Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Turkey Farts posted:

Does he wear gloves and an arm-mounted smartphone holder?
Nah. It is me and I am literally doing these and other lifts because I am having SI joint issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Is there a term for when you're lifting in your garage on a Friday night at home and you get impatient to get your evening started so you start drinking before you've finished lifting, during the rest periods?

Asking for a friend.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thesaurus posted:

Is there a term for when you're lifting in your garage on a Friday night at home and you get impatient to get your evening started so you start drinking before you've finished lifting, during the rest periods?

Asking for a friend.

Yes, alcoholism

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Uuuuuh, yeah. A good night.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Thesaurus posted:

you're lifting in your garage on a Friday night at home and you get impatient to get your evening started so you start drinking before you've finished lifting, during the rest periods?

gently caress yes my dude

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Dang barbell glute bridges are unbelievably awkward for those around you and I felt like an idiot loving a bar for the bridges and an idiot loving a bench for the seal rows.

The first challenge of glute bridge is getting your quads and hips under the bar. I put 45s on right away and surprise: there's not enough space I had to literally roll it over my quads & dick & hips I should have probably put mats down to raise it more but I was moving the bar so much it'd look like a little kid was building a loving road for some oversized tonka trucks. The second challenge is positioning the bar so it doesn't hurt a whole loving lot when you actually do it. Right above your dick is pain city, and if you go too high it's also pain city because it's all bone there off to the side. I spent like 40 minutes doing glute bridges, looked like a big dumb idiot, exposed my quads & hamstrings for all to see, and learned nothing except that I can do like infinite reps at 185lbs and it doesn't agitate my lower back/si joint/whatever at all. Also the last few sets I kinda got how to position the bar down so that was good.

Salami.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 19, 2017

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Fold a yoga mat in half and put it above your waist so it cushions the bar. Girls at my gym do glute raises all the time with the premade bars so I think it is funny when I load up 315 to do it.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Is 5 3 1 supposed to make it this easy?
PRed on deadlifts 2 weeks in a row, and pyramided down afterward each time. It feels like cheating.

25 lbs to 400 now.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah the first couple cycles are supposed to be light. If you want something harder try Jokers. After your amrap add 5 or 10% and do a set with reps up to whatever week you're on (5s, triples, or singles). Keep adding weight each set till you don't think you'll even get a single.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
gently caress yes. Let's kill ourselves with weight.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

It's a lot harder to kill yourself with weight than you think. I split my forehead open last year in the gym and recently my knee popped at the bottom of a squat and my meniscus is sorta hosed for a while

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I finally got into the 1,000lb club a few days ago, can I finally die now?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lemming posted:

my dude, theres no time like the present!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Lemming posted:

Nah time for 1200, and after that you just keep going higher. Forever small, forever weak is what happens when you go to the gym.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 20, 2017

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

Nah time for 1200, and after that you just keep going higher. Forever small, forever weak is what happens when you go to the gym.

Lol when you shoot for the 1200 club and not 2000

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Smeed posted:

Lol when you shoot for the 1200 club and not 2000
2000 is not realistic. Even on gear. There are 76 people in the world with a 2000 raw total.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 20, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Khorne posted:

2000 is not realistic. Even on gear. There are 76 people in the world with a 2000 raw total.

And we're gonna be one of those, so?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lemming posted:

You die when you're no longer able to maintain it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khorne posted:

So there's a chance?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And we're gonna be one of those, so?
I'm all about lofty goals.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Khorne posted:

I gained a bunch of weight to get stronger so I'd probably like to be small again actually

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Guyver posted:

Yeah the first couple cycles are supposed to be light. If you want something harder try Jokers. After your amrap add 5 or 10% and do a set with reps up to whatever week you're on (5s, triples, or singles). Keep adding weight each set till you don't think you'll even get a single.

I would suggest doing joker sets before the amrap. As in, work through the regular sets but only go for the minimum # of reps on the third, then do one or more joker sets, then drop back down to do the amrap. (Well, I usually end up not actually doing an amrap set but more like 3x5 or 5x3 or some such thing at the "main" workweight. But I am old and wrecked.)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There's a really fat archetypical goon who started going to my gym. He is a little gross but I want to cheer him on

He is trying and that should be rewarded :unsmith:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

There's a really fat archetypical goon who started going to my gym. He is a little gross but I want to cheer him on

He's heard the salami meme so will take any attention the wrong way.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Thanks, man. I'm just trying to give my best every day.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

its early in the mornin and i am gonna go and lift heavy things now

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Hell, same

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Same. My squat's gone back to 220lb as I try to figure out the light-headedness but I'm making up for it with 490lb on the leg press.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Haha, holy poo poo, I've been sick for like four weeks and not been able to work out; finally recovered and did squats and bench press yesterday. Sweet loving jesus the DOMS. Walking backward down the stairs today.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
any tips on targeting the outer thigh? I feel like my inner thigh is getting disproportionally targetted and it's startin to look weird

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Walking to locker room, saw a gym regular girl doing this

Had to stifle my laughter as I walked past. Never saw her do pull-ups before... I guess I still haven't seen her do an actual pullup.

Also saw this while looking for the gif, lol

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 21, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

any tips on targeting the outer thigh? I feel like my inner thigh is getting disproportionally targetted and it's startin to look weird

Bad girl machine

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Walking to locker room, saw a gym regular girl doing this

Had to stifle my laughter as I walked past. Never saw her do pull-ups before... I guess I still haven't seen her do an actual pullup.

there's a girl at my gym who does the same thing ... on the assisted pullup machine :stonklol:

she also does super rapidfire shoulder / chest machine presses (max 2 inch ROM). it's lol

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Never seen this girl use the rowing machine.

I mean, the rowing machine is probably better at doing what they want to do than that.

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
:smith: 1200+ with a 255 bench, I feel so small and flatchested. Forever small forever weak :(

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Gave up my beloved hashbrowns and have been doing keto for a week and a half and I feel like absolute poo poo today, pretty dizzy and light headed and just poo poo. I guess it will be worth it though?

I've been hitting the gym at 5:30 every day for a couple months but still weigh more than I want to so I figured I would just lose all carbs to cut some weight.

I did keto a few years ago and went from 190-165 pretty quickly without even working out, but it was pretty hard to sustain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Maybe a massage would encourage growth? I'll give you a thigh massage buddy

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

HukHukHuk posted:

:smith: 1200+ with a 255 bench, I feel so small and flatchested. Forever small forever weak :(

Did you SS your way there?

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

If you couldn't work out legs because of a knee issue what would you do to keep your leg muscles? Arms of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Smeed posted:

Did you SS your way there?

Did stronglifts 5x5 to start, but yeah I'm still fairly new at less than a year and a half of lifting