Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

What's wrong Schmetterling? You're a week and a half early :v:

I'm trying this new thing where I paint on more than one day in a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

:ducksiren: September Judgement!!!! In February!!!! :ducksiren:

Who for three judgements in a row, continuously has two thumbs and is the most tardy judge ever? This guy!

Third Place (1 Point) – Arson Fire I’m really feeling some not-backing-this-Kickstarter regret after seeing what you’ve done with these models. I love that you went with subtle, pale colors. The greens, bones, and purplish hues blend together into one nauseating though hauntingly beautiful mess. Very tastefully done!

Second Place (2 Points) – SRM I’m really loving these scouts. Each one seems an individual (be it through weapons, skin tone, or details), yet they all fit together perfectly as a squad. You can really imagine the banter that must go on as they’re trudging through the jungle to their extraction point. While models go a long way toward creating such a narrative, a good paintjob is what really brings it alive. You’ve also carried it through to the basing – plenty of variety, but enough cohesion across models so that they still feel like a squad. A squad of individuals, but a squad. Plus, who can ever say no to hazard stripes on a chainsword?

First Place (3 Points) – Signal Infinity models are such unforgiving things to work with. All of that fine detail makes it too hard to highlight and shade, unless you’re just putting a wash over everything. Not so with what Signal’s done here. The highlights are thoughtfully applied, and makes all of that classic Covus Belli detail just sing. The clear bases were a wonderful touch. The freehand tartan is likewise great. Nice work!

Bonus Point (1 Point) – TheFinalTuba What the hell? Was this paint Infinity models with kilts really well month, or what? I love your skin tones and, most of all, your eyebrows. It might sound silly, but most folks neglect the eyebrows and yours are spot-on.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Germ posted:

Bonus Point (1 Point) – Ugleb I love the bright, clean paintjob, the crisp lettering, and the fact that the godsdamned thing is an MDF ambulance. This is a solid piece of work!

Cheers! Unexpected points are always nice. :)

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Germ posted:

First Place (3 Points) – Signal

Thanks Germ! I had a lot of fun painting these guys, so I'm glad people liked them.

Also, the William Wallace I painted was for TheFinalTuba's army, so it literally was tartan month XD

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Germ posted:

Second Place (2 Points) – SRM

Thank you! These guys were a lot of fun to paint, and I was excited to work in a different color scheme that I hadn't really tested before.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Dr. Phildo posted:

Dr. Phildo oaths these nine stormtroopers from fantasy flight's Imperial Assault

Hope the photo is not too old, I forgot to upload it yesterday :$

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath for the month of February, a Wyrd Games Banasuva

Takuan posted:

I thought I posted this 2 weeks ago, but didn't, so I don't know if it's still valid.
I, Takuan, Oath to paint for the month of February Tiviel, Hellborn Rogue; Mangu Timur; Erin of the Flame; by Reaper Miniatures

Approved! Re photo dates, I think it should be OK so long as the photo is dated for the current month and shows the minis bare/primed.

Remember to double check the gallery folks, I'll give it til the end of next week before turning them over to the judges. All the galleries so far are here - https://saoathgalleries.imgur.com/

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Oath Addition!

Alfred Pennyworth for Batman Miniatures Game, 32mm by Knight Models.

Ugleb posted:

I Ugleb hereby oath for the month of January:

A Cluster pack for Dropfleet Commander by Hawk Wargames in ridonculos scale.

Batman (Batfleck version) for Batman Miniatures Game by Knight Models, 35mm scale.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 19, 2017

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Oath Addition!
Scourge Battleship (with magnetised weapons), 3 PHR Cruisers and 4 PHR Frigates for Dropfleet Commander

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath for the month of February the Mighty Thor! (32mm0ish, Knight Models)

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Additional oath! A Sophotect.
Corvus Belli

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Double post but I'm keeping my oath post above clean.

Thanks judges for the Mountain King love!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

OATH COMPLETE!

