Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

JBP posted:

Using super for personal investment in housing rearing it's head again. Sounds like a good way to jam up some prices and dick people out of their retirement fund, I'm all for it.

The Liberals are really doing their best to dance around the Negative Gearing elephant in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You Am I posted:

The Liberals are really doing their best to dance around the Negative Gearing elephant in the room.

I just enjoy Morrison reheating failed Joe Hockey arguments.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

quote:

“The most fundamental right is to get a house with a backyard

Pretty sure that's the first one in the UN declaration of human rights, yep.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

You Am I posted:

Congratulations million dollar home buyer. You can now afford a 1.3 million dollar home. Jbo and growht

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I went and broke down my parents' house a few months ago to get an idea of what happens with the market. This isn't crazy, they bought a nice home in a good suburb that was suitable for starting a family at the time. So the price of the house now isn't equivalent to Caroline Springs or something, but the argument stands when you look at wage growth and housing prices.

They bought a 3br in Surrey Hills VIC in 1986 for $86,000. This was around 110% of my dad's yearly income and he was ~40 years old I think.

The house is now worth $1.6m. This is 2000% of my yearly income as a 33 year old. I am not expecting my wage to grow by 2000% in the next 6 years.

If you take a similar house in the new burbs (which by comparison will be poorly built, poorly serviced and remote to employment opportunities) for $400,000 that's still 500% of my annual income. Similarly I am not expecting my wages to grow by 500% in the next 6 years.

Anyway what I'm saying is gently caress boomers they can suck a dick.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

JBP posted:

That's the essential problem, they don't want wages to grow but they won't solve it the other way either.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

I think you'll find we can all suck dicks. It isn't really all that hard to do.

Ruh Roh

When this hits the front page of the Tele you know you are hosed (or possibly sucked depends whether there is a boomer in the room I guess :shrug:).

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...298d8fb3bdeec0a

quote:

Ray Williams donations scandal: Cash from developer funnelled through Hawkesbury Club SHARRI MARKSON, The Daily Telegraph 31 minutes ago

NSW MINISTER TOOK CASH FROM DEVELOPERS: READ THE FULL DOSSIER

ILLEGAL donations from property developers were funnelled through NSW Multicultural Minister Ray Williams’ Hawkesbury Club, where the annual fee of $990 was just below the $1000 disclosure threshold. Documents leaked to The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mr Williams — only recently promoted to the ministry by new Premier Gladys Berejiklian — took donations from some of Sydney’s most prominent property developers. The Hawkesbury Club had formal invitations detailing the date and venue of the meeting, where a speaker would address the group. A cheque for $990 written by developer Jack Iori to pay for membership to Ray Williams’ Hawkesbury Club. Several property developers told The Daily Telegraph they were asked to be members of the club, where they would pay an annual fee of $990 and in return could attend events with a wide range of prominent political speakers.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian has this morning asked the NSW Liberal Party to investigate Mr Williams. “I expect all MPs to maintain the highest standards of integrity and to comply with all relevant donations requirements,” she said. “Political donations are managed by the NSW Liberal Party and I have asked the Party to investigate these claims. If any allegations of wrongdoing emerge, they will be referred to the NSW Electoral Commission.” Ms Berejiklian, however, refused to say what action she will take if the Liberal Party identifies issues relating to Mr Williams, saying she does not want to discuss “any potential outcome”. “I’m not going to speculate on what might transpire today,” she said. “I want to say straight up that as Premier of NSW I will not tolerate any wrongdoing by anyone,” she said. Ms Berejiklian said she would be receiving an update “later in the day” and would share that update publicly.

She said she had spoken to Mr Williams “briefly” last night.

“He strongly refuted the matters that were being raised,” she said. "If there are any irregularities whatsoever, the Liberal Party will refer those matters to the relevant bodies,” she said. Ms Berejiklian also noted that the allegations were not trivial in nature. “These allegations raised today are serious, no doubt about it,” she said. Mr Williams issued a statement this morning denying having ever accepted an illegal donation “Allegations made today regarding myself are completely false and I refute them entirely,” he said in the statement. “I state for the record, I have never received an illegal donation. All donations made on behalf of a conference I have represented have been made directly to the Liberal Party of Australia, NSW Division as is required by law.

Property developer and owner of Rouse Hill Village Shopping Centre, John “Jack” Iori, who donated $990 on April 29 in 2013 confirmed to The Daily Telegraph he had many developments. This included a 10-block gated estate he developed at 32 Withers Rd in Kellyville. He said he made a yearly donation of $990. “I get on very well with Ray. I love him. I give him $990 every year,” he said. Bruce Lyon, from Lyon Group, was asked to join the club "It was the Hawkesbury Club. I get invited to go and if you belong to the club, anybody will tell ya, you get ­invited to a few nights out and it’s very interesting. Knowledgeable, in other words.” Prominent property developer Bruce Lyon, who is the founder of Lyon Group Australia, which develops commercial and residential estates, said he was invited to attend an association Mr Williams set up, but to the best of his recollection he said he declined. He donated a smaller sum of $134 on July 2 in 2012, which were tickets for a fundraiser.

