Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

eames posted:

meanwhile over at amazon... safe to say that these are going to run fairly hot.

AMD YD170XBCAEWOF Ryzen 7 1700X Processor & Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Black Bundle
by AMD

Price: $495.99 & FREE Shipping. Details
This item will be released on March 2, 2017.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6N8QGB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711187&sr=8-1

1800X bundle is up too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5Q7B38/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711885&sr=8-4&keywords=ryzen

confirms the leaked prices.

comedy option:

https://www.amazon.com/H-5000-Portable-Infrared-Quartz-Heater/dp/B00N516PX2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487711885&sr=8-3&keywords=ryzen

edit:
links are down but a guy on reddit found cached versions

1700x: http://archive.is/2017.02.21-212855/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6N8QGB
1800x: http://archive.is/2017.02.21-212937/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W5Q7B38/

This is bullshit, the 9590 didn't even require a $100 cooler and it was a 220W part. On top of that we've already seen the OEM HSFs and the biggest one is still modestly sized compared to the 3rd party offerings. Amazon probably has a thousand dollar PSU to sell you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If I built a Ryzen system I'd expect to just use the Hyper 212+ I've used on everything for years.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

FuturePastNow posted:

If I built a Ryzen system I'd expect to just use the Hyper 212+ I've used on everything for years.

The new Wraith Max cooler coming with Ryzen will actually have more performance than the Hyper 212+. The original Wraith is 455g and had similar performance, the new one is 545g so it should perform even better.

AMD stock coolers >>>>> Intel Stock coolers now.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Plus given that this is a brand new, 1st run architecture by a company with nowhere near the r&d expenditure of intel on what is close to a top of the line process run by a company that really isn't top of the line and has had historical issues with this sort of thing, I'd say it has a real good future. I mean, it's not like these aren't issues they can't fix. I mean, when have early adopters ever had the best deal lol? If glofo can find their rear end and/or AMD finally is able to move their product to Samsung (maybe also with a process shrink to 10 or 7 by the time they get there, as a 5-15% shrink will definitely help things)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, if they end up scoring clockspeed gains like Intel did in their second generation 14nm re-spins (easy 4.8-5ghz clocks) then things look like it'll be fantastic.

eames
May 9, 2009

hifi posted:

This is bullshit, the 9590 didn't even require a $100 cooler and it was a 220W part. On top of that we've already seen the OEM HSFs and the biggest one is still modestly sized compared to the 3rd party offerings. Amazon probably has a thousand dollar PSU to sell you too.

The top OEM cooler is rated for 140W TDP and the guys with obvious insider knowledge say that Ryzen around 4 GHz hits 90C on air.
Something does not add up there.

gamersnexus posted:

China-based motherboard manufacturer Maxsun plays an important role in our largely US-driven coverage: The exposure of AMD’s cooling solutions, through branding that states “Support AMD S3.0 Radiator.” From this, we can postulate that AMD’s planning at least one CLC solution for its upcoming Ryzen CPUs, likely alongside a few other stock cooling solutions. We’ll explore that more in a post soon.

"Black Bundle" sounds pretty OEM to me, not like something that Amazon came up with.
I want AMD to beat Intel's lazy rear as much as any other CPU consumer but it seems likely to me that the 1800X is a highly binned, factory overclocked and very cooling sensitive "Black Edition" SKU with little additional OC headroom. Not that that's a bad thing.

On the bright side I recall launch RX480s throttling at more than 150W with stock frequencies. Fast forward a few months and suddenly youtubers reviewed factory overclocked cards that never went above 100W during Firestrike. :glomp:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

eames posted:

"Black Bundle" sounds pretty OEM to me, not like something that Amazon came up with.
This thread has reached peak speculation

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

a week after ryzen is released, the value is undermined by the US dollar's value suddenly sinking due to the great depression 2: "we forgot to kill the robber barons" finally hitting the stock market

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
We will be forced to trade in Ryzen CPUs as currency

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

eames posted:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/amd_reveals_a_exascale_mega_apu_in_a_new_academic_paper/1

man they are really going for it :stare:
pretty much apple's wet dream for the rMBP too, picks up where Crystalwell left off and turns it up to 11.

