Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

That's literally the point of Bretonnia: Arthurian stereotypes writ large. Le Morte d'Arthur was a French work, after all.

I like where they eventually settled, where the Knights are for the most part doing their best but don't understand at all how lovely everything is for the peasants, and where on paper everyone follows incredibly strict social roles that they never overstep, while in practice the entire thing relies on a thousand exceptions and everyone looking the other way all the time.

Bretonnia owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

vorebane posted:

I have a quest to embed a necromancer in Mannfred's army in my VC campaign, but hitting the hero action button on him goes right to the planning action. What am I doing wrong?

Right click on Mannfred's army with the necromancer. The hero action button is just for province deployment

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

vorebane posted:

I have a quest to embed a necromancer in Mannfred's army in my VC campaign, but hitting the hero action button on him goes right to the planning action. What am I doing wrong?

Select the necromancer, right click Mannfred's army, you will get a popup asking if you want to embed him in the army, click it.

Super 3 posted:

Isn't all of Bretonnian religion/grail hype based on WELF trickery too? Hence some of the WELF skills to increasing diplomacy with them.

Not the WELFs directly. One of the Elven Goddesses is doing it on their behalf, both to create a buffer to protect the WELF and to build up a reserve of particular high quality human souls for Age of Sigmar.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
You also need a free spot in the army to embed them.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Super 3 posted:

Isn't all of Bretonnian religion/grail hype based on WELF trickery too? Hence some of the WELF skills to increasing diplomacy with them.

This is all End Times bullshittery, which any real Warhammer fan would know is complete garbage and truly non-canonical. It, along with all the other End Times stupidity, is essentially the ravings of a terminal patient on hospice care.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

lilspooky posted:

This is all End Times bullshittery, which any real Warhammer fan would know is complete garbage and truly non-canonical. It, along with all the other End Times stupidity, is essentially the ravings of a terminal patient on hospice care.

The Nagash book was good tho

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Bretonnia/Wood Elf thing was very real and established in the lore for over a decade now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

I like where they eventually settled, where the Knights are for the most part doing their best but don't understand at all how lovely everything is for the peasants, and where on paper everyone follows incredibly strict social roles that they never overstep, while in practice the entire thing relies on a thousand exceptions and everyone looking the other way all the time.

Bretonnia owns.
Like how women can't be knights, but the punishment for being caught is to be sent on a quest.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

Like how women can't be knights, but the punishment for being caught is to be sent on a quest.

Like smoking a whole pack of cigarettes when you're not supposed to as a kid.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

While we are hype, let this guide help you figure out if you have what it takes to be a knight of Bretonnia.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Thanks guys you gave that necromancer the chance to extort me for a magic book!

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Bretonnia owns.

I think I remember reading something once where the duke of Carcassone hired "shepherds" from Tilea to guard a "sheep" from the orcs in the Vaults. Of course Bretonnia would never hire foreign mercenaries when they have their brave knights!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

One of the example characters from WFRP second edition is a female Bretonnian knight who stole her father's armor to go gallivanting and maintains the paper-thin fiction of being a guy with really great hair.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ammanas posted:

I honestly haven't figured out how to beat welves armies on VH with early-mid compositions. They're incredibly potent in battle, between unit-shredding archers and terror-inducing infantry.

Once you've improved your crossbowmen/handgunners though you can just erase their units. It's gorgeous to watch treemen get shot down in a couple of volleys.

Something with shields to soak up arrows and hold a line as long as possible, crossbow support with maybe 2 units of free company. Hopefully you picked Franz or Volkmar and still have your starting heavy cav, they'll be crucial for rear charges on the ranged once the infantry lines collide. Most importantly, you want mortars in order to force them to come to you and also wreck their lightly armored units. If I know I'm planning to butt heads with welves first I make getting mortars a top priority.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

vorebane posted:

Thanks guys you gave that necromancer the chance to extort me for a magic book!

Now you have learned, necromancers are dicks and should not be trusted. That is an important lesson for anyone in the Warhammer world.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

wiegieman posted:

One of the example characters from WFRP second edition is a female Bretonnian knight who stole her father's armor to go gallivanting and maintains the paper-thin fiction of being a guy with really great hair.

There's a reason the fashion for knights in Bretonnia has been being clean-shaven for centuries.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Something with shields to soak up arrows and hold a line as long as possible, crossbow support with maybe 2 units of free company. Hopefully you picked Franz or Volkmar and still have your starting heavy cav, they'll be crucial for rear charges on the ranged once the infantry lines collide. Most importantly, you want mortars in order to force them to come to you and also wreck their lightly armored units. If I know I'm planning to butt heads with welves first I make getting mortars a top priority.

Spearmen and swordsmen have bronze shields and I believe 30 armor. Welves archers route a unit in about 3-4 volleys. Their infantry is also something like 10speed slower than heavy cavalry and have great cav and spearmen. Artillery doesn't fire quickly enough to make a strong impact. Many of their units cause fear/terror and state troops have low LD.

They're a dang nightmare to fight.

I recently played a greenskins campaign and lost something like 8 attempts to take a welf settlement that had a full stack garrison with late-game units. It was frankly pretty awesome.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I'm still hoping when I select a unit of knights when playing as Brettonia there is a random chance to have a female voice respond.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Ammanas posted:

Spearmen and swordsmen have bronze shields and I believe 30 armor. Welves archers route a unit in about 3-4 volleys. Their infantry is also something like 10speed slower than heavy cavalry and have great cav and spearmen. Artillery doesn't fire quickly enough to make a strong impact. Many of their units cause fear/terror and state troops have low LD.

