Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Nessus posted:

I don't think it's inconsistent for Starfleet to treat the wormhole aliens are powerful and enigmatic wormhole aliens rather than actual religious figures. Even if the Bajoran religion IS correct by random chance, the Prophets are still competing for mindspace with Q, Kevin Uxbridge, that dude from the Squire of Gothos, Lucien, Apollo, Abraham Lincoln, that slinky chick who was going to claim a planet, that THING Spock killed with a Bird of Prey's dual heavy cannons, V'ger, the whale probe, and that dude who made a giant Spock.

Kevin Uxbridge just wants to be left alone with his dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bucswabe posted:

I think I once counted at least 8 separate times that data took over the enterprise or his abilities posed a grave threat to the crew.

I think I'd be terrified of Data if I were another crew member. He's so effective at taking over absolutely everything in that episode where Soong calls him home.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Pulaski knew.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrJacobs posted:

It's a good thing "Measure of a Man" took place in season 2 instead of season 7. Data would have been sent to be dissected just so they knew why he kept trying to kill the crew.
It's pretty simple.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7jbP1_H9sA

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

My favorite part of this edit is Riker.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Timby posted:

the take of the "this far, no further" speech that was used in one of the trailers is so, so, so much better.

That's more a complaint for the editor, not the director. I doubt Frakes had a lot of say in the editing room.

Also, I confess I love A Night in Sickbay, only becuas eI hate Archer and this episode encapsulates why he should have been shoved out of the airlock in ep 1.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

That's more a complaint for the editor, not the director. I doubt Frakes had a lot of say in the editing room.

Also, I confess I love A Night in Sickbay, only becuas eI hate Archer and this episode encapsulates why he should have been shoved out of the airlock in ep 1.

Archer has two modes: Boring Ship Dad, and Petulant Manbaby. The latter seems to come up most with the Vulcans, and apparently with his dog. "A Night in Sickbay" makes Archer out to be the type of dog owner that I can't stand: the kind that expects the world to bend over backward for their dumbass dog, against all reason and common sense.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Railing Kill posted:

Archer has two modes: Boring Ship Dad, and Petulant Manbaby. The latter seems to come up most with the Vulcans, and apparently with his dog. "A Night in Sickbay" makes Archer out to be the type of dog owner that I can't stand: the kind that expects the world to bend over backward for their dumbass dog, against all reason and common sense.

You know, it wasn't until the second sentence that I twigged you weren't talking about Sterling Archer.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

You know, it wasn't until the second sentence that I twigged you weren't talking about Sterling Archer.

Sterling Archer would have that fuckin puma or whatever wandering all over the ship mauling people. It would be great.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Railing Kill posted:

Especially since that ep was not the firs time they were dealing with the race of triggered autists and because Archer is a terrible man-baby cause he wanted to go into space to show Vulcans he can wear the big boy pants, they have no spare parts and must get this part form the triggered autists.

Also, this ep states Archer is a trained diplomat, which is hilarious.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jonathan Archer is many things, but I wouldn't even allow the word diplomatic to be spoken in his vicinity, lest it be sullied.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Railing Kill posted:

I bet he lets it poop everywhere and expects the poop fairy to whisk it away too. loving hate having to walk around the area around my work like a minefield because of everyone deserves to have their precious doggo and the world is their toilet.

The poop fairy wasn't even invented until just before Picard's day. So immersion breaking :qq:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I bet the recycled food made from dog poo poo tastes weird too

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

PassTheRemote posted:

Especially since that ep was not the firs time they were dealing with the race of triggered autists and because Archer is a terrible man-baby cause he wanted to go into space to show Vulcans he can wear the big boy pants, they have no spare parts and must get this part form the triggered autists.

Also, this ep states Archer is a trained diplomat, which is hilarious.

They needed stuff to cure a plague on another planet, so rather than make a simple exchange and let his dog hang out on plaugeworld where dogs would probably be immune to alien disease, he brings him down for a quick talk before a parts exchange because Archer is a loving idiot.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Earth has exported fleas to the rest of the galaxy

tasslex
Apr 23, 2003

He's watching YOU

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I still say that if Starfleet drummed out every person who ever got mind-influenced by some alien, they'd have a hell of a time keeping their ships manned.

Space is hosed up, what are you gonna do about it?
Trek Book Talk, but there is a fun bit in one of the recent books where we're told there is an entire facility on Betazed with therapists that help Starfleet officers get over being controlled/inhabited/assimilated/etc that you only ever know about if it happens to you.

The post-Nemesis Trek books are actually pretty decent for kid-lit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Christ, in my DS9 watch through, Bashir's parents have turned up. This is hard going, his dad reminds me too much of my own dad when he's being argumentative.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Christ, in my DS9 watch through, Bashir's parents have turned up. This is hard going, his dad reminds me too much of my own dad when he's being argumentative.

Well, hopefully you are not a genetically-engineered crime against the natural order.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

dont even fink about it posted:

Well, hopefully you are not a genetically-engineered crime against the natural order.