Maybe dumb question, but what is the reason to not go all in and put DRAM on the CPU Chiplets themselves as well? If you are going to put all the GPU DRAM on the the GPU Dies directly, couldn't the same be done on the CPU Die and just cut out the distance middleman and make that chip absolutely fly? Even if the clocks were kept to a low level, having everything SoC like should be a compact posiblity. Or am I missing something/smoking crack/dumb and uneducated on chip design?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

EdEddnEddy posted:

Maybe dumb question, but what is the reason to not go all in and put DRAM on the CPU Chiplets themselves as well? If you are going to put all the GPU DRAM on the the GPU Dies directly, couldn't the same be done on the CPU Die and just cut out the distance middleman and make that chip absolutely fly? Even if the clocks were kept to a low level, having everything SoC like should be a compact posiblity. Or am I missing something/smoking crack/dumb and uneducated on chip design?
the latency gain would be negligible and most of the HPC work would be happening on the GPU components so it's better to put them there instead of the CPU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
On the one hand, zero-discount bundles are absolutely meaningless, and have nothing to do with amd or corsair and everything to do amazon trying to sell more stuff. Unless you think this bundle says something about the thermals of that CPU or a intel/thermaltake deal? Water coolers are a thing that nerds who drop $400 on a CPU might be induced to buy.

On the other hand, AMD must be performance competitive and in recent years they've frequently done it by yelling for more powah!!! AMD's TDP numbers are not the same as other TDP numbers -- when they say a part uses 95 watts, there's no max or maybe about it. That chip is eating those 95 watts and then licking the plate for leftover electrons. Let's not forget that the 480 drew out-of-spec power because it couldn't keep under 150w in real-world use.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Maybe dumb question, but what is the reason to not go all in and put DRAM on the CPU Chiplets themselves as well?
Intel has eDRAM on some Iris Pro chips, and one possible thing they might do if Ryzen really does start eating their lunch is put that on all CPUs in the next cycle. If you're not using it for the on-die graphics it becomes a sort of superior universal cache that sits directly on the memory controller. IIRC people tested mostly-identical mobile chips but with & without the eDRAM, and it was a modest performance gain for many tasks.

edit: ^^^ the above is strictly about general purpose CPUs, I know nothing about HPC

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

That chip is eating those 95 watts and then licking the plate for leftover electrons.

I love that mental image and I'm stealing it for later.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Klyith posted:

On the other hand, AMD must be performance competitive and in recent years they've frequently done it by yelling for more powah!!! AMD's TDP numbers are not the same as other TDP numbers -- when they say a part uses 95 watts, there's no max or maybe about it. That chip is eating those 95 watts and then licking the plate for leftover electrons. Let's not forget that the 480 drew out-of-spec power because it couldn't keep under 150w in real-world use.
while Intel TDPs are often under especially in the case of the LGA115x K SKUs, the 5930k and 5960x absolutely uses the full 140w of its TDP rating and the 6900k draws around 130w on load and the comparable Xeon draws 115, so a 18-25% drop in power consumption for comparable performance isn't something to scoff at and is probably the big reason why intel is unnerved

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Intel has eDRAM on some Iris Pro chips, and one possible thing they might do if Ryzen really does start eating their lunch is put that on all CPUs in the next cycle. If you're not using it for the on-die graphics it becomes a sort of superior universal cache that sits directly on the memory controller. IIRC people tested mostly-identical mobile chips but with & without the eDRAM, and it was a modest performance gain for many tasks.

It's also pretty expensive and failure prone. Intel is most likely to put out 6 and 8 core chips with varying features (HT, video, ???) to try to fill in the gap in their market segmentation AMD is pushing into. It would have a (relatively) low development cost, though I don't see how they could do it without another socket, or a huge price cut on an existing high end socket. Still, there is a time window for AMD to get established that Intel will have a tough time with, even if the impact on their bottom line is actually pretty minimal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
of course there's also the possibility that Intel has been doing something other than this with their time for the last 5 years. I mean, if we're wildly speculating here, their slowdown in performance improvements could be them keeping stuff in their back pocket that they just haven't bothered with.

But as long as ryzen is at least good enough to compete and force intel to respond in some way I'll be happy -- price drops, big performance improvements, or going super saiyan, I don't care.

eames
May 9, 2009

Klyith posted:

if we're wildly speculating here, their slowdown in performance improvements could be them keeping stuff in their back pocket that they just haven't bothered with.

... or perhaps they simply didn't expect AMD to become competitive again.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

fishmech posted:

The Vive and other VR headsets really do want as many cores and as much GPU as you can throw at them, though GPU certainly helps much more. Having more CPU cores does help in getting more consistent framerates, which is vital for the 3D effect to not become unpleasant.

Yeah, there's a separate program that does the positioning from the sensors back to the lighthouse, or from the cameras to the IR constellation. This is a totally separate thread from the game engine itself and will occupy at least a full core/two hyperthreads all on its own. VR is definitely one of the valid use-cases for >4 cores right now.

The Rift in particular is brutal, because it's got two USB 3.0 cameras pumping frames at it as fast as it can go and it needs to process all that data quickly. The Vive is a lot better system in a technical sense.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 22, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

But also getting 8 cores up above 4.2+Ghz together isn't even something you do on Intel all that much currently so even if they are behind, at the prices they look to be launching at, they are ahead.

