Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm curious how you know that Suicide Squad has nothing interesting to exhume but don't know what happens in the movie.

I also don't think Sqwad was a commercial failure. It made a truck load of money, even though it was mediocre at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Really, I have genuine trouble saying that suicide squad was irredeemably bad in light of how well Waller was handled, I'm not especially invested in the suicide squad comics but Waller was done perfectly as a cold blooded black ops Agent in way over their head.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gods of Egypt was enjoyable.

Mierenneuker posted:

Look forward to more of that in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

I knew that guy in the trailer looked familiar.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

I also don't think Sqwad was a commercial failure. It made a truck load of money, even though it was mediocre at best.

So fid BVS. But neither made the billion that WB was aiming at.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really, I have genuine trouble saying that suicide squad was irredeemably bad in light of how well Waller was handled, I'm not especially invested in the suicide squad comics but Waller was done perfectly as a cold blooded black ops Agent in way over their head.

The movie has a lot of cool stuff in it like that. The characters are all pretty well done, some maybe a little undercooked compared to their co-stars, but each has enough of their own personality to stand out. Waller being capital E Evil was a good choice by Ayer, and Enchantress's master plan to make an unholy machine that wipes out the planet's surveillance apparatus was cool.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Squad was 10th overall in overall box office. I highly doubt WB was super upset about that. If you have insider info on WB's projected revenues for Squad please share though. I find that stuff interesting.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 21, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shageletic posted:

Jupitor Ascending is the only movie mentioned that merit a retrospective after a few years. It has the type of all out sincere type of detailed lunacy that the best type of beloved cult movies tend to have (from Robot Jox to I don't know, Near Dark or something). The other movies mentioned (Suicide Squad, Pan, etc) are crass commercial failures with nothing interesting to exhume.

Out of the films mentioned London Has Fallen, Hardcore Henry and Meet the Blacks were commercially successful, or at least the amount of money they made domestically was greater than their posted production costs. They may have been crass and they may not have been hugely profitable but they weren't commercial failures.

Suicide Squad was a gigantic commercial success and pulled in almost three quarters of a billion dollars worldwide. It made roughly the same amount as BvS domestically even though its production budget was $75m lower.

They were obviously disappointed with BvS's reception but no one ever expected Suicide Squad to put up much of a challenge against movies like The Avengers. WB weren't aiming at a billion with Suicide Squad.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 21, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

RIP Hellboy 3 again, though we already knew that deep down inside

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hellboy-3-officially-scrapped-guillermo-del-toro-says-977946

The cool new thing is to post cast photos when you begin filming:

Han Solo movie:

Predator:

Alien Covenant (pretty far into production so they're just bandwagoning!):

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'll spoiler it just in case, so basically the mission the crew is on is revealed to be a mission to save Waller after Enchantress gets loose. Once the team arrives to rescue her she kills all the agents in their safe base (mostly computer jockeys) since everything they do is super classified and they're expendable in her eyes.

It kind of comes out of nowhere and was pretty cool because of that surprise. She's just talking to Flagg and Deadshot (who is rightfully pissed about the mission at this point), and then blam!

lol well that's incredibly dumb.

And didn't know Suicide Squad's BO numbers. All I know is that I sure as hell don't want to watch it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man the guy they got to play Chewbacca is spot on

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is that Donald Glover? Is he Lando? Good for him. :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shageletic posted:

And didn't know Suicide Squad's BO numbers. All I know is that I sure as hell don't want to watch it.
It's a bad movie. I saw it for free and it still wasn't worth it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Jupitor Ascending is the only movie mentioned that merit a retrospective after a few years. It has the type of all out sincere type of detailed lunacy that the best type of beloved cult movies tend to have (from Robot Jox to I don't know, Near Dark or something).

The most noteworthy thing about Jupiter Ascending to me was how it felt like there was actually a very interesting universe filled with fascinating worlds and characters and all kinds of compelling stories happening everywhere except on-screen. Like, for whatever reason the Wachowskis decided to tell the most boring part of the story. It felt like it should have been a tie-in comic book to fill in someone's backstory or something. And just when the story shows some promise (okay, so how is Intergalactic Space Queen Mila Kunis gonna handle her new genocidal empire?) they cut to her having space rollerblading lessons and end the movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Fair enough. It's a worse version of Escape from New York for the most part.