I'm gay? v:shobon:v

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

I'm gay? v:shobon:v

As long as you are not superhumanly gay.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Being gay is just a natural result of the chemicals They put in the water.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Being gay is just a natural result of the chemicals They put in the water.

I did prefer drinking water over soda as a child. 🤔

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

dont even fink about it posted:

As long as you are not superhumanly gay.

Superior homosexuality breeds superior fabulousness. A lesson we would do well to recall.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It would make more sense for them to take the approach of "okay sure, we believe you when you say they told you this, but how do we know they're not trying to play us here?"

Yeah if Starfleet had questioned the Wormhole Aliens' motives and Sisko's objectivity it would have made more sense and been a better more complicated conflict than just forgetting time travel and clairvoyance are fairly ordinary phenomena whenever the Wormhole Aliens come up.

PostNouveau posted:

I think I'd be terrified of Data if I were another crew member. He's so effective at taking over absolutely everything in that episode where Soong calls him home.

I'd be more afraid that Starfleet's incomprehensibly lax security is going to get me killed. Voice synthesizers are common toys in the Federation, and you can take over and lockout the ship with nothing more than that? You don't need a positronic brain making billions of calculations per second: loving Kevin from Home Alone 2 could take over the Enterprise.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

VitalSigns posted:

You don't need a positronic brain making billions of calculations per second: loving Kevin from Home Alone 2 could take over the Enterprise.

loving greenlight this.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

I'd be more afraid that Starfleet's incomprehensibly lax security is going to get me killed. Voice synthesizers are common toys in the Federation, and you can take over and lockout the ship with nothing more than that? You don't need a positronic brain making billions of calculations per second: loving Kevin from Home Alone 2 could take over the Enterprise.

Similarly, in a universe with hostile aliens, invisible space ships and transporters it seems like it should violate some security protocol or other to not have your shields up at all times.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like how Bashir's mom wasn't even played by an actress but just some random lady.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Echo Chamber posted:

I like how Bashir's mom wasn't even played by an actress but just some random lady.

Holy poo poo
http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Fadwa_El_Guindi

I thought she did fine.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Don't you need a SAG card to have speaking roles?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tasslex posted:

Trek Book Talk, but there is a fun bit in one of the recent books where we're told there is an entire facility on Betazed with therapists that help Starfleet officers get over being controlled/inhabited/assimilated/etc that you only ever know about if it happens to you.

So in other words, everyone knows about it?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Surely that's balanced out by situations where he saves the entire ship since he's the only one immune to the stun ray or whatever.

I'd be really glad when I randomly pass out due to an alien attack and I wake up to Data helping me off the ground. "Thanks Data!"

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Computer, design a starship that cannot be commandeered by Data

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Considering how many times something like that happens, you start to wonder how the other ships in the fleet survive without an android or a hologram or a Borg or whatever on board.

Actually that would have been a good Enterprise arc for how the original Federation got together. Turns out each of the founding members is immune to some class of weirdo space anomaly and they're like "it would make more sense if we all served on the same exploration missions, also let's assimilate federate as many races as possible so we don't keep losing all our ships to Weird poo poo™ that disables everyone except the people with the special immunity."

I wonder if Starfleet has diversity requirements for that reason. You've got to have so many humans in case you encounter Trellium-D. So many Vulcans in case you run into mind control. So many artificial life forms in case of superplague. So many El-Aurians in case the timeline fucks up. So many betazoids in case other telepaths are bad at communicating without driving you crazy. So many Tellarites in case...uh....you're infiltrated by a hard-to-find alien truffle species. And so on.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
IIRC, rear end in a top hat baseball Vulcan commanded an all-Vulcan ship.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh yeah. Running into Trellium-D without humans around to help them explains a lot about that Vulcan crew's behavior, honestly.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Considering how many times something like that happens, you start to wonder how the other ships in the fleet survive without an android or a hologram or a Borg or whatever on board.

Actually that would have been a good Enterprise arc for how the original Federation got together. Turns out each of the founding members is immune to some class of weirdo space anomaly and they're like "it would make more sense if we all served on the same exploration missions, also let's assimilate federate as many races as possible so we don't keep losing all our ships to Weird poo poo™ that disables everyone except the people with the special immunity."

I wonder if Starfleet has diversity requirements for that reason. You've got to have so many humans in case you encounter Trellium-D. So many Vulcans in case you run into mind control. So many artificial life forms in case of superplague. So many El-Aurians in case the timeline fucks up. So many betazoids in case other telepaths are bad at communicating without driving you crazy. So many Tellarites in case...uh....you're infiltrated by a hard-to-find alien truffle species. And so on.

That makes perfect sense and I'm surprised they didn't explicitly state this as a reason for it. It's like RPG party comp writ large.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'm rewatching Babylon 5 and I can't believe I never noticed that G'kar has a human fetish.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

Someday the Enterprise will run into something that incapacitates everyone except Bolians. Then it's up to the ship's barbers to save the day.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
In the next exciting episoide... The Bolian Weave!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beachcomber posted:

I'm rewatching Babylon 5 and I can't believe I never noticed that G'kar has a human fetish.

My memories of G'kar make me want to rewatch Babylon 5 but I'm worried it won't hold up.