Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Reskin Letters from Whitechapel to be about (Ms.) Pac Man. Boom, there's your multi thousand dollar kickstarter right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mutant: Mechatron is the latest in the Mutant: Year Zero line.

Is Mutant: Year Zero any good? I know I've asked this before but nobody ever seems to know anything about it.

I like it. I haven't been able to get anyone to play it, but I can give you my impressions. I also have Mutant:Maskinarium (the Swedish version of Mechatron) and it doesn't do as much for me as MYZ or Genlab Alpha did.

I like MYZ. It has these neat hexcrawl/4X mechanics that build off of each other in an interesting way. RAW, the idea is that the party lives in an "Ark," your post-apocalyptic fortress (of some kind) along with many other people. The goal is to explore the radioactive wastes around the ark and in the course of so doing, improve it somehow. There is a phase where you can elect to use the artifacts you recover from the wastes to help yourselves, or the community, and there is a possibility that you can enact policies that will help or hurt the community (and these policies can be enacted by the rest of the community without your participation if you're not there). Genlab Alpha does this somewhat less--it's more about discovering the secrets of Genlab Alpha and escaping Paradise Valley.

I don't really feel like Maskinarium does anything beyond this; it's more "Genlab Alpha with Robots". On the other hand, the expectation from the books seems to be that you'll play through the core Genlab or Maskinarium scenarios and then change or integrate into a conventional MYZ campaign.

Unfortunately, because I've never played it, I can't really talk about the dice system. There is a respectably low number of attributes, and the combat/skill resolution systems look simple and unproblematic, but I couldn't tell you for sure. It's sort of a stripped-down version of the FFG SW system, where you're adding skill dice and attribute dice (all d6) and counting successes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
As I said in another thread Descent is actually based on Doom not the other way around. FF made the Doom board game in the early/mid 00s and then resused most of the mechanics for Descent. I haven't played the new one but the old Doom game was functionally more interesting than Descent IMHO because it played a lot faster and was significantly more difficult.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Leperflesh posted:

It's <video game> but in board game format! Has that ever resulted in a good game?

Adrenaline is cool. You run around, and you're encouraged to do 2 things:
-Put out as much damage as possible;
-Get new guns b/c it's cheaper than reloading.

You even Respawn without major penalty!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
From the creators of Mutant: Year Zero

Mutant: MECHATRON

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/mutant-mechatron-rise-of-the-robots-roleplaying/description

Rise, as a robot with newly developed sentience. Discover why the humans abandoned you, and question why you should obey them at all.

Protect Mechatron 7, the technological marvel of an underwater robot factory that is falling perilously into decay.

Explore the post-apocalyptic wasteland known as the ZONE and interact with friends and foes from the gamelines Mutant: Year Zero, Mutant: Genlab Alpha, and anything else printed in the game line.

Aquire this product for a minimum $28. Relax, as you realize Mechatron will be produced because it already fully funded in less than 24 hours. Watch, as you receive a beta pdf around June, then the real game in approximately September.

What else does the kickstarter say?

===What is Mutant : Mechatron?===

quote:

Do you like scifi in the vein of Asimov, Blade Runner, Terminator, Ex Machina, Automata and Westworld? Then Mutant: Mechatron is for you!

This is the second major expansion to Mutant: Year Zero, the award-winning postapocalyptic pen&paper roleplaying game by Free League Publishing.

But Mutant: Mechatron is no mere supplement - it stands on its own and can be played as a complete game in its own right. Get ready for the rise of the robots!

----

Mutant: Mechatron tells the origin story of the robots, and introduces them into the dawnworld of Mutant: Year Zero. Some of the contents:

New rules for creating and playing robots. A unique system lets you build your machine character part by part. The book includes all the rules you need to play!

A detailed description of Mechatron-7, the huge underground robot hive, including a beautiful full-color map.

The complete campaign Ghost in the Machine, putting the player characters in the middle of a conflict threatening the future of the entire robot hive.

An overview of how the robots can adapt to life in the Zone, and join the human mutants of Mutant: Year Zero.

===New to Mutant: Year Zero?===

quote:

Mutant: Mechatron is a full game in its own right, but if you’re new to the Mutant: Year Zero universe there has never been a better time to get started!

During the entire run of this Kickstarter, we have a 20% discount on all Mutant: Year Zero products in the Free League webstore. (We have EU- and North America-friendly shipping.)

Mutant: Year Zero is the latest version of the classic Swedish pen & paper roleplaying game Mutant, first published in 1984. Mutant: Year Zero was published in 2014, and was awarded RPG of the Year by the main Swedish gaming magazine Fenix.

