Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It feels like a lot of Birthright's shtick for characters is "can be very good if they luck into a couple of low-growth stats, but left wanting otherwise". Kaze needs a bit of strength, Hana needs hp/def (doesn't have to become a tank, just enough to not die when sheezed on), and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, Hana and Subaki are weird units. Hana at least has some elements of a normal myrmidon unit but with terrifyingly low HP and defense growths. Subaki, on the other hand? He doesn't know what he wants to do outside of giving you a pegasus right off the bat like games past have done. I guess the joke is that even though he claims to be perfect, Subaki is in fact not perfect when it comes to growths? :shrug:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Bruceski posted:

It feels like a lot of Birthright's shtick for characters is "can be very good if they luck into a couple of low-growth stats, but left wanting otherwise". Kaze needs a bit of strength, Hana needs hp/def (doesn't have to become a tank, just enough to not die when sheezed on), and so on.

Sometimes I feel like the stats on Birthright units were Dawn Brigade rejects that somebody found lying around and decided to recycle

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016
A decent number of Birthright's units, as well as a few in Conquest, have growth rates that do not at all match their class. Rinkah and Subaki are great examples. Rinkah is in a class designed to be a cross of Fighter and Knight, she has awful Str and Hp growths. Subaki is a re-branded Pegasus Knight, a class known for high Spd and Res, he is tied for the lowest Res growth, and is among the worst in Spd. The class change system could theoretically help some of these units, but these units typically have equally bad options. Rinkah makes a pretty bad ninja, and Subaki doesn't change much with Samurai. You can try to use Friendship or Partner Seals, but it takes awhile to build support, and there are some really strange decisions on what classes some units get from these Seals.

Meanwhile, the Royals generally have excellent growths across the board, as well as good to great personal skills, and sometimes even overpowered personal weapons just to really put them over the top. It's not like it's uncommon in Fire Emblem to have units that completely overshadow others, but too many of these units are poorly thought out, and could be made better if they were just in another class, or had their growth rates reflect what their class actually wants.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Guess I've always just gotten lucky with Hana, as she's always turned out great for me...

I just fed her every Hp and Def item I could. Fixed her right up.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Woof, that HP growth. I know she's a speedster, but until you have a large enough squad to cover her she's going to be a liability.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I'd consider Subaki a hell of a lot better than Hana. Hana needs to be babied and she's got some real strong competition with the other swordmasters. Subaki on the other hand has a good class and can contribute later on even if his growths aren't too hot. I don't usually like peg knights because of their slow start but Subaki's start is real good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Part 3

Okay, I'm seriously going to count these "Willing deaths" from this point, cause this is ridic

No. This isn't right.
What are you waiting for?
You seemed hesitant to attack us, even as you led your army into battle. Why were you holding back? Because we were friends?
Ugh...
Aren't you here on king Garon's orders? Did you even intend to defeat us?
Corrin... some things are more important than following orders.
You're going to need to be clearer than that, or I will finish you off!

Whoah, easy there killer.

I still can't believe you don't remember.
We used to played together. You always said how badly you wanted to see the world... So one day I made us a picnic and snuck you out for a few hours to explore. I even packed your favorite meal: Surf and turf! I knew taking you beyond the walls was forbidden, but... I also knew how much it would mean to you. The guards tried to execute me when we returned but you wouldn't let them do it.
Gods! That does ring a bell...

How the hell did you forget all that? :psyduck:

Silas... Silas... Yes, of course! I do remember a childhood friend by that name.
One who helped me explore outside the walls that bound me.
Yes! that's it! What else?
Only bits and pieces at the moment... But I have a proposal for you. You say you would sacrifice your own life for mine?
Indeed.
Very well. Then join forces with me. I know you are a knight of Nohr... and you may not believe what I'm about to say... But King Garon has gone absolutely mad!
He gave me a cursed sword and sent me off to be captured by the Hoshidans. Knowing, of course, that I would be brought before my mother. She was killed when the sword exploded. I would have been too...
I...I don't believe it...

