Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sixkiller posted:

Général de brigade Sixkiller

Finally, the Boche have shown themselves and now have secured their own doom! The 53rd Brigade is to quickly abandon its original goal, and charge the enemy who have so foolishly assembled against us; the elan that radiates from my troops should be enough to sweep aside the hated enemy. The single machine-gun company is to cover our advance, killing as many Germans as possible. To victory, men!

Yeah about that

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary

Trin Tragula posted:

Yeah about that

Did I screw something up?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Sixkiller posted:

Did I screw something up?

Probably. We all screwed up by signing up for this war. :v:

Get to roll20. We'll all probably have a lot to chat about as soon as the update is posted. I'm currently mostly talking about random subjects while waiting for Trin to drop the proverbial bomb. :)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Whilst we wait for the next set of turns to come in I want to give a big shout out to Trin. Not only for organizing almost everything but for pushing a rapid pace to the game which makes it so much easier to stay engaged.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Complimenting him won't improve our initiative rolls. Although I guess it couldn't hurt them, so thanks, Trin!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n3sUWR4FV4

Turn 10: 1130
German initiative

It's far from a good start to the turn for the 6th Division; the 52nd flees from some machine guns who aren't there any more, and the 120th successfully changes its orders and charges off down La Cote, with another runner from Baguende frantically and unsuccessfully chasing after them. The 119th, meanwhile, stays put again.

Another German brigade rather gormlessly wanders into range of the Clemenceau gun line; the 98th Division summons up the blood and charges into Saint Croissant!

German machine-guns open up on the charging 98th; over half of them never make it to the outskirts on the MG/08 account.

As the gun lines in the east take out one battery each, your guns on Clemenceau enjoy the turkey shoot, and the Cavalry Brigade expends all its firepower to take down just one German company, the combined rifles of three German brigades repel the entire 98th before it can reach the outskirts. Then it fails a morale check and routs, quite understandably.

It's bloody work for the 53rd in the north-east, but at least the 120th is coming to back them up!

Turn 11: 1200
French initiative

The Cavalry Brigade withdraws from the fight as the 97th gets orders to about-turn and interdict the St Croissant road.

That German brigade west of Clemenceau gets a right royal shoeing.

They, of course, epic-fail their morale check and rout. Speaking of failed morale checks...the victim this time is the 53rd, which is forced to retreat suppressed. Don't worry, here comes the 120th! A runner reaches them, but whatever orders came out of Brigade HQ never got to the men.

The 55th is also starting to pull itself together after fleeing from that earlier bayonet charge.

The landscape is beginning to look suitably apocalyptic.

Turn 12: 1230
German initiative

The intensity of the battle is beginning to die down somewhat. Most of the men in the killing zones are either dead or fled as the Cavalry Brigade seizes Dejeuner Ridge and the peak of La Oeuf.

I'm pretty sure, in fact, that the fled outnumber the dead, though I haven't counted. The 119th got its new orders, by the way, and is now forming up as planned, right in time to see two German brigades waltzing up to it.

The 120th remains unable to change its orders, although it is able to survive a morale check and trade blows with what appears to be a highly-trained German formation.

The last remaining in-range units in the west are being picked off on both sides. Those four German FKs have really punched above their weight, compared to a French gun line on Clemenceau that now numbers about 10 soixante-quinze batteries. The sound of disgruntled horse coming out of the Bois de Tigre has died down, by the way.

And there's still one more turn to go...

Turn 13: 1300
French initiative

Your cavalry finds this strange new German formation rather easier to deal with, at least for now.

Everyone is now at the end of their orders, or has switched to Defend stance, and does not move. More Geman artillery opens fire and causes casualties all over. General lenoon tries to rally his emotions around his shaking heart.

Two brigades' worth of machine guns absolutely rip through his men.

Seven dead companies, one failed morale check, and that's all she wrote east of Baguette. General lenoon makes a quiet departure from the field; a flea-bitten corporal suggests they both go to Paris and join the French Section of the Workers' International. The only other thing that happens is the 120th continuing to give as good as it gets against the Germans, succeed on morale checks, and forcing the enemy brigade to check (it passes, for once). And so, here we are.

