Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

No specific game, but long opening cutscenes. Because nothing kills my enthusiasm for a game more thoroughly than having to sit through a lovely five minute cartoon before I actually get to play it. You can't skip though because then you won't know what you're supposed to be doing.

This goes doubly for any game where you need to actually start the game before you can adjust the volume, screen resolution or subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

No specific game, but long opening cutscenes. Because nothing kills my enthusiasm for a game more thoroughly than having to sit through a lovely five minute cartoon before I actually get to play it. You can't skip though because then you won't know what you're supposed to be doing.
I dunno, I kinda like a nice slab of opening exposition. Puts me in the mood for a nice long experience. Better if it's got some mild gameplay to ease you into the tutorial.

Tiggum posted:

This goes doubly for any game where you need to actually start the game before you can adjust the volume, screen resolution or subtitles.
But yes, this times five. If your opening cutscene is laggy and stuttering and poo poo that's on you, game.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I still haven't gotten my PC back running so let me bitch about FC3 a little more - the fight with Buck is anticlimactic bullshit. You jump through all these hoops to find your friend Keith and this smarmy rear end in a top hat (Buck has had the best characterization and voice acting in the game so far, he's just so fun to hate) kept pushing you further. Then you kill him in a short quick time event in a weird dreamy arena you barely see it's over so fast.

Another thing that bugged me about the whole sequence is that Buck totally forgets what his leverage actually is. At one point you tell him to gently caress off and he radios his friend to kill Keith before you apologize. Except....Jason is like a very angry wood chipper with a shitload of guns, and if Keith is dead there's no reason at all not to dump Buck's corpse into a gully and forget about him. Of course Jason's also not very bright, so he doesn't think to press the issue.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

food court bailiff posted:

I still haven't gotten my PC back running so let me bitch about FC3 a little more - the fight with Buck is anticlimactic bullshit. You jump through all these hoops to find your friend Keith and this smarmy rear end in a top hat (Buck has had the best characterization and voice acting in the game so far, he's just so fun to hate) kept pushing you further. Then you kill him in a short quick time event in a weird dreamy arena you barely see it's over so fast.

Another thing that bugged me about the whole sequence is that Buck totally forgets what his leverage actually is. At one point you tell him to gently caress off and he radios his friend to kill Keith before you apologize. Except....Jason is like a very angry wood chipper with a shitload of guns, and if Keith is dead there's no reason at all not to dump Buck's corpse into a gully and forget about him. Of course Jason's also not very bright, so he doesn't think to press the issue.

If Keith's dead everything you've done for Buck has been in vain, and you've lost more than just your brother/sanity. Buck is literally your only chance to save Keith. If this was a spy flick and Keith didn't matter as long as you got one over on Buck, then yeah leverage lost. But dead Keith isn't a null for Jason, it's a failure state. Buck can't kill him off without a cost, sure, but you can't call that bluff without losing it all. You're not a chosen one. You're probably not even the first one Buck has done this to.

And, uh, get used to that quicktime bullshit. All the boss fights resolve with something like that. Though the last one is a little bit special and makes up for the last island's crappy pacing somewhat.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I get that, it just kind of falls flat when Buck pulls that poo poo so flippantly after I've killed dozens of Vaas's thugs within the last ten minutes alone and am standing in front of him with an RPG7.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

food court bailiff posted:

I get that, it just kind of falls flat when Buck pulls that poo poo so flippantly after I've killed dozens of Vaas's thugs within the last ten minutes alone and am standing in front of him with an RPG7.

There is not really a game where all of your direct in game actions follow you around like a cloak inside the cut scene zone. Well except for Alpha Protocol.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It seems World of Final Fantasy is robbing itself of some tactical depth by not allowing you to change forms in battle. I don't really get the changing gimmick in light of that. Otherwise it's delightful though and should have gotten the roman numeral.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Feonir posted:

There is not really a game where all of your direct in game actions follow you around like a cloak inside the cut scene zone. Well except for Alpha Protocol.

The thing dragging every game other than Alpha Protocol down is that they're not Alpha Protocol.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Kontradaz posted:

What the gently caress was Kojima thinking

The guy went insane during the development of MGS2 and that game, plus the latter 95% of his works have been "gently caress you the player for actually liking video games".

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Der Kyhe posted:

The guy went insane during the development of MGS2 and that game, plus the latter 95% of his works have been "gently caress you the player for actually liking video games".

i know isn't it great?

Sunswipe posted:

The thing dragging every game other than Alpha Protocol down is that they're not Alpha Protocol.

i'm really impressed that obsidian were able to make a light stealth game out of mass effect's structure.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Der Kyhe posted:

he loves you. it's a brutal, harsh yet tender love. you just have to trust him

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he loves you. it's a brutal, harsh yet tender love. you just have to trust him

A love that crushes, like a mace.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Slime posted:

A love that crushes, like a mace.

A love that blooms anywhere.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Somfin posted:

A love that blooms anywhere.

even on the battlefield?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Testekill posted:

even on the battlefield?