The English version of the game was released in December of 2014, and was an instant hit. Watch the release trailer here. Mutant: Year Zero was named Best RPG at UK Games Expo 2015 and it was awarded a Silver ENnie for Best Rules at Gencon 2015.

The first expansion for Mutant: Year Zero was Mutant: Genlab Alpha, telling the story of the mutant animals. Mutant: Genlab Alpha was successfully kickstarted a year ago and released in July last year.

Want more information? Click on my short review of Mutant: Year Zero here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&threadid=3803702#post469637283

Robots. Will. Rise.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Dave Sirlin is the guy whose whole schtick is making tabletop games designed to replicate the gameplay to of videogames to some extent or another...his catalogue includes Yomi (fighting games), Puzzle Strike (competitive Tetris-alikes), and most recently Codex (RTS games). Sirlin himself is kind of a prick and he has a habit of "homaging" things to a degree that you could call plagiaristic but if you don't really care about those things they're supposed to be decent games.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Arcadia Quest kind of feels like a MOBA boardgame to me. Each player has 3 different heroes that they draft. Gameplay is sending your heroes around the board creeping and getting objectives while ganking and team fighting the other players. Characters respawn back at a spawn point. You spend money on various upgrades for your characters. I'm kind of surprised there aren't more boardgames out there like this, tbh.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sirlin is the guy trying to do the extremely rare reverse, do a fighting game based on his board games. Hopefully it works out, I really liked Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD and it was really disappointing that Capcom ignored its better innovations and just kinda buried it. I have mixed feelings about his games otherwise but I really did like Puzzle Strike (despite its, uh, creative issues).

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Sirlin is the guy trying to do the extremely rare reverse, do a fighting game based on his board games. Hopefully it works out, I really liked Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD and it was really disappointing that Capcom ignored its better innovations and just kinda buried it. I have mixed feelings about his games otherwise but I really did like Puzzle Strike (despite its, uh, creative issues).

I'm really interested to see how that fighting game is turning out but in true SIRLOIN fashion he has it gated behind a Patreon account.

And I know I'm in the minority but I like HD Remix better than ST.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 22, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Crackbone posted:

And I know I'm in the minority but I like HD Remix better than ST.

Yeah, I'm mostly of the attitude that fighting games painted themselves into an exclusive corner by having 360° motions and tenstrings and other similar design garbage so I'm interested in a simpler game... but I'm not as interested in the sausage-making at the moment.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

It's <video game> but in board game format! Has that ever resulted in a good game?

As other said, Level99 has two great "fighting game card games"... which are basically board games I guess.

Rum and Bones is more of a MOBA than Arcadia Quest, IMO. The Second Season of R&B is a nice improvement over the original.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I like the XCom boardgame a lot. I would have figured it's not really "Here's your favorite video game, now as a vaguely related board game" that sucks, but rather "We recreated this genre of video game in general."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I mean, I can't comment on the quality of this game, but I have no problem with one kind of game borrowing mechanics from another one, assuming they can figure out a way to do so that makes sense.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

theironjef posted:

I like the XCom boardgame a lot. I would have figured it's not really "Here's your favorite video game, now as a vaguely related board game" that sucks, but rather "We recreated this genre of video game in general."
I feel like the XCOM boardgame is half a game. It tries to ape the resource management/strategic map aspect of XCOM and completely ignores the other part. I think it would be pretty difficult to recreate the whole package so I understand why they did it, but it ends up feeling shallow because the only choice (for most roles) is what bad things you want to deal with most, and then all you do is push your luck in order to determine success. The only role in which the choices don't feel binary is the Scientist, because at least he gets to decide which of his research projects he actually wants to progress. Everyone else feels reactive and not in a good way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Dinosaur Island - non-copyright infringing board game about running your own dinosaur theme park. Resequence DNA! Make dinosaurs! Build rides!

That shipping though... ouch.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Dinosaur Island - non-copyright infringing board game about running your own dinosaur theme park. Resequence DNA! Make dinosaurs! Build rides!

I might have to back this for a friend...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It looks neat, definitely, and I like that the announced stretch goals are almost entirely for better quality components instead of a slew of new meeples or game options. I hate board games that do that, put everything in the box to start with or sell an expansion, don't ransom off game modes behind people engaging more in your KS.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The_Doctor posted:

quote:

From the designers of Dead of Winter

And I'm out.

Kwyndig posted:

It looks neat, definitely, and I like that the announced stretch goals are almost entirely for better quality components instead of a slew of new meeples or game options. I hate board games that do that, put everything in the box to start with or sell an expansion, don't ransom off game modes behind people engaging more in your KS.

