Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Something is bugging me about this AoS battle. The table was 48"x48". Each player has a 12" deployment zone. That's half the table.

Is this necessary to fit the recommended numbers of Citadel Miniatures on the table, or is it supposed to serve a tactical purpose?

If you have to hide anything valuable in the back 4" to prevent things like sorcerers on magic carpets swooping in to delete it before you can possibly do anything at all then I'm not sure I see the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
12" deployment zones on a 48" wide table is traditional, friend. Why would you think the AoS Rulesmasters would carefully consider the implications of and reasons for doing this before writing it into the rules?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

I engaged in discussion.

I thought this had to be hyperbole, then I went back and checked the thread. You weren't kidding

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

90s Cringe Rock posted:

12" deployment zones on a 48" wide table is traditional, friend. Why would you think the AoS Rulesmasters would carefully consider the implications of and reasons for doing this before writing it into the rules?

At 4x4 I mostly play Dropzone where deployment zones are 6" or everything starts off the board. 12" just seems excessive unless you are deploying a lot of stuff (in which case the table is probably overcrowded) or the board is particularly terrain dense.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

I thought this had to be hyperbole, then I went back and checked the thread. You weren't kidding

I'm still not convinced it was anything I posted, but the last two or three pages were actually decent? Way less mockery and name calling than usual.

I'm kind of pissed off because now that I've engaged this beast I am determined to figure out how to bloody well enjoy it. Sure it's stupid, but I am a stupid sometimes.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ugleb posted:

At 4x4 I mostly play Dropzone where deployment zones are 6" or everything starts off the board. 12" just seems excessive unless you are deploying a lot of stuff (in which case the table is probably overcrowded) or the board is particularly terrain dense.

I think there's straight-up some models that have bases longer than 6" now

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TKIY posted:

I'm still not convinced it was anything I posted, but the last two or three pages were actually decent? Way less mockery and name calling than usual.

I'm kind of pissed off because now that I've engaged this beast I am determined to figure out how to bloody well enjoy it. Sure it's stupid, but I am a stupid sometimes.

We are all Sisyphus, friend.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

We are all Sisyphus, friend.

I continue to sissy fist myself.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

quote:

Guaranteed first turn
Guaranteed to be in range of anything he wants in turn one due to 12" deployment zone + 16" movement + 16" weapon range
Guaranteed dice results from Destiny Dice
Guaranteed wounds from Mortal Wounds because Dwarves have no mitigation against them

NARRATIVE FORGED

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not a viking posted:

How so?

This is the KoW Elves list

It's even better, because unlike AoS, you don't pay a penalty for choosing to bring in allied units. In AoS you are rewarded for faction fidelity with bonuses, whereas with Kings of War, you need to meet certain force structure requirements to add allies, but you're not actually giving up a bonus to do it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was pretty obvious from early on that all they wanted to do was to share lists and to post pictures of new releases. I'm not sure why they felt SA was the best place to do that when plenty of other hugboxes exist.

To be fair SA can be a little hug-boxy at times, at least in other sub-forums, which is why I basically only read a few threads. Case in point: Leperflesh's cool new red text. I don't know what he said but knowing how he posts, I imagine it wasn't something entirely unreasonable but it managed to upset someone anyway

Not that this is a can of worms I have any desire whatsoever to dive into.

Games Workshop is bad, Age of Sigmar is bad.

The new Hordes army is cool and good.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

To be fair SA can be a little hug-boxy at times, at least in other sub-forums, which is why I basically only read a few threads. Case in point: Leperflesh's cool new red text. I don't know what he said but knowing how he posts, I imagine it wasn't something entirely unreasonable but it managed to upset someone anyway

Games Workshop is bad, Age of Sigmar is bad.

The new Hordes army is cool and good.

New Hordes army?

Do tell.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TKIY posted:

New Hordes army?

Do tell.

You remember Malifaux?

That

E: Not that its a bad thing, just that PP looked at malifaux and went "this is ours now"

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 21, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TKIY posted:

New Hordes army?

Do tell.

Basically it's Alice McGee's fairytales. There's more than a few comparisons to Malifaux's Neverborn that got the Warmahordes thread defensive about but aren't unwarranted.

Personally I'm kind of torn. The models themselves are good but the paint jobs are a bit too pastel for the setting so that, even though they fit into the Iron Kingdoms setting nicely, they feel counter to the look and feel of Warmahordes.

I get the gut feeling that if Privateer Press' Descent clone was more successful we'd be seeing them as as an expansion to that instead.

That said, the center piece warcaster is Not-Baba Yaga riding a robotic chicken hut, which is awesome.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

LordAbaddon posted:

You remember Malifaux?

