Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

ImPureAwesome posted:

They were bought and the company that bought them are trying to sell archive access and premium content to try to turn their app into podcast Netflix

Midroll was a merger between The Mid Roll and Earwolf. They then created Howl. They are all one thing, not one company buying another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Seeso and MaxFun do not cross pollinate. All I'm saying is that if you dig this TV show, you might want to tweet/facebook to Seeso that you subbed for MBMBaM and you want more, and perhaps they will get a second season.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bunky posted:

Seeso and MaxFun do not cross pollinate. All I'm saying is that if you dig this TV show, you might want to tweet/facebook to Seeso that you subbed for MBMBaM and you want more, and perhaps they will get a second season.

And maybe get other good podcasts a show like Oh No, Ross and Carrie.
Though they do get obnoxious sometimes.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Inzombiac posted:

i don't think a show like oh no, ross and carrie would work as a tv show
like, at all

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
I was rewatching the episode on YouTube and my five-year-old boy came into the room to tell me that his brother did a hit on him. That's some brand synchronicity.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Seeso is US only which is pretty insane seeing they have a lot of international stuff on there. I'd definitely sub for Harmonquest + MBMBAM but can't!

It looks like Seeso is owned by NBC, which kinda makes sense - yet another US company that thinks the world ends at Maine & Alaska. I'm a bit cheesed.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The international stuff is almost certainly why we can't get it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
First episode of mbmbam show on youtube was pretty darn entertaining

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

well why not posted:

It looks like Seeso is owned by NBC, which kinda makes sense - yet another US company that thinks the world ends at Maine & Alaska. I'm a bit cheesed.

You've got it backwards. NBC wants all the international seeso subscription money they could possibly get, but they have to negotiate and pay for the licence for every show they don't specifically own themselves. They have to pay for this content to be shown in every possible country they open it up to. This is why Netflix has different content available depending on the county - licencing rights.
Setting that up on a per-country basis is a nightmare that Netflix knows all too well, that's why keeping things to just America is the better model if you're not Netflix.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Easier for them, yes, but I wouldn't call it 'better' because it is completely non-functional for me.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
To put licencing costs in terrible perspective, Netflix has 93 million users averaging :10bux: a month and they still can't afford this poo poo.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Scudworth posted:

To put licencing costs in terrible perspective, Netflix has 93 million users averaging :10bux: a month and they still can't afford this poo poo.

They still can't afford what?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thexerox123 posted:

They still can't afford what?
licensing?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

bowmore posted:

licensing?

Netflix pretty clearly can afford licensing. Licenses being exclusively held by other companies already in other regions would tend to be the bigger problem.

Regions other than the US get their own exclusive title libraries, though.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Scudworth posted:

Midroll was a merger between The Mid Roll and Earwolf. They then created Howl. They are all one thing, not one company buying another.

I think he was referring to Earwolf/Midroll getting bought out by E.W. Scripps. They started Howl just before that sale, but still.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Netflix's problem is less that they can't afford licensing costs and more that companies (especially cable companies) now view Netflix as a direct competitor and intentionally don't renew licenses with the company to push people to watch the content on their own proprietary streaming services like Hulu. Think about it: does Netflix really have any benefit from losing shows that people want to watch? People like to bite on Netflix all the time for how much content has left the service since launch as if Netflix could really do anything about it.

That's why Netflix has had such a big push towards original content in recent years, by the way -- in the worst case scenario where cable companies just completely cut the service out, they still want to have a backbone of shows people will still want to watch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

flatluigi posted:

That's why Netflix has had such a big push towards original content in recent years, by the way -- in the worst case scenario where cable companies just completely cut the service out, they still want to have a backbone of shows people will still want to watch.

Additionally, since Netflix themselves own this content, they retain broadcasting rights worldwide, avoiding the region problem.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Inzombiac posted:

Ditto and Juice still working for Polygon makes sense since they are both enmeshed with their video series. And, c'mon, it's not like writing about video games is laborious work.

No, but consistently making content that is actually funny is

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

thexerox123 posted:

Netflix pretty clearly can afford licensing. Licenses being exclusively held by other companies already in other regions would tend to be the bigger problem.

Regions other than the US get their own exclusive title libraries, though.

Canadian Netflix is garbage

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

exclusive garbage!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Greatbacon posted:

If you consider that MBMBAM has close to 2-3 million active listeners, and only 0.5% of those listeners donate to MaxFun at the minimum level, that's at least $50K a month. And if you say that between distribution among all contributors to the network, the network's cut, overhead, and taxes they maybe only see $15K of that a month for all three? That's the functional equivalent of a 90K a year salary per dude, for what is essentially an hour and a half of them bullshitting on skype over the weekend and maybe another hour or two of editing. And that's before any cuts for ad revenue and shutouts.

