Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Stardew Valley: Now, I know what you're thinking, "That's an endless game, GNF. You can't complete it." But I'll reply, "You can have your definitions of complete, and I'll have mine." I'm at 99 hours of playtime and have gotten 37 of the 40 achievements (two of which involve the game-within-the-game that I'm not going to bother with, and the other is a complete restart, which I also don't want to bother with). I've gotten my farm to a point where I sleep for 7 day stretches and then pull in 150k gold (every 2 seasons, that 150k sky-rockets to 1 million when I pull out my aged wine). That's not a ton compared to other people who religiously min/max this game, but it was enough for me to get to 10 million net worth and call the game quits. If ConcernedApe updates again, I'll check it out.

In terms of a review, it's a highly addicting and fun game if you were ever a fan of Harvest Moon. The first 2 years in-game were really fun because I was focusing on getting all the various collections, increasing my relationships, and helping out the community. I achieved the main check-boxes just shy of 2 years in. After that was some aggressive achievement hunting that started getting dull, but I just had to do it. If you like relaxing, never-ending games, this might be the one for you. If you get sucked into collecting all the things, this will be maddening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
100%: GUILTY GEAR Xrd -REVELATOR- - Got all achievements. Not many people have managed to do this legitimately, because a good number of the achievements require Ranked play and Ranked has been totally dead after the first month (Lobbies at the preferred mode for most). The hardest achievement was Medals of the Holy Order, which required me to finish 150 mini-achievements which could only be completed in ranked or arcade mode. Anyway, I liked this game enough to do it. Will continue to play it online as well.

Nulled: Super Time Force Ultra - I like the basic gameplay and I think it's pretty neat, but I don't like having to manage a time limit on each level. Going to give it a pass for that reason.

Beat: Lone Survivor - I started playing this years ago and stopped because I realized there were multiple endings, and I was on track for one I didn't want. When I picked it up again recently, I didn't have my old save anymore, so I went ahead and beat it from scratch. I think this is a really neat game. The graphics are pixelated, but expressive. The music and sound effects are similarly well done. The story is interesting, if ambiguous. I think one of the game's best qualities was how the character's mental state was managed in the game, because it encouraged you to to do "human" things like cook, water a houseplant, care for a pet, avoid violence, etc. Overall quite good, I just wish I had more of a handle on the plot.

Nulled: Sir, You Are Being Hunted - I wanted to like this one. I've liked stealth gameplay in the past, and the bougie British robots seemed like they would be entertaining opponents. In practice it just seems.. sparse. You root around the countryside trying to find quest items and supplies, while hiding from patrols in tall grass. You can't hide in houses, they're just glorified treasure chests: press F at the door and you're shown a container full of items, and most of them serve no purpose. Enemies are more plentiful than you have ammo to deal with, and get more numerous and difficult as time goes on. I didn't like the core objective, which was finding the quest items. You can track them by looking for white smoke (hard on an overcast day) or following will-o-wisps, who often seem to be going in a completely different direction. Then when you find one (and deal with the patrols guarding it), you have to play Tetris with your inventory to fit it in there. The gunplay isn't that satisfying, and, really, neither is the stealth. Overall I didn't like the gameplay very much, though I really liked the premise.

Nulled: Deponia (and sequels) - Really beautiful art, passable adventure gameplay, but what really turned me off is the main character. He's completely insufferable.

Nulled: Planetary Annihilation - Can't manage to get this to load without crashing.

Nulled: KHOLAT - I should have done my homework before buying this one. I like Sean Bean and I think the Kholat incident could have been a really neat premise for a game, but instead of controlling the hikers and seeing it first-hand, you are some researcher walking around by himself in the snow with a map and compass, looking for scraps of paper to investigate what happened. Not much of a "game" to speak of here.

Nulled: Savage Lands - Yet another bad survival/crafting game (a la Minecraft, Rust, Space Engineers, etc). Crashed on load several times, was pretty disappointed with it when it finally did work.

Nulled: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Switching between light/dark world is neat, but there is a lot going on visually and that makes it hard to see when you're barreling right into certain death. Maybe if the controls were a little bit tighter, I would be interested in seeing it through to the end... but it doesn't click with me enough for me to want to step up to the challenge.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 19, 2017

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Bleed

I tried this once before and bounced off it, but decided to give it another shot and was pleasantly surprised. It's a short, cute game about indiscriminate slaughter. The levels are short -- really, the whole game is short, I finished it in an afternoon -- but if you want to dig deeper it also has four difficulty levels and lots of room for voluntary challenges.

Nulled: Rage

I heard from a few sources that this game isn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be on release and I should give it a try, and from that I have concluded that those people are full of poo poo and I shouldn't trust their taste in games, because it blows.

The levels are completely linear snorefests, the weapons, enemies, and setting are both boring and unoriginal, and everything is aggressively, tediously brown. On top of that, despite being released in 2011 to much fanfare about its superior graphics technology, this game looks awful even on the highest graphics settings! Weapons and enemies are clear and crisp but the environment textures are muddy, blurry, overfiltered garbage that make everything look like it's been smeared with vaseline and actually start hurting my eyes after a while. Extremely visible and obvious texture pop-in as you look around doesn't help, either.

