Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

I figured it would be Dune-like, ripping off the sandworm from Dune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

CR is a terrible hack. Good lord. I feel so much fremdschämen for a scum bag conman but I can't help it. :cripes:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

the hilarious thing will be the people who spent thousands on ships trying desperately to get their money back out

all this "pledging" poo poo will be out the window, it'll be "but I preordered this ship!" instead

Yeah, I've said it before but CIG doesn't need to worry about us when the end comes, it's their current vocal defenders they should be worried about.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

Sunswipe posted:

Bad news: you sound like a weirdo.

as long as it's about something i care about then im willing to take sides.

bar keep. a hairy robbert and don't skimp on the hair if you know what i mean.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

From that, it seems like CR didn't even read Dune. What a disgrace.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Space Crabs posted:

I'll :toxx: myself that they don't make it to 3.0 and the company evaporates sometime between April and October of this year.

Everyone thinking this will drag out for years and years because of whale desperation is wrong, this poo poo is going to just implode one day in spectacular fashion. Roberts is going to run 1000% inefficient up until the checks start bouncing and employees start not getting paid.

If they were going to take any steps to mitigate budget concerns they would have started out with a reasonable sized team in the first place, and not have spent years and most of the budget on useless motion capture nobody asked for. They would have cut back in scope somehow by this point.

I think we hit Peak JPEG already, where the whales can no longer sustain funding for the operation Chris Roberts will not compromise on running. That's why all the leaks point to them specifically targeting peoples wallets when they are 3 years late with nothing to show for it.

The problem with predicting the end is you don't know what investors are involved and Citizens are really dumb and keep giving them money. Logically the income has to decline sometime but if you just looked at their reported monthly income, they can easily borrow against it to keep the lights on. Then again logically you'd expect money worries to result in lay offs, but logic doesn't apply as it's a Religion and Chris Roberts thinks he can walk in space.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

AP posted:

Yeah, I've said it before but CIG doesn't need to worry about us when the end comes, it's their current vocal defenders they should be worried about.

Absolutely.

When times are quiet, goons eat each other, figuratively of course.

When CIG fails, the die hard fans are going to eat them, literally I reckon.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
Star Citizen: Worm WAS NOT A JOKE.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/834126679882682368
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/834201594170396673

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

no_recall posted:

From that, it seems like CR didn't even read Dune. What a disgrace.
He just watched the movie because that's all he's interested in.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Clifford.. :ughh:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Worm WAS NOT A JOKE.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:negative:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Santa Clarita Diet (on netflix) is very funny and good.
'

I have nothing to say about Star Citizen, a bad game.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

'

I have nothing to say about Star Citizen, a bad game.

Nice, I'll have to give that a go. I'm really enjoying The Expanse at the moment, looking forward to the Crobbler seeing it and trying to put space conspiracy into the game.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Great analogy. The cake is a lie. So is Star Citizen :golfclap:

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

This whole section of the document was amazing. So CIG produced a written statement in November that the Homestead demo was just a demo and not showing gameplay, and yet they were letting backers believe that the fully realized 3.0 would drop the next month. :laugh:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

as a timothy olyphant fan i am glad to hear this

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

I'm the guy pleading in vain with C-Robbz "I don't want to be selling something that isn't in the game"

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sabreseven posted:

When a small privately funded studio makes a game trailer for their space game;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsSzoQJek70

It looks like they even have a female model.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

guys as this project stretches on for decades and decades i am worried more people will also "lose sight of the end game"

Worm was defo a joke WAS NOT A JOKE

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well that explains the new thread title.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

AP posted:

The problem with predicting the end is you don't know what investors are involved and Citizens are really dumb and keep giving them money. Logically the income has to decline sometime but if you just looked at their reported monthly income, they can easily borrow against it to keep the lights on. Then again logically you'd expect money worries to result in lay offs, but logic doesn't apply as it's a Religion and Chris Roberts thinks he can walk in space.

You can't borrow against expected income because then they'd have to open their books and that would make any banker slap the poo poo out of you for even trying to get a loan. As soon as the layoffs start or the pay checks start to bounce expect refunds to surge and "pledging" to freeze. A few of the die hards might keep pledging but most backers are going to see how things pan out before buying another space news van.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"Please don't feature creep the UI."

Apparently adding an oxygen indicator for a game about space is feature creep.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Chris Roberts: "Or at least that's what I understood, but it could be my usual fevered dream of exuberant optimism."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wise Learned Man posted:

I'm the guy pleading in vain with C-Robbz "I don't want to be selling something that isn't in the game"
I'm Christ Robber shutting you down by saying it will be in the game eventually so its not a lie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why is Joe Biden's best friend referenced in the thread title?

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

This man understands game development :golfclap:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I struggle to understand how space suits and guns work... surely one bullet would puncture the suit and then kill the player? Or the suit is bullet proof and you never die? Or is the helmet like suctioned around your neck to form a seal and choke you to death?

I'm so lost :ohdear:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Good to know that both procedurally generated birds and worms are in.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
it's nice to know Chris Roberts will remain completely out of touch with this entire project forever

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

VealCutlet posted:

I struggle to understand how space suits and guns work... surely one bullet would puncture the suit and then kill the player? Or the suit is bullet proof and you never die? Or is the helmet like suctioned around your neck to form a seal and choke you to death?

You've put more thought into this than the Star Marine development team

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Ghostlight posted:

I'm Christ Robber shutting you down by saying it will be in the game eventually so its not a lie.

I know, that part is great. Really just runs over that objection like he doesn't even consider it. (Because he doesn't)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Worm.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

http://i.imgur.com/uvafZN0.gifv

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

When Silent Hunter 3 was coming out there were people who were posting about playing it without time compression. In WW2 a submarine patrol was around 80-90 days.

Lethality is those people.
Hilariously, SH3 map is distorted which means getting anywhere while away from the equator takes longer than in real life.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

starkebn posted:

You've put more thought into this than the Star Marine development team

Time to get me some jpg money then!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Don't laugh at his worm, it's not a joke and he's very sensitive about it.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

VealCutlet posted:

The Expanse did a pretty good job with in this season so far. Go watch S3, ep 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

The Expanse did a pretty good job with in this season so far. Go watch S3, ep 1.
That would be the book dummy.

I think Toast means Season 2, episode 1.