Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I know, but I have a tendency to binge play games and burn out on them, which is why I tend to shy away from getting too much into early access things. I've just binged a bit on Battle Brothers so I might drop that to play Starsector again for a bit.

I feel your pain. I binge with each patch release and then go back into hibernation once I'm sated stomping the sector. But it's still awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh that's right, I get a memory error on the current patch when I try to load the game. That's why I haven't bothered.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I burn out every time i get a solid frontline of Auroras that face tank everything except a properly fit battleship with battlecruiser support.

It's not economical to outfit your own battleship fleet unless you can expect to fight B-ships on a constant basis. And if not, then you aren't fit to fight one, therefore you lose whenever they pop up.

Hopefully this new patch will allow me to field terrible distraction ships that allow my heavies to get into optimal firing positions.

Pew pew, enemy scum.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Soloing enemy fleets in an Onslaught was fun but it will be nice to have a more even power curve between level 1 and level 50 max combat spec.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does anyone know what causes "exception in LWJGL initialization" error? The game was working just fine yesterday, but after a reboot it now only spits that out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I currently have a policy of never flying anything smaller than a cruiser in the end‐game.

It will be cool to see the smaller ships as something other than enemy piņatas.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Anticheese posted:

Does anyone know what causes "exception in LWJGL initialization" error? The game was working just fine yesterday, but after a reboot it now only spits that out.
New NVidia drivers broke the library, but given Minecraft also uses it expect a fix soon.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

yep and win10 autodownloads the broken drivers or something

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I know, but I have a tendency to binge play games and burn out on them, which is why I tend to shy away from getting too much into early access things. I've just binged a bit on Battle Brothers so I might drop that to play Starsector again for a bit.

The nice thing about this game is that even if you burn out you can come back a year later and it's even better.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I've not touched the game ever since it was called Starfarer and I hate starting out with the small ships and fighting things as a weak little opportunist, any recommendations of easy ways to make money fast to get to fun big ships?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I've not touched the game ever since it was called Starfarer and I hate starting out with the small ships and fighting things as a weak little opportunist, any recommendations of easy ways to make money fast to get to fun big ships?

Install Starsector+ and use one of its more advanced starting fleets.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Just use the command line mod and give yourself a shitload of buckaroons

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Alternatively wait for the next patch (seems to be coming soon, in the relative scale of SS), wherein you will still start out broke with 1-2 ships but with options to progress yourself other than trying to pick off lone pirates without getting ganked.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Patch is gonna hit next week. Cheers!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Friendly Humour posted:

Yessssssss

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anticheese posted:

Yessssssss

lol

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Friendly Humour posted:

Notes are up

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Wow, these patch notes are amazing! I can't believe he is accomplishing this much in this patch!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

Second time you've got me. God drat it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think you pasted the wrong link there friend

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think he meant to post this

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I think both of you are unfunny nerds.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ah poo poo, you figured out my not-so-secret identity.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Does anyone else think it's insane it takes a year for a patch?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TescoBag posted:

Not when the "patch" is basically a major expansion and it's one guy and he's a brilliant perfectionist.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Guess you don't play Dwarf Fortress.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TescoBag posted:

I wonder if people would complain less if he just renamed the patches as "Expansion Packs" or "New DLC".

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

I wonder if people would complain less if he just renamed the patches as "Expansion Packs" or "New DLC".

"Why is the dev selling an unfinished game!?!?!"

-:downs:

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

TescoBag posted:

Not really

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I would still be raging because this next patch, like every patch looks like it's going to be awesome and I'm desperate to get my hands on it.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Not when the "patch" is basically a major expansion and it's one guy and he's a brilliant perfectionist.

This really needs to be said over and over again. Every patch he puts out is so well put together.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TescoBag posted:

Being honest, the literal one-year patch cycle is sorta mind-boggling, but it's made bearable by the fact that the game is actually alive and under continuous development and the developer has been very honest and straightforward about managing expectations with the timeframe.

Like, there's an actual year's worth of content being dumped off on this. It's just peak :fractal: that it's happening in one giant load.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Plus there's all the mods and other games to play, so I'm fine with it. :shrug:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

When he finally releases on Steam he's going to become a millionaire overnight. I'm really looking forward to workshop integration too, manually downloading mods is so 2012.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Retro42 posted:

This really needs to be said over and over again. Every patch he puts out is so well put together.

With many other games (whether indie or AAA) I've basically become used to frequent crashes, obvious bugs that never get fixed, and mechanics just haphazardly thrown in without any regard for whether they make the game any more fun. It's always really refreshing to play SS where none of that is present.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

There's a new dev diary up. Read and enjoy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Practical tricks like that frying pan moon is seriously cool to me.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Haha, I think I got mentioned.

Psycho Landlord posted:

So I just examined that map for real, and a distressing number of systems in there are named after Lovecraftian space gods and demons :ohdear:

That's a real good diary though, I dig reading about all the design processes in SS. And also the Castlevania references.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

THE BAR posted:

Practical tricks like that frying pan moon is seriously cool to me.

One of my favorite anecdotes from teaching game programming was having a student wander around their house with a cardboard tube hitting various objects until they found something that made a good sound effect. The stuff that people come up with on a shoestring budget never ceases to amaze me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always enjoyed the fluff, tone, and backstory in this game. It's just as well crafted as the ship graphics and gameplay itself.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 22, 2017