Now Playing: Morrowind (via the Morroblivion project)

I played Morrowind back in the day, and beat the main quest, but never came anywhere close to finishing the various guild questlines, and never even started Tribunal or Bloodmoon. Morroblivion, a fan-made port of Morrowind to the Oblivion engine, is now in a reasonably stable and complete state, so I decided to give it a shot. Installing it is kind of a pain in the rear end -- the instructions as written are simple enough, but you will definitely want to run around and pick up the patches for it that are due to be merged into the next release but haven't been merged yet, in addition to the mods that make Oblivion itself not painful to play like DarN UI, Realistic Leveling, and Minimap. Once set up, though, it is (at least so far) a faithful recreation of Morrowind in Oblivion.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Now Playing: Child of Light - Pretty solid RPG. I'm about halfway through right now, maybe less.

Nulled: Lord of the Rings: War in the North - This suffers from a major story-related issue I've seen in other Lord of the Rings games: it draws inspiration from the books, but not enough to make it interesting. Aragorn's there, but he's just there in the beginning to remind you that this is a Lord of the Rings game. So instead of getting to play as Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli, you get Eradan, the Great Value brand Aragorn, Farin, a generic dwarf who isn't Gimli, and Andriel, a nondescript elf mage. I had to look those names up, because I could barely remember them. Anyway, there's barely a plot: your characters are told to create a diversion for Frodo, so they charge into a goblin hideout with no backup or support of any kind. You run into an eagle who can help you out of tight spots, but not boss battles, and Elrond's sons are there too for some reason. Visually it looks pretty good, and the melee fighting is flashy. However, it gets repetitive quickly: you spend most of the time jamming the attack button, occasionally pressing another button to do a finisher. Sometimes you can use a skill to mix things up, but they have long cooldowns and consume your limited mana pool. I played about an hour and figured I'd had enough... the story wasn't interesting to me, and the gameplay was getting kind of boring.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Beaten: Thirty Flights of Loving - I'm usually fairly open minded and hip about games or at least so I think but what the gently caress is this poo poo?

Nulled: 7 Grand Steps - This is conceptually interesting but I seem to have gotten into a rut by not knowing how the game works until it was too late and now all my kids are idiots, which is interesting in the way the game is laid out, but it doesn't make for interesting gameplay.

Nulled: Potatoman Seeks The Troof - it's fun but I'm not very good at these kinds of reflex games.

Nulled: Mini Metro - After bungling the first level over and over, I decided I'd rather be playing Train Valley.

If you couldn't tell, I'm working my way through the Humble Freedom Bundle, because if I don't try these games now, then I may never. Stardew Valley is a hit with me, so at least there's that if all else fails. Ultimately, it's a charity contribution so I won't be unsatisfied if none of them turn out to be decent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

another game blast

BEATEN: ROOT - Stealth game that doesn't really execute as well as I wish it did

BEATEN: Rambo the Video Game - The trashiest on-rails game, but I still enjoyed it

BEATEN: Factotum 90 - Cute little third-person puzzler where you control two different robots at once

BEATEN: Omnibus - Someone told me this game was relaxing but they must not have played beyond world 2

BEATEN: Nefarious - The gameplay is not that great but the characters are really fun, I hope there's a sequel that plays better.

BEATEN: Legend of Kay Anniversary - PS2-era 3D platformer with a heavy focus on combat. More Zelda-y than I was expecting, but the platforming was pretty rough and the camera was awful

BEATEN: Alwa's Awakening - For some reason this had a negative rep in the Steam thread but I really liked this Metroidvania. It feels like a pure retro game in the same way Shovel Knight did.

BEATEN: Cubixx HD - Qix around a 3D cube, seems to have a lot of side content but I only did the main mode in which you beat 10 stages of 5 levels each. Pretty solid Qix game all told.

BEATEN: Return to Mysterious Island - Was gifted this and immediately played it. Point n click adventure with multiple solutions to puzzles, where inventory puzzles are almost more like crafting/recipes. I'd already played the moon one but never the island games

BEATEN: WASTED - Fallout-inspired roguelike where you deep dive into procedurally generated vaults. There's a little bit of sameiness to the Coolers and the first cooler felt like the hardest one to beat, but it's still a fun game

BEATEN: Twisted Lands 1 - HIDDEN OBJECT GAMES!

BEATEN: Magatama Earrings - Honestly I only got this cause it looked like a Dragon Quest style game, and it was, but it was ultimately a pretty mediocre mobile port

BEATEN: World of Goo - Not bad for an 8 year old indie game, although the physics sometimes reacted or did things that didn't make sense or broke the puzzle

NOW PLAYING: TRI, Pulse Shift, Creepy Castle

ADDED: The Witness, Sproggiwood, Girls Like Robots, Spirits, Rocketbirds, Jumpjet Rex, No Time to Explain, Secrets of Raetikon, Abzu, Ninja Pizza Girl, TIMEframe, Rituals, Ellipsis, Song of the Deep, Return to Mysterious Island 2, GRAV, Goetia, Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble, Subnautica, Septerra Core, Dead Effect 1+2, Two Worlds I+II, One More Dungeon

I haven't actually added any of those to Steam yet but I bought heck of bundles in the past week. For now my Steamcompletionist is at 73.6% and my plan is to play the games in the bundles that are DRM Free (except for The Witness), and then when I beat them, add the keys and mark them as beaten on Steamcompletionist (this way I don't add a game first and then find out I don't like it). I'm so close to 75%!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 20, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Rambo the Video Game - The trashiest on-rails game, but I still enjoyed it

You haven't played Blue Estate, then.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
BEAT: Final Fantasy 8. Man, the entire time, I'm thinking, how the gently caress did this game get made? Who read this script and decided this would be the successor to the incredibly popular Final Fantasy 7? I love so much about this game...it's the only JRPG that's held my attention since...since like, loving Final Fantasy VII. But the setting makes no sense, the characters make no sense, the story makes no sense but all that is in a nonsensical way that isn't bogged down by it literally being confusing, but rather, the entire time I'm thinking, this MUST be a bad translation. There are so many questions opened up that are not answered. And then the game is over and you're left with just questions and a happy ending. I mean, I loved the game, but gently caress if I would ever recommend it to anyone. The mechanics are great, if entirely broken, and I would love to see them in other games.