"He even planned a lady turning into a dragon saving me when he programmed the sword to fling me off the canyon!"

"Uh...I...don't...believe it?"

I can't forgive his actions against Hoshido. And I will never return to Nohr.
You must think I'm manipulating you.
No, Corrin... I believe you. You've spared my life twice now. I have no reason to doubt your story.
Then you will join us?
Yes. Perhaps together we can bring peace to this world someday.
That is my aim, Silas. I promise that I will never deviate from the cause.
I can't believe this is happening!

*Suddenly, two people arrive*

Saizo, Orochi... What happened to you? You're both wounded!
Our wounds are nothing. but as for Lord Ryoma and Lord Takumi—
What?! What happened to them?
They're missing. Last anyone saw them, they were headed to Izumo. It's possible they were captured en route. I hate to think of the alternative...
No! No, no, no, no...
Lady Sakura, please take a deep breath. Saizo, Orochi...
Please tell me you're joking.

I blame myself. I should have been at Lord Ryoma's side every step of the way.
Pardon me, but you must be Lord Corrin, yes? I'm Orochi. I used to serve as a diviner for Lady Mikoto. It seems it would serve a common purpose for our army to join forces. Our tactician, Yukimura, is readying the troops to march on Izumo. Time is of the essence! Will you join us in search of Lord Ryoma and Lord Takumi?
Yes, of course. We'll support you in any way that we can.
Thank you, Lord Corrin.
I'm coming with you.
Lady Sakura, I strongly recommenced that you reconsider. The battlefield near the border is highly dangerous, and—

If there's anything I can do to help my brothers, I need to be in position to do it.
I'm so sorry Sakura. But I'm afraid I agree with Kaze...

We are taking a healer, goddamnit. Don't you do this to me.

It's understandable she would want to accompany us. With my help I believe we can provide adequate protection...
Very well. I won't try to stop you, Sakura. I just hope you understand the risks.
Thank you, Corrin. I do.
Will you be joining us as well, Silas?
Yes, I will join you.
Although, I must say that I didn't expect to be pressed into service THIS quickly...

You'd really allow this backstabbing Nohrian scum to accompany us.
This is not your call, Saizo. And besides, if we abandon him here, he dies. That is not the Hoshidan way.
Is the Hoshidan way to allow a potential spy access to our party? I will follow Corrin's lead...for now. But I will keep my eyes wide open.

...Wait, are they open now or something?

Saizo!
Brother, Corrin spared my life when I was a prisoner in Nohr. I assure you that we can trust his judgement.
Oh, please. A five-year-old wouldn't be fooled by such an obvious setup.
I appreciate your skepticism, Saizo.
I hope you'll give me a chance to prove you wrong.

Corrin, we really must press on. Every second counts!
Right, let's get moving.

Units Joined

Silas

Class sets: Starts as Cavalier, Mercenary
PSkill: Vow of Friendship-If the Avatar is an ally, when the Avatar is under half HP, user’s damage +3 and damage received -3

Growth Rates
HP: 50
STR: 60
MAG: 5
SKL: 60
SPD: 50
LCK: 55
DEF: 50
RES: 30

"Crap, we gave the player two underwhelming units to the party. Let's give him a monster unit to make up for it."

Yeah, Silas is awesome. Not only is he your first Cavalier, he has amazing growths and an incredibly PSkill that powers him up to a hurtful wall of destruction.

Saizo

Class sets: Starts as Ninja, Samurai
PSkill: Pyrotechnics-When user triggers the battle at under half HP, the user and enemies within a 2 tile radius have their HP reduced by 20%

Growth Rates
HP: 45
STR: 55
MAG: 45
SKL: 80
SPD: 50
LCK: 55
DEF: 50
RES: 25

While Kaze is basically capping SPD absurdly fast, Saizo is honestly a better brother everywhere else. Great STR and DEF growths, though weak RES growth to balance him out. You can never have too many ninjas honestly, and Saizo certainly isn't a burden.

