Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's really only fitting in 2017 that someone whose fans talk about his prowess with business while forgetting all his failures at both business, and the sport of basketball, be allowed to fire someone who's helped create five Finals appearances, been consistently one consistently best drafters, and the guy who's known for fleecing other GMs in trades. This just sucks and I'd be angrier if I hadn't processed a lot of this already when the writing was on the wall. Oh well I'm sure the Lakers signing Rondo and trading their core and a draft pick for Melo in the offseason will make a lot of people laugh and the dumbest of dumb Lakers fans will think he's making the Lakers great again, but oh well, I'll always have the memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So, since Magic is basically doing the rounds with the press this afternoon, I wonder who has the authority to negotiate trades?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

It's really only fitting in 2017 that someone whose fans talk about his prowess with business while forgetting all his failures at both business, and the sport of basketball, be allowed to fire someone who's helped create five Finals appearances, been consistently one consistently best drafters, and the guy who's known for fleecing other GMs in trades. This just sucks and I'd be angrier if I hadn't processed a lot of this already when the writing was on the wall. Oh well I'm sure the Lakers signing Rondo and trading their core and a draft pick for Melo in the offseason will make a lot of people laugh and the dumbest of dumb Lakers fans will think he's making the Lakers great again, but oh well, I'll always have the memories.

Truly, he is the Trump of the NBA

http://deadspin.com/magic-johnson-tweets-his-way-into-a-job-hes-unqualified-1792591177

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Glumslinger posted:

That was when he sold his share of the Lakers

Incidentally, one of his many grievances against Mitch and Jim was that after he sold his shares, they no longer treated him like a team owner

Ahhhhhhh the Dodger's ownership; I should have gone up one more post.

Yeah, the only thing I can find is Magic returning to the Lakers and Guggenheim looking to sell a portion of ownership stake. There's nothing suggesting it was his part of the team or any sale at all went through.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

https://twitter.com/celticsnewswire/status/834046323078868993

I'm on team Drummond sucks, but he'd actually be amazing on the Celtics

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kevinding/status/834120168276004864

Just gently caress me up, fam

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Oh my god he really is Trump

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/KevinDing/status/834121275727491072

Kevin Ding is considered to be a mouthpiece for Jeanie

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

This really is insanely Trumpian

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

A trade market for Rondo emerges

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I thought Kobe's farewell tour was insane. But now they're straight up dropping napalm on the franchise and it's spellbinding.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Remember when the Lakers had to fire Magic less than a year ago because he kept loving tampering on twitter?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

The Glumslinger posted:

Remember when the Lakers had to fire Magic less than a year ago because he kept loving tampering on twitter?

Age of Trump bro

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Starting to do a 180 and think Knicks should maybe just let Rose expire. If we're gonna suck what's the point.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/834122782912946176

Either Woj is just copying the Ding rumors, or the Lakers are really in for a thousand years of darkness

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
As hard as it is to believe I am defending a FO that gave Luol Deng and Timofey Mozgov 34 million per year for the next 4 years, this was a dumb move. Kupchak was really good at his job and there was no path that was getting the Lakers into the playoffs already.

Who is else is ready for their team to be ruined this week?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Boosh! posted:

Starting to do a 180 and think Knicks should maybe just let Rose expire. If we're gonna suck what's the point.

If the Knicks can get Rubio he will make your sucky team about 1000% more fun. I'm going to be seriously depressed if Ricky gets shipped but other fans should get to enjoy his play.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The Knicks and Lakers both being completely dysfunctional dens of nepotism at the same time is too pure for this world.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
The hilarious thing is that if it wasn't for David Stern, the Lakers would have a solid core of Chris Paul and Dwight Howard right now

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/834123765726531587

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xbilkis posted:

Magic replacing Jim Buss (and forcing out Mitch in the process) is some real monkey's paw poo poo for Lakers fans

Man I've been saying for years and years that the media and Lakers fans were dumb as hell for wanting him out. Gosh maybe Bill Simmons being mad he always wears a hat and Lakers legends upset he ONLY has 75% of Showtime on the payroll, and ex-Phil Jackson baseball-style scouts are mad they got replaced with people who aren't just evaluating people on how they look isn't a reason to want an owner out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

It's been pointed out that he never had Pistons in his bio. He's loving around for fun.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Remember when everyone was complimenting the Lakers on tanking but doing it in stealth mode? It seemed like it was going so well. Someone should have told Jeanne.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's been pointed out that he never had Pistons in his bio. He's loving around for fun.

People have made speculation about the Celtics making a trade based on this kind of thing so much and every time I've seen a follow up of "Oh they never had it in there" or "Oh the Celtics were already following him."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Edit

Nope got it wrong

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jota posted:

People have made speculation about the Celtics making a trade based on this kind of thing so much and every time I've seen a follow up of "Oh they never had it in there" or "Oh the Celtics were already following him."
I was just saying him RTing IT and then doing the stupid eyes also.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Lockback posted:

If the Knicks can get Rubio he will make your sucky team about 1000% more fun. I'm going to be seriously depressed if Ricky gets shipped but other fans should get to enjoy his play.

Hah ahh yeah, that's true. Forgot what enjoyable ball looks like.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know...

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/834082061522784256

This plus him supposedly being offered for Cousins, definitely seems possible the Pistons are preparing to move on from him

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kobe is back???????????????
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/834120501643530240

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So, are Pistons blowing it up? I thought they looked sorta promising and it seems like they should still have a window to get better. Why move Drummond?

edit: I mean, I can see dumping Reggie Jackson, but how does keeping Reggie and dumping Drummond do for you?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
SVG has been mum about any deals but it's clear that everybody is on the table. Drummond would get the best returns but I doubt he and Bower make a deal unless he thinks he can get greater value in return.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Yes Magic said if he was in charge his first call would be to Kobe

Note: Kobe was rather insistent about getting away from the NBA after his retirement because he wanted to do VC and film production

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Andre Drummond is not very good

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

I was just saying him RTing IT and then doing the stupid eyes also.

I wasn't coming at you about that. Just on Reddit and Twitter I've seen it happen like four or five times now with different players.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The Raptors would not do that deal. Sure, the Raptors have rebounding issues but Drummond still sucks on defense and Valanciunas is merely "meh" and is much better offensively.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Maybe Magic will be a bro and trade for Rose so Minnesota can't.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

So, are Pistons blowing it up? I thought they looked sorta promising and it seems like they should still have a window to get better. Why move Drummond?

edit: I mean, I can see dumping Reggie Jackson, but how does keeping Reggie and dumping Drummond do for you?

I mean, if you can get a nets pick + something for Drummond I can see it but that's about all I'd think about taking. Drummonds mostly stagnated this year as a 23 year old, but he's still the best rebounder in the league. It's just pretty clear he will never be anything but a generic big on offense.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

roundmidnight posted:

The Raptors would not do that deal. Sure, the Raptors have rebounding issues but Drummond still sucks on defense and Valanciunas is merely "meh" and is much better offensively.

Yeah that deal wouldn't really do anything for either team except free up some money on our end I guess.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Drummond would specifically be very good for the Celtics and bad for almost every other team in the league

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Why are you so mean to my good friend andre

remember when Drummond dated that girl from the Nickelodeon show and she broke up with him because he was a big goony weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Andre Drummond is not very good

Yeah, but like you said, he'd be decent on the celtics. However I scoped out some Detroit blogs and most of them are saying boy we'd sure love to trade Drummond for that 2017 Brooklyn pick and Jae Crowder. Not happening big boys

• Locked thread