Not only are you magically inventing 30K a year per person on top of your already specious estimates, but I think you're understating the effort involved pretty significantly

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ALFbrot posted:

Not only are you magically inventing 30K a year per person on top of your already specious estimates, but I think you're understating the effort involved pretty significantly

Editing takes a looooong time

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

It has improved significantly in the last 5 years. It is not nearly as garbage as it used to be.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Asiina posted:

It has improved significantly in the last 5 years. It is not nearly as garbage as it used to be.

It's still garbage

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Editing takes a looooong time

Also, each brother is their own separate source, so Griffin has to make sure that 3 separate recordings sync up perfectly. I'm sure he has a lot of drinking and crunching and chewing to edit out each week, too. It's probably not as much editing as a lot of podcasts out there, but it's probably a decent amount at least.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Also, for most people, writing about anything is a laborious process, especially if you're trying to do it right. There are some writers who can hook themselves up to a direct pipeline from god and just let the words flow, and we hate them with a passion.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Serf posted:

direct pipeline from god

To the layman, this is called "bourbon and narcotics."

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

No, but consistently making content that is actually funny is

Yep - I write (boring grant reports, not comedy) for a living, and consistently producing decent writing on a deadline that hits specific requirements, targets a specific audience, and is in line with the house style requires a lot more effort than the end product might suggest. Especially because if you're doing it well, it ought to sound like it didn't take all that effort. It's very different from writing a novel or a personal essay or something.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

I've never seen a podcast so centered around the hosts jerking themselves off over how smart they are

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

exclusive garbage!

does it have terrace house?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Farg posted:

I've never seen a podcast so centered around the hosts jerking themselves off over how smart they are

I was under the impression that this was what Jordan Jesse Go was about.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
JJGo is fine if a bit boring. On Oh No you can hear the contempt and self satisfaction dripping from every word whenever they describe interacting with someone.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well the people they are talking to are literally snake oil salesmen and cult leaders. How much contempt is appropriate for people like that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

purple death ray posted:

Well the people they are talking to are literally snake oil salesmen and cult leaders. How much contempt is appropriate for people like that

it's more that they seem to be under the impression everyone in their audience is PRO snake oil? So like, every episode is just two unfunny nerds going "Oh my GOD I can't believe you thought this was true" as they jerk each other off.

Also their original pitch was to be a general fringe thing where it'd include stuff like just kinda weird communities and groups and all that could use maybe some representation, but it's a lot easier to just laugh at retards who buy boner pills.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Farg posted:

JJGo is fine if a bit boring. On Oh No you can hear the contempt and self satisfaction dripping from every word whenever they describe interacting with someone.
JJGo should be listened to if you like the guest. If you need a recent in, #443 with Dave Shumka works pretty well, as his podcast SPY is basically the same format.

ONRaC just pick a topic that you have a particular disdain for and you might enjoy the dogpile. They're not always that bad tonally but it's much easier to notice if you know nothing about what they're talking about.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

does it have terrace house?
It do, and it gets Riverdale weekly, which is OK if you like that kind of thing.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SpacePig posted:

Also, each brother is their own separate source, so Griffin has to make sure that 3 separate recordings sync up perfectly.

If I've learned anything from let's plays, it's that this part is actually really easy. You just get everyone to say "1, 2, 3, sync" at the same time, and use that as your sync point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it's more that they seem to be under the impression everyone in their audience is PRO snake oil? So like, every episode is just two unfunny nerds going "Oh my GOD I can't believe you thought this was true" as they jerk each other off.

Also their original pitch was to be a general fringe thing where it'd include stuff like just kinda weird communities and groups and all that could use maybe some representation, but it's a lot easier to just laugh at retards who buy boner pills.

That does sound pretty obnoxious. I admit I haven't listened to the show in a couple of years. The Tony Alamo cult was the last one I remember.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I'm no huge fan of Ross and Carrie but from the few episodes I've listened to that's not the impression I got at all.

Even at places like the creation museum their ire was squarely focused on the people running it, not even followers.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Does anyone know what time Seeso puts stuff up usually? I want to know if I'm going to be able to watch the show in the morning or if I'll have to way until the night.

Piell fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just thinking about the Suffering Game arc and I remembered something a while ago that I think might be relevant to the long-teased possibility of one of the characters actually dying.

In Crystal Kingdom, Noelle and the other robo-ghosts were able to understand information which had been destroyed by the Voidfish. Later the Director said that maybe people who had gone to the Astral Plane and back were immune to the Voidfish's effects. We know that all three of the guys have some extra Voidfish-style brain-static that has never been explained, and we know that other Voidfish exist. What if the point of potentially killing one of the characters was to reveal whatever information has been erased from their memories?