Not thrilled about the snake but there wasn't a lot to work with there.

head58 posted:

I, head58, oath this Guild Ball (Steamforged Games) stuff for February:

-Mother -40mm base mechanical spider thing
-3 30mm "nest markers" covered in adorable baby mechanical spiders
-Naja, 30mm non-mechanical snake

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Germ posted:

First Place (3 Points) – Moths

Thanks! I worked really hard on them!

For February, I moths oath these nine 15mm Polish cavalry guys from Wargamer:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OATH COMPLETE

Claiming the Jurnal for the teenage mutant ninja turtles reference

Are there any points relating to scratchbuilding and kitbashing up for grabs because if so I'll claim them too...

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Ugleb posted:

Oath Addition!

Alfred Pennyworth for Batman Miniatures Game, 32mm by Knight Models.

LazyAngel posted:

Oath Addition!
Scourge Battleship (with magnetised weapons), 3 PHR Cruisers and 4 PHR Frigates for Dropfleet Commander

Red Shoe posted:

Additional oath! A Sophotect.
Corvus Belli

moths posted:

Thanks! I worked really hard on them!

For February, I moths oath these nine 15mm Polish cavalry guys from Wargamer:

Approved!

thespaceinvader posted:

OATH COMPLETE

Claiming the Jurnal for the teenage mutant ninja turtles reference

Are there any points relating to scratchbuilding and kitbashing up for grabs because if so I'll claim them too...

There's 1 point up for grabs next month as it's the technical challenge for March :)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Weeeeeelll next month ain't gonna work for this one ;)

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
OATH COMPLETED!

Gooch181 posted:

I, Gooch181, oath to paint 5 Space Marine Scouts. 28mm by Games Workshop (Warhammer 40K)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Oath Addition!
Tethru Hero (Includes: Baboon Servant!) by Crocodile Games, 28mm.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Want to have this finished by a con I'm demoing for the first weekend in march. So help me god, I want to have this to display when running demos.

OATH ADDITION

Mammoth, Privateer Press

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I, JerryLee, oath to paint yet another Frostgrave Gnoll

This is by North Star Figures for Frostgrave, which is made by Osprey Games

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Complete!

Reaper IMEF squad. Will likely be using 4 or 5 of these guys as a Rogue Stars team. Very quick and dirty paint scheme as I'm experimenting with just doing base + wash for a potential IG army.

Heresy Miniatures characters. Another potential Rogue Stars team if I add a couple more figs.

Reaper Hydra, colours roughly based on a Red-headed Krait. Apparently Kraits are super-dangerous due to their highly lethal venom, which is appropriate for a deadly beast.

Jurnal is the Heresy figs which should have fairly obvious inspiration, plus the IMEF guys who are essentially the COGs from Gears of War (minus chainsaw bayonets).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

Oath Addition!
Tethru Hero (Includes: Baboon Servant!) by Crocodile Games, 28mm.

chutche2 posted:

Want to have this finished by a con I'm demoing for the first weekend in march. So help me god, I want to have this to display when running demos.

OATH ADDITION

Mammoth, Privateer Press

JerryLee posted:

I, JerryLee, oath to paint yet another Frostgrave Gnoll

This is by North Star Figures for Frostgrave, which is made by Osprey Games

Approved!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I, grassy gnoll, oath Margot and Duroc (28mm, Corvus Belli) and these 3D printed scenery elements for February.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I, Floppychop, oath to paint one Skaven Warlord and one Skaven Warpfire Thrower. Both by Games Workshop

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath addition!
3 "Alien creatures" and one sc-fi marine. 10mm from Pendraken.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

:orks101: November Judgement :orks101:

Third Place (1 Point): Electric Hobo - I've always really liked this model and this is a paint job and basing that really works for it. The paint job is clean and simple but really brings out the depth in the stones. The vines really help show that it's unmoving. A real nice piece.

Second Place (2 Points): Ugleb - I don't understand how all of you paint these tiny ships. Paint is clean and smooth especially the blue stripes which must have been a huge pain. The bronze and gray are a nice contrast to the white and blue.