Orochi

Class sets: Starts as Diviner, Apothecary
PSkill: Capture-When there is a Prison in My Castle, the user can select the “Capture” command. If a generic enemy is defeated, they will be sent to the Prison

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 10
MAG: 80
SPD: 30
LCK: 40
DEF: 25
RES: 55

Capture is a mechanic I'll go over in the next MyCastle update.

As for Orochi, she has one thing on her mind and that is big, nuclear damage once. She will gain MAG and RES and gods praise you if you get anything else.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think this counts as a jape. :confused:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I like Saizo's artwork because it no matter what he's saying it fits for the text, he can look stern when he's talking all grizzled but when he gets sarcastic like that picture it does make him look like he's hiding a grin

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
While the Nohr's sure seem to have their minds in the wrong places they sure know their stats :catstare:

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Despite Silas being a fairly good unit, I don't think I ever bothered with him outside part of my first playthrough since I wasn't too big a fan of his character and supports. I am a big fan of Saizo, however, both as a unit and a character, and he's generally my go-to ninja in the routes he's available in.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It's worth noting that Birthright Silias is just better than his Conquest counterpart for a reason we haven't been shown yet that gives him an absurdly strong start in this campaign for basically no reason. So yeah, Birthright Silias is a great unit.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Tae posted:

Orochi

Growth Rates
HP: 35
STR: 10
MAG: 80
SPD: 30
LCK: 40
DEF: 25
RES: 55

Hey, I think I found Lilina's big sister.

Holy crap, what is up with the Hoshido stat growth?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Hey, I think I found Lilina's big sister.

Holy crap, what is up with the Hoshido stat growth?

It's funny you think this is only a Hoshido thing, though I'll grant that they skew further to the extremes on the whole.

Also, toss me in as finding Hana usable, whereas Subaki is complete junk. While Hana has terrifying durability issues, you get an item in this very chapter to help fix that (Seraph's Robe), and her offensive growths along with the bonuses from certain Katanas (along with Samurai/Swordmaster bonuses) means she can actually kill units quickly and in at least some safety.

Meanwhile, Subaki is slightly survivable and that's it - assuming no one aims magic at him or is fast. You'll note that his class set is Sky Knight/Samurai so his Def growth, while nice, is still never going to break 50% because both of them add 0 to that (45 is his base rate), and his Res is utter trash (5% base, Sky Knight gives 20, Samurai gives 10). Meanwhile, for his offensive stats, both his Str and Spd growths are utterly incapable of getting above 40% (Str is universally 40, Spd varies 35-40). To drive the point home, he's actually got lower starting Str/Spd than Hana too, despite being a level higher. So, all-in-all, he's got stats suitable for a defensive character but an offensive class set, and does neither well as the growths don't synergize at all. So you need items for multiple stats if you don't get lucky with RNG, and none of them come now, unlike the Robe.

This is just judging them side by side of course, as mechanically you just got handed a bunch of units probably better than both anyways so you don't necessarily have to use either.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Really, as with any FE ranking discussion, individual results are going to depend heavily on your personal RNG. Also on items available; I've probably got enough boosts from the My Castle visits (up to 1100 visits and 500 battles) to turn anyone into a beefcake, if not for Elixir Syndrome and "what if I gave Kaze str boosts but he roilled it later but was already capped?" I don't think I've ever managed to use a stat boost until just before the final boss, or at least close enough to it that I know who my A-team is gonna be.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Okay, my character thoughts for the new recruits:

Subaki - He's okay as a stopgap or a filler unit, but for some reason I just can't get him to grow past around 14 in any stat. That's TRASH by endgame. As a character... he's annoying, since he's always going on about being perfect when his character sheet tells me he SUCKS (on top of his gloating being annoying on its own).

Hana - Squishy, but really fast, as one might expect from a Myrmidon (I don't care what the game calls them). Character-wise... meh.

Silas - Silas is a beast on par with royalty, and shows up very well-armed to boot. I kinda like him as a character, to be honest.

Saizo - This guy is a top-tier unit, except for his self-damaging personal; it is no exaggeration to say that he has the highest overall growths in the game, BAR NONE. Too bad that he's pretty bland as a character...

