Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
That's a great looking bass, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

HandlingByJebus posted:

Holy loving poo poo I'm glad I bought this head. It sounds amazing on nearly every setting. It's touch-sensitive in ways that I've never experienced outside of modelling / tubes. It breaks up beautifully. It's warm and loud as hell, but still sounds great quiet! What the poo poo, everybody needs one of these.

The clean channel with the gain dimed, bass at 5 and treble at 7-8 is insane. Light = clean, heavy = creamy blues distortion. Dirty channel with gain at 7 and backed off guitar volume gives chimey clean at the edge of breakup and then just loving roars when you dig the pick in. Brought it to practice last night and the rest of the band just kept grinning after every song: "everything sounds better today" being the general consensus.

I am in love. The Katana may not get a lot of use in the foreseeable future. The Mesa Transatlantic is definitely for sale now.

I really like the idea of the CR120 but did you do any comparisons to a Rockerverb or similar? Orange seems to be doing analog solid state really loving well and in demos I watch it's hard to tell which one's the CR and which is the RV. Then again, YouTube audio. Any experiences in comparing the two would be great.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Carbohydrates posted:

I'm looking for something with P90s, a wraparound bridge, and a nice fat neck.
Hmmm, may I suggest:

PRS Soapbar SE.

Love this, quite to my surprise.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

I didn't make my joke that you would say buy both and yet you still one upped it.

I'm always striving to be better, both as a musician and as a poo poo poster :v:

widefault posted:

Ordered a Fender Coronado Bass II from Amazon because it was marked down to $493 and they're normally $749.99. Just got my ship notification, and looked and the price is back up to $750. I don't really play bass much, and the Mexican P-bass I have has always been good enough, but at that price I can sorta justify it.

hell yes!

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

syntaxfunction posted:

I really like the idea of the CR120 but did you do any comparisons to a Rockerverb or similar? Orange seems to be doing analog solid state really loving well and in demos I watch it's hard to tell which one's the CR and which is the RV. Then again, YouTube audio. Any experiences in comparing the two would be great.

I bought it without having played one ($400 is a reasonable gamble when I can realistically flip it for $350 without blinking if I don't like it) - just listened to all of the YouTube demos.

This is the guy who really sold me on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qhnFq3Ayw - Dave Simpson has a series called "How many tones can you get out of a single amp?" and the range he gets just blew my mind. I did watch several "RV vs. CR120" comparos as well, and I couldn't hear the difference on YouTube.

Having built, bought, and played through a lot of tube amps, I feel like I've got a good idea about what makes them "better" than what people (including pre-CR120 me) think of solid state amps. The CR120 doesn't feel like a solid state amp. It doesn't play like a solid state amp. It sure as hell doesn't sound like a solid state amp. Orange should be extremely proud of this amp, it really is an incredible piece of engineering.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Get both, and a Classic Vibe Telecaster

Serious question: did I make a mistake getting a MIM Tele instead of a Classic Vibe? People rave about those things.
e: I bought it like 2 years ago so I couldn't return it or anything, just curious.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
MIM Fender still says Fender on the headstock so it will be worth more.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

sout posted:

Serious question: did I make a mistake getting a MIM Tele instead of a Classic Vibe? People rave about those things.
e: I bought it like 2 years ago so I couldn't return it or anything, just curious.

No way, MIM Teles are awesome and I'd happily play either

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

sout posted:

Well, do you like your MIM tele? Don't start doubting yourself just because people are raving about this other great thing. MIM Fender makes really great stuff; I've owned several.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
MIM Fender guitars are pretty rad. So are the Bassbreakers (even if it wasn't my bag at the end).

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I've been totally happy with my MIM so it's cool.
Besides, if I was gunna buy a new guitar I'd make it one with a whammy bar, bending harmonics is cool and good imo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

sout posted:

My CV Tele sounds, looks, plays, and has better quality control than any MIA Tele I've personally had my hands on. But! If you like your MIM then that's all that matters. The grass isn't greener.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
My MIM Standard Tele has been an absolute joy. Far exceeded my expectations.

P.S. - Fender Blues Jr. arrived this morning. No time to play it now, gotta get to work. Sooooon.

(New glass arrives Saturday.)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HandlingByJebus posted:

Having built, bought, and played through a lot of tube amps, I feel like I've got a good idea about what makes them "better" than what people (including pre-CR120 me) think of solid state amps. The CR120 doesn't feel like a solid state amp. It doesn't play like a solid state amp. It sure as hell doesn't sound like a solid state amp. Orange should be extremely proud of this amp, it really is an incredible piece of engineering.