Well where the gently caress else are you going to find the mace to get crushed by?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I thought love WAS a battlefield. Or am I mixing up videogames and the works of Pat Benatar?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

I thought love WAS a battlefield. Or am I mixing up videogames and the works of Pat Benatar?

I heard MGSV had Laura Branigan's Gloria in it. How could it not have Pat Benatar as well?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Because MGSV lets you add any music you want as long as its in a specific folder and, i think, mp3 format.

I wish more games allowed for custom music insertion. I cant remember Watch Dogs 2's options but I found that game's soundtrack way more lacklustre than the first game, or GTA 5

you may die
Dec 15, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

FFXII had the best run action

Hell yeah, I liked how that there was that one big dinosaur in that first desert area that doesn't give a poo poo about you unless you get too close to it and you're not levelled high enough to kill it so you have to just avoid it or run past it. It made it feel like there's an actual world with an actual ecosystem there, not just a series of gates designed to guide the player through the narrative in the correct order. Of course, they didn't really do much of that later on in the game. Still my favourite jrpg combat system.

Kontradaz posted:

gently caress one of the ending battles of Metal Gear Solid 2. The last 10% of the game literally becomes a lovely version of tekken or some dumb poo poo where you fight some dude with the worst controls ever (no autolock on LOL have fun swinging into the air thousands of times) and it absolutely ruins the good will the game had up to this point. What the gently caress was Kojima and team thinking taking a "tactical espionage game" and shoving in loving sword fights in it like it's revengeance.

I similarly threw a gigantic fit at the end of Metal Gear Solid 1 where you have the fist fight.

Metal Gear 1 and 2 never had these issues because they were made before Kojima lost his mind. (at least the fist fight at end of M2 wasn't annoyingly hard)

Wait til you get to MGS4

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm really impressed that obsidian were able to make a light stealth modern fantasy wuxia game out of mass effect's structure.

Seriously, if you're not playing AP as a magical invisible ninja knocking dudes out in plain sight of their friends, you need help.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Something in Dishonored 2 really broke my suspension of disbelief. at the start of the... sixth? mission you enter the area through a sewer style tunnel in a boat. Then you go up ~20-30 feet and exit to see a sweeping vista of the city. And many hundreds of feet below is the ocean, where your little skiff came from. I still have no idea how that was supposed to work.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CommissarMega posted:

Seriously, if you're not playing AP as a magical invisible ninja knocking dudes out in plain sight of their friends, you need help.

Max chainshotting is too potent a power to pass up

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The Witcher 3 is the best game of all time except that it keeps throwing you into fistfights. Normally Geralt is an acrobatic athletic swordy magic man but somehow in fistfights he turns into a slow canned-animation boxer that can barely take a few hits.

Against the actual boxing challenges worth money in the game most of them are one on one and parrying is easy so this isn't an issue. But occasionally you get thrown into a fight with two or three guys because of a quest and it's pretty much a crapshoot whether you'll win or not depending on how the camera and targeting behaves.
And you can't cast your spells either, despite this not being any kind of 'honorable duel', so you can't magically shield yourself or force-push the guys or set them on fire or whatever.

Also playing the game without an SSD is painful and made me put it down on my PS4 and pick up the GOTY a year later on PC once I had a good enough one.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ashsaber posted:

Something in Dishonored 2 really broke my suspension of disbelief. at the start of the... sixth? mission you enter the area through a sewer style tunnel in a boat. Then you go up ~20-30 feet and exit to see a sweeping vista of the city. And many hundreds of feet below is the ocean, where your little skiff came from. I still have no idea how that was supposed to work.

In a world that has automatons with IFF features, walls of light and other near magical technology I am going to suppose a sea faring race would have figured one of these bad boys out.

Moving up a ship from the ocean is a trivial matter with a lock.

**Ninja Edit, Dishonored one literally starts Corvo off on a boat, same as your D2 boat, going up a massive lock to meet with the Empress actually.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Ashsaber posted:

If you look up in thee city in some parts you'll see a bunch of tubes so it's less a sewer more an aqueduct.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

bewilderment posted:

The Witcher 3 is the best game of all time except that it keeps throwing you into fistfights. Normally Geralt is an acrobatic athletic swordy magic man but somehow in fistfights he turns into a slow canned-animation boxer that can barely take a few hits.

Against the actual boxing challenges worth money in the game most of them are one on one and parrying is easy so this isn't an issue. But occasionally you get thrown into a fight with two or three guys because of a quest and it's pretty much a crapshoot whether you'll win or not depending on how the camera and targeting behaves.
And you can't cast your spells either, despite this not being any kind of 'honorable duel', so you can't magically shield yourself or force-push the guys or set them on fire or whatever.

Also playing the game without an SSD is painful and made me put it down on my PS4 and pick up the GOTY a year later on PC once I had a good enough one.