BEAT: X-Com 2. Yeah, X-Com 2. It was fun. I liked the little nod to Terror From the Deep.

Now playing: FF8 has rekindled my desire for console RPGs. I'm thinking of diving into more PS1 classics I missed. Is Vagrant Story worth playing? Only one way to find out (besides asking or looking up any information)

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 20, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

credburn posted:

BEAT: Final Fantasy 8. Man, the entire time, I'm thinking, how the gently caress did this game get made? Who read this script and decided this would be the successor to the incredibly popular Final Fantasy 8?

The entire thing is like some weird fever-dream that feels like it's been assembled through madlibs. Flying paramilitary schools, bizarre time manipulation, alternate dimensions, spaceships stuffed with aliens and an ending sequence that goes full bananas.

One of the best FFs imo. Maybe the best.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

credburn posted:

Now playing: FF8 has rekindled my desire for console RPGs. I'm thinking of diving into more PS1 classics I missed. Is Vagrant Story worth playing? Only one way to find out (besides asking or looking up any information)

If you enjoyed diving deep into FF8's systems then you'll enjoy Vagrant Story which is just as open ended and broken. It's also surprisingly cinematic for a PS1 game with comic book style dialog and movie like transitions cut to the music.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I want another FF8 game, or a game set in that world. I want SOMETHING to give me context. Like, is this a post-apocalyptic world? It FEELS very Logan's Run-esque. The Garden looks rather Logan's Run, so maybe that's why. I want to know what the future is like -- did they say the Ultimecia sorceress is from 17 years in the future? And I guess it's important to stop her from what she's doing, and I know the only reason she has for doing it is basically just because she's evil and wants to rule the world, but what is her current world like? Is it post-post-apocalyptic? If it's only 17 years in the future, can't we find the little girl version of her and kill it? Also, why did nobody know the Garden could fly, espcially Cid who BUILT the thing? And what was the point of the amnesia...I don't want to call it a plot, as much as a brief comment made by a few of the characters that oh yeah we actually have known each other our whole lives but using summons made our memories bad well anyway back to the game let's not speak of this again.

Love this trainwreck of a game.

EDIT: And I'd read once before that fan theory that says Squall is actually dead after everything starting at the beginning of Disc 2 and everything that follows is a sort of last-second-of-life-dream sort of thing. While I don't think that's what the writers had in mind, it is bizarre because under that context the rest of the game makes sense. Prior to Disc 2, everything weird you see makes you just say, "Well, that's loving strange, but I guess it'll be explained later." When it is explained, it's so bonkers that in the context that Squall is dying and his brain is being flooded with strange goals and regrets and emotions and manifestations of stressful people and events then I can go with it.

al-azad posted:

If you enjoyed diving deep into FF8's systems then you'll enjoy Vagrant Story which is just as open ended and broken. It's also surprisingly cinematic for a PS1 game with comic book style dialog and movie like transitions cut to the music.

I've heard that it is a "spiritual precursor" to Final Fantasy: Tactics. What's that mean? It feels nothing like FFT but for camera controls and...blocks.

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 20, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

al-azad posted:

Vagrant Story is top tier PSOne gaming, but be sure to read up on how the combat and weapon systems work. I bounced off it a couple of times until it all finally clicked - you'll eventually hit a brick wall of difficulty if you don't take care to make sure you've got the right weapon for the job.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

credburn posted:

I've heard that it is a "spiritual precursor" to Final Fantasy: Tactics. What's that mean? It feels nothing like FFT but for camera controls and...blocks.

It was designed by Matsuno who did the Ogre/Tactics games and is unofficially part of the Ivalice series of games with all the backstabbing renaissance fantasy themes that come with them.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Vagrant Story is top tier PSOne gaming, but be sure to read up on how the combat and weapon systems work. I bounced off it a couple of times until it all finally clicked - you'll eventually hit a brick wall of difficulty if you don't take care to make sure you've got the right weapon for the job.

It has an in depth manual/tutorial built into the menus (much like FF8 did) but the game hates you and pulls no punches. It's not hard to box yourself in but you definitely want to know how the risk system works and practice your counters.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

credburn posted:

Vagrant Story kicks rear end and is probably my favourite game on the PSX, but it also doesn't play at all like FF8 or other JRPGs; it's an isometric dungeon crawler with real-time-with-pause combat and a really in-depth crafting system. It's definitely worth playing, though. And while it's not as hilariously breakable as FF8, it has plenty of scope for wrecking the difficulty curve if you're into that. :v:

quote:

Mechanically, they have basically nothing in common. Thematically, they were directed by the same person and have similar themes of constant political backstabbing and organized religion built on a foundation of now-forgotten horrors that someone is trying to exploit for their own purposes. Chronologically, they're set in the same universe, but VS takes place centuries after FFT and has no characters or locations in common, although there are references to FFT in the item descriptions and stuff.

al-azad posted:

It has an in depth manual/tutorial built into the menus (much like FF8 did) but the game hates you and pulls no punches. It's not hard to box yourself in but you definitely want to know how the risk system works and practice your counters.