First Place (3 Points): Flipswitch - More tiny ships! The depth on this ship is very impressive. Each panel looks like its own piece. The colors are consistent over the entire model. All of the details are picked out super well.

Bonus Point (1 Point): Ashcans -
Love these guys. This is a really fun scene that tells a story.

Cat Face Joe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 22, 2017

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Cat Face Joe posted:

Second Place (2 Points): Ugleb - I don't understand how all of you paint these tiny ships. Paint is clean and smooth especially the blue stripes which must have been a huge pain. The bronze and gray are a nice contrast to the white and blue.

I got a second place? :stare:

Thanks! I am happy with how the colour scheme is working out, although the hull markings are time consuming. I am cutting up tiny pieces of line tape to mask things out and keep my line thicknesses uniform.

Problem is I do have to touch up a lot where paint can run under the tape and I can end up with noticeably thicker coats if I'm not careful. Nice to hear it looks ok anyway though!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
:agesilaus:OATH COMPLETE:agesilaus:
I painted up Roboute Guilliman! The marble on the base was a nightmare, but the model itself was really fun to paint! I also got to mess around with the 'Eavy Metal painting guide for painting faces from October's White Dwarf, which I followed to get the face. I'm really proud of that part, even if I don't love the cape.

I also magnetized the base so I could stick him on a 40mm base:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Can I oath models still in the box? If not I'll assemble them and reoath.

I, Geisladisk, do solemnly swear in the presence of Goons to assemble and paint a platoon of despicable Nazi paratroopers (Lieutenant, 3x Sergeants, 6x Machinegunners, 6x Machinegunner assistants, 15 Riflemen (31 models in total, Warlord Games, 28mm)

Conceding failure on my Oath. :(

Going out of town until the end of the month, managed to finish 20 out of 31 guys. Still a valiant effort, imo.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

SRM posted:

I painted up Roboute Guilliman! The marble on the base was a nightmare, but the model itself was really fun to paint! I also got to mess around with the 'Eavy Metal painting guide for painting faces from October's White Dwarf, which I followed to get the face. I'm really proud of that part, even if I don't love the cape.

Congratulations on your upcoming judges points! Very nice work.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

OATH COMPLETE!

Marine turned out a bit bland, but overall happy with them. Turns out the real challenge of the oaths is not painting, its taking pictures once they are done.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

OATH COMPLETE!

Marine turned out a bit bland, but overall happy with them. Turns out the real challenge of the oaths is not painting, its taking pictures once they are done.

I like those Bloodbowl duders, but I think the only thing really missing for the Marine are some transfers and iconography. A tactical arrow on one shoulder, a Fist icon on the other, and maybe something like a lightning bolt on his knee and he'll be interesting. The old "I love my bolter" Marines are great canvases for stuff like that since they're such simple minis.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Gonna do an Oath Addition of two Scourge light dropships by Hawk Wargames (10mm, resin).

Going for speed painting as well, so see you in 24 hours or less.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

SRM posted:

*Dumps Oath in garbage*

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

I, grassy gnoll, oath Margot and Duroc (28mm, Corvus Belli) and these 3D printed scenery elements for February.

Floppychop posted:

I, Floppychop, oath to paint one Skaven Warlord and one Skaven Warpfire Thrower. Both by Games Workshop

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath addition!
3 "Alien creatures" and one sc-fi marine. 10mm from Pendraken.

wdarkk posted:

Gonna do an Oath Addition of two Scourge light dropships by Hawk Wargames (10mm, resin).

Going for speed painting as well, so see you in 24 hours or less.

Approved!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Sorry SRM, what I meant to say was that he looks like a high school photo.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

I did some OSL around the flaming mane of the model for the challenge.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Give the marine a black base rim. The cool gray blends with him and the brightness drags the focus away from the model. With a black rim, the grey rocks will act more as a frame than a subject, and the marine will pop more.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath addition!
Scum for Guild Ball by Steamforged Games.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete!

Aliens for the theme challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath addition!
Scum for Guild Ball by Steamforged Games.

Approved!

• Locked thread