Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This explains a lot - like why she had a skill that healed like four points to her and all neighbors when she defended (because that actually qualifies as GOOD healing!) and also why I died to multiple hits in one turn, and oh god it's so unwieldy but I mean even the intro is compelling and I made a burly shirtless man with a hood and gloves like a comic book hero so I kind of have to give it another go.

Anything missable I should watch out for? I assume everything is so branching that there's no overarching tip based on the possible backgrounds and skill trees and poo poo.

There's a few unique NPCs who either depend on the background you started with or are self-exclusive (for example, vampires and werewolves hate eachother, so if you recruit the werewolf guy then the vampire guy will fight you and vice versa). You can always get more people, though, including by recruiting monsters, so it's not a big deal. It is possible to lose important items by throwing them away, though, so don't do that. I don't think you can make the game unwinnable, but it's possible to lose out on side-content that way. Fortunately, while the storage NPC in your base takes up manpower when he's there (that'll be explained later by the game) stuff you leave with him isn't lost if you kick him out; it'll reappear when you re-hire him later, so you can leave weird artifacts in your base and figure out what to use them for later.

E: In addition to unique NPCs with stories and dialog, there's also random dudes around the island to pick up. If you make people (in the character template from the main menu, iirc) then they'll be added to the random NPC list and you can find them hanging around as well.

You want to have some people who have utility skills because a) you open chests and poo poo with them and b) that's where your manpower comes from, which lets you get bigger strongholds or hire more merchants/blacksmiths/etc. Blacksmiths in particular are cool because they can fuse any two identical weapons into the next best weapon of that type, but since you won't be doing that all the time always remember to fire them again afterwards ;)

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hideo baba (the head Tales Of guy from Destiny PS2 up to Zestiria) is working on a game for square enix now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

can't wait for more from the guy who gave us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tAylYdgGQ

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 21, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I wonder if the woman in the promo art will be in this game, either.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I wonder if the woman in the promo art will be in this game, either.

if you wanted to know what she was all about, well, all i can say is i'm sory

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
drat, guess Baba really did have to split after Zesteria.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is bastard bonds a good game

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

corn in the bible posted:

can't wait for more from the guy who gave us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tAylYdgGQ

is this supposed to be not good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

is this supposed to be not good

it's one of the best openings in the entire series

the game is one of the worst in the entire series

the soundtrack in zestiria is incredible in general but it's a lot weaker as a game than its own prequel

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 21, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I kind of miss chill Tales theme songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IBdbvz8rJM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4XtC0LC-_4

e;

honestly legendia's op is one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izXDqPpa9tU

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 21, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've always enjoyed watching Jude punch fish. And the song is 90's anime in a good way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmiFP13mAI4

Xillia 2 is pretty decent as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB4bvAK__Ks

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 21, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tired Moritz posted:

Is bastard bonds a good game
I only played for like five minutes, but I really appreciated the depth of character clothing choices and possible backgrounds and while the dialogue had a few typos the gameplay itself also seemed really fun. I can report back once I know more! corn in the bible played it for some long period of time so probably you can get a more nuanced opinion there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

my favorite tales opening is graces because i love awful sappy songs

unironically

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

my favorite tales opening is graces because i love awful sappy songs

unironically

badass

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I only played for like five minutes, but I really appreciated the depth of character clothing choices and possible backgrounds and while the dialogue had a few typos the gameplay itself also seemed really fun. I can report back once I know more! corn in the bible played it for some long period of time so probably you can get a more nuanced opinion there.

For what its worth I really like Bastard Bonds even if the game is a bit unwieldly. It hits all the notes I want in a tactical game, and the spritework/monster designs are phenomenal.