That, and be aware of your weapon affinities. Each weapon is either blunt, slashing, or piercing and has affinity to different kinds of enemies like ghosts, humans, lizards, etc, and these both make a huge difference. It's common to end up carrying around 3-4 different weapons for different targets.

Buffs and debuffs are also very important, and choosing the right ones can be the difference between a 20-minute-long boss fight in which you eat healing items like candy and completely stomping it into the dirt in five attacks.

I want to play VS again now. Shame I don't have my original save files so I can play New Game +...

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Hello friends. Upon getting my first adult job with real income, I decided to buy a lot of video games 5 months ago. I would like to start plowing through them in a manner with some sort of accountability.

Beat: The Last of Us Remastered
I finally finished The Last of Us Remastered in an attempt to start clearing my backlog.

I will maintain that it is stuck between wanting a bad stealth game and a bad third person shooter. There are ways to stealth at times, but there are also a lot of set pieces where you have to engage already hostile enemies. Some of these set pieces involve enemies that will instantly kill you if they get within proximity of you. That's all fine and dandy except you don't have the tools that other third person shooters give you such as a dodge of some sort, hip fire, or even a decent amount of ammo. The stealth portion of the game also doesn't give a lot of tools. You can throw bricks, which aggros the nonhumans and forces your partner AI to shoot at them, you can sneak up on someone and shiv them, or you can pick them off with a bow. You don't get the bow until like a third of the way through the game, and shivs break until you find an item around the same time. There's also a chapter in the game where the stealth take down isn't stealthy and will alert other guards, which is really dumb considering the chapter in question. Overall, I'm okay if I don't have to experience the game play again.

The writing was a bit more appreciated. The first third of the game was really slow and not great honestly. Other than the prologue, I did not care about any of the characters. The game did pick up in the last two thirds. I thought that the ending cut scene was really unique and well done. There are some monstrous leaps of logic that you have to take to feel the immersion, but that comes with the territory of video games. The Left Behind DLC, however, I felt was really good and made me care a lot about the characters with some nice touches, if sometimes cringe worthy.

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the sliding block puzzles. On the one hand, I understand the need to break up the sections. On the other hand, I could have shaved like an hour off the game by shaving those sections. Also, I was frustrated that you had to put the ladder or dumpster in just the right place before I got the prompt to continue. There were so many times that I was off by like two feet, or something that should have conventionally worked didn't because reasons.

Overall, I'd give the game a 7, with the caveat that I am not a fan of AAA set piece shooters. (crosspost from PS4 thread)

Nulled: Super Mario Galaxy
I really wanted to like this game but it was not happening. I don't know if it's a fault of the game or my own, but I was having trouble with depth perception. The game uses a fixed camera angle with very limited control. I would often miss jumps, even on Goombas, because I was jumping either too close or too far away. The game also depended a lot on momentum for jumps to the point where I could not control myself mid air. It's been a while since I played SM64, but the hallmark of the 2D games was the ability to move after you jumped. This game broke that. I got 50 stars, but gave up in the 4th quadrant out of 6. There was an ice galaxy that featured a power up that created ice where you walked for a limited amount of time. You could ice skate to move quicker, which was needed as it was a timed power up. The ice skating jump was a twirl which again usurped control from the player. This gimmick combined with the above complaints about camera angle and perspective just soured me on a game where I had gotten every other achievable star I could see up until that point. I tried the boss world in an attempt to to speed through the game, and the same issues were coming up for me. I wasn't having fun anymore, and I have a lot of other games, so I decided to shelf this one.

Next: Rodea, The Sky Soldier
I used a RNG to determine the next game because I couldn't decide otherwise. I'll be playing the Wii version as I got both, and I've heard the Wii version is superior for whatever reason. Looks like an 8 hour game, so it should be a week or two.

Backlog:
Witcher 3 GOTY
MGS5 GOTY
World of Final Fantasy
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3 (after I beat 2)
Digimon: Cyber Sleuth
Tearaway: Unfolded
Dark Souls 3 (waiting for last DLC to drop so I can play everything in one fell swoop)
Titanfall 2
DOOM
Until Dawn
Tales from the Borderlands

Pikmin (Wii)
Pikmin 2 (after 1)
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Last Story
Trauma Center: New Blood
Rhythm Heaven Fever
Ghost Squad
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Pikmin 3 (after 1 and 2)
New Super Luigi Bros
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD
Starfox Zero/Guard
#FE
Paper Mario Color Splash

I'm definitely missing some that I'll add when I get home. This isn't even counting some digital stuff like Donkey Kong Country 2, Link to the Past, or any of my Steam library.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Shadow225 posted:

I really wanted to like this game but it was not happening. I don't know if it's a fault of the game or my own, but I was having trouble with depth perception. The game uses a fixed camera angle with very limited control. I would often miss jumps, even on Goombas, because I was jumping either too close or too far away. The game also depended a lot on momentum for jumps to the point where I could not control myself mid air. It's been a while since I played SM64, but the hallmark of the 2D games was the ability to move after you jumped.