It is a quarter past one, almost exactly halfway through the day. You have now lost 105 companies; the enemy has lost 119, and you have passed several morale checks while the enemy has whiffed on them.

News of runners to follow tomorrow. Next deadline is 5pm GMT, Thursday 24 February. You may wish to know that all your brigades are currently on Defend stance.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 22, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
THE GERMANS HAVE A poo poo TON OF BRIGADES

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well this is a bloody mess.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Considering we appear to be outnumbered AND outgunned, we're doing fantastically well. Keep making the Boche bleed for every inch of French soil :france:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Some quick notes. The Germans dont seem to be attacking anywhere, aside from that poor bicycle brigade.

Rip 98e and 96e

Loel needs to shuffle his formation so that his infantry dont get pegged by arty

55e needs to withdraw, carrying their guns.

Our cav brigade has been somewhat ineffectual but undeniably plucky

Also, my reservists are the best brigade :smug:

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 22, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am unsure what strategy to push. The safest thing to do right now would be to hole up and hold the line, but I worry that doing so will give the Germans they have to fully dig themselves out of their early game hole.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

RIP 98th, you died so that other people may attempt to kill the people killing you. :(

I don't think there's anywhere we can attack without leaving ourselves even more wide open, IMO the best thing to do now is just entrench where we are unfortunately.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Hm... Well, we took more losses than the Germans these last couple of turns, which is not good.

However, they've very likely comitted all their reserves to the fight. We'll need to call on ours, but it we can just hold the North against them, we can push West to win this fight once end for all.

Priorities, as I see them at the moment:

• Establish a defensive line in the North. Pull back and reorganize if needed, but hold the enemy off.
  • Keep the enemy engaged in the center, without exposing ourselves. Artillery placement is key here, I think.
  • Take our victory objective.

Don't panic guys. :) We're in the lead.

Sixkiller
Mar 2, 2015

Sanguine Sanguinary
Victory goes to man who holds La Cote, I think my brigade will dig in and hold it. The 75mms can shell the oncoming Germans, and our back-up reserves will finish the job.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So I think it is time for my artillery line to split. Four pieces go north to reinforce our position and the other three move behind my brigade.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Fall back? Is it October already?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Expected enemy route

Actual results

I'm ... not actually sure how to read this :v: We broke their center, they are split, but we don't have any forces to commit to it.

If we look at their center mass / avenue of approach, it looks like they are going for Dejuener Ridge and La Cote. However, I don't think La Cote is their objective. If it was, they would have deployed much more differently in the opening - instead, I think they are simply responding to our deployment.

What this suggests to me is that their objective is on our western flank - Haltebruit, Quatrepolis, or Graisse. They've been focused on the southwest since the opening, no matter what we've put in the way. Meanwhile, their eastern portion isn't in a position to support that attack, while they can continue pressing us. As such, the above map is their expected course of action.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

I agree re: their objective location being somewhere down the Southwest. Those bicycle boys have been pedaling non-stop all day, I'm sure there is a good reason other than just seeing if there are enemies there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nice work, Loel. :)

This is why I think we're in the lead. They're the ones reacting to our moves.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, those were certainly two bloody hours. Neither army is in any shape for offensive action, although if they make a push in the east I am not confident in our ability to hold them off. Will need yet another runner if I am to fall back. If they advance, my gunline will get at least two turns of fire on them. That being said, if they are defending, we'll get to paste their front line with impunity and if they have any arty to drag up, we'll get a free shot on them.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

my dad posted:

Hm... Well, we took more losses than the Germans these last couple of turns, which is not good.

Yeah, the good news that our dead are outnumbered by the perfidious Boche is tempered by the fact that our living are outnumbered with them and we're really falling back on our guns (I was right about our glorious 75s a long time ago).

Loel posted:

What this suggests to me is that their objective is on our western flank - Haltebruit, Quatrepolis, or Graisse. They've been focused on the southwest since the opening, no matter what we've put in the way. Meanwhile, their eastern portion isn't in a position to support that attack, while they can continue pressing us. As such, the above map is their expected course of action.