It does get a little samey after a while, its probably a little too long for what it is, but its definitely worth looking at if you like turn based tactics games.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Best Tales OP is Reve Unitia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6QZeyE3wEk

Also while we're talking about awesome openings, I really like the Utawarerumono 2 openings (because Suara is awesome and she is basically the dedicated singer for the whole series) and can't wait for them to be out in English on PS4 at some point. Maybe if I pray real hard they'll also port them to PC so I can put off buying a PS4 even longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B2QkTOgk_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISE3tr_bWFU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
so much backtracking in surlent's scenario in treasure of the rudras jesus

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Renoistic posted:

I've always enjoyed watching Jude punch fish. And the song is 90's anime in a good way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmiFP13mAI4
I believe both Xillia OPs were sung by a fairly famous 90s JPOP artist so you're probably exactly right.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the milla version of the xillia op is my favorite for the part where jude and milla are fighting gaius and gaius just casually smacks jude offscreen, never to be seen again

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

voidspire is pretty cool but it keeps crashing on me and even though the dev did their best to sift through my save data, they couldn't pinpoint any bugs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
More yoko taro http://www.siliconera.com/2017/02/21/nier-automata-developers-butts-funny-bugs-hoping-games-get-delayed/

Pc release apoarently march 10th

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That doesn't say anything new about the PC release date

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The march 10th came from the nier thread.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

This trailer has the new release date right at the end. I'm glad its only a slight delay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e41x8VPQVMw

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I still can't believe they're going to hit 60 fps on the regular PS4.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rascyc posted:

I still can't believe they're going to hit 60 fps on the regular PS4.

How come? Platinum has always aimed for 60fps for their action games even if it becomes uneven in certain places.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
My last Platinum game was Bayonetta so it's been ages. Just not very many 60 fps games on the baseline PS4 that aren't remakes or FPS games. The only one I can even remember that stands out was the latest Metal Gear game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ni oh is basically 60 fps.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

60fps is a choice not something that is unachievable, a lot of developers choose graphics over frame rate is all.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Relin posted:

so much backtracking in surlent's scenario in treasure of the rudras jesus

he is a huge moron

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sakurazuka posted:

60fps is a choice not something that is unachievable, a lot of developers choose graphics over frame rate is all.
They choose something, but it is not graphics.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Does Super Mario RPG have any major/weird hidden poo poo that I'll regret missing (and that means hidden in some way that isn't just "talk to everyone and go everywhere" because I already do that)? I wouldn't think so but it is a Square RPG from the 90s so you can never really be too sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Does Super Mario RPG have any major/weird hidden poo poo that I'll regret missing (and that means hidden in some way that isn't just "talk to everyone and go everywhere" because I already do that)? I wouldn't think so but it is a Square RPG from the 90s so you can never really be too sure.

It has a whoooole bunch of secrets, yes. Some are really worthwhile while others are ignorable but esoteric.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ahh yes I remember the endless hours I spent trying to get 100 jumps in Super Mario RPG. Fun times.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Super Mario RPG is why I believed all those requirements to revive Aeris because SMRPG had already hidden poo poo better than any of the absurd Aeris poo poo I'd hear at school.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I hope you haven't gone to the castle in the Mushroom Kingdom because otherwise you already missed something and you won't know about it until you're spitting distance from the endgame! :suicide:

(it's just a stupid hidden coin block and if you get them all a npc will go "oh you got them all good job" and that's it)

The key thing to not miss important stuff is to not sell one of a kind items. For example the ultimate weapon and armor are behind using an item you find after a certain boss and can sell and miss permanently. I wouldn't worry too much about it though, the game isn't that hard and the most you'll miss is cameos, a dumb minigame or two, and some gear/items. iirc you can't be locked out of the biggest secret of the game at least.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh. Welp, I guess it's time for the ol' nose-in-guide routine. Hopefully there's one that only lists optional content, like the absolutely mandatory sidequest guides that people made for the Tales games when they were stuck in the era of "hopefully you try backtracking to every point of the game after every single plot event".

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mario RPG has a lot of secrets, but it doesn't have a lot of things that are missable. Just check before selling anything you can't buy. The only thing you can miss that counts for anything (for generous values of "anything") is the invisible block in the front room of the castle in Mushroom Kingdom, and the only thing you can be locked out of is equipment, which in turn requires specifically selling or discarding unique items.

There are a couple of optional cutscenes that have a limited window for seeing them, but they're easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

You'd have more fun if you just played it and didn't worry.