Mr Lyon said he had only had one meeting in recent years with Mr Williams, at Parliament House, regarding a development in Dural. “He formed a Hawkesbury Club and someone said to me, ‘Would you like to come in?’. “And I do support the conservative party, (but) I didn’t have very much to do with it. I’ve been in the property ­development business 60-odd years and I get annoyed with this stigma that has been put on people in the industry. We are all crooks all of a sudden,:ironicat:” he said.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

That's the essential problem, they don't want wages to grow but they won't solve it the other way either.

Ah well I will just do what I'm meant to do as a white male and inherit some grossly over priced property and continue to leech what little calcium is left in this country's bones.

Cartoon posted:

I think you'll find we can all suck dicks. It isn't really all that hard to do.

They will act like they don't like it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

I went and broke down my parents' house a few months ago to get an idea of what happens with the market. This isn't crazy, they bought a nice home in a good suburb that was suitable for starting a family at the time. So the price of the house now isn't equivalent to Caroline Springs or something, but the argument stands when you look at wage growth and housing prices.

They bought a 3br in Surrey Hills VIC in 1986 for $86,000. This was around 110% of my dad's yearly income and he was ~40 years old I think.

The house is now worth $1.6m. This is 2000% of my yearly income as a 33 year old. I am not expecting my wage to grow by 2000% in the next 6 years.

If you take a similar house in the new burbs (which by comparison will be poorly built, poorly serviced and remote to employment opportunities) for $400,000 that's still 500% of my annual income. Similarly I am not expecting my wages to grow by 500% in the next 6 years.

You should get a highly paid job.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Surrey Hills is a very nice suburb. Why don't you just buy a vacant block near your parents house and build there?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Young Liberals call for more public service job cuts and new Tony Abbott-style commission of audit

The Young Liberals have called on the Turnbull government to cut more public service jobs and continue efforts to limit welfare payments, including through a new Tony Abbott-style commission of audit.

In a submission ahead of the May federal budget, Young Liberal leaders Aiden Depiazzi and Josh Manuatu call for action to drastically bring the budget back to balance and for renewed efforts to control government debt.

Along with a plan to abolish the compulsory fee paid by university students for campus services and amenities, the submission calls for a new audit commission to examine expenditure across government.

Former prime minister Tony Abbott tasked businessman Tony Shepherd with examining all government expenditure in 2014. His commission report recommended axing 15,000 public service jobs, increasing the pension age to 70, including the family home in means testing, privatisation of government agencies and the dumped GP co-payment proposal.

Mr Depiazzi, the Young Liberals' federal president, said members were concerned debt had grown beyond $500 billion, and it was unsatisfactory young Australians would be saddled with the task of repaying record amounts.

He called a renewed focus on asset sales, including through bonuses paid to state governments, and for cuts in regulation.

"I think there's significant room for government efficiencies in existing programs and one of the benefits of a re-examination would be finding areas where you could overturn existing regulation that adds existing cost to government activity."

Mr Depiazzi said the next generation of taxpayers shouldn't suffer for an overly generous welfare system and further shrinking the size of government should be a priority.

"What I think is a remarkable feature of some of the reductions in the public workforce over [the Abbott government] was that it was reasonably uncontroversial, and I think there are efficiencies that you can find in public sector employment including in terms of natural attrition," he said.

"I don't necessarily think an axe needs to be swept through but I think there are convenient and probably uncontroversial ways of closing out roles that don't necessarily add too much value, including through natural attrition."

The submission calls for a repeal of the Student Services and Amenities Fee, up to $294 in 2017, described as "a great big student tax" paid directly to student unions.

Mr Depiazzi said he was optimistic Treasurer Scott Morrison's second budget could turn around the government's political fortunes and give new direction to the Coalition.

"I have faith that, given we're reasonably early on since the election, that the government still has a lot to do.

"From the perspective of what I think young Australians are interested in, I think the election was a really good outcome because what Labor was offering was not particularly positive for young people and I think in recent times, there's a lot to be happy with as a Liberal in how the government is going," he said.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...220-gugo68.html

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
Kill your parents for the house and accept that your spawn will need to do the same. Problem solvered!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

quote:

Mr Depiazzi said he was optimistic Treasurer Scott Morrison's second budget could turn around the government's political fortunes and give new direction to the Coalition.

"I have faith that, given we're reasonably early on since the election, that the government still has a lot to do.

"From the perspective of what I think young Australians are interested in, I think the election was a really good outcome because what Labor was offering was not particularly positive for young people and I think in recent times, there's a lot to be happy with as a Liberal in how the government is going," he said.
Holy poo poo, that's some head buried in the ground poo poo there. Are they even paying attention to the disunity not just within the Coalition, but in the Liberal Party itself?