I personally bounced of SM64 several times myself, for very similar reasons; SMG adds variable gravity to the mix. I couldn't play 3D platformers for the better part of a decade because I simply could not deal with the kind of depth perception needed for this kind of platformer (fixed physics, levels built to match the physics). Was convinced for years that the only way it could work is if you littered the world with action points to work with (think Tomb Raider, or Prince of Persia Sands of Time for the earliest Really Good Version).

Then I played an incredibly terrible 3D platformer: Blaster Master: Blasting Again, which I don't recommend at all but which had fixed 90-degree perspective shifts instead of proper camera control. And a few hours of training with that and suddenly I Could See It All and had a bunch of games to play through now that I could interact with them.

Fewer than one might think, though. Prince of Persia-style 3D platformers really kind of took over the whole space. SMG1 and Cloudbuilt are pretty much the standouts in my book, these days. SMG2 was just a bit too difficult for me to finish all the way through.

Oh hey, speaking of finishing games.

COMPLETED: Day of the Tentacle Remastered. It's still one of the best of the old LucasArts games. These Double Fine remasterings of the old LucasArts games are also interesting because they're the only cases I know of where they are truly remastered as opposed to "HD version". They inherited warehouses full of carefully preserved tapes and images that couldn't be digitized properly back in the day, and this time they're making new digital versions from them that are actually of modern quality. So it's the actual 90s voice actors, in the 90s, at quality levels appropriate for 2017.

Which is to say, Mark Hammill at his peak incoming in Full Throttle Remastered hell yes, but that's not for awhile yet.

BEATEN: Hyper Light Drifter. Loved this. It's got the Zelda perspective, the Metroid feel of terrible loneliness in a hostile and decripit fallen world, top-notch modern pixel art, a soundtrack perfect for its visuals, and combat that's fast, brutal, and decisive. I don't even have any 2D touch-points for the combat; maybe "Like a Castlevania where you could dash a lot better and weren't really capable of tanking", I guess. I'd usually spend a bunch of time getting wrecked in a sequence, stockpile healing items, and then crush it without needing any of them. Controls are clear, but mechanics, goals, etc. are vague. It turns out I like that kind of thing; it's been quite a long time since I've played a game where I realized midway through "oh, I am actually doing this large task. Maybe I should start pursuing that goal more explicitly."

IN PROGRESS: Link's Awakening DX; Phonenix Wright Dual Destinies. I've bounced off Link's Awakening three times over the years, but I found my old GBA while cleaning house and it still works great. Maybe I'll stick with it more this time around.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BEATEN: Mushroom 11! God, what a tedious game. It has an interesting idea - you're a mass of endlessly regrowing goo out to explore a ruined post-nuke world - but the controls are, hmm. They're fun at first but the puzzles get so intricate and tedious that they're just not fun to do. You can figure out what to do, then try to coax the physics into working so you'll actually get to continue on. Rinse, repeat for seven levels, and yikes. I was ready to stop by level four, but at that point....well. I decided to beat the game. And it was tedious.

At least it paid off in pretty imagery and neat music?

So yeah, check it out if you have it, but skip it if you don't. Not worth it.

edit: I beat the game, but you can't pay me to go back and do the rest of the achievements. Lord no.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

credburn posted:

If you haven't, play Final Fantasy 9, the best Final Fantasy. Breath of Fire 3 is pretty good aswell, but there's no PC port of it afaik. And not PS1 era, but a good game nonetheless: Grandia II.

Das Butterbrot fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 22, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

StrixNebulosa posted:

BEATEN: Mushroom 11!

I'm on like level 4 of this game and it's very clear that the developers ran out of level design ideas. Previously, you had to manipulate your little cloud in interesting ways, play with physics and the dispersion of weight and it was all really very clever. But now the puzzles are all like...try and launch yourself ten feet using this pully system that is really just thirty minutes of trial and error. Follow that with another random trial-and-error puzzle and it's just tedious as poo poo. I'm happy you beat it, but I think it's time to null this game.

Das Butterbrot posted:

If you haven't, play Final Fantasy 9, the best Final Fantasy. Breath of Fire 3 is pretty good aswell, but there's no PC port of it afaik. And not PS1 era, but a good game nonetheless: Grandia II.

Way back in the day, I passed on FF8 and instead got FF9. I remember really enjoying it. I did once play a Breath of Fire game that was a PC port and I remember thinking it felt very dated and it didn't interest me, but that was also like ten years ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

credburn posted:

I'm on like level 4 of this game and it's very clear that the developers ran out of level design ideas. Previously, you had to manipulate your little cloud in interesting ways, play with physics and the dispersion of weight and it was all really very clever. But now the puzzles are all like...try and launch yourself ten feet using this pully system that is really just thirty minutes of trial and error. Follow that with another random trial-and-error puzzle and it's just tedious as poo poo. I'm happy you beat it, but I think it's time to null this game.

Preeeetty much. It's like they made all of the art assets for the different levels and then realized that oops, they had to pad out the levels so they could use all of it. Some trimming and this could've been a cool weird game, but....yeah.

Definitely null it if you aren't feeling that bloodymindedness to finish it like I did. It's not worth it.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 22, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The first three levels are pretty cool, though. Was it originally a mobile game? It feels like it's designed to be fingered.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

credburn posted:

Final Fantasy 8. Man, the entire time, I'm thinking, how the gently caress did this game get made? Who read this script and decided this would be the successor to the incredibly popular Final Fantasy 7?

