Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

:unsmith: To my fans who are apparently really mad at having the absurdity of complaining about "secret" immigration raids pointed out.

Nah it's your repeated jackassery in an RPG thread of all places, and equating people fleeing for their lives to enemy combatants you loving shitlord. Go back to Stormfront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Jiro posted:

Nah it's your repeated jackassery in an RPG thread of all places, and equating people fleeing for their lives to enemy combatants you loving shitlord. Go back to Stormfront.

:airquote: Fleeing for their lives :airquote:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/virgiltexas/status/832040179280072704

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:911:

I almost got hired by the ICE Phoenix office back in 2012. :saddowns: It's probably for the best I didn't, the last month has really revealed how deep the rot is in the agency.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

For gently caress's sake is there no common sense? And that's some devious poo poo from the abuser.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

"Trump and Hillary are basically the same, I'm voting for Jill Stein or Garry Johnson"

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Heard about Houston's new DA trying to change marijuana policy, this sounds like a great step in the right direction. I live in Houston and am all for it, but I'm afraid Abbott will try to gently caress this up. Hopefully we see changes at the federal level and things keep rolling in the right direction.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/new-punishment-policy-for-pot-stirs-debate/408748669

Edit: Also after watching the entire thing I realize it's not really changing policy so much, as just how they deal with it on a criminal level. Sounds good however, 25 million/year just for pot smokers in jail is a good bit, and it ties up the police. I'm wishful for things down the road.

iroguebot fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 17, 2017

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:911:

I almost got hired by the ICE Phoenix office back in 2012. :saddowns: It's probably for the best I didn't, the last month has really revealed how deep the rot is in the agency.

I knew a guy who worked for ICE for about a decade and boooooy howdy ICE is a load of shitheels if any of his stories are true.
And it's not like he says them in a "yeah we did this it was lovely." Homeboy was proud of it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

iroguebot posted:

Heard about Houston's new DA trying to change marijuana policy, this sounds like a great step in the right direction. I live in Houston and am all for it, but I'm afraid Abbott will try to gently caress this up. Hopefully we see changes at the federal level and things keep rolling in the right direction.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/new-punishment-policy-for-pot-stirs-debate/408748669

lmao

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

You're right, we should just secede fully and have a economy based entirely of oil, weed, and tacos.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

iroguebot posted:

You're right, we should just secede fully and have a economy based entirely of oil, weed, and tacos.

Only if we can cut East Texas and College Station out from Texas. And I mean like literally physically cut it out from the ground and airlift the whole drat thing over to Arkansas.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Jiro posted:

Only if we can cut East Texas and College Station out from Texas. And I mean like literally physically cut it out from the ground and airlift the whole drat thing over to Arkansas.

Can Fuego stay?

(also me :ohdear: )

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Jiro posted:

Honestly you could probably bribe enough legislators to not only get that passed but have the state give you enough tax incentives to cover it all

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
EDIT2: Crossposting from cannabis thread. Btw if you're a veteran who supports cannabis in Austin, and wants to come lobby on Wednesday 22 Jan, PM me.

So I spent part of this week working a NORML/MPP booth in the Austin capitol promoting weed reform. Turns out that our humble little booth managed to royally piss off the Montgomery County DA:

https://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/district-attorney-brett-ligon-issues-response-marijuana-legalization/ posted:

Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon Cautions Newly Elected Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg
“She Does Not Speak for Majority of Texas District & County Attorney’s”

Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon cautioned newly elected Harris County District Attorney Kim Ogg that “she doesn’t speak for the State of Texas or the majority of elected District and County Attorney’s across the State” and warns against her role in becoming a spokesperson for a liberal marijuana legalization organization (see below – flyer’s displayed at the Texas Capital this week).

“Despite a rise in violent crime rates in Harris County, Ms. Ogg chooses to focus her attention on the issue of legalization of marijuana,” Ligon said. “I hope it’s a mistake in judgment on her part and not a sign of things to come. I respect the jurisdictional differences between Montgomery County and Harris County, and I hope she does too.

Unlike Harris County, Montgomery County will not become a sanctuary for dope smokers. I swore an oath to follow the law – all the laws, as written by the Texas Legislature. I don’t get to pick and choose which laws I enforce,” Ligon said.

“Further, I have my doubts about the study that her organization touts regarding the dismissal rate for misdemeanor cases. Experienced prosecutors know that misdemeanor possession cases are usually filed in combination with other charges and are likely dismissed as part of a plea to another matter, or disposed of through pre-trial diversion programs, only after the defendant has had the opportunity to receive drug and alcohol treatment and counseling,” Ligon concluded.

EDIT: as I was leaving the capitol to catch the bus home, the buses were delayed by an anti-deportation march going on. But although my commute was disrupted I did not immediately call for the protestors to be run over with bulldozers.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Montgomery County is complete and utter poo poo so that's not surprising.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Awesome Welles posted:

Montgomery County is complete and utter poo poo so that's not surprising.

I want to email and ask him if he needs a "safe space".

EDIT: I don't know county boundaries well, but I googled it and went "ohhh, Conroe, that makes sense."

They're apparently also considering a robust "profile brown people" program in that county: http://abc13.com/news/mcso-mulling-controversial-immigration-program/1753203/

I'm not driving to New Orleans, and we have plenty of catfish shacks in Austin, so I don't feel any particular need to pass through Conroe.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 17, 2017

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

:barf:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Not sure what the barf is for, they taste awesome. It's just cheerios and cocoa crisp mixed together, but it's cool and good.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Jiro posted:

For gently caress's sake is there no common sense? And that's some devious poo poo from the abuser.

