Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Spergatory posted:

"Can you really do it, Barry? Take a life? Besides the dozens you've already taken?"

They're on Earth-2. None of those lives matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Good lord, that fight :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
That was some good CG for tv, but it took Barry forever to throw that lightning. The charge time on that technique is not supposed to be that long! :argh:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Spergatory posted:

That was some good CG for tv, but it took Barry forever to throw that lightning. The charge time on that technique is not supposed to be that long! :argh:

Did he even throw lightning? Looked like he just vibro-handed his poo poo.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

He tried to throw lightning, but Solovar interrupted his cast

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

howe_sam posted:

He tried to throw lightning, but Solovar interrupted his cast

Ah, missed that part.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Can't Grodd read minds? :raise:

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Kneel.

Before.

Grodd.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
Why couldn't Caitlyn just freeze the cage bars so they could shatter them? But no, faking Barry's death was the "only" way. :rolleyes:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Spergatory posted:

"Can you really do it, Barry? Take a life? Besides the dozens you've already taken?"

I laughed pretty hard at that part.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 22, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Solovar and Grodd! My face has been waiting for this day for 3 seasons.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Tonight I watched a show where one actor portrayed three wildly different characters - one of whom was a homicidal psychic gorilla.

What a world we live in.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Zebulon posted:

Did he even throw lightning? Looked like he just vibro-handed his poo poo.

He was wall running to charge it up, Solovar does his triple jump shockwave dust up and it knocked Barry down. He takes a pretty gnarly high speed tumble, I'm sure there will be a gif of it, almost as enjoyable as Wally running into wall.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spergatory posted:

Can't Grodd read minds? :raise:

Grodd love Caitlin. Grodd no read Caitlin's mind. :shrug:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

8one6 posted:

Earth 2 Africa looks remarkably like a forest in Vancouver.

Must not be global warming there.

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
Tom cavanagh makes this show great how many different characters has he been now after tonight?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They put a lot of time into that full-rotate shot just after Solovar bashed Flash. Was that a comic cover reference, or did some graphic designer fall in love with their work and put their foot down?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Spartacus cgi/green screen arena shots looked better than this. Good god, stop rotating the loving camera around the lovely cgi Flash!

Also, since when does phasing through somebody's ribcage in order to stop their heart become a super-punch repelling an 800Lb gorilla 50 yards away? He already has a super sonic ultra power punch attack. I feel like the writers are going out of their way to make everything and everybody as stupid as possible. Like, how come Wally's training for phasing through things was running into a wall over and over? For a laugh? You can get the same laugh for having Wally screw up a thing he's still training on while he's chasing a bad guy, instead of making literally making that the training exercise. I don't recall Barry using that particular training regimen. Same with them just forgetting that Barry has been pretty into killing people for the better part of two seasons now or having Grodd just not use his psychic ability so the team could use their lovely contrived plan instead of literally any of their actual abilities.

I think I'm pretty much done with this show. Never really read comic books as a kid, so I don't get much enjoyment from seeing those story lines brought to TV, but I did really like the first season. I don't need any gritty realism or the grim dark BS from Batman vs Superman, but it'd be cool if they took this bag of tools they established over the first couple seasons (supersonic punch, lightning, hand-to-hand combat training, phasing through stuff etc...) and actually used them to solve whatever issue the team is facing. I really like most of the characters, most of the time, but goddamn the writers seem to hate all of us.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector 34 posted:

Spartacus cgi/green screen arena shots looked better than this. Good god, stop rotating the loving camera around the lovely cgi Flash!

Also, since when does phasing through somebody's ribcage in order to stop their heart become a super-punch repelling an 800Lb gorilla 50 yards away? He already has a super sonic ultra power punch attack. I feel like the writers are going out of their way to make everything and everybody as stupid as possible. Like, how come Wally's training for phasing through things was running into a wall over and over? For a laugh? You can get the same laugh for having Wally screw up a thing he's still training on while he's chasing a bad guy, instead of making literally making that the training exercise. I don't recall Barry using that particular training regimen. Same with them just forgetting that Barry has been pretty into killing people for the better part of two seasons now or having Grodd just not use his psychic ability so the team could use their lovely contrived plan instead of literally any of their actual abilities.

I think I'm pretty much done with this show. Never really read comic books as a kid, so I don't get much enjoyment from seeing those story lines brought to TV, but I did really like the first season. I don't need any gritty realism or the grim dark BS from Batman vs Superman, but it'd be cool if they took this bag of tools they established over the first couple seasons (supersonic punch, lightning, hand-to-hand combat training, phasing through stuff etc...) and actually used them to solve whatever issue the team is facing. I really like most of the characters, most of the time, but goddamn the writers seem to hate all of us.
:goonsay:

"I demand more realistic use of Flash's superpowers"

Barry learned how to phase by running really fast into something while someone told him to run faster, having Wally run into a wall replicates the circumstances he first learned how to phase.

You don't complain about him phasing an entire moving train and everyone in it through a pile of rocks?

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 22, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This show has been a garbage-fire on the scale of Dexter since the first episode of season 2, how was this what made you break?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I honestly don't remember exactly how Barry trained himself to phase. If he did it the same way, by just running into a wall over and over and over then I guess I underestimated how dumb this has been for how long. I thought he did something more like doing his jazz hands through a door or something. And I'm not asking for any realism at all, not sure where you read that. Just a little bit of consistency, that's all.

