Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

You already have endlessly respawning clone guards. I don't see how a few random generic pedestrians would be any different. It would make the towns feel a bit more populated at least.

In Morrowind it made sense that most places you went were tiny and only had a few people in them because you were basically in the rear end end of the empire on a backwater island that is largely volcanic wasteland. When you're in the political, cultural, and economic center of the world a city being like 30 guys doesn't fly.

That being said one thing Oblivion really had going for it was how it handled the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. Murdering someone to take their cool looking shirt, or for something equally minor, and then having Lucien show up and recruit you was a lot cooler than doing a quest to kill some lady. Likewise the Thieves Guild trying to recruit you if you did time for stealing and being like "Hey you seem like you're very passionate about stealing but not very good, why don't you join up and we'll help you be less bad." vs pickpocketing a specific dude.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
With the caveat that I have two days of TESO playing right now so this is just an initial impression:

The actual gameplay is a bit like Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 had a baby. It appears to be more on rails than either game, though, and the world isn't as open. It's big, but it comes in discrete chunks that make the whole thing feel smaller.

I don't regret putting down money on TESO, though, and I expect to have some fun with it for awhile.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Does TES online have player housing?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GreatGreen posted:

The most tes fan question

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

The most tes fan question

TES isn't TES without ridiculous player housing filled with all kinds of ridiculous crap.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

TES isn't TES without ridiculous player housing filled with all kinds of ridiculous crap.

Every time I reinstall and play Morrowind for some inexplicable reason whenever I get my player house chosen I go through the world and steal every last pillow I can find and toss them all in a particular bedroom. Hundreds of them. Just piled up so much around the bed you can't even see it anymore.

Oblivion didn't have pillows so instead I piled a poo poo load of random booze, empty bottles, and clothes around a bed to make it look like some crazy orgy happened there. It isn't nearly as satisfying as having literally all of the pillows.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Every time I reinstall and play Morrowind for some inexplicable reason whenever I get my player house chosen I go through the world and steal every last pillow I can find and toss them all in a particular bedroom. Hundreds of them. Just piled up so much around the bed you can't even see it anymore.

Oblivion didn't have pillows so instead I piled a poo poo load of random booze, empty bottles, and clothes around a bed to make it look like some crazy orgy happened there. It isn't nearly as satisfying as having literally all of the pillows.

Someone post the pictures of pillowdome over balmora. I lost my copies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Many years ago I turned my fancy Hlaalu estate into a dank skooma den by placing a shitload of pillows on the floor and putting pipes, moon sugar, and skooma between them. I also stole every red lantern I could find for mood lighting.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

GreatGreen posted:

To actually answer the question, yes, it was just added in the last patch about two weeks ago.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

cis autodrag posted:

Someone post the pictures of pillowdome over balmora. I lost my copies.

This?

I was hoping for a dome over the entire city.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
In honor of my mentor Caius Cassades, I always make my character a skooma addict who takes all skooma and moon sugar as soon as I get it in my inventory.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
can't get caught selling moonsugar if you do all your moonsugar

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Doc Hawkins posted:

This?

I was hoping for a dome over the entire city.

No, the one I saw was indeed a dome encapsulating the city whole. It was literally 10+ years ago though so maybe those pictures are just gone forever.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
There's a very unfortunate tendency to ascribe all TES lore to Michael Kirkbride.

That's not true.
There was a sort of golden lore triangle with Battlespire/Reguard/Morrowind by the team that had been assembled after Daggerfall was released. It was only afterwards that the dev team dissolved. Even the Pocket Guide (1st edition) was a collaborative effort., MK supplied the art, though.

If anything else, you should at least acknowledge Ted "Sheogorath" Peterson, who wrote Dance in Fire (which gave us cannibal Bosmer) and The Argonian Account (which gave us weird Black Marsh), and Douglas Goodall, who invented Ta'agra and much of the (now retconned via ESO) Khajiit lore.
In any case, the once-forbidden (threatened DMCA notice by MK against TIL) Douglas Goodall interview should show some insights on why Morrowind was as singular as it was.

Read the interview? Okay.

In a way, there were two development paths after Morrowind - the Ken Rolston way, which gave us Oblivion. It was painfully generic, bought into the the-current LotR craze, and didn't really understand the lore it was referencing. But it was an actual game, it was released. And its success created modern Bethesda.
Ever wondered why Mankar Camoran gets the Daedric Realms wrong? It was copied verbatim from a phone interview with MK, who didn't recall all the princes and realms off-hand. Nobody fact-checked. Rolston's TES didn't really know what it was doing.

On the other hand, you have the Mike Kirkbride way - which is good for /r/teslore posts, but not much else. Inspired and cool? Sure, but its big project Tatterdamelion wasn't finished, neither was the (imo terrible) 2nd edition Pocket Guide to the Empire. c0da is an unfinished mess, a webcomic without panels, proclaiming that an IP which he has no rights to is now open source. "Do as thou wilt" without justification.

The big Morrowind province mods are their own thing - at Tamriel Rebuilt and Project Tamriel, we wrote our own take on "lore" and the future TES games sort of passed us by. Province Cyrodiil will have a jungle even it if kills us and our Dark Brotherhood will have none of that Sithis nonsense!