I have no interest in FFVIII itself, but I always loved that it happened after VII. Something I've always liked about Final Fantasy is that every single one is different, and either failing or succeeding entirely on its own merits. Right from FFII, which looked at the simple but effective and appealing game that came before it and saved an entire company, and went 'okay, but let's do basically everything different in the sequel and see what happens'.

Of all times for them to rest on their laurels and be more traditional, right after FFVII was it. They struck a chord tonally and cinematically, their game became a poster child for a new generation of gaming and the vanguard of a massive resurgence in their genre, Cloud and Sephiroth are already entering the pantheon of icons of the medium, EVERYONE is hanging on to see what they do next but it's guaranteed to be a hit...

and what they do next is THAT.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Brigador

This game is a lot of fun, but the last few missions are also brutally, unforgivingly hard. Too hard for me to handle no matter what mech I pick. I don't regret getting it, but I have made peace with the fact that I'll never finish it.

Now Playing: still Morrowind, but I'm in the mood for a shooter too, so I'm giving Resident Evil 5 a shot. It's been in my library for years but I never got around to playing it.

Das Butterbrot posted:

I don't think having a PC port is a necessity since they're talking about playing Vagrant Story. :) I liked Breath of Fire 3 and 4, especially 3.

I've heard Suikoden II is also really good, but have yet to play it.

Cleretic posted:

and what they do next is THAT.

For all my objections to FF8, I will give them props for being willing to be wild and experimental and try a bunch of new ideas, even if a lot of them turned out to be really bad ones.

Also, it had a kickass soundtrack and the best card-game-within-a-game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BEATEN: The Silver Case. What a waste of a game. The plot went nowhere, the characters didn't have any life to them, and while it had some interesting ideas absolutely nothing was done with them, except in off-hand comments. Yeesh. Honestly the best part of the game was the side stories written by someone else - they at least had characters I grew to like!

Well...whatever. It's over now, and I'm not going to spend money on the extra materials. If you're thinking about ever checking out the Silver Case: there's a longplay of it up on youtube with no commentary. It's the exact same experience, but without you doing all of the repetitive things in the game, like walking around empty corridors. Alternatively, just don't bother. It's not worth the time investment. :sigh:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Nulled: Rage

I heard from a few sources that this game isn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be on release and I should give it a try, and from that I have concluded that those people are full of poo poo and I shouldn't trust their taste in games, because it blows.

The levels are completely linear snorefests, the weapons, enemies, and setting are both boring and unoriginal, and everything is aggressively, tediously brown. On top of that, despite being released in 2011 to much fanfare about its superior graphics technology, this game looks awful even on the highest graphics settings! Weapons and enemies are clear and crisp but the environment textures are muddy, blurry, overfiltered garbage that make everything look like it's been smeared with vaseline and actually start hurting my eyes after a while. Extremely visible and obvious texture pop-in as you look around doesn't help, either.

I don't know, I still have positive memories of Rage from 2011. Turns out you can unlock "high res" textures, or rather they were built into the game anyway but disabled due to memory concerns. It was also one of the few shooters of its time that threw out the 2 weapon limit, and there were some versatility to them like the wingstick, RC bomb, and crossbow. And sure the game looked drab but the animations were hand crafted so everything felt like it packed a punch compared to every other shooter which used simple ragdolls.

But gently caress it, the game was obsolete when Wolfenstein hit. And in this post-Doom world there's no need to revisit it.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Nulled: Rodea the Sky Soldier

Okay, so the entire premise of the game is basically flying around using Sonic the Hedgehog's air ball attack. You can even hit coins and auto zoom the same way he does when he hits rings. So imagine that as a 3D platformer with the following:
No camera control via buttons (on the Wii version you move the camera by moving the cursor to the sides of the screen)
No jump button
Waggle to attack
Ability to lose your long range flight ability in a game about air mobility

The game had promise, but man it was not fun to play. I even tried the Wii U version to see if I just hated the Wii version, but it wasn't any better, if not worse.

I'm learning that I really hate waggle controls in games that require precision or aiming.

Backlog:
Ratchet and Clank
Batman: Arkham Knight
Final Fantasy Type 0
Uncharted 2
World of Final Fantasy
MGS5 GOTY
DOOM
Tearaway-Unfolded
Until Dawn
Witcher 3 GOTY
Dark Souls 3 (waiting for last DLC to drop so I can play everything in one fell swoop)
Digimon-Cyber Sleuth
Titanfall 2
Tales from the Borderlands

Rhythm Heaven Fever
Ghost Squad
Pikmin (Wii)
Pikmin 2 (after 1)
The Last Story
Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Team (After New Blood)
Xenoblade Chronicles
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Mario 3D World
New Super Luigi Bros
#FE
Paper Mario Color Splash
Yoshi's Wooly World
Bayonetta 2
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD
Starfox Zero/Guard
Pikmin 3 (after 1 and 2)

Looks like Rhythm Heaven Fever was the next game chosen.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

quote:

But gently caress it, the game was obsolete when Wolfenstein hit. And in this post-Doom world there's no need to revisit it.

Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty great. One of the few modern shooters I unreservedly enjoyed. I could listen to that particle beam warm up all day. :allears:

The new Doom looks pretty neat, but not $80-and-a-bunch-of-DRM-bullshit neat.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

ToxicFrog posted:

Wolfenstein 2009 was pretty great. One of the few modern shooters I unreservedly enjoyed. I could listen to that particle beam warm up all day. :allears:

The new Doom looks pretty neat, but not $80-and-a-bunch-of-DRM-bullshit neat.

