Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I think if Conor trains hard for 2 years straight, continues to improve at his current rate and has no distractions, he could probably take all 5 rounds against Nate Diaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

no doubt gsp would show up to the fight in good form but i think conor would win handily .. im sure gsp works hard even when he just trains for fun but he will be rusty from the lack of competition no matter what

edit: and its not like tkz vs bermudez where tkz was rusty but better enough to win anyway. conor is roughly the best fighter right now give or take

He'd probably be on his back for 5 rounds unless GSP is remarkably slower than he used to be.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He'd probably be on his back for 5 rounds unless GSP is remarkably slower than he used to be.

he will be slower is my point. at least in his first fight back

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
gsp has talked about 155 for the past million years but i don't see it ever ever happening

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ditch posted:

Wouldn't it be another boring ground control exercise like GSP vs Diaz, which for some reason people are clamoring to see a rematch of? Conor got taken down by Chad$, who is 20-30 pounds smaller than GSP, doesn't have as good a top game, and doesn't train with Olympic wrestlers.

I'll grant that GSP fights are more likely to be good and cool than Mayweather fights, but in both cases I'm amazed that there is hype for fights that are likely to be really boring and one-sided (GSP vs Diaz 2, GSP vs Conor, Mayweather vs anyone).

diaz not only survived he made gsp work enough that gsp got tired . nicks got one of the best guards for not taking hits. Conor would have to be pretty hard to control on the ground to make it to diaz levels of success

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
GSP beat Hughes and BJ, two living legends, and also before the serra fight he was aggressive, doing things only he could do, and dramatically finishing people.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Dangersim posted:

I don't really like either but belts don't mean as much anymore.

why do you think that about belts?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Diaz very successfully did to GSP what he does against basically everyone now, which is make the other guy look kinda bad, while losing the fight

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

SquirrelGrip posted:

why do you think that about belts?

It's a post conor world. It's becoming more like boxing where it's about big fights, less about belts. The biggest welterweight fight of the year was between 2 lightweights. Like I said I don't really like it either but it is what it is.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Diaz spent the entire fight turtling and threatening a knee bar that he never got close too. I haven't seen it in a while but that's what I remember.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
gsp got tired from nick turtling from what I remember, and gsp was either forced or chose to give up trying to grapple nick anymore for the last 2 rounds

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Yeah, I remember GSP staying out of his guard and Nick saying he could have won a street fight, because turtling is more effective when it's on cement

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Thebeast_ufc/status/834164801769201666

foot broke

s'broken

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bundt Cake posted:

gsp got tired from nick turtling from what I remember, and gsp was either forced or chose to give up trying to grapple nick anymore for the last 2 rounds

There's was this point in the 3rd where gsp was slowing down and Nick started landing a bunch of shots and it looked like he was gonna get diaz'd. Then he took him down and that was the end of that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
^^^Yeah I remember that moment being really cool. Conor did a similar, less convincing version of that in the 2nd Diaz fight.

GSP outgrappled the poo poo out of Diaz but he had to work really hard to do it.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

vainman posted:

Yeah, I remember GSP staying out of his guard and Nick saying he could have won a street fight, because turtling is more effective when it's on cement

He thought gsp must have had a spy because he was so good at defending the knee bar. This was after his last fight when condit had repeatedly tried the same thing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

He thought gsp must have had a spy because he was so good at defending the knee bar. This was after his last fight when condit had repeatedly tried the same thing.

And he trains with a bunch of jiu jitsu dudes who are famous for leg locks.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Dangersim posted:

Haha i forgot about the spy thing

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Dangersim posted:

It's a post conor world. It's becoming more like boxing where it's about big fights, less about belts. The biggest welterweight fight of the year was between 2 lightweights. Like I said I don't really like it either but it is what it is.

I think as of right now this really only applies to Conor and his ability to draw with or without a belt on the line, and consequently have much more pull at the negotiation table with the UFC in regard to who and when he will fight.