I don't know why this episode broke me. I think it was the endlessly spinning arena shots maybe. I totally agree about it being garbage since season 2, but Cisco and Tom Cavanaugh kept me entertained enough I guess, and Tom nearly pulled if off again tonight.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who gives a gently caress, it's comics come to life with a lovely budget.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'll still watch plenty of other superhero shows with lovely budgets, just maybe not this one. Until next week probably.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inspector 34 posted:

I honestly don't remember exactly how Barry trained himself to phase. If he did it the same way, by just running into a wall over and over and over then I guess I underestimated how dumb this has been for how long. I thought he did something more like doing his jazz hands through a door or something. And I'm not asking for any realism at all, not sure where you read that. Just a little bit of consistency, that's all.

I don't know why this episode broke me. I think it was the endlessly spinning arena shots maybe. I totally agree about it being garbage since season 2, but Cisco and Tom Cavanaugh kept me entertained enough I guess, and Tom nearly pulled if off again tonight.

how can you complain about consistency and make that your hill to die on if you don't even remember what happened?

The Trickster put a bomb on him that explodes if he stops running and Evil Wells gives Barry a speech about how awesome the speedforce feels and how he needed to be more in touch with it to vibrate himself and travel through something while leaving the bomb behind.

It's kind of a major plot point since that's exactly when he discovered Wells was the Reverse Flash because of how he described the speed force when got Barry to phase by just running into something.

They actually did Wally's training well because Barry doesn't know dick about teaching someone something so he literally just had Wally running straight into something and could only offer up a half-hearted "Just feel the speed force and the air man I don't know do it" and later after learning his lesson and admitting his mistakes he gave Wally the correct kind of motivation to basically just run into something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'll concede that it's possible they had Wally run into a wall repeatedly for reasons other than a cheap laugh, but I don't really believe it. It's been approximately two years since I watched the episode you're describing, so yeah I don't remember the details surrounding Barry gaining that ability. The writers can barely remember what each character is capable of from episode to episode and it's their job.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector 34 posted:

I'll concede that it's possible they had Wally run into a wall repeatedly for reasons other than a cheap laugh, but I don't really believe it. It's been approximately two years since I watched the episode you're describing, so yeah I don't remember the details surrounding Barry gaining that ability. The writers can barely remember what each character is capable of from episode to episode and it's their job.

The Speed episode, Barry had to run through the wall and leave the bomb on the other side. Reverse Flash standard deep end "Run Barry, run!" moment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Flash Season 3 - "Man, that cannot be SCIEN-tifically accurate, come ON guys, jeez!!!"

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Oh HR. "He's gonna be so pissed."

I expected that kinda evil from Odo-Wells, but getting his doppelganger's daughter to leave their home universe in order to bang the dumbest guy in Central City*? All because Harrison has the audacity to have done something worthwhile with his life? That's some next-level douchebaggery. New favorite Wells!

*YMMV, but Barry's gonna have to get up pretty stupid in the morning to beat Wally's famed, "Goddamn it, why don't I have superpowers yet? Oh right! I haven't tried getting killed by a speeding car today!"

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Really glad they could get Tom Cavanaugh to come back and play Harry. I hear he's a regular on some TV show now.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Really glad they could get Tom Cavanaugh to come back and play Harry. I hear he's a regular on some TV show now.

I really liked his interactions with Tom Cavanaugh. They've always had great chemistry together.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cavanaugh is an absolute gem. He better never leave the show.

How long does it take for Barry to charge up for his lighting throw? He was running for like 20 seconds around.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Inspector 34 posted:

It was a hazing ritual. There's so many speedsters now they have their own fraternity. Watch next episode Jesse's all like 'you had him do WHAT to learn how to phase? Why didn't you just have him vibrate his hand and try to push that through a wall?' and they're all 'busted.'

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Digital Jedi posted:

How long does it take for Barry to charge up for his lighting throw? He was running for like 20 seconds around.

Exactly as long as the plot requires.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

It's astonishing how much I could miss Harry when Cavanaugh is in every episode.

Digital Jedi posted:

It depends on how precisely he pulses on the "run" button.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Oh yes. Reverse Flash was famous for his vibrating hand trick that works as a super strong punch.

Good job, show.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

adhuin posted:

Oh yes. Reverse Flash was famous for his vibrating hand trick that works as a super strong punch.

Good job, show.

Yes, but you see, Barry isn't a killer...just ignore that string of metas who died fighting him last season.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

teamcharlie posted:

Oh HR. "He's gonna be so pissed."

I expected that kinda evil from Odo-Wells, but getting his doppelganger's daughter to leave their home universe in order to bang the dumbest guy in Central City*? All because Harrison has the audacity to have done something worthwhile with his life? That's some next-level douchebaggery. New favorite Wells!

I mean, he didn't kidnap her, he just encouraged her to do something she clearly wanted to do, something that would make both her and his friend happy. I don't know how that's really douchebaggery. She's an adult and capable of making her own decisions. And to Wells, having her live on Earth 1 is not too different from having her live in the next town over. She can come over for dinner every week if she wants.

I'm also getting a little annoyed at how inconsistent they've been writing the Flash's powers. I get it, it's hard to write the Flash and not have him solve everything as soon as you blink, but it does feel like they're not even trying. It was hilarious having Cisco calling out the battle plan through the fight, when it boiled down to "hit him really fast!" "ok, that didn't work, do the special move!" "ok, that didn't work, try the other special move! ...we win!" (Although I would have loved to see "Ok Barry, remember how you can usually just run circles around bank robbers and tie them up before they can even react? Just do that! ...we win!")

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Forget about bullets and energy projectiles shot out of modern firearms. Slow-rear end darts from primitive blowguns are the Flash's one weakness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
If they want to change the future, shouldn't they be deliberately trying to do things differently than what they would have done in the original timeline?

You can't change the future by playing out the same events that probably lead to that happening in the first place. Geez.

• Locked thread