I don't know about that. My 5820K (6-core) hits 4.13 GHz at stock voltages. I have it on a fairly small AIO all things considered (140mm - Nepton 140 XL) and I peak around 77C running Prime95.

My understanding is that the 5960X and the 6900K both hit 4.5 GHz fairly reliably and you should hit 4.4 GHz minimum. The power consumption goes up very steeply beyond that and I wouldn't expect more than about 4.7 GHz even pumping a lot of voltage through a golden sample, but 4.2 GHz is not really that special.

So overall, Zen only hitting 4.4 GHz before it hits the wall isn't really all that fantastic. That's pretty much the ballpark you'd expect, and it's not really going to give them an edge in overclocking benchmarks.

Now, where it will give them an edge is stock clocks. Intel's stock clocks on the HEDT chips are trash, the 5820K is 3.3/3.6 GHz, and AMD is going to come in 10% over that, which will help keep them in play even with their IPC disadvantage.

It'll all come down to pricing. I expect the 4- and 6-core options to be kinda meh when put head-to-head against i5s and i7s, especially if they have the garbage 3.2 and 3.4 GHz stock clocks, but the 8-core should hold a bit of a lead over the Intel 6-cores. Now, if they are priced way above the 6-cores, it's still gonna be a poo poo deal. The 5820K has been $330 at Microcenter for like years now. It was an old-rear end deal even a year ago when I built my system. It's gonna be pretty lol if AMD only wants $500 for a processor that's only marginally faster.

I'll definitely give them a look though, I still really want a powerful system built into a tiny mITX case (Mini-Box M350) and Intel HEDT is just not good for that either in terms of motherboards or heat output. They want you to stay under 65W TDP for that case, even 95W would be pushing it hard. And there's only one LGA2011v3 mobo in mITX form-factor and it's a technological marvel that it even exists. Just lookit that loving component density :stonk:

Oh and it's actually got a decent amount of stuff on the other side too - a couple controllers and a bunch of discretes.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 22, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vi00w/amd_we_beat_our_goal/

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

is that the new "moar cores dot png"?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Every workload that isn't bound by memory responds to frequency or IPC.

A lesson that AMD took far too long to learn, but here we are.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 22, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

IPC going to exceed Haswell?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EdEddnEddy posted:

Building more and more components in to the same die is going to exponentially increases the validation/binning costs, if it can be reliably made at all. I mean, think about how often you have a bad stick of ram and need to replace it. (Hell, one of the most reliable mantras of PC troubleshooting is "IT'S ALWAYS YOUR RAM") Can't do that if the RAM is built in to your CPU core.

It's not like it's impossible, because we've already seen the Iris chips with their onboard memory, but it might not be worth the cost to try and shove a significant amount on there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The gaming+streaming benchmark here is a nice idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rUndzpdo1I

I guess an embargo was lifted half an hour ago.

Oovee
Jun 21, 2007

No life king.
Amd tech day stuff is up everywhere, review NDA is still in effect I think. Ryzen does go on pre-order 6pm GMT+2.

Its looking like retirement time for 2600k.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Pre-orders opening a week before review NDAs are lifted is such bullshit rofl.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you don't like it after you get it, just return it :shrug:

They are going to be flying off the shelves

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Well, at least you don't need to preorder it! :downs:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Am I right in thinking that there are no ITX motherboards available to begin with for Ryzen?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ihmemies posted:

Well, at least you don't need to preorder it! :downs:

I mean, I'm not because I don't need a new machine, so it's not me buying, it's just an aggravating trend.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dammit AMD, do I want the 1700x or 1800x?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
100$ for a 200mhz base clock jump seems like a rather poor return on your monies.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD is... good? :aaaaa:

Lungboy posted:

Am I right in thinking that there are no ITX motherboards available to begin with for Ryzen?

Yeah we haven't seen any yet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

100$ for a 200mhz base clock jump seems like a rather poor return on your monies.

I spent 100 bucks on hyperthreading, bad decisions are in my nature :colbert:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Gwaihir posted:

It's almost like they targeting the same customers that put stupid amounts of money down on special edition game pre-orders without reviews.....

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PerrineClostermann posted:

I spent 100 bucks on hyperthreading, bad decisions are in my nature :colbert:

Me too!! :shepspends:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I mean, it's also probably gonna be a pretty big difference in terms of binning, so it's not that different than a binned/premium GPU really. I'm excited to see what the price curve looks like when they hit sites like silicon lottery, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've never really been able to talk myself in to buying based on "premium binning/overclocking ability" but I can and definitely have bought stuff for marginal feature bonuses/extra cores etc.

• Locked thread