Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Unfortunately I'm on Xbox.

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure that's the reason grandmaster wolven armor doesn't require the lower-levelled one like the other grandmasters do. So you can get Wolven grandmaster even when it's bugged out on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MikeJF posted:

If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure that's the reason grandmaster wolven armor doesn't require the lower-levelled one like the other grandmasters do. So you can get Wolven grandmaster even when it's bugged out on you.

Oh no poo poo? I got the second level armor/swords (superior?) diagrams but obviously can't make those until I have the initial ones.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Drifter posted:

1) The person you are in a relationship with, if not a relationship, then
2) Ciri, if that person is not alive, then
3) Dandelion

Does number 2 change any depending on whether Ciri is a witcher or an empress?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Hobo Clown posted:

Does number 2 change any depending on whether Ciri is a witcher or an empress?

It should. I don't know if they ever fixed the bug that prevented one of the two scenes from showing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So in regards to ending 1) So Yenn or Triss show up and do they say "hey lets live here together and bouncy bouncy all the time" Or is it like 2) where Ciri shows up, updates you on her life and Geralt just leaves?

And yea in my game Ciri she talks about how she's in Procession across the Empire to learn about it and she's still not 100% sure if she wants to be Empress

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

So in regards to ending 1) So Yenn or Triss show up and do they say "hey lets live here together and bouncy bouncy all the time"
It's this one.
It's nice.

And yeah, 2) reflects the ending of the vanilla game.

Can you beat BnW before you beat Vanilla? What does that change with regards to the endings? Or does it not account for that?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

twistedmentat posted:

So in regards to ending 1) So Yenn or Triss show up and do they say "hey lets live here together and bouncy bouncy all the time" Or is it like 2) where Ciri shows up, updates you on her life and Geralt just leaves?

And yea in my game Ciri she talks about how she's in Procession across the Empire to learn about it and she's still not 100% sure if she wants to be Empress

1 is not that vapid but pretty much. Triss updates you on life in Kovir, and Geralt promises to head back north with her when the business in Toussaint is concluded, the villa is a vacation home for them.

Yen comes and stays, and the villa is where the base game epilogue occurs. She and Geralt muse about retirement, as neither had imagined it before.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

WoodrowSkillson posted:

1 is not that vapid but pretty much. Triss updates you on life in Kovir, and Geralt promises to head back north with her when the business in Toussaint is concluded, the villa is a vacation home for them.

Yen comes and stays, and the villa is where the base game epilogue occurs. She and Geralt muse about retirement, as neither had imagined it before.

Well, I meant it more joking than vapid, but that's good. I have more incentive to replay Witcher 3 at some point. Beyond, you know, it being Witcher 3.

Btw Syanna reminds me way to much of Yenn in appearance. Actually when tracking her down, Geralt remarks about how Yenn isn't the only one who has monochrome clothing choices doesn't he?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I just got to the point in B&W where you can unlock mutations, and I only got enough points to unlock one of the first three mutations. So I read the options I have:

Red option: Something something something
Green option: Something something something
Blue option: Something something Opponents explode

Yup, blue it is!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

No matter how many times I play the game, I can never do the Empress Ciri ending.

Just nothing about it seems appropriate or to flow right - Ciri makes such a big point out of hating how much that people dictate the terms of her life to her or are only interested in her for what gain it will bring them, and all the people she goes out of her way to point out as liking are those who just accepted her for who SHE was, helped her without expecting anything in return or otherwise just treated her like a person.

Come the ending of the game, going with Witcher Ciri just feels like the right thing to do, what she always wanted, and she seems genuinely thrilled to finally be free. Plus I have never taken the opportunity to bring her to see Emhyr, as the only time it comes up she's raring to go after Imlerith, and gently caress that guy (Emhyr) anyway.

Last part doesn't need spoilers actually - gently caress Emhyr :mad:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 21, 2017

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Without getting too spoilery, I sent Triss away earlier in the game and then most recently told Yen I didn't love her anymore after breaking the curse/spell. I'm just after the Ugly Baby quest and am working on getting buds to come help at Kaer Morhen. Did I screw myself out of having a girlfriend or whatever? I got tired of Yen's poo poo and wanted to see if telling her I didn't love her brought Triss back somehow but I haven't seen that happening yet and don't think it will.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Without getting too spoilery, I sent Triss away earlier in the game and then most recently told Yen I didn't love her anymore after breaking the curse/spell. I'm just after the Ugly Baby quest and am working on getting buds to come help at Kaer Morhen. Did I screw myself out of having a girlfriend or whatever? I got tired of Yen's poo poo and wanted to see if telling her I didn't love her brought Triss back somehow but I haven't seen that happening yet and don't think it will.