I'd agree, the appearance of their initial marching order was two parallel lines down the bouclecourt and nainville roads, which suggests a real focus on the middle and down towards the southwest. By way of analogy, their bicycle troops are as if I'd gone to grab Croissant, backed off to Dejeuner, and then gone to loop south of La Sanglant Femme en route to Fabileimpot. Considering Faibleimpot as our objective, this overall maneuver would make total sense. I'm guessing quatreprouts and we got me onto dejeuner in the exact nick of time.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

If we keep 99 where it is, that dominates the center and forces them to go far left or far right to avoid our guns. It makes them cede the ground. As such, I think it wise to move the Graisse brigade to fight them on Dejeuner Ridge.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Mon Pere, Corps Commander

*phone rings*

General Lyautey, the German forces are confirmed to have a substantially stronger presence than expected. We require reinforcements. What are their numbers, and how soon can they arrive?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

If we keep 99 where it is, that dominates the center and forces them to go far left or far right to avoid our guns. It makes them cede the ground. As such, I think it wise to move the Graisse brigade to fight them on Dejeuner Ridge.

Heh. I guess my hunch was right after all. :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

General Bacarrette/Tebeka, I need an update on your current situation.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just as a general tally 50% of the French forces are either dead or running away.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

Just as a general tally 50% of the French forces are either dead or running away.

NOTA BENE: 50% of the currently deployed French forces.

e: ^^^ Literally.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I think ordering my brigade to fall back at this point is premature. If the enemy are on the defense, as we are, it will take them at least two turns under fire to be able to spike the guns. If ordered, I will have the men conduct an orderly retreat, covered by the guns on Clemenceau if, say, the enemy brigades manage to cross gaps between the forest. But that would forfeit the opportunity to fire at them one last time before they close.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

General de Division Tebeka

looks out the window to see his division being blasted to shreds, accidentally clips the head off of a rose with the gardening scissors.

sheds a single tear

quote:

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

my dad posted:

Merde, mon general. Merde.

The 96th and the 98th are destroyed. Saint Croissant is in enemy hands.

97th has its guns on Clemenceau pointed NW. 97th's infantry are at the Toilette-Champs Farm holding position and securing the crossroads to their north.

99th took 25% causalities from enemy artillery fire -- they are digging in and holding position. Their counter-battery fire has wiped out the enemy MG and artillery to our front.

6th cav are in position on Le Oeuf. They have sighted enemy jaeger and bicycle troops in battalions strength headed for Le Oeuf -- our cavalry has been inflicting causalities, but they continue to advance.

Two German brigades spotted south of the Boise De Gooneville advancing due south. One weakened brigade still in Saint C.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 22, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A little housekeeping, here are the end of turn screenshots for turns 9,11,12,13. 10 is missing for some reason.

I suggest opening them full in separate tabs and switching between them to get an idea of exactly what the German force did.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

They definitely appear to be splitting forces, with their western group trying to flank us.

If we have any magic internet people here, they could make us a gif. :D

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eh. I'd rather take a slide-show I can control via extra tabs. The problem with gifs is that it's impossible to pay proper attention to the motion of a specific thing, especially if the gif is too quick.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
So they manhandled the arty from the farm up to position last turn. They may have orders to scoot around just out of range picking off infantry companies to force morale checks.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

my dad posted:

sound of muffled weeping on field telephone

Ahem.

Sir, while the 55e continues to do good work they are in danger of being overrun. 52e has rallied, and will be directed to support 55e. 53e has suffered heavy losses and will be forced to withdraw. 119e...are gone, sir. 120e fights bravely, but cannot sustain further losses.

I am facing two fresh brigades and one damaged one to my northwest. They have not proceeded past the Baguette-Nainville Road.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

sullat posted:

So they manhandled the arty from the farm up to position last turn. They may have orders to scoot around just out of range picking off infantry companies to force morale checks.

Artillery on default attack just tries to scooch into range of the nearest chit and shoot it. I don't think micro-ey orders like the way you described are allowed.

Also, I think Trin just forgot to turn them visible on one of the turns, they're there on turn 11 and 13, and disappear on turn 12 for no reason.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

My only regret is that My men have but one life to lay down for France

• Locked thread