Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I'm still laughing at the idea of Sacramento Tax Payers being on the hook for $250 million dollars for a new Kings stadium

The arena was built then Vivek dismantles the team right away after getting the new stadium approved, which adds more to the net worth of the team.

I wanted Seattle to get the team with their private funded Arena deal, but then got poo poo on by Kings fans for wanting to steal a team even though the new Arena deal that was proposed was poo poo for the taxpayers in Sacramento. Sweet cathartic feeling of being right

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Sacramento didn't steal your team you loving idiot

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Seattle fans being butt hurt never disappoints :discourse:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Sacramento didn't steal your team you loving idiot
First rude. Reread what I said. I was getting poo poo on for wanting to steal a team even though I was mainly focusing on how Seattle had a private funded arena ready versus a public funded arena.

The reason why David Stern pushed for Vivek was that he wanted his team owners to leverage tax payers into paying for their own stadiums. I was pissed about that. Out of all the people, you should be happy that the 49ers got denied by SF for tax breaks on the new Levi's stadium.

Surprise surprise, Vivek gutted the team when he had Whiteside, Issiah, and Boogie.

And the 49ers owner Jed York did the same poo poo. They don't give a gently caress about the fans.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You're right there. I misread.

But you're a loving idiot about Whiteside, so you're still 1/2.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Metapod posted:

Seattle fans being butt hurt never disappoints :discourse:

Not really butthurt when I can bandwagon the Warriors and my WSU favorite Klay Thompson and Sonics favorite Kevin Durant.

:)

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Spoeank posted:

You're right there. I misread.

But you're a loving idiot about Whiteside, so you're still 1/2.

You're right an organization run by Vivek would have never developed a talent like Whiteside.

Because the culture of a team starts at the top. See: Seattle Mariners. Players get better when they leave

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As a fan of Michigan football, I think Jed York is a brilliant owner, and I appreciate the wise decision he made in firing Jim Harbaugh.

I only wish they would have done it sooner.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

You're right an organization run by Vivek would have never developed a talent like Whiteside.

Because the culture of a team starts at the top. See: Seattle Mariners. Players get better when they leave

Also because Hassan Whiteside was in loving China when Vivek bought the team, after having washed out of the league for being a no-effort moron

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Didn't Vivek buy the team in 2013? So he had the chance to keep him?

"no effort moron"

Well I think that's mostly on Vivek for hiring some talentless hacks to run his team. How did he become an effort player who lead the NBA in blocks in 2016? Culture and personnel

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Rabid Snake posted:

Not really butthurt when I can bandwagon the Warriors and my WSU favorite Klay Thompson and Sonics favorite Kevin Durant.

ooh...an icey comeback

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Whiteside flushed out before 12-13.

Like, check BBRef before doubling and tripling down

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

ooh...an icey comeback

All said and done I'm good on my city not paying $250 million dollar on a stadium who's owner admits no wrong like Vivek. No team or not I can still watch the NBA

Spoeank posted:

Whiteside flushed out before 12-13.

Like, check BBRef before doubling and tripling down

Well poo poo okay Whiteside is one player.

How about Issiah Thomas, Boogie Cousins, and the other known bad moves they made under Vivek? Double down on what? Vivek has made so many bad decisions, a quick "BBRef" should've set you straight

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tax payers aren't on the hook the way you are describing it

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Tax payers aren't on the hook the way you are describing it

Was it tax from hotel bookings? It's been about almost 4 years since I've read it

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Rabid Snake posted:

All said and done I'm good on my city not paying $250 million dollar on a stadium who's owner admits no wrong like Vivek. No team or not I can still watch the NBA

Drive to Portland, watch a game. gently caress clay bennett and OKC forever

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Rabid Snake and the Magically Moving Goal Posts

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Lol

Rabid Snake posted:

Didn't Vivek buy the team in 2013? So he had the chance to keep him?

"no effort moron"

Well I think that's mostly on Vivek for hiring some talentless hacks to run his team. How did he become an effort player who lead the NBA in blocks in 2016? Culture and personnel

Lmao whiteside gave literally no fucks when he first came into the league

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rabid Snake posted:

Was it tax from hotel bookings? It's been about almost 4 years since I've read it

So you are going to come in here to gloat about being right without actually knowing what you are right about?

quote:

So I really hate Vivek and the basketball side of operations right now, but let me clear something up -- The public funding of the arena is fairly unique in this case. It wasn't general fund money, it wasn't a new tax, it wasn't any of that. The residents of the city aren't really paying for the arena like you'd suggest.

The 200m figure comes from a combination of a few things:

1. The city gave city owner land to the arena. Considering that part of downtown was kind of an ugly mess, not a huge deal, especially considering how it's revitalized that part of downtown.

2. There were some tax incentives. Not at all atypical for any major project.

3. The city took out bonds (at a great rate, by the way) and gave the cash to help pay for the arena.

Number 3 seems like a bad deal, but not if you dig deeper. The city was issued those bonds because they were backed by arena-related revenue. A big chunk is paid directly by the tenants of the arena. Nearly all of the rest is paid for from increased parking revenue (the city owns most nearby lots) and increased hotel tax revenue. In total the city is making (and is projected to keep making) all of the money to pay the bonds from sources directly related to the arena.