All the DLC is just multiplayer stuff, and the 'bullshit DRM' (Denuvo) has been removed. It's also only $20 right now, and worth every penny.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

All the DLC is just multiplayer stuff, and the 'bullshit DRM' (Denuvo) has been removed. It's also only $20 right now, and worth every penny.

Oh sweet, I had no idea they'd removed the DRM. Thanks for the pointer!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing Doom in 2017 was like playing Doom in 1993. They're not the same by design, but they changed the established formula of their genre so much that I'm going to judge everything that comes after.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Yay, not playing extremely lovely games is fun!

Finished: Alchemy Mysteries: Prague Legends
It's a Hidden Object Game, so some might classify it as extremely lovely. It wasn't really that good either, but again, I like to play these games just to chill.

Finished: Azada
I thought this was another HOG, but it's basically just all the minigames from a HOG, and the lovely story. No navigating around a map and no real HO scenes. There are adventure-lite scenes that could fall into the HO genre, but it's more puzzle than finding 2 sticks of dynamite and a cigar.
An updated version is about to be released soon.

Finished: Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair
A bad-rear end 3rd person shooter that Kragger and I completed on Normal difficulty.
Except for the initial shock of the giant spiders, I had a blast playing it, and it was the perfect co-op weekend game.

Finished: Lego Indiana Jones 2
I love the old Lego games, but I'm not really sure how I feel about this one:
You can unlock the 3 previous Indy games, which is great if you have never played them before, but I already finished them.
The movie sucked and I couldn't remember anything from it, so I couldn't really relate to the 3-4 chapters.
It was really confusing how the hub kept changing to a new location, and you basically had to exit the game, then start previous one to get to a particular hub and do bonus/secret levels.

Finished: Watch_Dogs 2
That is one beautiful game!
Just driving around in the Bay area, doing side missions, picking up money and skill points (the collectathon part of the game) is awesome.
I wasn't that crazy about the soundtrack, but I guess it just shows my age compared to the quality of the tracks.
I had a blast doing the side missions, doing Uber/cab driving and bike + drone racing, but sailing sucked donkey balls and the cart racing was only possible to win if you had maxed out your battery thing.
The main missions themselves... Eh. Some of them were fun but a lot of them were also a slog. When some of your skills are upgraded, you can at some point just lean back and call in other gangs/the cops to take care of any enemies. It can take a while but the alternative is either frustrating stealth or shootouts where you die VERY quickly.
Forced car chases in lovely cars, while you try to focus on getting away, knowing well that the conversation has to end before you can actually win this mission, also suck donkey balls.
All in all, it's way better than WD1, but I probably won't buy any expansions.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Resident Evil 5

The natural point of comparison here is RE4, since it's almost identical in terms of gameplay and is a sequel plot-wise. So how does it hold up?

Pretty well, actually! I was dubious of the whole "NPC ally" idea, but they managed to pull it off; there was only one place in the entire game where I found myself swearing at them, and that was, I think, a legitimate glitch rather than just subpar AI. It doesn't really handle like a normal PC shooter, but despite that the controls work fine with keyboard and mouse, and the addition of a level select is welcome (albeit extremely open to exploitation).

The plot is of course a trash fire, but I expect nothing less from Resident Evil.

Overall, I didn't enjoy this as much as RE4 and I'm probably not going to replay it (since the only difference with picking a different character is that you see a few different rooms in a minority of levels), but it was still a solid zombieshoots game. I do miss the Mine Launcher, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The next 50 list is ready, these capped it off. i'm just gonna paste what i wrote down for the list

BEATEN: World of Goo (4hr) - This one's been around for a while huh. You use goo balls to construct massive towers and bridges to reach the pipe at the end of each level. With slightly-chaotic physics it's easier said than done.

BEATEN: TRI (16hr) -It's not that TRI is a bad game but that there's too much of it and the puzzles just get too impossible. In TRI you are given the ability to make triangular platforms (each point has to stick to an edge or to another triangle, but those are the only rules). Eventually you gain the ability to magnetize to the triangles which really allows for interesting traversal.

BEATEN: Pumped BMX+ (5hr) - Trials-style game that is trick-heavy ala OlliOlli. I really liked the first couple of tiers of levels but the final three tiers of levels descend into that lame kind of ultra-precise platforming that really prevents any kind of fun trick/combo making. Which kind of deflates the fun of the game, since all the fun is in the doing tricks and combos. But you can't really do them if you want to land properly and maintain proper speed to make it over several obstacles.

BEATEN: Twisted Lands Trilogy (2hr each) - HIDDEN OBJECT GAMES

BEATEN: Goetia (7hr) - Point'n'click by Square Enix's indie offshoot where you play a ghost that is investigating what amounts to a ghost town (no pun intended) and formerly opulent but now deserted mansion. As a ghost you don't have an inventory but you can possess items and float them around in order to use them on other items. There's a little existentialism in here although you're also occasionally communicating with demons, so. Oddly the game has a bit of a Metroidvania bent to it, where you acquire new powers as well as disable barriers that allow you to explore more of the mansion.

