posted:

As much as an insufferable shithead as Reiji is, I loving love his deck. Its so masturbatory. And when he just no-sells everything Yuya did in their second duel...classic. :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
That was a really good duel against Dennis. And Dennis shows again he is still a better successor to Yusho than Yuya ever will be.