Happens a lot. Judging by the stuff I saw it's not atypical for rear end in a top hat husbands to turn in their spouses as a way to get back at them. Or making up stories wholesale to try to get them deported. Depending on who is heading the administration at the time you can get some truly heinous poo poo like denying a woman's asylum claim due to her not technically being a protected class. The protected class, in this instance, would be "woman being abused by their husbands who hold political sway". It's why the VAWA was such a loving big deal and you should punch anyone arguing for it being done away with.

Spaced God posted:

I knew a guy who worked for ICE for about a decade and boooooy howdy ICE is a load of shitheels if any of his stories are true.
And it's not like he says them in a "yeah we did this it was lovely." Homeboy was proud of it

Lots of shitheels, yeah. Some try to hide it, some don't. That's not to say that there's not good minded folks with the IJ or ICE. But plenty of assholes.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
A reminder to all the Number Ten Cocks regularly strolls into the SCOTUS thread to praise Scalia and Pryor. He's just some dumb troll, or an 80 year old man trapped in a youthful body. When told to gently caress off he always spouts some poo poo about "winning" or "liberal tears". Just put him on ignore.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Apparently Abbott is trying his damndest to get a constitutional convention rolling... Why are there so many lovely people in power? :sigh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Apparently Abbott is trying his damndest to get a constitutional convention rolling... Why are there so many lovely people in power? :sigh:

Because people didn't work hard enough to stop them, and also voter suppression

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Because people that want to make the world better don't think to go into government.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

duz posted:

Because people that want to make the world better don't think to go into government.

Ugh, I need to develop superpowers and bring the entire world under my thumb. It will be a much better place

for me

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/davidmcswane/status/833802633748082688

:psyduck:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Gonna do three best BBQ in Texas issues a year now

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Gonna do three best BBQ in Texas issues a year now

Which city has the best bbq, best burritos, best breakfast tacos, best queso, best kolaches, best pecan pie, best sweet tea, best chili, best craft beer, best chicken fried steak, best salsa, best Whataburger?

Repeat every year like Zoo Books. gently caress on piles of money.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PostNouveau posted:

Which city has the best bbq, best burritos, best breakfast tacos, best queso, best kolaches, best pecan pie, best sweet tea, best chili, best craft beer, best chicken fried steak, best salsa, best Whataburger?

Repeat every year like Zoo Books. gently caress on piles of money.

Bum Steer. You can fill either the December or January episode with the Bum Steer awards where you make short quips of the dumbest poo poo that happened this year.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hm yeah good business plan, there isn't a saturation of similar by-the-numbers "lifestyle" magazines on a state level and from city to city, not at all

:thumbsup:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

This is a tragedy.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Self-nominating for Bum Steer, I see

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Welp I guess my friend's brother is going to stop writing for the Texas Monthly.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Some of this may have been caused by the fact that Texas Tribune is doing politics better and on a daily basis. Still it will be disappointing to lose in depth reporting that Texas Monthly has done. Speaking of Texas Tribune, here's a link to heir Texas Public Schools Explorer.

I was surprised by the fact that 52% of all students in Texas public schools are hispanic; only 29% are white and 13 % are african american.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha, this idiot is trying to pull the "you took me out of context!!!!! :qq:" poo poo.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/state/texas/article134001084.html

The only problem is CJR responded and it's clear he - shockingly - wasn't. This guy sounds like a moron.

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 21, 2017

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
But seriously if it becomes a lifestyle magazine then there is literally no reason to read it. gently caress that guy.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
When they go out of business, it would be really considerate of them to use their final issue to point people interested in BBQ information to the Austin thread on the Something Awful forums. BBQ is pretty much all we talk about, and we rehash the same arguments every month or so.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

When they go out of business, it would be really considerate of them to use their final issue to point people interested in BBQ information to the Austin thread on the Something Awful forums. BBQ is pretty much all we talk about, and we rehash the same arguments every month or so.

Lol if you get BBQ in Austin instead of several superior non Austin bbqs

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

They already have a spinoff site dedicated to BBQ. http://www.tmbbq.com/

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

corn in the bible posted:

Lol if you get BBQ in Austin instead of several superior non Austin bbqs

Oh JFC what have I done?

The Austin thread is the default thread for Central Texas, the cradle of BBQ in Texas. There are some tremendously good BBQ joints all over the state, but between Lockhart, Austin, Elgin, etc... It's the home of the highest concentration of great BBQ, with most of the legendary places in Texas residing in Lockhart.

Even if you were taking my statement as narrowly as possible and were limiting my BBQ options to within Austin city limits, laugh all you want while I eat the undisputed, definitive, unquestionably best brisket in Texas (and therefore probably the world?).

poemdexter posted:

They already have a spinoff site dedicated to BBQ. http://www.tmbbq.com/

It was obviously a joke, but my assumption would be that in this scenario, tmbbq would be dragged into bankruptcy along with Texas Monthly proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh JFC what have I done?

The Austin thread is the default thread for Central Texas, the cradle of BBQ in Texas. There are some tremendously good BBQ joints all over the state, but between Lockhart, Austin, Elgin, etc... It's the home of the highest concentration of great BBQ, with most of the legendary places in Texas residing in Lockhart.

Even if you were taking my statement as narrowly as possible and were limiting my BBQ options to within Austin city limits, laugh all you want while I eat the undisputed, definitive, unquestionably best brisket in Texas (and therefore probably the world?).

It was obviously a joke, but my assumption would be that in this scenario, tmbbq would be dragged into bankruptcy along with Texas Monthly proper.

I'll be eating lamb ribs at Davila's in Seguin and laughing at your smallmindedness