Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.

Look Around You posted:

Oh gently caress OFF. Like byflugen didn't board the poo poo out of Schultz and ACTUALLY hurt him or like another one of your players didn't elbow the gently caress out of one of our guys in the SAME loving GAME.

That elbow came from Trouba lol

Juvi fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Captain Internet posted:

Exactly! Which is why it is Dubnyk's trophy to lose.

I mean, my takeaway is that Lehtonen is potentially a halfway decent goalie 80% of the time, he's just saddled with what might be bottom-3 defense league wide. I don't know how to reconcile the fact he regularly flubs routine saves.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

What the hell is fenwick save percentage?

([sv% - (pk shot attempts / ev shot attempts)] - [shots + (missed shots / blocked shots)^2]) * 100

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Zodijackylite posted:

It's tough to see him get hurt and never get his game back 100%. He seemed like a really good team/room guy from what the Leafs said about him last year, he was always a pretty good PKer, and he even seemed to handle his diminished role pretty well. Seems like he did all the right things to transition to the "beloved veteran" role. I wonder if an injury-riddled team like Ottawa might pick him up to have a guy who plays few minute and PKs but handles the role well, and won't be salty when he ends up a healthy scratch later. Unfortunately, you know Ottawa's too cheap to do that even if they have the cap space.

He was the one who would organize the warm-up shoot-around and collected the pucks afterward, sure sign of a good guy!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gio posted:

([sv% - (pk shot attempts / ev shot attempts)] - [shots + (missed shots / blocked shots)^2]) * 100

Oh, makes sense.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
The corsisupplied 5v5 evenstrength fenwickicky saves above replacement score says Kari Lehtonen is the 2nd best goalie in the league. Surely, I have been wrong all these years and this is not a hosed up stat.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Fenwick sv% just includes missed shots (but not blocked) as part of sv%. I'd assume those numbers are also at ES but maybe not.

Worth noting that the only labelled axis is FSv% but the chart is labelled as that and expected goals saved. I'm assuming Lehtonen's red circle is a bad thing and means he lets in more goals than expected but has a good FSv%, basically meaning that the Stars give up a ton of missed shots but the ones on net go in more often than they should. So Lehtonen is overworked but also bad.

If that seems like a stupid way to organize the data and misleading/dumb welcome to most charts posted on Twitter.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://youtu.be/IRsPheErBj8

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Some people think working in data viz is cool :saddowns:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:lol: if you have trouble with that math

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

both axes are using above expected metrics so it's a really stupid way of comparing goalies to themselves and then lining them up against the rest of the league. so congrats to holtby and the caps for being better than himself than the rest of the league

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so with the news that the Lakers are about to get ruined by Magic Johnson for the indeterminate future, I was thinking about former franchise greats who came back to drive their franchise down down down. the obvious one is Linden in Vancouver, I'd say Neely in Boston is on his way, and that's about it for current ones. who else has done this?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every current Red Wings player in Detroit.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

so with the news that the Lakers are about to get ruined by Magic Johnson for the indeterminate future, I was thinking about former franchise greats who came back to drive their franchise down down down. the obvious one is Linden in Vancouver, I'd say Neely in Boston is on his way, and that's about it for current ones. who else has done this?

gretzky and roy

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

hifi posted:

gretzky and roy

i think sakic is a better choice than roy

e: and of course, oates & washington. and hopefully soon, oates & boston

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

and soon, Milbury & Boston

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually teams with good coaches, like the undefeated Bruce Cassidy, don't need to hire new coaches.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i think sakic is a better choice than roy

e: and of course, oates & washington. and hopefully soon, oates & boston

What does hall think about that though?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Actually teams with good coaches, like the undefeated Bruce Cassidy, don't need to hire new coaches.

he needs an opportunity to flesh out his coaching staff fresh, starting with goaltending and defensive coach oates and forwards and powerplay coach milbury

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

Kevin Lowe + the other 20 Glory Day Oilers collecting cheques

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Aye Doc posted:

Can Sakic be blamed for the tire fire in Colorado?

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Aye Doc posted:

I don't think you can count Boston in there, didn't they win a cup and have had several good years under him?

Also, every ex-Habs player who have come back to the team.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

CDX posted:

Also, every ex-Habs player who have come back to the team.

Serge Savard was a good GM.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Suspicious posted:

Serge Savard was a good GM.

Rejean houle and Tremblay on the other hand...

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

stab posted:

Rejean houle and Tremblay on the other hand...

And Bob Gainey.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Dale Hunter AND Adam Oates.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

glynnenstein posted:

Dale Hunter AND Adam Oates.

Bad bad bad bad!

loving bad. loving bad!

loving. Bad.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Ken Holland's professional hockey career lasted 4 games, 3 of which were with The Detroit Red Wings Professional Hockey Club Of The National Hockey League

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Isn't Olaf Kolzig doing stuff (or has done stuff) in the background for the Caps? He's always been cool and chill.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Pancakes by Mail posted:

And Bob Gainey.

He did draft Subban and Price though

Gomez

:smith:

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

stab posted:

He did draft Subban and Price though

Gomez

:smith:

Patches then too

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's amazing how eloquent Julien sounds compared to Therrien, in both English and French.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I missed the second game .. I'm 0-2 for watching Julien games for personal reasons, but a vendor is trying to butter me up getting me to buy his poo poo so I might be getting an invite to their box at ACC for the game vs Leafs on Saturday.

How did they look today?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

Isn't Olaf Kolzig doing stuff (or has done stuff) in the background for the Caps? He's always been cool and chill.

Olie's a development coach, and two other... uh... franchise greats Matt Bradley and Brian Sutherby are scouts.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

CDX posted:

I don't think you can count Boston in there, didn't they win a cup and have had several good years under him?

Hard to say. He didnt become president until 2010. He was in a management role starting in 2007 but who knows what his contribution was towards building that cup roster. Probably minimal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Can Sakic be blamed for the tire fire in Colorado?

Oh hell yes.

I for one am shocked that the ability to play a professional sport at a high level. doesn't translate into the ability to manage a professional sports franchise. It's well know that the best programmers make the best project managers.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Martytoof posted:

I missed the second game .. I'm 0-2 for watching Julien games for personal reasons, but a vendor is trying to butter me up getting me to buy his poo poo so I might be getting an invite to their box at ACC for the game vs Leafs on Saturday.

How did they look today?

Pretty good. Aggressive on the PK, had some good o-zone possession. A few ugly defensive lapses (gave up two beautiful breakaways) but I was pretty happy overall. Fancystats were pretty strong too, something like 55% score adjusted Corsi

e: It was a rare "Price was amazing but that wasn't the sole reason they won" game

Pancakes by Mail fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 22, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Ken Holland's professional hockey career lasted 4 games, 3 of which were with The Detroit Red Wings Professional Hockey Club Of The National Hockey League

Absolutely counts

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Koopa Kid posted:

Marner was due back tonight, but instead the Leafs put him on IR and have recalled Frederick Gauthier. Which is Extremely Bad, congrats on the win tonight Jets fans.

So this didn't quite play out this way but it's still bad

Martytoof posted:

How did they look today?

Like a team full of talented teenagers that don't know how to play defense, so basically like every other game

FakeEdit: oh you meant the Habs

Didn't Wendell Clark have some role with the leafs org for a while?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Lots of teams just hire former stars for cushy jobs so they can pal around with corporate sponsors, attend celebrity golf games with team branded equipment and maybe offer guidance to the rookies.

• Locked thread