Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i like how that insufferable theater nerd compared this year's political oscars to a twitter or facebook feed, like this is a good thing that doesn't cause stress and helplessness among people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

every once in a while I remember that Immortal Technique threw Lin-Manuel Miranda in a garbage can in high school and the world seems a little brighter

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

an actual dog posted:

every once in a while I remember that Immortal Technique threw Lin-Manuel Miranda in a garbage can in high school and the world seems a little brighter

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ughh just hand out your loving awards

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I hope the speeches focus on why it was good to kill Al-Awlaki's son, but bad to kill his daughter

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

an actual dog posted:

god bless him

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Darkman Fanpage posted:

ughh just hand out your loving awards

This. I don't watch the Oscars because I'm not an idiot, but the self-importance is ridiculous. A room full of multi-millionaires are presumably going to fare better (financially, at least) under Trump than they did under Obama. Bill Burr is hit-or-miss for me, but he made up an acceptance speech on the fly to mock the Golden Globes one from Meryl Streep and it was hilarious. The fact that vocal portions of the left (at least on the internet) sees these things as relevant political actions probably means we're in trouble. Wealthy people with an audience being part of a coalition has been a useful strategy at least since the Triangle fire, but now we're just at a point of groveling for wealthy celebrities to do it all for us.

Goddammit there I go getting mad in the McDonald's drive thru woke thread

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

me: the Oscars are garbage, they're not about quality but who has the best connections and it does nothing but inflate the self-importance of multi-millionaires

also me: I hope Moonlight wins for best picture

also also me: I hope George Clooney runs for president

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Darkman Fanpage posted:

engineers are joyless retards

All the engineers (and coincidentally chemists?) I've ever known have been the biggest conspiracy theory InfoWars dipshits, so agreed

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

"la la land is going to sweep the oscars because hollywood likes nothing more than sucking its own dick"
-jay bauman

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

"la la land is going to sweep the oscars because hollywood likes nothing more than sucking its own dick"
-jay bauman

Fitting quote for the sex page

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

-jay bauman

Most likely, but I still have a little hope Moonlight wins (even though I really liked La La Land) :unsmith:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RedneckwithGuns posted:

All the engineers (and coincidentally chemists?) I've ever known have been the biggest conspiracy theory InfoWars dipshits, so agreed

Get better friends.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
new and exciting forms of brand engagement

https://www.buzzfeed.com/bensmith/uber-executive-suggests-digging-up-dirt-on-journalists

quote:

A senior executive at Uber suggested that the company should consider hiring a team of opposition researchers to dig up dirt on its critics in the media — and specifically to spread details of the personal life of a female journalist who has criticized the company.

quote:

At the dinner, Michael expressed outrage at Lacy’s column and said that women are far more likely to get assaulted by taxi drivers than Uber drivers. He said that he thought Lacy should be held “personally responsible” for any woman who followed her lead in deleting Uber and was then sexually assaulted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If by "new and exciting" you mean "more than two years old", then maybe

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

sexism is not even close to the worst thing about uber

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Wow. Such a way with words.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

If by "new and exciting" you mean "more than two years old", then maybe

perhaps they meant to link this blog post from two days ago which provides a decent look at uber's absolutely garbage company culture

i wonder what hashtag they're fighting this with

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Fullhouse posted:

perhaps they meant to link this blog post from two days ago which provides a decent look at uber's absolutely garbage company culture

i wonder what hashtag they're fighting this with

That is some deeply horrifying poo poo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

That is some deeply horrifying poo poo

Thats the kind of poo poo that happens at amazon too, my sister used to work there.

Techbros are shitheads.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

got any sevens posted:

Thats the kind of poo poo that happens at amazon too, my sister used to work there.

Techbros are shitheads.

the nytimes I think did an article on how lovely amazon is and it annoyed me how quickly it seemed to get buried

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oh Snapple! posted:

the nytimes I think did an article on how lovely amazon is and it annoyed me how quickly it seemed to get buried

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/technology/inside-amazon-wrestling-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0

fun excerpt:

quote:

Molly Jay, an early member of the Kindle team, said she received high ratings for years. But when she began traveling to care for her father, who was suffering from cancer, and cut back working on nights and weekends, her status changed. She was blocked from transferring to a less pressure-filled job, she said, and her boss told her she was “a problem.” As her father was dying, she took unpaid leave to care for him and never returned to Amazon.

“When you’re not able to give your absolute all, 80 hours a week, they see it as a major weakness,” she said.

A woman who had thyroid cancer was given a low performance rating after she returned from treatment. She says her manager explained that while she was out, her peers were accomplishing a great deal. Another employee who miscarried twins left for a business trip the day after she had surgery. “I’m sorry, the work is still going to need to get done,” she said her boss told her. “From where you are in life, trying to start a family, I don’t know if this is the right place for you.”

A woman who had breast cancer was told that she was put on a “performance improvement plan” — Amazon code for “you’re in danger of being fired” — because “difficulties” in her “personal life” had interfered with fulfilling her work goals. Their accounts echoed others from workers who had suffered health crises and felt they had also been judged harshly instead of being given time to recover.

A former human resources executive said she was required to put a woman who had recently returned after undergoing serious surgery, and another who had just had a stillborn child, on performance improvement plans, accounts that were corroborated by a co-worker still at Amazon. “What kind of company do we want to be?” the executive recalled asking her bosses.

The mother of the stillborn child soon left Amazon. “I had just experienced the most devastating event in my life,” the woman recalled via email, only to be told her performance would be monitored “to make sure my focus stayed on my job.”

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
what timeline is this

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i find it hard to believe that no one has murdered these bosses yet

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

someone did a writeup on the working conditions in their warehouses and it's no better. they basically have a constantly rotating staff because no matter how fast you work they will keep setting higher and higher goals for you until they are so ridiculous that nobody could meet them without being able to stop time.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

The_Franz posted:

someone did a writeup on the working conditions in their warehouses and it's no better. they basically have a constantly rotating staff because no matter how fast you work they will keep setting higher and higher goals for you until they are so ridiculous that nobody could meet them without being able to stop time.

back in my day we stopped time, loving millennials too lazy to perform the arcane arts of chronomancy

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

The Brown Menace posted:

back in my day we stopped time, loving millennials too lazy to perform the arcane arts of chronomancy

that's a waste of the world, i tell you what.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Sex page is a woke brand

nice

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Thing is, if you're Amazon and you can leverage your power to cheaply churn through a nearly endless supply of disposable labour which you can work like slaves until they burn out, at which point you terminate them with no ongoing obligation, why wouldn't you? No sappy ideological bullshit, for what reason wouldn't you do this when it has no negative impact on your profit or growth?

And that is why Capitalism cannot be redeemed.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

"Superstar" is techie for slave.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
nice

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/frknbns/status/834599166579990536

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Local Subway won't honor the $6 deal because they're pissed off about the minimum wage increase.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:psyduck: jfc he keeps doing it!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

a true leader

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Brought to you by Subway. Eat Fresh! posted:

Black Lives Matter

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
has anyone said black olives matter yet because lol black olives matter

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
don't forget the black olives. put em on my 6 dollar turkey sub. black olives matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Martin Luther King delivering a power speech in Memphis. "#365black" written on the podium under a pair of golden arches.