That

E: Not that its a bad thing, just that PP looked at malifaux and went "this is ours now"

Also one of the casters is Annie and Tibbers from LOL.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I take back every bad thing I've ever said about Games Workshop's teaser videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e15h-fR1rGg

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, I looked up the new faction because I wanted to see a model and wound up finding a 16 minute long video of a woman doing a witch voice as she described everything. This was an official release. Why?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

Case in point: Leperflesh's cool new red text. I don't know what he said but knowing how he posts, I imagine it wasn't something entirely unreasonable but it managed to upset someone anyway
Basically, D&D is a terrible subforum nobody should ever post in.

quote:

Very, very wise. I will simply state here that I have no sympathy whatsoever for Nazis and did not do what my red text accuses me of.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Oh and by the way, here is my official 'how to sort of fix AoS pretty quickly' rules, copyright me, because I wrote them. All based on snap judgements and limited information so they should be perfect.

Step 1:
Army building is pretty much fine the way it is in the Generals Handbook, but allow the addition of 'Grand Alliance' allies without losing your primary factions bonus. An Ally matrix might be overkill but it's stupid that I can't take Wood Elf archers with Treedudes without giving up all the fun Treedude faction rules. Maybe your General and Battleline units must come from your primary faction, and each other faction you ally in you must take one battleline unit for each other unit.

Step 2:
Characters can now allocate shooting hits (not wounds, hits) to friendly Battleline units within 3" on a 4+. Characters need some protection but it shouldn't be complete and automatic. Mortal wounds can not be allocated.

Step 3:
Warmachine crew can not be targeted by ranged attacks or spells. Crew stats are for melee only.

Step 4:
Mortal Wounds need a bit of a trim back somehow. Maybe no armour save on a 4+.

Step 5:
Alternating turn priority is kind of bullshit, but if you have to keep it, make the turn order static but each turn the 2nd place player may opt to try and seize the initiative on 6+

There, done. Not a perfect game but better.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2017

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

I think there's straight-up some models that have bases longer than 6" now

Like the PHR big spider-walker things - these are fine, you deploy them touching the baseline when they come on.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Basically it's Alice McGee's fairytales. There's more than a few comparisons to Malifaux's Neverborn that got the Warmahordes thread defensive about but aren't unwarranted.

Personally I'm kind of torn. The models themselves are good but the paint jobs are a bit too pastel for the setting so that, even though they fit into the Iron Kingdoms setting nicely, they feel counter to the look and feel of Warmahordes.

I get the gut feeling that if Privateer Press' Descent clone was more successful we'd be seeing them as as an expansion to that instead.

That said, the center piece warcaster is Not-Baba Yaga riding a robotic chicken hut, which is awesome.

Isn't there already one of those in the Not Russia faction?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Bad Moon posted:

Isn't there already one of those in the Not Russia faction?

Its the same one

To further drive home the Malifaux connection they made her a dual Warlock/Warcaster for both factions.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

TKIY posted:

Step 1:
Army building is pretty much fine the way it is in the Generals Handbook, but allow the addition of 'Grand Alliance' allies without losing your primary factions bonus. An Ally matrix might be overkill but it's stupid that I can't take Wood Elf archers with Treedudes without giving up all the fun Treedude faction rules. Maybe your General and Battleline units must come from your primary faction, and each other faction you ally in you must take one battleline unit for each other unit.

They are almost there with some of the battalions, but not quite. There are some sylvaneth battalions that let you take a wizard from anywhere in the order, or 2 units of duarvediners, etc. Something a bit more flexible would be cool, while still disallowing some factions from just including the fliers or warmachines or whatever that would round out their force and push it over the top (*cough* I used cheap harpies in virtually every WHFB army to pick off warmachine crews. I don't remember the edition, whatever was out when WH40K 2nd was out. "They uhh kind of look like flying skaven").

The other problem is that a bunch of the battalions that let you pull in allies don't have point costs for some reason. So, there is a battalion box for ironjawz that includes a giant, which is part of the super-faction and not ironjawz. They include an Ironjawz battalion warscroll that has a giant in it, but there is not points value assigned to it so you can't technically use the special battalion rules for matched play; if you include the giant in matched play, you can't use black orks or brutes as battle line anymore. Some people on the internet have tried to assign point values for all of these, but that's obviously not going to work everywhere. Hopefully they cut that out with GHB2 and give points to all of these things.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 21, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Safety Factor posted:

Jesus Christ, I looked up the new faction because I wanted to see a model and wound up finding a 16 minute long video of a woman doing a witch voice as she described everything. This was an official release. Why?
You weren't joking, that was horrendous. Who on earth thought that keeping that up for 15 minutes was a good plan?