Huragok posted:

Kill your parents for the house and accept that your spawn will need to do the same. Problem solvered!
The circle of life

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

JBP posted:

+/-2 years on these years and ages and we're siblings.

My parents got their place in Surrey Hills for ~30k though on a smaller block, still worth over 1.5m now.

As someone looking for somewhere to buy and live at the moment it's depressing.

My sister got around it by moving to tassie, I'd do the same if work let me.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I'm going to move to the Snowy region. Not quite as cheap as Tasmania but a lot more accessible, and prices should skyrocket over the next 20 years with all the climate refugees moving in.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

When Eric Wu came to Australia from China in 2002 as an international student he “didn’t have much”....
He started with $80,000....
Using equity from his home to cover the deposit and costs, he bought an investment property in the area in 2010....

lmao Domain.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I have most of my networth sitting in foreign currencies precisely because of people like Eric

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you gave me $80k I'd buy so much cocaine. God drat what a dickhead.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Should I put my net worth in another currency too?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Anidav posted:

That 500$ won't go far no matter where you are

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

I suggest the Vietnamese dong.

I mean for AU$1 you get over 17,000 dong

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Expand dong?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Gold is in a bit of a dip at the moment.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

coal

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Depends if you're talking thermal or metallurgical. I recommend thermal for the best long term return on investment.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You Am I posted:

I suggest the Vietnamese dong.

I mean for AU$1 you get over 17,000 dong

https://youtu.be/R2vBZuLI3oI

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Whats the best way to deal with an apparent failure to vote notice from some local council election?

Can't really afford a fine.

Lamb_Chode
May 19, 2007

OK I'm a massive dumbass who is that, OJ?
Postal vote was lost. Thanks aus post

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

gay picnic defence posted:

Whats the best way to deal with an apparent failure to vote notice from some local council election?

Ive had a friend get their fine waived by stating that they have social anxiety and felt unable to participate in voting. They didn't ask any follow up questions, just waived the fine

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!
I'm not sure where I'm betting the failure was in my council ballot getting lost. It was either Australia Post losing it, or the VEC actually getting my ballot but being unable to read my handwriting.

This, more than anything else I see (and I see a lot), makes me hate a democratic process. I did my part and voted, it's these assholes that hosed it up and lost my vote, and yet I'm the one that's supposed to foot the bill.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Here's your 1 euro sir.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I'm not sure where I'm betting the failure was in my council ballot getting lost. It was either Australia Post losing it, or the VEC actually getting my ballot but being unable to read my handwriting.

This, more than anything else I see (and I see a lot), makes me hate a democratic process. I did my part and voted, it's these assholes that hosed it up and lost my vote, and yet I'm the one that's supposed to foot the bill.

This will do nicely, thank you very much!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Thats not a failure of democracy, thats a failure of a government dept

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

This will do nicely, thank you very much!

I haven't tested this 'gently caress you guys this is your fault' defense and so can't recommend it, although I'm ready to try if I have to. What I actually responded with was 'I put my ballot in a Southbank postbox 1-2 weeks before the deadline, I would have liked non-postal methods but was not aware of any'.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Thats not a failure of democracy, thats a failure of a government dept

That handles a democratic process! Honestly while I may be struggling with wording a little here, it's still a really annoying and frustrating thing that's more directly demoralizing about politics than anything else I've experienced. You can submit your ballot and do everything right, and not even have your vote there to be counted because someone you have and will never meet somewhere along the chain hosed up. And then they try to blame you for it.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
from the experience of myself and friends they will basically accept any excuse for a local election

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Cleretic posted:

I haven't tested this 'gently caress you guys this is your fault' defense and so can't recommend it, although I'm ready to try if I have to. What I actually responded with was 'I put my ballot in a Southbank postbox 1-2 weeks before the deadline, I would have liked non-postal methods but was not aware of any'.

That handles a democratic process! Honestly while I may be struggling with wording a little here, it's still a really annoying and frustrating thing that's more directly demoralizing about politics than anything else I've experienced. You can submit your ballot and do everything right, and not even have your vote there to be counted because someone you have and will never meet somewhere along the chain hosed up. And then they try to blame you for it.

If you think this is the most demoralising thing about democracy you should perhaps take a glance at who gets elected at some point.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

starkebn posted:

from the experience of myself and friends they will basically accept any excuse for a local election

australia post lost is pretty hard to disprove

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

I failed to vote in the 2008 federal election, didn't pay the fine and when the AEC sent a summons I just wrote "Return to Sender" on it and mailed it right back. Never heard from them again about the matter and I've since changed my address on the electoral roll twice and voted in all federal elections since.

So yeah, just try ignoring it?

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

I was overseas in China and Mongolia for a month and was issued a fine. I just said I was in the middle of a desert during the election and already overseas when the early voting option was available. .

They didn't ask for proof and waived it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"Get hosed" works fine since it's not in the government's interest to actually prosecute non voters since there are millions of anti compulsory voting dudes waiting to emerge from the woodwork.

• Locked thread