Telling a girl you don't love her doesn't bring the other girl back.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Ciri grows as a character throughout the game. The bitter-sweet ending is the best because, much like her and the white frost, she's able to best change the world for the better as a result. Nobody likes things right away, when she comes to visit she's barely into training for her role.

The Witcher ending is some namby-pamby happy go lucky bullshit.

No matter the reason, I think I like it best because of how well it's produced and acted. It was just crushing. :ohdear: It fits with the tone of the game.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
End of Vanilla spoilers If I get the bad ending with Ciri, is the apocalypse still averted, but she doesn't survive the attempt to stop it?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Telling a girl you don't love her doesn't bring the other girl back.

Yeah I guess the better question would have been is if Triss comes back after you send her away earlier in the game.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

End of Vanilla spoilers If I get the bad ending with Ciri, is the apocalypse still averted, but she doesn't survive the attempt to stop it?

Correct

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

The Witcher ending is some namby-pamby happy go lucky bullshit.

Good, she deserves it. She saved the world, she should be allowed to be happy :colbert:

Going through all that crap with the Wild Hunt and the White Frost just to jam her into yet another role that others have dictated for her without regard for her thoughts/feelings would just make me feel like I had accomplished nothing. A big aspect of the White Frost bit is that Ciri looked on Geralt as a father figure and based on your choices in the game, if her "dad" has frequently shown her not just love but also respect and acknowledgement that she is a grown-up that gives her the confidence to successfully shut down the Frost AND live. To have her go through that cathartic experience and then just see her once again slotted into a role she never wanted because it is her "duty" feels like a rejection of one of the core themes of the game, which is that Ciri has been trying her whole life to escape the cage of other people's expectations and just be her own person.

Personally I also think it is far more in keeping with the tone of the game for all the machinations of Emhyr, Philippa, Djikstra etc to blow up in their faces because they were all reliant on Ciri as a figurehead/piece in their games of chess, and now the ones who are still alive are left to squabble it out among themselves because she removed herself from the board.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Is this the 'bittersweet' ending you guys refer to?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is this the 'bittersweet' ending you guys refer to?

No. Bittersweet is being discussed right above your post. That's the Bad Ending.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Jerusalem posted:

No matter how many times I play the game, I can never do the Empress Ciri ending.

Just nothing about it seems appropriate or to flow right - Ciri makes such a big point out of hating how much that people dictate the terms of her life to her or are only interested in her for what gain it will bring them, and all the people she goes out of her way to point out as liking are those who just accepted her for who SHE was, helped her without expecting anything in return or otherwise just treated her like a person
I don't really understand it, do they cut off her power to hop between dimensions or what, why does she have to be empress? Even if they do, a good day for most of the people in Witcherworld is not being mutilated by a Leshen before they can eat their gruel, so I'm sure she'll be fine.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The bad ending made me want to restart but what the hell we are all dust in the wind anyways

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought I'd got the bad ending when Geralt reported Ciri's death to Emhyr, and some of his lines made it seem like he didn't care whether the emperor had him executed, and then he went to White Orchard and seemed to be forlornly asking some guys if they needed help with anything, and turned the game off in annoyance, literally as I was about to enter the White Orchard inn. Oops.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I thought I'd got the bad ending when Geralt reported Ciri's death to Emhyr, and some of his lines made it seem like he didn't care whether the emperor had him executed, and then he went to White Orchard and seemed to be forlornly asking some guys if they needed help with anything, and turned the game off in annoyance, literally as I was about to enter the White Orchard inn. Oops.

Ahaha, that's awesome

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The bad ending is the best ending, it's just a pity I'll never actually do it.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah it was pretty bad rear end facing off against the last crone, without a care in the world.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The best ending is when everyone dies? :crossarms:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I wish this game had Dark Souls style combat. Would truly own. The combat is pretty bad but everything else is so damned good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Drifter posted:

The best ending is when everyone dies? :crossarms:

Grim ending for a grim setting. Me, I'd have had an ending where if you got no points with Ciri she chickened out of fighting the White Frost at all, and the epilogue was Geralt walking through a frozen Novigrad with that freeze-to-death meter counting down veerrrryy slowly.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I always thought that the Empress ending was the ending that was the best for the state of the world, especially when combined with Queen Cerys in Skellige. Between them all the North, Nilfgaard and Skellige is ruled by intelligent and enlightened women.
I can imagine, because Ciri has lived the life of 'common people', has seen how peasants live and is pretty down to earth herself, that she would strive to make life better for those in her empire. Plus I bet persecution of mages would stop and as Ciri rules it all there would be no need for wars. Plus I bet Witchers would get more respect.
I know it's not what Ciri personally wanted to do, but I reckon she could kick off a golden age.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't get why everyone wants the grim ending or how everyone assumes that because the Witcher approaches real world subjects with a deft hand that the ending therefore needs to be bittersweet. The whole point of blood and wine was to give geralt some semblance of a happy ending to his life. Super bunnyhop was on the money when he said that the Witcher franchise is more like a black comedy version of Shrek than it is a supreme drama.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I like a spectrum from depressing to happy, personally.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Helith posted:

I always thought that the Empress ending was the ending that was the best for the state of the world, especially when combined with Queen Cerys in Skellige. Between them all the North, Nilfgaard and Skellige is ruled by intelligent and enlightened women.
I can imagine, because Ciri has lived the life of 'common people', has seen how peasants live and is pretty down to earth herself, that she would strive to make life better for those in her empire. Plus I bet persecution of mages would stop and as Ciri rules it all there would be no need for wars. Plus I bet Witchers would get more respect.
I know it's not what Ciri personally wanted to do, but I reckon she could kick off a golden age.

Ciri is only one person. She can't change the mind of everyone. Peasants would still fear witchers, and they'll still go extinct one day. Kovir is still independent and ruled by the Thyssen's. Although they seem to be of sound mind.

Mages were only being persecuted in the Northern Realms because the Lodge's role in the assassination of Demavend, Foltest and (or not) Henselt. Technically it was Nilfgaard playing them, but it was still the Lodge who set in motion the events that allowed Nilfgaard to invade. Mages in Nilfgaard under Emhyr were kept on a short leash, but it was nothing like the witch hunts that were happening in TW3.

I'd imagine Ciri still having certain domestic issues. Nilfgaard would still practice slavery, and I don't think Ciri could do much about that. The elves would really like her though, so at least guys like Iorveth could finally catch a break. Having someone on the throne who has elven blood would most likely cause the disbandment of the Scoia'tael, and maybe Dol Blathanna might actually work if the elven young return there and get busy.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

TenaciousD posted:

Gilthoniel on YouTube has been releasing parts of the Polish audiobooks with Eng subs from the official translations. It's drat good. You're really missing out if you haven't read or listened to the book stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siNrtdQHNWY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOKkMFJPf6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrI5C7kucH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKxJ1_TjcMk

Fun fact: Krzysztof Banaszyk, who voices Roche in the games, voices Geralt in the audiobooks.

Wow, even without speaking Polish it sounds so drat good when each character has it's own appropriate actor instead of one guy voicing everything. Now I'm sad there's no English version with the game's cast.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The bad ending is not the best only because it's grim but it's also the one with the best direction, dialogues, most memorable scenes and an overall mastery in how it's pulled off. Too bad you have to be a bad dad to get it but it's worth experiencing honestly.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

Senjuro posted:

Wow, even without speaking Polish it sounds so drat good when each character has it's own appropriate actor instead of one guy reading everything. Now I'm sad there's no English version with the game's cast.

You should play the games in Polish with eng subs. There's not much difference in the main text, but peasants often have different lines. Also the Polish VA can be super sexy at times. Some characters are better in English IMO, like Dethmold, Iorveth and the Bloody Baron.

Just saying, if they ever did English audiobook versions, some characters could use a new casting.

Cough, Triss and Dandelion. They should have just called him Jaskier, that sounds like an actual name, even if it's still meant to refer to a plant.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Once I started Hearts of Stone and ran into fights where you have like 10 knights at a time with ridiculous HP/damage resistance but they get finished off in one click like everything else when Aarded successfully, I just started dumping all my points into Aard.

This decision was rewarded in Blood and Wine with the extra mutations.

Also Griffin armor can actually look quite good and knightly if died blue or similar colours. Nice to switch to after I had the modded Griffin armor in the base game that's black/grey.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 22, 2017

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017

bewilderment posted:

Once I started Hearts of Stone and ran into fights where you have like 10 knights at a time with ridiculous HP/damage resistance but they get finished off in one click like everything else when Aarded successfully, I just started dumping all my points into Aard.

This decision was rewarded in Blood and Wine with the extra mutations.

Could have also chugged some potions, chunked a Northern Wind and whirled/rended them into pieces. Always more than one option.

Something I noticed the other day is that if you freeze and enemy with Northern Wind, and kill them in one hit, like with Rend, they explode and shatter in a bloody mess. It's brutal, and I'm pretty sure that never happened when the game launched.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Drifter posted:

Can you beat BnW before you beat Vanilla? What does that change with regards to the endings? Or does it not account for that?
I did HoS before beating vanilla and then was so high level I just went off to do BnW, and the "ending" I got with Triss didn't trigger until after I finished vanilla and went back to try to figure out which ending I got for BnW.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gas clouds affect humanoids right? So the one Flaming Rose fight in the cavern could be won by chugging a Golden Oriole and then kiting them around the gas field, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Is anyone playing this on a Steam Link? If so, how does it run and what are your specs?