I'm not particularly taken by the concept, the idea of a bunch of fairy tale bogeys loses a lot of force given how hosed up the other factions already are. And some of them like the fat pigs just look kind of goofy.

Also the concept that Menoth, first human god, was apparently unable to get a five year old child under control and settles for hurling them into hell. This is why you lose followers to Morrow, dude, that is not practical parenting advice for your followers!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yo, link me up. I want to see this nice, new faction since it seems interesting.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think the core concept of Heretics arisen from hell to enact vengence on the Tyranny of Law itself is a good one. I just wish that they went for something truly demonic rather than the weird Grimm's fairytale by way of Malifaux they went for.

Like if they could inject some style from Warhammer Chaos into the faction it would be a lot more interesting and make it less similar in style to Malifaux.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Yo, link me up. I want to see this nice, new faction since it seems interesting.

Here you go! As mentioned the audio gimmick is not good and gets old very fast.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah the narration was awful, but personally I love the idea of dudes coming back from hell and using what are essentially the things people have nightmares about and the folk tales and urban legends used to scare children as actual horrific monsters to murder everyone.

"My mom used to scare me into doing my chores by saying if I didn't, then the Dread Rot would come and put a pumpkin on my head and make me one of them, ha ha, what a stor- OH GOD THEY'RE HERE THEY'RE REAL AND THEY'RE COMING FOR ME"

I can see why it doesn't exactly have universal appeal but it's definitely hitting all the right notes for me (except I still think the pigs are kind of dumb but they still fit the whole "spooky folk fable come to life" bit).

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 21, 2017

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
That sounds a lot like the KoW Nightstalkers faction.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Speak of the devil, a tactics article on the AoS 3" bubble thing: https://aos-tactics.com/2017/02/21/zoning-area-denial/

I mean, I'm trying but:

**SIGH**

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah the narration was awful, but personally I love the idea of dudes coming back from hell and using what are essentially the things people have nightmares about and the folk tales and urban legends used to scare children as actual horrific monsters to murder everyone.

"My mom used to scare me into doing my chores by saying if I didn't, then the Dread Rot would come and put a pumpkin on my head and make me one of them, ha ha, what a stor- OH GOD THEY'RE HERE THEY'RE REAL AND THEY'RE COMING FOR ME"

I can see why it doesn't exactly have universal appeal but it's definitely hitting all the right notes for me (except I still think the pigs are kind of dumb but they still fit the whole "spooky folk fable come to life" bit).

Some of it is good and some is eh. The Hollow Men, for example, I think are pretty cool, and the warbeasts are generally good (I don't particularly like the dude with a huge yoke and cages, mostly because the whole thing just seems too blocky and static). Of the three Defiers they show, I actually like the Dreamer and the Heretic well enough. The Child isn't terrible as such, its just kind of a really overdone idea and not one I think needs to be retrod again. Usually PP is better about that - like their take on Dragons is different than most fantasy stuff and that makes it interesting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sorry to go back a couple pages, but can I get a source for this?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TKIY posted:

Speak of the devil, a tactics article on the AoS 3" bubble thing: https://aos-tactics.com/2017/02/21/zoning-area-denial/

I mean, I'm trying but:

**SIGH**

Wait a second:

quote:

The size and shape of you base also contributes to the size of your zone bubble. Skeleton bases have a diameter of roughly a 1″. This creates a bubble with a 7″ diamator. Cavalry bases create an oval zone bubble that has a diameter of 9″ long and 7.5″ wide. You can see how bigger and longer bases can help you deny larger areas.

I thought that in AoS bases are purely decorate and all measuring should be done from the actual model itself?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

It was pretty obvious from early on that all they wanted to do was to share lists and to post pictures of new releases.

List posting is some of the worst type of posting imo

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Moola posted:

List posting is some of the worst type of posting imo

:agreed:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
either you play casual, so loving take whatever you want it doesnt matter

Or you're a tournament player, so you probably already know whats good, so why are you posting your army list?

I hate how it dominates so many threads, its not even GW exclusive

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Wait a second:

I thought that in AoS bases are purely decorate and all measuring should be done from the actual model itself?

Even the die hardiest of die hards plays base to base now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

TKIY posted:

Next you will be telling me that people don't even measure turns as part of model movement. :(

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

TKIY posted:

At my store everyone measures-to-model! :v:

(They do not account for turning)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

At my store everyone measures-to-model! :v:

(They do not account for turning)

Purge the unclean.

• Locked thread