I do hope Croc gets a reappearance some where in the DCEU, he was my favorite character in the movie.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Phylodox posted:

The most noteworthy thing about Jupiter Ascending to me was how it felt like there was actually a very interesting universe filled with fascinating worlds and characters and all kinds of compelling stories happening everywhere except on-screen. Like, for whatever reason the Wachowskis decided to tell the most boring part of the story. It felt like it should have been a tie-in comic book to fill in someone's backstory or something. And just when the story shows some promise (okay, so how is Intergalactic Space Queen Mila Kunis gonna handle her new genocidal empire?) they cut to her having space rollerblading lessons and end the movie.

The Wachowskis were planning to make a trilogy and the studio talked them down to one, which I assume resulted in a bunch of really good ideas being smushed into the film. So to some extent it wasn't up to them.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Can you imagine thinking an epic scifi-fantasy trilogy about an intergalactic space queen finding her power being anchored by Mila Kunis is a good idea? Wow.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alhazred posted:

Gerard Butler is the least interesting choice in anything.

He's fun when he's actually given something to work with. His scenery-chewing in 300 is hilariously awesome.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

SciFiDownBeat posted:

The Wachowskis were planning to make a trilogy and the studio talked them down to one, which I assume resulted in a bunch of really good ideas being smushed into the film. So to some extent it wasn't up to them.

The problem is they didn't have enough material to make one movie. The most interesting thing Mila Kunis did in JA is go to the intergalactic DMV. How are you going to make 3 movies out of that?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Suicide Squad lost me around the third slow motion montage set to a classic rock song. Enchantress almost teases a neat character/villain and instead becomes something real stupid. The joker was the worst version of the joker to make it to film or tv. I was only kind of amused by harley quinn and will smith and that's not enough to carry my attention through the bad movie.

Simplex posted:

The problem is they didn't have enough material to make one movie. The most interesting thing Mila Kunis did in JA is go to the intergalactic DMV. How are you going to make 3 movies out of that?

Actually have Terry Gilliam write and direct it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tars Tarkas posted:

RIP Hellboy 3 again, though we already knew that deep down inside

At this point, thank goodness. Although if someone else was going to get a crack at it, I wouldn't mind that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Nacho Vigalondo should do Hellboy 3 once he's done with Colossal.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Can you imagine thinking an epic scifi-fantasy trilogy about an intergalactic space queen finding her power being anchored by Mila Kunis is a good idea? Wow.

I am not sure there was much actually straight-up wrong with anything in Jupiter Ascending, unless you hate young adult movies on principle. It was a weird movie and after Cloud Atlas I'm willing to let the Wachowskis try just about anything.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Simplex posted:

There was tons of interesting stuff in there. Fuckin' flying lizard men, hilarious intergalactic bureaucracy, space vampire aristocrats who liquefy entire planets to stay young forever? The whole movie I was sitting there going, "Man, this is boring, I can't wait for Mila Kunis to ascend to her throne and start laying the smack down on her evil space vampire relatives and all this bullshit ossified space bureaucracy and poo poo" and just when that's about to happen she fucks off back to Earth to live her boring life except with her super dull* rollerblading new boyfriend. What the gently caress?

*And Channing Tatum is a super fuckin' charming fellow. Why the gently caress would they waste him on a typical dull, brooding YA boyfriend stereotype? I can only imagine Tatum playing the whole "anthropomorphized dog" character more literally, being super friendly and upbeat, and it makes me sad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Nacho Vigalondo should do Hellboy 3 once he's done with Colossal.

This is perfect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

At this point, thank goodness. Although if someone else was going to get a crack at it, I wouldn't mind that.

Hellboy is much better suited to an animated series anyway. The Amazing Screw-On Head pilot showed us that the style translates really well to animation, too.

Get Genndy Tartakovsky to do it once he's freed up from Samurai Jack. Kinda a perfect match imo, and he's just killing time making goofy kids movie sequels otherwise.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Phylodox posted:

There was tons of interesting stuff in there. Fuckin' flying lizard men, hilarious intergalactic bureaucracy, space vampire aristocrats who liquefy entire planets to stay young forever? The whole movie I was sitting there going, "Man, this is boring, I can't wait for Mila Kunis to ascend to her throne and start laying the smack down on her evil space vampire relatives and all this bullshit ossified space bureaucracy and poo poo" and just when that's about to happen she fucks off back to Earth to live her boring life except with her super dull* rollerblading new boyfriend. What the gently caress?

