Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
It's entirely because of the whole carp->dragon myth thing, I think.

I imagine there wasn't quite as intentional or interesting an origin for most of uranium's brood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GeneX posted:

I imagine there wasn't quite as intentional or interesting an origin for most of uranium's brood

Someone has never heard of the "weird dumb brown ball with a face wearing a helmet with ears that has a spring sticking out of the top that might supposed to be a bomb but who the gently caress can tell let alone why" myth before.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GeneX posted:

I think it's a little that and a little "hey this is a bit of a pain in the rear end but if you level up this literally helpless fish critter you get a totally cool dragon"

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Zore posted:

It looks like a roided clown on the brink of death. Its one of the only pokemon I find really repulsive (along with Stantler, Tympole, Mr. Mime and loving Diggersby)

:colbert:

I always thought of the Conkeldurr family as overly muscular dogfaces (the kind of non-human humanoid species Goofy is supposed to be). Also what do you have against Stantler? I mean its boring as all sin, but "repulsive" isn't the first word that comes to mind.

Also if I had to redesign that iron ball thing, I'd make it a pure Steel type and have it resemble an actual iron ball and chain, spikes are optional. We have so few pure Steel types as it is so having that would make it stand out in that aspect.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
I just looked up the tympole line on bulbapedia :barf:

Jesus christ what an awful design

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fomantis and Lurantis' types make perfect sense because they're just flower mantises in reverse; instead of an insect mimicking a plant they're a plant mimicking an insect.

Also there is only one line of real pokemon whose designs I actively dislike, and their names are swirlix and slurpuff.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

CoffeeAvenger posted:

I actually don't mind most canon pokemon designs, but there's no excuse for Bruxish. It's like Lisa Frank exploded on a humuhumu and gave it nightmarish teeth. :gonk:

I fail to understand how this is a bad thing. Bruxish is FABULOUS. It's a garishly colored psychic fish with sharp teeth. It's deliberately ugly. It isn't my favorite Gen VII design, but it's solidly in the middle of the pack.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I like Altaria. Fluffy bird looks like the definition of Normal/Flying, nope SURPRISE DRAGON.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cattail Prophet posted:

Fomantis and Lurantis' types make perfect sense because they're just flower mantises in reverse; instead of an insect mimicking a plant they're a plant mimicking an insect.

Fomantis and Lurantis are also loving adorable.

Instead of being orchid mantises, they're mantis orchids!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 22, 2017

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Spatula City posted:

I fail to understand how this is a bad thing. Bruxish is FABULOUS. It's a garishly colored psychic fish with sharp teeth. It's deliberately ugly. It isn't my favorite Gen VII design, but it's solidly in the middle of the pack.

Same, I love Bruxish. He looks like he came straight out of a psychedelic 60s cartoon.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wait, is owten an owl kitten thing? Because that's adorable. I bet they gently caress up the evolution though.

As far as difficulty in pokemon games goes, I discovered that playing as a gimmick team of all one type is a pretty interesting way to make the games more challenging without being bullshit. Sure, it's not too hard to get through the game if you have a well-balanced team set up to deal with any given type, but trying to make an all-steel (or steel/whatever) team work was difficult but really fun. I haven't played any of the games in ages, but next time I pick one up I figure I'll pick a type that isn't already taken by a gym/boss.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Fomantis and Lurantis are also loving adorable.

Instead of being orchid mantises, they're mantis orchids!

I love how Fomantis is basically krumping in its idle animation, it's fantastic.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crazy Achmed posted:

Wait, is owten an owl kitten thing? Because that's adorable. I bet they gently caress up the evolution though.

As far as difficulty in pokemon games goes, I discovered that playing as a gimmick team of all one type is a pretty interesting way to make the games more challenging without being bullshit. Sure, it's not too hard to get through the game if you have a well-balanced team set up to deal with any given type, but trying to make an all-steel (or steel/whatever) team work was difficult but really fun. I haven't played any of the games in ages, but next time I pick one up I figure I'll pick a type that isn't already taken by a gym/boss.

Just don't play S&M with mono-ghost or mono-psychic. Lots of things end up packing Crunch or Sucker Punch.

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

ChaosArgate posted:

Just don't play S&M with mono-ghost or mono-psychic. Lots of things end up packing Crunch or Sucker Punch.

Mono-ghost has been tough for a while. Ghost types just pay so hard for their two immunities because so many of the Pokemon you'd use them on to take advantage of that get Crunch or other dark type moves.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Playing Sun and Moon with a mono-ghost team is literally the only time an Ariados will ever be threatening. I learned that the hard way.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

try all dark in Gen 2, weep when the first dark type isn't until just before the final gym

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
well OKAY technically the eevee you get can become umbreon but that's still a good ways in

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I tried to do mono-poison in gen 1

Take a wild guess where I got stonewalled

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

thefailtrain posted:

Mono-ghost has been tough for a while. Ghost types just pay so hard for their two immunities because so many of the Pokemon you'd use them on to take advantage of that get Crunch or other dark type moves.