They're a dang nightmare to fight.

I recently played a greenskins campaign and lost something like 8 attempts to take a welf settlement that had a full stack garrison with late-game units. It was frankly pretty awesome.

I ran Beastmen in the campaign and holy hell it was terrible with Wevles, I tried to auto resolve wherever possible to keep from losing my mind.

On Empire I was able to use lines of flagellants to soak up arrows while I got my other troops into place, they're like Zombies but alive. Thanks religious zealots.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

lilspooky posted:

Its definitely been implied for well over a decade.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

lilspooky posted:

You've had this said to you like three times already, but for real, none of the Welf/Bret relationship was created by the end times, only confirmed.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also the Wood Elves steal their magic kids. The boys just disappear but the girls eventually show back up as Damsels with incredible magical powers. Which is itself a nod to the whole fay stealing kids and replacing them with changelings folk legend.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I want to say it was implied for a long while that the Wood Elves were loving with Bretonnia for reasons, but it was the End Times that went ahead and decided that "really, it was an elven goddess doing all this," rather than just fey trickery. Along with the souls junk. So you're both sort of right.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Is it just me or is the Welf red branch ridiculously OP compared to other races. The T1 infantry line already has decent armor, morale, melee attack and defense, and armor piercing anti-large weapon damage.

Then you have a red branch which gives blanket across all units +attack and defense skill in the T1. Is this actually balanced?

In comparison, the dwarf equivalent gives bonuses to... miners and warriors only. Units that quickly go obsolete in the mid and late game. And these units have abysmal attack and defense.

Perhaps the elves have other attributes that balance them out, such as lower unit count and HP. However I can't easily account for how important that is relative to the other stats so hopefully someone can help me out here.

Also the peasant powered grail relic knight cameo was siiiiiick!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Warriors also get a ton of tech, they never go obsolete.

And charge defence if I recall

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is it just me or is the Welf red branch ridiculously OP compared to other races. The T1 infantry line already has decent armor, morale, melee attack and defense, and armor piercing anti-large weapon damage.

Then you have a red branch which gives blanket across all units +attack and defense skill in the T1. Is this actually balanced?
No, campaign WElves end up being one of the easiest I've done as soon as I started beelining for that melee red tree on everyone possible and blanketing the battlefield in Wardancers. It definitely could use some tuning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What do the elfs do with the magic boys though?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
The welf campaign was way more fun when it was first released and really loving hard. They definitely went too far in the other direction.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pendent posted:

The welf campaign was way more fun when it was first released and really loving hard. They definitely went too far in the other direction.

Welfs are fun to go gently caress with Chaos for sure, since Norscan tribes and Warriors of Chaos are incredibly weak to ranged damage at all levels, and it is never not satisfying killing a unit of naked Norscans/horsemen in one volley.

It's still terrible fighting Welfs manually as any faction, though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jokes posted:

you know what they do

I had this same question a few months ago and the answer depends on which edition. It seems that they would be dropped off at the royal college of magic at altdorf to be raised as a wizard or just murdered. Murder seems to make the most sense as there is no place in bretonnian culture for a male magic user with a source of power other than The Lady. Most of the female magic users are damsels that are firmly working towards maintaining the worship of the lady of the lake. A man would just ruin the status quo in bretonnia

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 22, 2017

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I think a previous answer someone gave is that originally there were plans to update the Bretonnian roster with the male counterpart to the Damsels, but that never got finished so welfs just kidnap boys for no apparent reason. Maybe that's what the Grail Guardian unit that Enchantress starts with is supposed to be.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

You've had this said to you like three times already, but for real, none of the Welf/Bret relationship was created by the end times, only confirmed.

Say it to me one more time! :)

This must've been something they added after I stopped playing then. Back in my day you youngsters worshiped the lady as her own thing not some pointy eared stupidity! :corsair:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
while researching what happens to the boys I came upon who i think is the best bretonnian character, Asceline
http://warhammerfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Asceline

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lilspooky posted:

Say it to me one more time! :)

This must've been something they added after I stopped playing then. Back in my day you youngsters worshiped the lady as her own thing not some pointy eared stupidity! :corsair:

I have the 5th ed army book and its heavily hinted at so it was there at least that early

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Fauxtool posted:

you know what they do

I had this same question a few months ago and the answer depends on which edition. It seems that they would be dropped off at the royal college of magic at altdorf to be raised as a wizard or just murdered. Murder seems to make the most sense as there is no place in bretonnian culture for a male magic user with a source of power other than The Lady. Most of the female magic users are damsels that are firmly working towards maintaining the worship of the lady of the lake. A man would just ruin the status quo in bretonnia

I'm imagining they treat male kidnap victims like some kid coming home with a baby bunny. "he followed me home, can I keep him?"

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Welfs don't need to murder Brettonian boys, just turn'em loose in Athel Loren. Young Guillaume crosses a stream and either turns a thousand years old or winds up on Cadia. No need to get their hands dirty.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

jokes posted:

Depends on whether they pay the troll toll.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Athel Loren: Where the Elves are elves and the magical Brettonian boys are nervous.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jfood posted:

Welfs don't need to murder Brettonian boys, just turn'em loose in Athel Loren. Young Guillaume crosses a stream and either turns a thousand years old or winds up on Cadia. No need to get their hands dirty.

leaving someone alone in an un-survivable situation is murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

theDOWmustflow posted:

I think it's two things, one the overall inflation of new lords and stats as they get released and two someone really likes welves at CA. That or they were intended to be passive and defensive only but never got around to programming that aspect of the campaign AI.

• Locked thread