Orochi - She's a pure caster, and it shows. She hasn't had a chance to show it yet, but she's kind of a troll; how much I like that depends largely on who she's talking to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Subaki flies and has decent defense base, so he's one of the best units in Birthright.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

Subaki flies and has decent defense base, so he's one of the best units in Birthright.

Maybe I'm just being RNG screwed, but as I already said I can't get him to grow well at ALL.

That said, he still isn't the character that hates me the most... I'll tell you when that one shows up.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Orochi may have excellent power and accuracy, but that speed is terrifyingly low for a caster. Coupled with her paper-thin defenses, she's got worse defensive potential than Hana unless she's fighting a mage. Her blessing is that there aren't a lot of absurdly fast enemies in Birthright and that it's very easy to give +SPD with its cast.

Subaki is a bit of an experiment, but while he has easier early use than Rinkah, he generally turns out worse because he's going to struggle to kill anything after a while while Rinkah will at least be able to use her Personal to help accentuate her damage (also her being able to go Ninja means she can always go be a chipper).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Subaki might be your 15th best character if you exclude kids. Being a sky knight isn't that much of an advantage in birthright.

Though it's not like anyone is unplayable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he flies and is in a game with pair-up

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Endorph posted:

he flies and is in a game with pair-up

That just makes him a good chauffeur. He'd only be a good unit if he could fight well on top of that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

That just makes him a good chauffeur. He'd only be a good unit if he could fight well on top of that.

I dunno, he's not my favorite unit and pretty mediocre overall IMO since there are three other fliers without reclassing, but saying a unit's only good if they can fight is kind of silly, given dancers/healers and rallybots and all.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

...saying a unit's only good if they can fight is kind of silly, given dancers/healers and rallybots and all.

True, but Subaki is none of those so what I said applies anyway.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Back in my day we called pairing up rescuing and it made you worse not better

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Subaki's fine. His bases and Darting Blow are good enough to double a lot of things early on, he can ferry, and he easily promotes to Falcon Knight once he stops being able to kill things so that he can function as a mobile staffer/rallier.

He's hardly going to be the best unit (the other pegasus outclasses him 85%), but he's fine early on, at least he'll still have some use down the road even if RNG turns out poorly. Meanwhile a bad Hana is pretty much dead weight after a couple chapters. If Birthright was actually a harder game his utility would be lot more useful.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

ApplesandOranges posted:

...he easily promotes to Falcon Knight once he stops being able to kill things so that he can function as a mobile staffer/rallier.

Or you could just use someone who STARTS as a healer (or Orochi, for that matter- she promotes into a staff-user too) and not only get more mileage out of the staff, but also HAVE A BETTER FIGHTER THAN HIM. I mean, being able to heal doesn't mean much when you have to walk (or fly, as the case may be) into an enemy's reach to do it (the enemy would just switch targets and probably one-shot him, especially if bows are involved), and I'm not wasting my Physics by giving them to a mediocre healer, let alone a bad one like Subaki. As to rallying, it'd take too much effort to teach him enough different Rally skills to matter, and there're better rally-bots anyway (for example, anyone with a Rally-based personal skill). In short: No matter what role you want to use him for, Subaki is outperformed by at least 3 different units, and doesn't even have the saving grace of prolonged lack of competition.

Speaking of fliers and bows, though, one thing I like to do to prevent the issue I mentioned above: Go online, find a version of the flier in question that knows Bowbreaker, and buy it for my own. Easy fix, really- even if they're still technically weak to bows, it doesn't matter if the bows never HIT, right?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I've done solo class (ish, I would allow for both of the promotional classes, just so long as the skills used were only native to the class) challenges in Birthright, a Ninja and a Spear Fighter one, and Subaki ended up as being playable in both of them. And in both, he was honestly one of my better units. He was always reliably tanky, and while no one really cares about skill, his high skill meant he was particularly crit-happy.