To put it another way, the money that goes to pay for the city's share of the arena only exists because of the arena. The city took out bonds, but its paying for those bonds through arena tenant leases, increased parking revenues, and hotel occupancy taxes. It's all new revenue, and it's all arena dependent. Essentially the city served as a financier because they could negotiate lower rates and they had direct revenue streams stemming from the investment.

As far as I know, that arrangement is fairly unique in sports, as the "city will prosper" claim is clearly measurable.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Rabid Snake and the Magically Moving Goal Posts

Hahaha what goalpost did I move? Are you a SacTown tax payer or what? I've already expressed my feelings on taxpayer money being spent on Sports Arenas.

Metapod posted:

Lmao whiteside gave literally no fucks when he first came into the league

That's on the training staff and team environment. Javale McGee looking like a solid back up on the Warriors while trash on the Mavs. Really makes you think??

TheShazbot posted:

Drive to Portland, watch a game. gently caress clay bennett and OKC forever

Last game I went in the Rose Garden was awhile ago and Brandon Roy went off. Heart Broken for brandon roy. I always fly between the bay and seattle for my job in software engineering so i've always caught games in oracle. the difference is that its now expensive as hell since 2014

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 22, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

The building the arena replaced was an indoor/outdoor mall building that wasn't being used all that much anymore. The area surrounding the arena now is now swarming with construction to renovate all the older buildings. The original planned site of the arena a couple blocks away is 244 acres of mostly open space right on the edge of downtown that is part of the largest urban infill project in the country (seriously, it's just a giant empty plot of land in the middle of an urban area, Google Maps satellite view). People are now using the city's light rail system to get to games, too.

It really has revitalized the downtown area.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rabid Snake posted:

That's on the training staff and team environment. Javale McGee looking like a solid back up on the Warriors while trash on the Mavs. Really makes you think??

Literally every team in the league passed on Whiteside. Multiple times

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Yeah and after looking at the tax stuff, i'm kinda misinformed so my bad.

The tax stuff was on parking garages which I forgot

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I do appreciate straight out of POTUS's playbook debate style of shotgunning half truths and misinformed statements along with things that are true though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Makes me think you don't understand psychology because whiteside is known as a immature headcase.

WhyteRyce posted:

Also this

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

I do appreciate straight out of POTUS's playbook debate style of shotgunning half truths and misinformed statements along with things that are true though.

Posting 3.0

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spoeank posted:

At least he admitted he was incorrect.

The POTUS tends to double and triple down on his bullshit.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Whiteside used to work at Little Caesar's.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I appreciate all the basketball people on this forum. You all make the sport that much easier to follow so I seem ahead of the game to my friends.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

NickRoweFillea posted:

Whiteside used to work at Little Caesar's.

Flushed out of there too. Could have been a loving allstar dough spinner but whatever

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Doltos posted:

Flushed out of there too. Could have been a loving allstar dough spinner but whatever

Really says a lot about the kind of people Vivek hired at Little Caesar's imo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I still have doubts about Whiteside as a player because his game is hugely detrimental to an offense. He just wrecks any team concept and his offense is worse than his defense is good and he's an overall net negative. He doesn't really play basketball, and I don't know if he's got enough Dennis Rodman in him to make it work.

but I remember tuning in to Kings games to see IT play I have no idea why he was moved. Ginobili, IT and Tom Brady best late draft picks of all time.

Dutchy posted:

And Barea made the shot :cool:

hell yeah and IT's absolutely gonna drain it when some Pacers big man or whatever tries to spike him into the earth :cool:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
newest news is Boogie's gonna wear #0

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

http://twitter.com/dontegreeneCOS/status/834243029535956992

gently caress it why not what're Jon Brockman and Andres Nocioni up to

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Donte was my absolute favorite and I'm still sad that he turned from a charismatic athletic, dynamic forward to a boring stretch big who couldn't shoot

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

http://twitter.com/dontegreeneCOS/status/834243029535956992

gently caress it why not what're Jon Brockman and Andres Nocioni up to
Last I checked Jon Brockman was balling it up in Germany.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

EvanTH posted:

I still have doubts about Whiteside as a player because his game is hugely detrimental to an offense. He just wrecks any team concept and his offense is worse than his defense is good and he's an overall net negative. He doesn't really play basketball, and I don't know if he's got enough Dennis Rodman in him to make it work.

but I remember tuning in to Kings games to see IT play I have no idea why he was moved. Ginobili, IT and Tom Brady best late draft picks of all time.

hell yeah and IT's absolutely gonna drain it when some Pacers big man or whatever tries to spike him into the earth :cool:

Whiteside also got loving owned by Boban

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Spoeank posted:

Yeah okay buddy. Half truths in one whiteside and you compare me to trump. What a hyperbole.

You should feel happy that SF wasn't forced to pay Levi Stadium's terrible tax. Get's his stadium built and guts the whole team after. Reminds me of the kings. Owning a house in daly city and having my property tax become almost as much as my mortgage is ridiculous. I can't imagine my taxes going to an arena when the cost of living is so high in the bay already

And after reading the actual documents on the "parking tax" that is supposed to pay for the arena...

What happens when the parking meters don't meet the expected threshold? They were optimistic assumptions in the first place, and that was when the Kings were on the uprise.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 22, 2017

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Just take the L and move on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Jota posted:

Just take the L and move on

I will just like the Kings and Sacramento Tax Payers. I just won't be on the hook though for my L.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 22, 2017

• Locked thread