Old partially transistorized amp designs (especially solid state preamp, tube power amp models, but not just those) often sounded good and were usually not priced as extra cheap. I think solid state got a reputation for sounding bad when it became the go-to technology for little garbage practice amps that suck thanks to the simplicity of mass-production with solid-state circuits. There've been examples through the years of good sounding solid-state amps that don't blow up when you crank them. That amp sounds really nice in demos, I bet I can find one locally to try in-store, I'd like to give it a shot.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HandlingByJebus posted:

I bought it without having played one ($400 is a reasonable gamble when I can realistically flip it for $350 without blinking if I don't like it) - just listened to all of the YouTube demos.

This is the guy who really sold me on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qhnFq3Ayw - Dave Simpson has a series called "How many tones can you get out of a single amp?" and the range he gets just blew my mind. I did watch several "RV vs. CR120" comparos as well, and I couldn't hear the difference on YouTube.

That is because there is nothing stopping a solid state amp from sounding as good as a tube amp. Slew rate, headroom, even/odd order harmonics, reasonable filtering, blah blah blah. All of this can and has been tweaked to make some great solid state sounds.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agreed posted:

I think solid state got a reputation for sounding bad when it became the go-to technology for little garbage practice amps that suck thanks to the simplicity of mass-production with solid-state circuits

and most of that's because they're low-powered combos with tiny poo poo speakers

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

fyodor posted:

That is because there is nothing stopping a solid state amp from sounding as good as a tube amp. Slew rate, headroom, even/odd order harmonics, reasonable filtering, blah blah blah. All of this can and has been tweaked to make some great solid state sounds.

See my rant on this exact subject in the Stupid Music Stuff thread.

This is not because of those things, earlier / many SS amps sound like poo poo when pushed in spite of them. IMO.

e: This rant

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 22, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HandlingByJebus posted:

See my rant on this exact subject in the Stupid Music Stuff thread.

This is not because of those things, earlier / many SS amps sound like poo poo when pushed in spite of them. IMO.

e: This rant

You were my inspiration. :)

I think several of the modern "amp in a can pedals" (some of which I own) are fantastic examples of this very idea since they are pretty much straight-up preamplifiers and they sound great and "warm" and holy moly they use jfets and transistors and diodes!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

sout posted:

At least part of what makes people rave about the CV Tele is the value for money factor. It's easy to be impressed when you pay so little.

I do like my CV Tele a lot more than any MIM Tele I've played but that has more to do with gloss neck and the vintage style hardware (as well as that intangible feeling of 'clicking' with a particular guitar). It was definitely no fault of the MIMs that made me feel that way.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

Today I got my dream rig

I don't know what to do with myself now (other than sell the Mark V 25 above it)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So I picked up a few things since the Ibanez:

Babby's first bass amp! A lil' previous gen Ampeg BA-108, for forty freakin bux.

A Crybaby Mini, to replace the Moog MF Drive + expression pedal on my board.

Not that the Moog wasn't awesome, it just took up waaaay too much space as a wah, so I decided to use it as a drive, took the Pickle and Mighty Red off for now and put the Rat on, and now I have space at the top of the board for some modulation/compression/noise gate if I decide to do that!

And these finally showed up today:

Nailbombs for the Ibanez!

I just got done installing them, and while I may have hosed something up (they're kinda noisy in the single HB positions), they sound fantastic in all positions, particularly the paired split inner coils (assuming, again, I didn't gently caress up the install). Highly recommended, especially while the pound is so weak against the dollar! They wound up costing me about what a pair of Seth Lovers go for. :D

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Some good purchases on this page

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Coronado got here today, and I'm pretty happy so far. Won't get a chance to plug it into an amp until the weekend, mostly to be nice to my neighbor. Needs to have the intonation adjusted, but is otherwise good enough for my amateur hands.

Only things that are going to take getting used to are the short scale and the width of the body. This is a good 1" wider than my old Harmony, and that has always felt huge to me.

Now I just need to watch for a guitar version.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I like short scale basses a lot. I'm 3 to 2 on short vs long scale basses, and I could probably get rid of one of the long scale.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Got my new Fender Blues Jr. and it was awesome, for seven minutes, before I heard a pop and smelled burning components and the signal turned all into noise! Yay!

I'm not even kidding, from power-on to "pop" was more than five but less than ten minutes. It is now sitting by my door, sealed back up in its box, with a return shipping label on it. Once the store gets it back (after I schlep it to the UPS store tomorrow morning) they'll ship me out another one! Woo hoo!

I noticed just moments ago, when I set it on the floor to prepare it for its return to the thick plastic bag from whence it came just a day before, that it still smelled like burnt components. Much like the smell that lingered in my place for a month after a CRT monitor fried itself. I have sealed that smell into the plastic bag so that Fender may enjoy it, too!

