Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

ArcaneMan posted:

Sorry if this has been answered recently, but is there a consensus on the best usb C hub with HDMI for the new pros?

Nobody's mentioned a stable, nonbuggy USB-c hub that could be described as thread supported. Closest might be the Anker hubs but even those have their quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphetama
Aug 16, 2008

Third Eye Vision
I think possible winners for USB-C hubs might juuuust be over the horizon.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hyperdrive-thunderbolt-3-usb-c-hub-for-macbook-pro#/ - HyperDrive

https://www.bourgedesign.com/ - Arc Hub

The HyperDrive actually started shipping to Kickstarter backers last week - so I'm thinking about checking it out once reviews hit and availability is better.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Good USB-C hubs are always 6-12 months out, just like Thunderbolt hubs were

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm using some form of Hyperdrive dongle on my desk and its great. HDMI, pass through USB-C charging, and a few USB3 type A ports. Works 4 me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get the best USB 3 hub you can find that uses a detachable cable, then buy a USB‐C cable for it instead.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
So my coworker needs to have her battery replaced in her '10 Macbook Pro 13" screen. The job looks fairly easy enough, however I am not sure what battery to get as I do not want to get her a Chinese knockoff that is filled with propaganda and will explode when turned on. Any suggestions?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anker are a great brand.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've always wondered why Apple hasn't come up with some kind of first party docking solution (a la Henge Docks) for the Macbook Pro. Seems like they're missing a trick.

Though maybe it'd discourage people from buying laptops more often.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Entropy238 posted:

I've always wondered why Apple hasn't come up with some kind of first party docking solution (a la Henge Docks) for the Macbook Pro. Seems like they're missing a trick.

They made one - the Cinema Display

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

8ender posted:

I'm using some form of Hyperdrive dongle on my desk and its great. HDMI, pass through USB-C charging, and a few USB3 type A ports. Works 4 me

I have a Minix Gold USB-C hub also with pass-through, but it has the following quirks:

- some USB keys crash the hub (yes, crash as in it no longer works) and a disconnect / reconnect is required
- some USB devices require a power adapter to be plugged in or same as above happens
- the hub itself consumes power, so a 29W Apple USB-C adapter effectively only supplies 20-24W for charging, definitely slows down charge
(This is supposedly a flaw with many USB-C hubs)
- needs a generic driver installed for Ethernet support, also for some stupid reason the Ethernet also needs power to the hub
- the hardwired hub to USB type C cable is a little too short, it can be accidentally disconnected easily
- heats up after long, continuous data transfers

It's a tossup as to whether most the problems are internal to the hub or with the OS X USB stack, it's known that the USB stack in El Capitan is way hosed with certain types of hubs.
Sierra is somewhat better, but Gen 2 support is nonexistent.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 21, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

I agree they should build a decent, tested hub - even if it's $249 or something. gently caress you ports, use USB-C, if you really want here's a dock that works instead of waiting for years for one that ends up being poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I get the feeling if Apple did make their own hub they'd fall down the tech support hole trying to support every last old USB device and learn how truly horrible their USB stack is stability wise.

"Hey my USB pacemaker doesn't sync with my controller app anym- NYARRRGHHAAUUGH*gurgle**ack*oop*......... ....."

"Mr. Wilson? Mr. Wilson? Hello?"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

I get the feeling if Apple did make their own hub they'd fall down the tech support hole trying to support every last old USB device and learn how truly horrible their USB stack is stability wise.
simple, just make it work with Apple poo poo.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bob Morales posted:

simple, just make it work with Apple poo poo.

And lock out your competitors like with the Ethernet to USB dongle.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i hope they don't kill the mac mini range, i kinda wanna buy one to play with as a trouble free server sometime in the future

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's dead.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

And lock out your competitors like with the Ethernet to USB dongle.

What's this? Is this a new thing or something?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i hope they don't kill the mac mini range, i kinda wanna buy one to play with as a trouble free server sometime in the future

All mac desktops are dead

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Just buy an iPad pro. It's basically the same as an iMac.

:downs:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Worst thing about the iPad "pro" is ios.
Seeing the exact same UI as the other iOS devices slapped into a 12" screen is laughable.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just buy an iPad pro. It's basically the same as an iMac.

:downs:

I never even knew I wanted a 27" iPad Pro until just now.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm trying to help my friend with purchasing a new hard drive for his 2014 11,1 MacBook Pro. I'm not a Mac user but I'm fine working on computers. My friend is completely inept.