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 23, 2017

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

One thing I did kinda like from Oblivion was how it showed your rank in factions with a little icon and stuff.

I think if they ever make another single player TES game (they won't. once you get the MMO, the series usually dies) they should do more to tie your rank in factions together so you can become emperor of the universe once you max them all out and unlock final rewards

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Atrayonis posted:

. c0da is an unfinished mess, a webcomic without panels, proclaiming that an IP which he has no rights to is now open source. "Do as thou wilt" without justification.

The justification is that he's right, Canon is for idiots and people who buy into the belief that corporate/copyright rights trump creator's

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Atrayonis posted:

The big Morrowind province mods are their own thing - at Tamriel Rebuilt and Project Tamriel, we wrote our own take on "lore" and the future TES games sort of passed us by.

:stare::love: You...you people really get it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

One thing I did kinda like from Oblivion was how it showed your rank in factions with a little icon and stuff.

I think if they ever make another single player TES game (they won't. once you get the MMO, the series usually dies) they should do more to tie your rank in factions together so you can become emperor of the universe once you max them all out and unlock final rewards

Becoming emperor seems awesome until you realize that being Emperor in TES would mean a short conversation with some NPC and then literally nothing would be different other than you getting an extra bedroom for storage that's got a chest that might spawn like 500 gold a week.

And the NPCs of the world would still treat you like a stranger.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 23, 2017

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The justification is that he's right, Canon is for idiots and people who buy into the belief that corporate/copyright rights trump creator's
MK is not the sole creator of TES lore. He quit Bethesda before Tribunal was released, just to keep that in context. Even when he was employed by Bethesda for Redguard and Morrowind, he was one lore creating dev among others.

First, copyrights really do trump creator rights in the Anglosphere, specifically as soon as contracts are involved. More to the point, the Anglosphere does not have Creator Rights at all - copyright can be signed away with a contract in total.
MK can declare TES lore open source all that he wants, if Bethesda ever felt like cracking down with DMCA notices on wrongbad lore, nobody would have the standing to stop them. It's simply not true, no matter how much wishful thinking is involved.

Second, even if he was capable of announcing his lore to be open source, much of what today's understanding of "MK lore" is are misinterpretations based on the Many-Headed Talos. Both of us do remember the context it was posted in, right?
I've talked to people who are insistent that Oblivion's non-jungle Cyrodiil is a deliberate statement on Bethesda's part to point out the power of CHIM and who wouldn't even acknowledge that Oblivion was created during a LotR craze.
They take continents-as-amaranths as literal truth, and belive the Echmer are canon and established. There is no context, no reflection on who actually wrote which part of lore, and no quantification as soon as you hit the "MK lore" button, it just gets blindly rolled into one big blob of "the good stuff" and accepted.

Atrayonis fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 23, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Since every game takes place mid-Dragon Break, every time someone fails to acknowledge your rank, its because you didn't receive that rank in the past they remember. They really want to give you that quest to kill a few rats because it's their destiny to give it. It's not their fault everything's happening out of order.

A game that made every faction membership/leadership measurably change the game would be amazing, but I'd be happy with a character just acknowledging the oddness of the status quo.

e: a character besides Ma'iq

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 23, 2017

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Atrayonis posted:

First, copyrights really do trump creator rights in the Anglosphere, specifically as soon as contracts are involved. More to the point, the Anglosphere does not have Creator Rights at all - copyright can be signed away with a contract in total.
MK can declare TES lore open source all that he wants, if Bethesda ever felt like cracking down with DMCA notices on wrongbad lore, nobody would have the standing to stop them. It's simply not true, no matter how much wishful thinking is involved.

i'm pretty sure larry is aware that copyright law exists.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm a corporate lawyer so yeah I have a vague idea. It's terrible nonsense that nobody should care about unless they have to and should never, ever be brought into fan discussions of all things.

"Oh no I have to change my opinion about the continuity of this fictional world because of copyright law"

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 23, 2017

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Here's the things to realize about C0DA, and it's mostly in line with what I believe Bethesda feels about the lore: The Truth is What You Make It. Don't buy into all the MK-drug induced writings? That's fine, Bethesda only usually includes winks and nods to them (like the painted cow encounter in Skyrim, or the ghost who calls you Hjalti), and sometimes adopts big ideas (Kalpas).

But if you don't want to believe that Talos, Arctus, and Wulfharth were a single soul divided into three, that's fine too. It's a theory amongst others, and none of them are the definitive, true Truth.

The issue I have with the lore community is inevitably someone asking something like 'who founded the Empire' gets a whole lot of MK-school lore-spergs telling them 'don't listen to these chumps Tiber Septim wasn't Dragonborn, that was the ghost of Wulfharth hanging around'. It's almost like a dickswinging contest to see who has the biggest lore-schlong.

Yeah, that stuff's there and I love the fact that it's there. That doesn't make it true. We don't know and we will probably never know for sure what the truth is because of all the things people bitch about with Todd Howard the man knows that sometimes a question's more interesting if it doesn't have an answer.