Maybe it's just me, but despite Ghost being my favorite type, I've never been a fan of pure Ghosts. Their movesets usually leave something to be desired, and the only one with a particularly appealing visual design, at least for me, is Cofagrigus. The Ghost/Darks haven't really wowed me, either. But every other Ghost subtype results in pretty rad-looking Pokemon with really nice, satisfying move pools (it helps that Shadow Ball is a standard TM, also Sludge Bomb/Wave for my boy Gengar).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

inthesto posted:

I tried to do mono-poison in gen 1

Take a wild guess where I got stonewalled

Brock's gym bc all you had was beedril

unless this was yellow where Nidoran can get Double Kick fairly quickly

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Probably one of the more surprising and unpleasant (to run into) additions to S&M that you'll encounter early is the Machop line getting Knock Off at lvl 21. Knock Off of course being a physical Dark-type move, where previously the only moves the line learned were either Fighting or Normal. The line also gets a physical Dragon move now as well.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Brock's gym bc all you had was beedril

unless this was yellow where Nidoran can get Double Kick fairly quickly

Even if it wasn't yellow you could still just use Nidoran. Or powerlevel up to Nidoking if you really have to (you shouldn't).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hammurabi posted:

Even if it wasn't yellow you could still just use Nidoran. Or powerlevel up to Nidoking if you really have to (you shouldn't).

Nidoran gets Double Kick at 43 in Red and Blue. You can power through with resisted Horn Attacks but you would have to do a shitload of grinding first.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

WrightOfWay posted:

Nidoran gets Double Kick at 43 in Red and Blue. You can power through with resisted Horn Attacks but you would have to do a shitload of grinding first.

Reminds me of playing Yellow. My first time fighting Brock I levelled Pikachu until it learned (I think) Quick Attack and just chiselled away at Onyx for ages.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
A tiny electric mouse headbutting a stone snake, forever

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hammurabi posted:

the key words in my post were fairly quickly, leveling to 43 in red or blue is not gonna go fast before the first gym

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me of playing Yellow. My first time fighting Brock I levelled Pikachu until it learned (I think) Quick Attack and just chiselled away at Onyx for ages.

thats what i did my first time playing...good times

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A tiny electric mouse headbutting a stone snake, forever

If only Onix had a horn Pikachu could aim for.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I always had a butterfry for onix when I was using charmander

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Mr. Vile posted:

To be fair, one of my real pet peeves about the later pokemon games is that they really dropped the ball on making it instantly apparent what type a given pokemon is. Take a glance at, say, Golem and you can tell that it's rock type. There are exceptions, but for the most part you can tell the typing from a glance at the sprite. In the later gens there are some sprites that I have absolutely no idea on, with Florges, Dhlemise and Fomantis/Lurantis being particularly bad offenders. And as for the ultra beasts, how is this grass type, this flying type and this a goddamn rock/poison type?

Flygon is my favorite Flying/Bug/Grass/Dragon type.

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

Dr. Dos posted:

Flygon is my favorite Flying/Bug/Grass/Dragon type.

I forgot about Flygon and how much it annoys me :argh:.

I really like bug types so it annoys me endlessly that two of the coolest looking ones are secretly not bug types at all.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Maybe it's just me, but despite Ghost being my favorite type, I've never been a fan of pure Ghosts. Their movesets usually leave something to be desired, and the only one with a particularly appealing visual design, at least for me, is Cofagrigus. The Ghost/Darks haven't really wowed me, either. But every other Ghost subtype results in pretty rad-looking Pokemon with really nice, satisfying move pools (it helps that Shadow Ball is a standard TM, also Sludge Bomb/Wave for my boy Gengar).

I'm largely in the same boat, TBH. Though I do like Mismagius, most of my favorite ghosts are double typed, like Mimikyu, Delmhise, Chandelure, etc..

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

KataraniSword posted:

If only Onix had a horn Pikachu could aim for.

Or could zap a sprinkler system to get Onix a little moist, turning it into a water type. I'm 99% sure that's why the move 'soak' exists.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It does feel like in some cases a Pokemon should have more than 2 types, but due to technical and design limitations, that can't happen. Of course at this point, rebalancing and reprogramming the game to account for more than 2 types on a Pokemon would be an utter nightmare.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If they keep the Regional Forms concept beyond Sun & Moon then we could eventually see a bug type Flygon. Here's hoping they don't more or less drop it like they did with Mega Evolution.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dr. Fetus posted:

It does feel like in some cases a Pokemon should have more than 2 types, but due to technical and design limitations, that can't happen. Of course at this point, rebalancing and reprogramming the game to account for more than 2 types on a Pokemon would be an utter nightmare.

Since Gen 6 there's been engine support for triple-typed mons due to type modifying moves, but I think the conceptual overhead of having to filter everything through 3-4 layers of typing would probably be worse than just arbitrarily picking 2 types for something that looks like it should have a 3rd. Also, abilities like Steelworker or Levitate can already give a mon a simplified version of a 3rd type, which is probably a better solution for most situations.

Alacron posted:

Here's hoping they don't more or less drop it like they every single feature since the dawn of time

fixed it

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 22, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Straight White Shark posted:

Alacron posted:

Here's hoping they don't more or less drop it like they every single feature since the dawn of time

Hey now! They kept Pokemon Amie and infinite-use TMs.

And... uh... contests, for whatever reason, though only sometimes.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.

Dr. Fetus posted:

There have been small overtures to triple-types here and there, with things like Steelworker granting Steel-STAB to a non-Steel type and Dry Skin granting an additional weakness (opening up the potential for a x6 damage modifier in certain cases).

I imagine they'll continue somewhat in that vein, where abilities are used to substitute for elements of a third type.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Uranium has a Pokemon with five STABs.

Caerthir
Jan 21, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Uranium has a Pokemon with five STABs.

Wait what? How is that.......what??? That's just ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I wanna see a trainer with nothing but magikarps and a small paddling pool. Before a bout he'd fill the pool, get Magikarp to splash so that the rock-type opponent is soaking wet, then just walk up and punch out the onyx. Hell, it worked with Meowth in the anime - took out a rock type using two buckets of water that he threw at it. "WATER SPIN! :byodood:"

• Locked thread