BEATEN: LIT (1hr) - The former Wiiware-then-mobile game from Wayforward finally makes it to Steam. This is a REALLY short game (can get Bad Ending within an hour). The mechanics are simple - stay out of the dark or die. Lamps can light up a 3x3 square but you need lightbulbs, TVs light up 6 squares but only one can be on at a time, and windows can light up an entire row/column but need to be shattered with a slingshot. The length is a little bit of a bummer because the game ends right when the puzzles start to get really challenging. A little too much of the game consists of levels that feel tutorial-ly.

And then today..

BEATEN: Bit Trip Runner 1 + 2 (3.5 hrs each) - okayyyyy these really should have been better. I actually think Harmoknight does the musical runner better, even though Gaijingames got two cracks at it. Harmoknight's music is far more varied while the entire Bit Trip Runner soundtrack is the same tempo in C major. like.. cmon guys

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 27, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
NULLED: Darkest Dungeon. Love everything about this game but the game itself. I've now beat every level 1 and 2 dungeon and moving on just feels like the same thing I've been doing but with steeper consequences. Which is fine, but there's not very much new going on, here. The class intermixing was great, and the risk/reward was great, and the art is wonderful but...gently caress, every round is just, move in, kill some guys, leave, form secondary party, go in, kill things, leave, and then o poo poo dude doesn't want to go in because he's too high a level. Ah well.

BEATEN: Project Highrise. Well, by "beat" I mean I can't accept anymore contracts as I've finished them all. It's an okay game, but didn't rekindle the magic of Sim/Yoot Tower from the long ago.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BEATEN/COMPLETED: Mini Metro! With every single achievement, including that godawful Auckland one! :woop:

98% of Mini Metro is a chill puzzler where you draw loops and lines and moves passengers to the right stations. You can practically meditate with it as you watch your trains go back and forth and untangle knots, and I really enjoyed it for that.

2% of Mini Metro is a tense hell where you're rushing to optimize your lines to their limit, so you can run triage with extra lines all over the map as you race to keep overcrowding down so you can hit the right number to score an achievement. This is the case for roughly 2-4 achievements, Auckland and San Francisco being the ones that come to mind most here, and they're hugely optional - but I did most of them and figured I'd finish it, and hoo boy. Auckland.

Anyways: game is good, glad I played it! I might boot it back up here and there to go for ongoing daily challenges, or to poke at Extreme mode - but for now, I'm all trained out. gently caress you, Auckland.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Completed: Dishonored 2
I'm not sure if I posted this already. This game is amazing. Does everything Dishonored 1 does but better. I got every last achievement so boom, completed.

Beaten: Bioshock 2
People seem to hate this but I thought it was great. Bioshock 1 and Infinite are better but this was still a great time.

Beaten: Rex Rocket
I didn't technically beat it. But this game has been sitting unplayed for a bit. I came pretty close to beating the last boss but I don't like the game enough to spend an hour memorizing boss patterns. That said, it is a good game, just tough.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Nulled: Rhythm Heaven Fever
This is a cool game..if you have Rhythm. I do not. It took me an embarrassing amount of time to pass the first game. I got to the 7th game, wanted to give up, barely passed it, then got to the 9th game and want to give up. Some combo of not being musically incline and my set up having input lag killed it for me. I appreciated it for only needed two buttons to play, and a 2P mode that will maybe be useful someday in the distant future.

Backlog
1 Ratchet and Clank
2 Batman: Arkham Knight
3 Final Fantasy Type 0
4 Uncharted 2
5 World of Final Fantasy
6 MGS5 GOTY
7 DOOM
8 Tearaway-Unfolded
9 Until Dawn
10 Witcher 3 GOTY
11 Digimon-Cyber Sleuth
12 Titanfall 2
13 Tales from the Borderlands

Ghost Squad
14 Pikmin (Wii)
Pikmin 2 (after 1)
15 The Last Story
16 Trauma Center: New Blood
Trauma Team (After New Blood)
17 Xenoblade Chronicles
18 Super Mario Galaxy 2

19 Mario 3D World
20 New Super Luigi Bros
21 #FE
22 Paper Mario Color Splash
23 Yoshi's Wooly World
24 Bayonetta 2
25 Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
26 Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD
27 Starfox Zero/Guard
28 Captain Toad
Pikmin 3 (after 1 and 2)

Roulette ended on Until Dawn. I'm going to need a fresh diapey

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 28, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The Witness - Excellent excellent puzzle game, the documentaries/audiologs are pure eye roll. The bonus ending actually put some stuff into context and I got it a lot, despite the wonky direction/acting of it.

BEATEN: RHEM IV - Oooooooooooooooold school Myst style game, with extremely confusing puzzles, 640x480 resolution, awkwardly ugly FMV. it's not a great game but i still found it i guess charming in how earnest it was.

BEATEN: Creepy Castle - See my review in the steam thread.

ON BREAK: Pulse Shift - I may yet finish this game but it's become such a slog. The game has cheats in the menu for deactivating fall damage and unlimited energy and I might use those if I want to take it the rest of the way.

UP NEXT: Memoria, Virginia, My Night Job, HoPiKo, Stardew Valley (Year 1 Summer)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: The Witness - Excellent excellent puzzle game, the documentaries/audiologs are pure eye roll. The bonus ending actually put some stuff into context and I got it a lot, despite the wonky direction/acting of it.

Does the Witness actually have a plot? I was under the impression that's all puzzles, all pretty imagery, all the time. Plus a video about...pee? Because art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like the audio logs read by B list voice actor celebrities although I hear the actual direction of the game is a middle finger to them which just makes me hate Blow as a designer even more.