(I also had Rinkah for both and she was garbage every time.)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Camel Pimp posted:

I've done solo class (ish, I would allow for both of the promotional classes, just so long as the skills used were only native to the class) challenges in Birthright, a Ninja and a Spear Fighter one, and Subaki ended up as being playable in both of them. And in both, he was honestly one of my better units. He was always reliably tanky, and while no one really cares about skill, his high skill meant he was particularly crit-happy.

(I also had Rinkah for both and she was garbage every time.)

...Okay, did you hack his growths or just save-scum? I mean, he's got a pretty bad growth in Defense, unimpressive to bad HP, Resistance even worse than his Defense, insufficient Speed to compensate for his frailty... basically, Subaki's the ANTI-tank. Forget durable, the only way I'd buy him being even REMOTELY relevant by endgame outside of a FLUKE (or save-scumming) is if you started spamming stat boosters on him.

I've already mentioned that I find Rinkah to be an underrated unit, but it bears repeating: While her innate growths don't really fit her default class all that well, she isn't a DISASTER at it either (unlike what Subaki has been established to be- and sadly, in my experience he isn't even the biggest failure). Besides, it's already been mentioned that she makes a quite credible tank if you can just get her some HP (and I'm pretty sure that's the easiest stat to improve through permanent boosters, if necessary), which makes her perfectly usable on its own.

And before you complain about me bringing up stat boosters: I'm only referring to using ONE type of stat booster, in quantities easily obtainable through normal gameplay, to stabilize a single bad stat in an otherwise-credible unit (two or three HP boosters isn't all that much to ask, is it?), NOT advocating farming about 500 of each to cap everything for everyone in every class.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

And now we have our Christmas Cavaliers together again finally! Except they're ninjas this time. Speaking of the actual cavalier, yes Silas is drat good. A good mounted class plus a decent reclass option in Mercenary, how can you go wrong with him? Oh right, his join time in Revelation isn't all that great, even if he's the best/second best person you get on that stage.

Orochi...oof. Her speed growth is by far one of the lowest in the game (only Gunter and one other Conquest character have a lower speed growth), and I have yet to have an Orochi with more than 18 speed total (including promotion bonuses). She'd be a nice magical nuke, but she's so slow and brittle that I find that it's better to train someone else over her.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

...Okay, did you hack his growths or just save-scum? I mean, he's got a pretty bad growth in Defense, unimpressive to bad HP, Resistance even worse than his Defense, insufficient Speed to compensate for his frailty... basically, Subaki's the ANTI-tank. Forget durable, the only way I'd buy him being even REMOTELY relevant by endgame outside of a FLUKE (or save-scumming) is if you started spamming stat boosters on him.

That is just not at all true. Subaki is tied for the highest HP Growth in Birthright, which is 3rd for all units in the game. His Def is tied for the highest in Birthright (it is literally the same as Rinkah), and 3rd for all units in the game. It is true that his Spd and Res are bad, but you are strictly wrong about HP and Def. Subaki in Spear Fighter, which is what Camel Pimp was talking about, can be an alright unit.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, I noticed the growth rate you gave for Subaki's defenses is wrong. It's 45, not 30.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 22, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fixed, but seriously guys it's Birthright Hard. This ain't Conquest where there's actual consequence to using bad units without greatly expending resources.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
My Hana was a glass cannon monster- she kept hitting her strength, speed, and skill growths, and she got enough HP and Defense to get by. There was one particular random drop that I basically glued to her hands, which helped immensely with blink-tanking- the Sunrise Katana, the one that gives +20 avoid While it meant I never got all that much use out of her Personal Skill, it made her a very reliable eraser- I could point her at a unit I wanted dead, and she'd clear it out, most likely without taking a hit in the process. As part of a general advance with other units to ensure she didn't take too much fire on the enemy phase, she was very reliable.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, I noticed the growth rate you gave for Subaki's defenses is wrong. It's 45, not 30.