I imagine it's often a case where the designs have been mostly done on expansions, but they need capital to actually produce them, so it's gated behind stretch goals.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I understand that... but I still think it's a cruddy practice. Don't under set your funding goals people.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

This might be interesting but I don't like the design they've chosen and especially the colour palette.

EDIT: I mean, I understand what they are going for but the predominantly teal/fuchsia colouring is not for me.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 22, 2017

Hauki
May 11, 2010

haha yeah, I took a glance at that and went 'wow, that sounds kinda cool' until I saw the next line, "From the designers of Dead of Winter..."

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I get that Dead of Winter is a bad game, but they're very different and it looks like it'll be available for play on Tabletopia before the campaign ends. So I guess maybe evaluate it based on the game itself? Or not, it's just a Kickstarter that I have no stake in, so do whatever I guess. :shrug:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
My copy of Dead of Winter still sits unopened.

Pass, even though I love the idea. :smith:

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I thought Dead of Winter was a critical darling. Huh. What is wrong with it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

EverettLO posted:

The objective cards lead to situations in which, because everyone has a secret agenda, there's an easy out for a traitor. Just knowing that everyone has a secret agenda is a detriment to the game, and destroys the atmosphere that the game is trying to portray. The traitor mechanism is deficient because it's easy to know if someone is actively sabotaging, so no one does it, but it's trivially easy to stay under-cover, because when asked why you are doing something, you can just say that you are trying to fulfill your secret objective (which you can't counter because, well, everyone has a secret objective).The game tries to get you into a 'for the good of the group/for the good of yourself' decisions, but this is hampered by the fact that you still lose regardless if you helped the group or not to win. The atmosphere of the game lurches from serious to comical to serious without regards to tone, the choices presented in the game are binary/have an obvious good choice/bad choice dichotomy, and the art itself sometimes is laughably bad (see the old guy with a gun for an arm).

EDIT: You are right in that everyone seems to love the game, because everyone treats it as a storygame, but the issues in gameplay are too obvious and glaring for me (and quite a few people here in TG). Fans of the game try to paper them over by saying that the flaws allow the game to be thematic, but I have the opposite opinion: they actually substantially detract from the theme. The Board Game thread in TG was EXTREMELY HYPE for the game when it was announced, and people were hoping that finally it was a good zombie game after a glut of bad ones, but the hype died down really fast and was replaced with disappointment.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 22, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Any other Alas Vegas backers want to weigh in on a rules question for me? I'd ask on the Kickstarter page but it's just a cesspit of "omg my print copy isn't here yet" negativity. This is how I understand it works:

Combat: you're playing blackjack with a couple of special rules. You want to make 21 without going over, just like real blackjack.

Everyone gets 2 cards face down. If you're using an ability, you get a wild card, also face down.

It goes around in a circle and players can hit or stand. If they hit, they get another card face down.

Once everyone has all their cards, they start turning cards face up to make hands and narrating what happens with images on the cards.

That's how I understand it works, but what do you do with the face-down cards you don't use to make your hands? How do you ever go over 21? Are you FORCED to turn up your face down cards, even if it puts you over?

E: I can actually just c/p the combat system text since it's CC licensed if that's OK, so I can get Opinions.

E2: FWIF I actually figured this out - a twist is the same as a hit, and those cards always come face up. You use all your face down cards except the wild card, as that's optional.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 23, 2017

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

EverettLO posted:

It was a critical darling - but board game criticism is not well developed. It doesn't mean the same thing to be a critical darling board game as it would to be a critically acclaimed movie or book. T.I.M.E ST0Ri3S ended up on a bunch of people's "Best Game" lists, and it's super-the-worst garbage.

Part of this is that "designer board games" are still a developing medium and people don't have a consistent mental framework for evaluating them. Part is just how media has changed in the last 15 years, and who ends up being heard. If movies were a new thing, right now, the people writing about them and getting attention wouldn't be the Oscar committee, it'd be nerds who are super enthusiastic about them - and best movie lists would tend towards, well, the thematic and gimmicky.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Weta/CZE's GKR: Heavy Hitters campaign is live.

Shipping is a pretty ugly mar on the otherwise great looking campaign, but it is a HUGE loving box & top notch components.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Merauder posted:

Shipping is a pretty ugly mar on the otherwise great looking campaign, but it is a HUGE loving box & top notch components.

For the first and probably last time, living in New Zealand has made shipping more affordable on a Kickstarter.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tekopo posted:

This might be interesting but I don't like the design they've chosen and especially the colour palette.