I compare it to the Reapers in Mass Effect- in ME1 you can ask an exposition VI 'why do the Reapers do this' and it answers 'I don't loving know, what the gently caress does it matter WHY, all that matters is stopping them?' The Reapers were a more interesting enemy because they felt vast and unknowable. Then when BioWare decided to give the people an answer it was 'oh someone hosed up coding an AI millions of years ago'. A mystery that added to the universe was destroyed with a wet fart of an explanation.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Please, everyone knows that it was Hjalti Early-Beard from High Rock that was Dragonborn, not Tiber Septim.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

kazr posted:

It really shocked me that they set up a way to randomly generate the forests in Oblivion. Sounded really cool, thinking there are gonna be vast forests.. Uh nope. Really how much extra time would it have taken to hand place their raggedy rear end forest instead of leaving a program to do it?

God drat I hate Oblivion.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea about this.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm a corporate lawyer so yeah I have a vague idea. It's terrible nonsense that nobody should care about unless they have to and should never, ever be brought into fan discussions of all things.

"Oh no I have to change my opinion about the continuity of this fictional world because of copyright law"

Can it be? The fabled "Good Lawyer"?!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea about this.

they used speedtree. it was the popular terrain generator of the time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedTree

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Shibawanko posted:

I think if they ever make another single player TES game (they won't. once you get the MMO, the series usually dies)

Honestly I think we'll definitely see more TES sequels. TES:O is making them money, sure, but it didn't revolutionize the genre or anything. TES is a behemoth of an IP, and most people probably think of Bethesda and Bioware first as far as RPG giants go. Just going by google, Skyrim sold over 20m copies, and made them over 60m bucks. Call me a fanboy, but I'm quite optimistic that we'll see TES 6 and 7. After that, who knows.

My primary concern is that the lore for TES:6 is going to be butchered because of all the stupid poo poo that goes on in MMORPGs, and they'll have to find some way to make the universes fit with each other.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Node posted:

My primary concern is that the lore for TES:6 is going to be butchered because of all the stupid poo poo that goes on in MMORPGs, and they'll have to find some way to make the universes fit with each other.

nah, if they have any sense they'll just shout DRAGON BREAK and truck along like the mmo and oblivion never happened.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

cis autodrag posted:

nah, if they have any sense they'll just shout DRAGON BREAK and truck along like the mmo and oblivion never happened.

You know, I'd be just fine with that. What were we talking about?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Node posted:

You know, I'd be just fine with that. What were we talking about?

i don't remember using teleportation, and yet there i was. alone. naked.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Node posted:

ESO is probably closer to the weirdness of the lore than Oblivion and Skyrim were though. Like ESO has bosmer finally depicted as cannibals as they've long been described, Cyrodiilic Colovians riding around on giant wolves, and Orcs maintaining herds of weird wooly bug animals. Speaking of Colovians, there's a lot more talking about the difference between Colovians and Nibenese Imperials than you got in all of Oblivion.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Fair enough.

I guess in the end I'm just salty because all the other devs are forgotten in favor of some version of "MK turned up his sleeve and all the lore fell out" and keep overshooting. It's not even his fault, he's just the one who stuck around longest. :negative:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

There is definitely those people that think everything great with TES lore is because of MK and they're wrong, and definitely those people that think that TES lore is great up until arbitrary point X before Oblivion. I think both mean well in the end.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Atrayonis posted:

Fair enough.

I guess in the end I'm just salty because all the other devs are forgotten in favor of some version of "MK turned up his sleeve and all the lore fell out" and keep overshooting. It's not even his fault, he's just the one who stuck around longest. :negative:
I totally know what you mean yeah. MK is definitely my favourite of the lore writers because his weird mysticism and drug-fuelled Gnostic stuff is 100% my poo poo (this might actually be his fault tbh), so I have a lot of time for him and his fanbase, but it's yet another example of gamers attributing everything they love about x game/franchise to one person. Games are a collaborative effort.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMCEssAfhWI&t=110s

ken rolston is very much my dude :sax:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ken Rolston is really weird because he seems p cool but in practice he gave us Oblivion, Kingdoms of Amalur and the golden rule that no NPC should ever lie to the player

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i used to think so but from that video it seems like he just kinda checked out for oblivion. he was working weekends on morrowind because he really liked it.

kingdoms of amalur is pretty lol though, that was doomed from the start

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Berke Negri posted:

There is definitely those people that think everything great with TES lore is because of MK and they're wrong, and definitely those people that think that TES lore is great up until arbitrary point X before Oblivion. I think both mean well in the end.

At what point before Oblivion did they write about gay as gently caress, elf destorying, Winged Minotaur befriending, talked for several hours after he was beheaded, so angry Alessia had to pray to ALL THE GODS to calm him down, once ate and elf's neck veins, currently in 8 parts, Pelinal Whitestrake? Because he is cool as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i used to think so but from that video it seems like he just kinda checked out for oblivion. he was working weekends on morrowind because he really liked it.

kingdoms of amalur is pretty lol though, that was doomed from the start

I remember there was a thread for some other RPG years ago and one guy kept popping in to just say "wow Kingdom of Amular looks amazing"