Okay, fine, I'll admit I might've been somewhat wrong about his Defense and HP growths, but to be fair I was arguing from the point of view of someone who levels units to 20/20 in classes they NATURALLY have access to, and frankly Subaki's default class set, unlike Rinkah's base class, does literally nothing to improve his ability to take a hit. Admittedly, that isn't what those classes are supposed to do in the first place, but if you can't take a hit then you need to be able to AVOID them instead, and Subaki's got issues on that front too (his innate Speed growth is nearly as bad as OROCHI'S, which is completely unforgivable for his class set).

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh, and does it bother any one else that Saizo's magic growth is really high for a non-mage character... and he has no way to really use it barring marrying a mage. I mean, he's got ONE hidden weapon, and that's it. I mean, mages are pretty bad in this game in general (which breaks my little heart...) but Saizo's base magic growth is on par or even better than a lot of mages in the game.

ohmygorgon
Jul 13, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh, and does it bother any one else that Saizo's magic growth is really high for a non-mage character... and he has no way to really use it barring marrying a mage. I mean, he's got ONE hidden weapon, and that's it. I mean, mages are pretty bad in this game in general (which breaks my little heart...) but Saizo's base magic growth is on par or even better than a lot of mages in the game.

It is rather strange. Saizo's growths are crazy, but they are not particularly good for a Ninja. He really can be good/great in any class, but when you compare Saizo to Kaze as Ninjas, I would rather have Kaze, who is better at what Ninjas were designed to do, taking out mages. Hidden Weapons are good enough that it doesn't really matter if Saizo is a worse Ninja, because there is no such thing as too many Ninjas, but he is really better suited to just about anything but Ninja.

It is frustrating that Saizo's secondary class is Samurai, because it is really not that much different than Ninja, in terms of not taking advantage of his growths, but like I said before, units class options can be baffling at times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

First business here is to get a new building up and running. Mess Hall gives buffs to half the team via cooking, but that's not needed for now. Lottery Shop time!

Main reason is because the more opportunities for free stuff, the better.

Drats. Got a Pearl which is forging material, but I don't have a forge yet. Still, better than food I guess.

EAT, FISH DRAGON THINGIE

Wait, how

Subaki found a Bamboo Yumi-E rank, 4 mt, 10 avoid, 10 crit dodge. 3 worse mt than a bronze yumi, I dunno. Useful if you can't afford bows for some reason.

No, I don't think you can use the Harp Yumi, Silas.

D rank, 6 mt, does Rally RES+4 after battle. An early, situational RES bonus but mages are easy to handle between Kaze and Felicia at this point.

Let's take at our three new recruits

Silas is strong and tanky, and brings with him our first Javelin. The 1-2 melee weapons got heavily nerfed as I mentioned, giving -3 spd when equipped. While Silas is bulky, he ain't that tough enough to wily-nily keep the Javelin equipped at all times.

Orochi gives no fucks about this STR stat. Her bases aren't that spectacular, which is troubling when her only real reliable growths are MAG and RES.

Rat Spirit-E rank, 3 mt, +1 SKL, can't proc stuff like all bronze weapons

Saizo has some solid bases, and brings two new Shurikens.

Brass Shuriken-E rank, 2 mt, can't proc stuff like all bronze weapons, debuffs SKL/SPD -1, DEF/RES -2.

Steel Shuriken-C rank, 7 mt, debuffs -3 STR, DEF/RES -4

Steel Shuriken is absurdly unfair. Almost double the power of an Iron Shuriken, decreases the physical might of any enemy, AND the -3 doubling penalty is reduced because Hoshidan weapon bonus gives +2 SPD to all Shurikens.

We could try and rescue Ryoma and Takumi, but there's new new sidequest that opened up.

Run, Mozu! Please, dear! Run and don't look back!
Mother, no! Take my hand! We'll run together!
GRRAH...HRRGLL!

*Faceless slashes*

Aaarghhhh!
NO! MOTHER!

We've got trouble, all right! This village is under attack by the Faceless.
But this place has been ravaged. We're too late!
No! There must be some survivors. With any luck, some people escaped, but if there's even one left here somewhere....Let's get searching, everyone!

Map is just filled with Faceless, though thankfully they're all pretty generic and don't have the nasty stuff like Poison Strike back in chapter 4.