P.S. - New JJ Tubes arrived yesterday, they haven't been opened yet. Better luck next time, me!

P.P.S. - Wanna post a picture of the box and say, "I'm the big 'OK' written in black marker on the side," but :effort:.

P.P.P.S. -

peter gabriel posted:

Some good purchases on this page
LOL sorry guys. Next week, I'll try again.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 24, 2017

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Literally Elvis posted:

Today I got my dream rig

I don't know what to do with myself now (other than sell the Mark V 25 above it)

My long-time guitarist friend & collaborator had this rig back in the day, with two 4x12's plus a twin reverb for cleans. It was loving stupid, but sounded rad.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

That sucks man, hope the next one arrives bulletproof

It's a great sounding amp, the first few minutes didn't lie.

I got a new thing, I got Amplitube Fender Collection 2. It's real good, if you like Fender tweed tones. Well, also a real old Bassman, and probably my favorite, a '65 Super Reverb model that gets it right. Making me miss my telecaster so bad though, it'd be a perfect fit. Gotta look into what imports people are digging these days - Rondo still good?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 24, 2017

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

LOL yep I totally botched the install on the BKPs, I was using a DiMarzio wiring diagram for 2 4-wire pups in the 5ws Ibanez config, but I now see there's one on BKP's site, and it's totally different, so I'm gonna give that a go this evening.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Literally Elvis posted:

Today I got my dream rig

Congrats!

I recently bought a Triaxis as well for my rack, and the one piece of advice I'd like to give you is this:

This preamp is awesome, and it becomes 10x more awesome when you add outboard EQ. Seriously, try adding some kind of external EQ to either the Triaxis' fx loop or right in line between the preamp and power amp. The Dynamic Voice control basically simulates 16 different preset EQ curves ranging from flat to the classic Mark EQ scooped "V", but the way it scoops mids ends up making the tone just a bit too hollow without necessarily sounding any bigger or more full. Adding your own EQ lets you tailor that EQ curve into exactly what you want.

Also, you're lucky. Mesa just discontinued the Triaxis this year. Either they think rack gear is going the way of the dinosaur or they're replacing it with something newer. The cynic in me suspects we probably aren't going to see a Triaxis II any time soon though.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 25, 2017

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress your Triaxis.

I just got a Boss DS-1 on sale for 40 bucks.

What a great little box. It's the world's most generic distortion pedal, but that's what makes it so bloody fantastic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just remember they are gloriously "tone-sucking buffered bypass."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

H13 posted:

gently caress your Triaxis.

I just got a Boss DS-1 on sale for 40 bucks.

What a great little box. It's the world's most generic distortion pedal, but that's what makes it so bloody fantastic.

It got to the point of being generic because so many people use one or at least a circuit based off of one :v:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Shugojin posted:

It got to the point of being generic because so many people use one or at least a circuit based off of one :v:

Also, Boss used the same 2sc2240 op-amp in most of their pedals of that era plus the 1n4148 clipping diodes are straight out of a Tube Screamer. Lots of similar in one box.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Tatumje posted:

If anyone was also in the market for a used St. Vincent Signature, there is currently one on the Guitar Center website for $1,150 with the hard case. I'd be all over it at that price, but I'm still holding out for one in blue or white.

Saw that and was so tempted. I tried and LOVED the clean sounds on the St. Vincent sig even though the guitar was meant to be fuzz'd. I don't know if I'd pay the full price tag for it, but drat if a Vincent blue one popped up for a reasonable, I'd totally get it.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Saw that and was so tempted. I tried and LOVED the clean sounds on the St. Vincent sig even though the guitar was meant to be fuzz'd. I don't know if I'd pay the full price tag for it, but drat if a Vincent blue one popped up for a reasonable, I'd totally get it.

The guitar is worth it. And the clean sounds are very cool, if not super-super clear. It's mt favourite Ernie Ball at the moment. :)

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

HandlingByJebus posted:

The guitar is worth it. And the clean sounds are very cool, if not super-super clear. It's mt favourite Ernie Ball at the moment. :)

Was looking at that used black St. Vincent on Guitar Center daily, but it's gone family ;_; The one that got away.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That guitar looks like you are holding a tuxedo mannequin sideways. And that is somehow still very cool.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fyodor posted:

That guitar looks like you are holding a tuxedo mannequin sideways. And that is somehow still very cool.

It looking like a bow tie initially put me off it but I warmed to it and now really want one

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It looks like someone made Klaus Nomi in guitar form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thumposaurus posted:

It looks like someone made Klaus Nomi in guitar form.

that was actually what they were going for