The loading times were probably a major factor in my opinion that Witcher 3 might not even be the best game of May 2015.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I played Witcher 3 for a few hours, got bored. Geralt's attacks felt so slow to come out, even on his faster attacks.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I beat the final boss of World of Final Fantasy and it told me to beat him again after doing all the intervention quests. I'm guessing this means without all the healing items I used for the "final" battle because I thought it would be the last one.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Feonir posted:

In a world that has automatons with IFF features, walls of light and other near magical technology I am going to suppose a sea faring race would have figured one of these bad boys out.

**Ninja Edit, Dishonored one literally starts Corvo off on a boat, same as your D2 boat, going up a massive lock to meet with the Empress actually.

Tardcore posted:

If you look up in thee city in some parts you'll see a bunch of tubes so it's less a sewer more an aqueduct.

Yeah, it could have been a lock or aqueduct, but why would they even have something like that. In the first one the lock is something for the palace, which sits just above the river. Here we've apparently made our way through most of the city, avoiding being seen by guards the entire way, and end up in the poorest district in town, probably over a mile from the sea. Its probably not for hauling cargo, since they have rail-lines for that. It just feels off to arrive by water somewhere that high up.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Feonir posted:

Yeah no I was thinking the same thing, but having a water lock for a sewer doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

I mean, yeah if it was a big ol' waterlock to interact with the mines or something maybe but I think it was probs just a lil fuckup

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yeah no I was thinking the same thing, but having a water lock for a sewer doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

I mean, yeah if it was a big ol' waterlock to interact with the mines or something maybe but I think it was probs just a lil fuckup

Yeah it was less to answer the why and more to answer the how. The why is video games and the programmers could only be flogged into providing one means of opening a level up.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Sorry your bff couldn't punt people into space. That must have been a terrible childhood.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm playing through the Definitive Edition of Sleeping Dogs and the girlfriend missions make no sense.

I met a white girl named Amanda. On our date she referenced a dress that I apparently bought her previously even though this was apparently our first date. Then I never saw or heard from her again.

Then I met Tiffany. On our "date" she explicitly called me a client. But just now a guy named Calvin told me that whore is cheating on me and I had to tap a payphone to confirm it. Wei is a creepy motherfucker who seems very controlling around women and these missions only make sense if you assume Wei is the type of guy that woman need to ghost after one date cause he gets obsessive.

Luckily I've already had one date with Not-Ping. We seemed to hit it off so I'm sure Wei will see plenty more of her. ;-*

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I'm playing through the Definitive Edition of Sleeping Dogs and the girlfriend missions make no sense.

I met a white girl named Amanda. On our date she referenced a dress that I apparently bought her previously even though this was apparently our first date. Then I never saw or heard from her again.

Then I met Tiffany. On our "date" she explicitly called me a client. But just now a guy named Calvin told me that whore is cheating on me and I had to tap a payphone to confirm it. Wei is a creepy motherfucker who seems very controlling around women and these missions only make sense if you assume Wei is the type of guy that woman need to ghost after one date cause he gets obsessive.

Luckily I've already had one date with Not-Ping. We seemed to hit it off so I'm sure Wei will see plenty more of her. ;-*

All of the dates were going to be part of a larger relationship minigame / system but had to be cut at the last moment when funding dwindled and release dates approached.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wei is explicitly called out on his womanizing and attitude.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Feonir posted:

All of the dates were going to be part of a larger relationship minigame / system but had to be cut at the last moment when funding dwindled and release dates approached.

That makes sense but it seems they made the missions for the middle of each relationship first then never got around to making the beginning or end of any of them. Tiffany in particular is just so weird. We've only meet at the club where she works and she only refers to me as a client but now Wei is tapping a payphone because she's cheating on him? And there was that time she called me to say she was in trouble but when I went to the club all she wanted to do was sing kareoke.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

That makes sense but it seems they made the missions for the middle of each relationship first then never got around to making the beginning or end of any of them. Tiffany in particular is just so weird. We've only meet at the club where she works and she only refers to me as a client but now Wei is tapping a payphone because she's cheating on him? And there was that time she called me to say she was in trouble but when I went to the club all she wanted to do was sing kareoke.

Correct, all the dates were made first because they had to get something for the voice actors to voice and one of them was fairly expensive to get into the game IIRC. So just the first two were done with the ideal they could swing back around to it later, instead it just got tied into various upgrades for completing each.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sleeping Dogs is such a good game, but yeah having replayed it again recently, the dangling threads on the game are just so blatant in some places. :smith:

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Sleeping Dogs is such a good game, but yeah having replayed it again recently, the dangling threads on the game are just so blatant in some places. :smith:

And the best part is it was never expected to be good, the game itself was a scrapped True Crime Streets Of LA sequel. It just happened to be made into a magical Wei Shen knee breaking adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Feonir posted:

Correct, all the dates were made first because they had to get something for the voice actors to voice and one of them was fairly expensive to get into the game IIRC. So just the first two were done with the ideal they could swing back around to it later, instead it just got tied into various upgrades for completing each.

Amanda is voiced by Emma Stone for some baffling reason so they probably couldn't justify cutting her