This is real objective of the mission, and unlike Donny who starts joined and requires a level up to be recruited. Mozu just needs to be spoken to by Corrin.

Her stats are still incredibly bad enough to be destroyed by the surrounding Faceless, and they will run at her eventually if I don't hurry up.

Rinkah, Subaki, and Saizo are sitting out because they're the highest leveled people. Gotta take advantage of simple 1 range enemies while I can.

They're all dead...I'm alone. Nowhere to go! And those monsters....They're coming back for me...

These things are giant HP sponges that Kaze and Felicia are mandatory to get anything done in less than 3 attacks.

The worst thing you realize is that Duelist's Blow is making this forecast WAY better than it actually is. A dodge tank is getting 60+ percent chance of getting hit.

Nothing special so far.

The bad thing about Dragon form is that Dragon Fang is just a standard headbutt. Not even fire breath or something different.

How do you keep gaining SPD but not DEF

I specifically chose SPD as your bane

Hana, please for the love of gods just dodge

HANA

WHY

This is sadly probably the only way Hana avoids damage at this point

Hana's only hope at this point is somehow getting a billion HP in a row

Corrin sped past everyone and recruits Mozu.

Waugh! No! My mother...My friends...
I'm here to help. Where are they?
My mother wouldn't take my hand. She's...she's...
I'm so sorry.
But there's no time to grieve. Not now. Stay behind me. I'll keep you safe.

For all my friends! For everything those monsters took from me!

Well, certainly not as chill as Donny that's for sure

The Faceless is bulky in both physical and resistance, though Orochi's meh speed doesn't help.

Scrolls are very cool Fates with the fanciest animation for slinging simple spells. Definitely one of the unique touches Hoshidan stuff has brought over.

Mozu grinning at her opportunity for ULTIMATE REVENGE*

*revenge requires multiple debuffs from Kaze

Orrrr maybe she's not ready for killing just yet.

HP and STR, happy days for everyone!

Felicia also gains a level from chipping away with debuffs. She has obscene MAG and SPD at this point, 15 each.

The party moves on to the remains of the village, where big boss guy is sitting in place.

Orochi's been key for Mozu to get kills because she's safely chipping away at just the right damage thresholds.

Risky as hell. One miss and Mozu's dead.

REVENGE

GODDAMNIT HANA

Um, but what do I do now? They took my mother...My life.
You must have some family near here. We'll be glad to take you there.
There's no one. I couldn't even start over here by myself. All the homes, fields...It's all destroyed. But I wouldn't want to stay here even if it wasn't.

Listen, we'll take you in. We can't replace all those you've lost. But we'll take care of you.
I can join your group?
Yes, but only until we find you a safe place to call home. Our group...a family of sorts...is bound by a dangerous cause. We go from one battle to the next, ever in peril. That's no life for you.
I'm not afraid. I can help. I might even save you or your friends.

Yes, of course. I have to admit, you sound just like one of us already.
I'll do my best. And I'll stay safe. After all, Mother's watching over me now.

Units Joined

Mozu

Class sets: Starts as Villager, Archer
PSkill: Forager-When standing on Mountain, Woods, Waste or Field terrain, the user recovers 20% HP at the start of the turn

Growth Rates (With Aptitude)
HP: 50
STR: 60
MAG: 15
SKL: 70
SPD: 75
LCK: 75
DEF: 55
RES: 40

I'll go over the Villager class as well since Mozu's the only one. Aptitude's been nerfed from Awakening, only giving 10% instead of 20%. Not that it hurts Mozu because her growths are still incredibly good, especially in Fates when growths are usually on the lower side in context.

That said, she's pretty decent once you get past her slow start. Villager is an actual class which has its own promotion branch. The only weakness is that she is a lance user in Birthright, a game absurdly filled with incredible lance users so it's a matter of space and dedication to get her running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Mozu being bad at lances is frankly irrelevant because you can change her into an archer at will at which point she becomes a thousand times more usable. Plus, the other archer you get (that isn't Takumi) is kinda trash so...

• Locked thread