He's really the only fighter, this might end up being true for GSP now that he's back, that could headline a PPV event that consists of a fight against a short notice replacement opponent with nothing on the line but pride and have it end up being the second highest selling PPV of all time. Some of those numbers also have to be attributed to Diaz. He's obviously not as big a draw as Conor but the Diaz bros both have large followings and Nate getting the win in the first fight let them set up a rematch that sold just as well.

I think we'll know in a few years time if it's really true that we're past the era of belts being meaningful period, but they still seem important for everyone not named Conor McGregor. Just look at Cody Garbrandt. He was on the rise sure, but once he handily dethroned Cruz and became champ he's become way more popular. He has nearly one million followers on Instagram. 135 itself is a really fun division specifically because you've got an awesome new champ in Cody, two guys that could be champ again in Cruz and TJ, and guys like Almeida, Lineker, and Riviera coming up behind them.

manyak posted:

Someone also drugged him.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 22, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

manyak posted:

It's called a Danaher.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

He's funny, but this is creepy

https://twitter.com/Thebeast_ufc/status/834135312246964225

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Yeah that's kinda lovely

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That's a bit like hitting a man while he's down

with your elbows

repeatedly

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Black Snake Moana.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
so is it confirmed yet that lewis grabbing his tummy after every body shot was just browne knocking his poops around uncomfortably?

i think that card had the starkest contrast between the fun moments and the painfully boring moments that i've seen in a while. watching browne get ko'd is always satisfying and i'm always happy to see lombard lose, but then a bunch of fights were just plaintive striking exchanges with not much happening and randa markos used the back pain striking technique but still won for some reason.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
youre only mad because you lack the practical guru skills to photoshop the heads of James Thompson and you into the same picture

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

cis autodrag posted:

so is it confirmed yet that lewis grabbing his tummy after every body shot was just browne knocking his poops around uncomfortably?

Having to take a poo poo is not something they do an in competition/post fight test for to the best of my knowledge, so we will probably just have to take his word for it

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

black snake moan is a movie about a magical negro saving a girl from her dark sexual nature by chaining her to a radiator. i have no comment about the tweet.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

TheRationalRedditor posted:

youre only mad because you lack the practical guru skills to photoshop the heads of James Thompson and you into the same picture

Yea, I had to befriend him irl, way more work.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

If its a story about a white girl making GBS threads in the woods to escape her demons you cant exactly say its inaccurate.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

BlindSite posted:

If its a story about a white girl making GBS threads in the woods to escape her demons you cant exactly say its inaccurate.

lol

red19fire
May 26, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

black snake moan is a movie about a magical negro saving a girl from her dark sexual nature by chaining her to a radiator. i have no comment about the tweet.

Metaphorically Derrick is trying to save her from GFC/Browne's awful influence, by savagely beating Travis on television. The radiator represents 'literally anyone but GFC/Browne.'

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I never saw the film. Is it cringey like when Stephen King has pre-teens loving or cringey in the magical negro trope way?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

I never saw the film. Is it cringey like when Stephen King has pre-teens loving or cringey in the magical negro trope way?

The latter. A magical swamp negro who heals with his blues guitar. Played by Samuel L Jackson.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

BlindSite posted:

:lol:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

cis autodrag posted:

The latter. A magical swamp negro who heals with his blues guitar. Played by Samuel L Jackson.

Worth a watch? Green Mile showed the trope works when done well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

cis autodrag posted:

If I were coaching Lewis' next opponent, part of the game plan would definitely be to test him with body kicks again. They were open for Browne even after Lewis was taking care to cover up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

Worth a watch?

nahh

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Captain Log posted:

Worth a watch? Green Mile showed the trope works when done well.

no. i only saw it because the dvd was 49 cents when the blockbuster went out of business. i overpaid by at least 50 cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

This is great news

• Locked thread