EDIT: I mean, I understand what they are going for but the predominantly teal/fuchsia colouring is not for me.

Yeah, I can't get past how ugly it is even though I understand why.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Anyone have any insight on Dice Throne? It seems like they took the shell of Magic: the Gathering, hollowed it out and added dice and characters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindbottlinggames/dice-throne/description

There's some neat ideas here, but I've got some hesitations. It seems like they plan to offer as lot of support in the future, though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Merauder posted:

Shipping's definitely the big problem for me. I'll star it and check in again to see the stretch goals later maybe.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Go RV! posted:

Anyone have any insight on Dice Throne? It seems like they took the shell of Magic: the Gathering, hollowed it out and added dice and characters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindbottlinggames/dice-throne/description

There's some neat ideas here, but I've got some hesitations. It seems like they plan to offer as lot of support in the future, though.

I don't have any special insight, but I did give this one a hard look over (before passing).

There's some vague potential rule problems on timing and what not (there's a certain amount of implied "resolve this like you would in Magic" I think) but I didn't see any big red flags - and there's evidence in the rules that they've done reasonable playtesting. For example, the characters have different attack/defense focus, so in the team mode they made your "effective target player" sort of half-controlled/half-luck (so that they don't just skip attacking a character with good defense, but you aren't just forced to spec one character as "tank" to compete). I suspect they've played this a lot and I would expect it to generally work.

That said, it has that scattershot tone of sort of "we're cool, but also maybe some lazy wackiness?" that doesn't do anything for me, and I don't feel like I'd be itching to play more of this after a few rounds. I think this is a good fit if your group really likes, say, King of Tokyo, and you want more games in that niche (in terms of mechanics, weight, and theme) or if you specifically want a team game in that category (which are hard to find).

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Merauder posted:

Those are some weak-rear end pilot callsigns.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Riotminds, creators of Trudvang Chronicles, have put up a translation of their other big roleplaying game, Gotterdammerung, on Kickstarter, under the name Lex Ocultum. It's a really interesting idea. All the secret societies and occult stuff of the 18th and 19th centuries? It was true, and you are the people that had to fight the gently caress ups of the ignorant nobility who dabbled in that which man should not know. In a way, it is similar to Call of Cthulhu, and it uses the BRP system, but it is based more heavily in the Enlightenment, with more of a Templars fighting in the background rather than random people swept into the conflict, at least as far I can tell.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Those are some weak-rear end pilot callsigns.

Yeah, the mechs are the stars of the show there, the pilots are just like whatever. Doesn't seem worth going for the deluxo pilot minis version since they're nothing more than glorified tracking tokens and they're kinda boring on top of it. That plus the stretch goal for the fancy initiative marker make it seem like that version is angling to have a lot of superfluous extra plastic shoved into it for marginal benefit.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

EverettLO posted:

I can't find it at the moment, but a few years ago right after the game launched there were some play by post games of it here with a lot of the seasoned Battlestar players, including myself. It was an absolute disaster, as the mechanical problems became very apparent. A second game was put together with an attempt to try and make it better using optional rules (or house rules, I forgot), but similarly was completely underwhelming. I know after that Dead of Winter just wasn't talked about much at all in either the board game or traitor game threads.

Anyway, I forgot the name of the PbP but maybe Tekopo remembers (were you in it as well?) if you're interested in seeing the post-by-post arc of hype for a game dying.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Riotminds, creators of Trudvang Chronicles, have put up a translation of their other big roleplaying game, Gotterdammerung, on Kickstarter, under the name Lex Ocultum. It's a really interesting idea. All the secret societies and occult stuff of the 18th and 19th centuries? It was true, and you are the people that had to fight the gently caress ups of the ignorant nobility who dabbled in that which man should not know. In a way, it is similar to Call of Cthulhu, and it uses the BRP system, but it is based more heavily in the Enlightenment, with more of a Templars fighting in the background rather than random people swept into the conflict, at least as far I can tell.

Looks interesting

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

One time I was the Betrayer in Dead of Winter and no one knew. We didn't have enough food and I was going to win at the end of the turn.

Then my friends voted me off just so my survivors wouldn't consume food and I lost.

gently caress that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Wezlar posted:

One time I was the Betrayer in Dead of Winter and no one knew. We didn't have enough food and I was going to win at the end of the turn.

Then my friends voted me off just so my survivors wouldn't consume food and I lost.

gently caress that game.

To be fair, scum being voted off for reasons that have nothing to do with their scummitude is a classic bad beat of the secret-allegiance game.