*And Channing Tatum is a super fuckin' charming fellow. Why the gently caress would they waste him on a typical dull, brooding YA boyfriend stereotype? I can only imagine Tatum playing the whole "anthropomorphized dog" character more literally, being super friendly and upbeat, and it makes me sad.

The second movie would have robots and dinosaurs and werewolves and poo poo, but the central plot would revolve around Mila Kunis going to her space accountant to see if she owed any space back-taxes on her space inheritance.

About Gods of Egypt, it's a movie that if someone described the movie to you, your mental image of it would be far better than the actual product that made it onto the screen. The problem is that the interesting conceptual stuff barely has any screen time, making way instead for a bunch of boring poo poo, that nobody cares about or is interested in.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ammanas posted:

Black Swan.

At least all these interesting failure movies are more fun to think about than most marvel movies.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

I am not sure there was much actually straight-up wrong with anything in Jupiter Ascending, unless you hate young adult movies on principle. It was a weird movie and after Cloud Atlas I'm willing to let the Wachowskis try just about anything.

I have to say I found Cloud Atlas disappointing. Maybe its because I only caught it recently and so its been building hype in my head for years, but I only found a couple of the narratives interesting, and thought they way they played with each other unsurprising and largely inconsequential.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

basic hitler posted:

Suicide Squad lost me around the third slow motion montage set to a classic rock song. Enchantress almost teases a neat character/villain and instead becomes something real stupid. The joker was the worst version of the joker to make it to film or tv. I was only kind of amused by harley quinn and will smith and that's not enough to carry my attention through the bad movie.

It feels like there was a massive rewrite after a lot of shooting was completed. Not only the reshooting for comedic intent. It feels like originally the whole suicide squad idea was to bait the Joker out. Otherwise Harley Quinn's entire purpose is cheesecake with a baseball bat.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

basic hitler posted:

The joker was the worst version of the joker to make it to film or tv.

I don't watch Gotham but I have to disagree just based on the one clip I saw where he's the most annoying little poo poo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I don't watch Gotham but I have to disagree just based on the one clip I saw where he's the most annoying little poo poo.

This is fan-film level Ledger impression holy poo poo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Hemingway To Go! posted:

oh noooooo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Nah, Jerome's cool. He's just part of Gotham's over-the-top melodrama. Where else can you see Jim Gordon literally punch the Joker's face off?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

got any sevens posted:

At least all these interesting failure movies are more fun to think about than most marvel movies.

god yes

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Have they ever officially said he's the Joker or are there just a bunch of mini-Jokers that will eventually Voltron into the real one when Bruce hits puberty?

Rumor is the new X-men film will do the Dark Phoenix Saga. You might be thinking "Tars, they already did the Dark Phoenix Saga!" Yes, but this time it will be with an actress from Game of Thrones, so it's totally different!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

Rumor is the new X-men film will do the Dark Phoenix Saga. You might be thinking "Tars, they already did the Dark Phoenix Saga!" Yes, but this time it will be with an actress from Game of Thrones, so it's totally different!
At this point they should just do something fun with lower stakes like a longer episode of the cartoon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, Simon Kinberg is rumored to direct. As a directorial debut. You know, the guy who's helped to drive the franchise into the ground since The Last Stand. Who is responsible for F4ntastic moreso than any one other individual, including the director. Who brought the world lightsaber helicopters in Star Wars Rebels, a garbage show. Who wrote xXx: State of the Union.

High hopes fot this one!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

Nah, Jerome's cool. He's just part of Gotham's over-the-top melodrama. Where else can you see Jim Gordon literally punch the Joker's face off?

Sounds bad and also dumb

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sounds bad and also dumb

No, it is good and dumb.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gods of Egypt scratched an itch that basically no other movie has. Immortals came close, but didn't embrace the mythology to the extent Gods did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No offense but I doubt it. That clip is poo poo.

Why can't people ape Hamil, or Nicholson? Or fuckin Ceaser Romero over Ledger?

• Locked thread