Literally all he does is save PDF files to this machine and he's filled the stock drive.

Considering this, what should I be looking for? Most sites recommend pretty pricey options and I don't know if he'd benefit from a nice drive based on his use.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Worst thing about the iPad "pro" is ios.
Seeing the exact same UI as the other iOS devices slapped into a 12" screen is laughable.

Word

Apple could probably talk me around to a tablet as a pc if it had a proper OS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

me your dad posted:

I'm trying to help my friend with purchasing a new hard drive for his 2014 11,1 MacBook Pro. I'm not a Mac user but I'm fine working on computers. My friend is completely inept.

Literally all he does is save PDF files to this machine and he's filled the stock drive.

Considering this, what should I be looking for? Most sites recommend pretty pricey options and I don't know if he'd benefit from a nice drive based on his use.

Apple used an unusual form factor that only a few manufacturers made drives for. OWC and Transcend are the ones I know of.

That’s why you’re having trouble finding cheap options.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

flosofl posted:

What's this? Is this a new thing or something?

I think it's. even going on forever, but my sample size is only one device and one dongle.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Apple used an unusual form factor that only a few manufacturers made drives for. OWC and Transcend are the ones I know of.

That’s why you’re having trouble finding cheap options.

Look closer, Transcend's Jet Drives only support up to Early 2013 rMBP models.

I wouldn't trust OWC's SSDs even in external enclosures. Kludgey loving garbage.

Here's something that is compatible with 2014 rMBPs, still costs a mint but I'd trust it more than OWC.

http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=MTOS&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=512GBPCIESSD-L13M14

me your dad said he had an 11,1 so it's a 13-inch rMBP.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

me your dad posted:

Are you looking for a new drive because his has failed or just because it's full of PDFs? If it's just a capacity thing could he benefit from iCloud / GDrive / Dropbox storage?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Remember how the owner of OWC made a post about how TRIM is bad for SSDs?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

me your dad posted:

i recommend just buying and teaching him how to access an external drive, unless you really want this pain

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I never even knew I wanted a 27" iPad Pro until just now.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember how the owner of OWC made a post about how TRIM is bad for SSDs?

http://hardware.itbusinessnet.com/article/Trim-Talk-4034718

Well, ya know, even though Apple implements TRIM on their drives, and that it's an industry loving standard...

Towards the end of the article he does pretty much say TRIM is 'weak.'

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

sonatinas posted:

All mac desktops are dead

I got an iMac 5k in November and was nervous because of the refresh that never happened. I love this computer and hope someday they upgrade it so I can eventually buy that one. All hail desktop with the best screen supremacy.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LionArcher posted:

I got an iMac 5k in November and was nervous because of the refresh that never happened. I love this computer and hope someday they upgrade it so I can eventually buy that one. All hail desktop with the best screen supremacy.

You could've gotten a Mac Pro and never be nervous again in your life.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i recommend just buying and teaching him how to access an external drive, unless you really want this pain

TACD posted:

Are you looking for a new drive because his has failed or just because it's full of PDFs? If it's just a capacity thing could he benefit from iCloud / GDrive / Dropbox storage?

Both of these solutions seem ideal. I originally recommended to him the external drive but I forgot about that. Apologies for the naivety, but is there a certain type of external drive he would need for a Mac? I really don't know poo poo about Macs but he'd do fine with a terrabyte external drive.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

You could've gotten a Mac Pro and never be nervous again in your life.

Lol. 5k screen as a publisher and a powerhouse photoshop artist machine is good enough

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

Both of these solutions seem ideal. I originally recommended to him the external drive but I forgot about that. Apologies for the naivety, but is there a certain type of external drive he would need for a Mac? I really don't know poo poo about Macs but he'd do fine with a terrabyte external drive.

Just make sure it's formatted for Mac and not NTFS.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Just make sure it's formatted for Mac and not NTFS.

Even if the one you buy is formatted NTFS just reformat it. Don't splash out extra for something just because it has a "mac compatible' label on it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Cool - thank you both.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
I posted in the regular laptop thread a while back but the more I think about this the more I just want a 13" mbp.

I need a new computer to do one thing and one thing only: Play Civ 6.

- Can I get confirmation that a machine with Intel Iris Graphics 6100 for a video card will do this? (or do I need an Iris Pro?)
- Is there any hope of getting deals on the latest models like this? If so how do I do that? Bought my 13" air used on craigslist so I've never done the mac thing retail.

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Latest model in the 13" is the Iris 540. It will probably be playable at the lowest settings.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 25, 2017