Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We used ikkle occle chocolate bottle you are out.

Our school was so white in the 1980s that when we were 7 our teacher sat us down in a semi-circle and asked if we had ever seen a black person before. One kid piped up "Yes. In Sheffield" we all nodded in agreement and that was the end of the diversity lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

winegums posted:

Please tell me you have this. If so please upload more pages. tia.

Nah, stole it from Twitter.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

TinTower posted:

jBrereton looks like he's getting help on his Maths homework from Theresa May

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce2dfvDIMUk

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

I'm pretty sure we split the difference with "tigger".

I always heard/said tigger, but as far as I knew that was just the actual words - it was only when the whole Jeremy Clarkson thing happened that I found out there was a racist version.

My younger kids were actually saying eenie meenie minie mo while choosing toys the other day, they said tiger so that must be the version they say up here.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lol:

Did they deliberately make it look like those terrible magazines that appear by the checkout? The ones with headlines full of rape and abuse and a blankly smiling woman on the cover that look designed to appeal only to the villains in Dexter.

They've managed to make something significantly more cringeworthy than The New European, that takes effort.

Prince John posted:

Then Rudyard Kipling wrote a poem for Scouts incorporating it called the Counting Out Song, which is what popularised it in the UK:
Kipling in conjunction with the Scouts popularizing the word itself in the UK would not surprise me at all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I still find it amazing that the best Labour and the Tories could find for an election to block UKIP was a pair of twenty somethings whose twitter they didn't check.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Guavanaut posted:

Did they deliberately make it look like those terrible magazines that appear by the checkout? The ones with headlines full of rape and abuse and a blankly smiling woman on the cover that look designed to appeal only to the villains in Dexter.

They've managed to make something significantly more cringeworthy than The New European, that takes effort.

The national will be eagerly taking notes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I want to know why Labour want to ignore 70% of local people.

(It's immigration, isn't it?)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Guavanaut posted:

That's Life! :v:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

jBrereton posted:

I still find it amazing that the best Labour and the Tories could find for an election to block UKIP was a pair of twenty somethings whose twitter they didn't check.

That's just what you get if you don't parachute in a highly polished career politician. Someone from the local party who was in no way expecting to be thrust onto the national stage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I always heard/said tigger, but as far as I knew that was just the actual words - it was only when the whole Jeremy Clarkson thing happened that I found out there was a racist version.

My younger kids were actually saying eenie meenie minie mo while choosing toys the other day, they said tiger so that must be the version they say up here.

The problem with the shirt is that without any context, you have to guess what it means based on various versions of the rhyme.

And since there's only one version that involves people, and it's a super bad word, everyone except Walking Dead fans are at best going to be hugely confused and at worst assume they're fash and beat them into paté.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

I want to know why Labour want to ignore 70% of local people.

(It's immigration, isn't it?)
It's going to be Snell saying brexit is a massive pile of poo poo, which 70% of Stokians voted for.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

TinTower posted:

Probably a repost, but the "I bonked the milkman" banner kills me every time

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Ahaha, just what I was thinking.

Guavanaut posted:

Take A Brexshit
I BONKED the COUNTRY so hard, the ECONOMY caught FIRE!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

:suicide:

It looks like something written by 19th century philosophical pessimists of the "the will to life is an enigma, where the suffering always outweighs the pleasure" school and then given to Cosmo dropouts to do layout.

e: ^^^ :perfect:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know a woman who makes £400 a week writing those magazine sob stories. £100 is paid to random chavs by the magazine photographer for the pictures.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I have a subscription to Brexit Magazine.

Can I borrow a copy once you've read it? Looks like an enlightening read.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The problem with the shirt is that without any context, you have to guess what it means based on various versions of the rhyme.

And since there's only one version that involves people, and it's a super bad word, everyone except Walking Dead fans are at best going to be hugely confused and at worst assume they're fash and beat them into paté.

I don't think that's how most people's minds work. I see a tshirt with a baseball bat and "eenie weenie" and get told it's a Walking Dead tshirt, i'm assuming it's a guy picking which zombie to hit. You've gotta make a few jumps of logic to assume the person wearing it is a white supremist and it's these kinds of decisions that piss off ordinary people who see it as overbearing and being overly sensitive. It undermines genuine racism because it becomes a "EU bendy bananas" fact (but true) that fascists can fall back on when they're accused of racism.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its a terrible shirt for a terrible show I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yeah, that was possibly a touch hyperbolic. Also it surprises me every time I hear that Walking Dead still exists, just like Supernatural.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Trump may be an abomination but he's technically the President of the United States so if he wants a state visit he gets a state visit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I dont think it's his choice

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jBrereton posted:

It's going to be Snell saying brexit is a massive pile of poo poo, which 70% of Stokians voted for.

Well, obviously you'd know that when you're on the front cover. It's funny that BREXIT magazine have decided to big up the leader of the S-Club fan club rather than the leader of UKIP in Stoke.

Even with the three line whip for Brexit, the Tories are just going to go on pretending Labour are an anti-Brexit party it seems.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Today in Peak Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/22/moonlight-film-critics-moral-high-ground

quote:

Twitter turned on Long. Her review of Moonlight wasn’t just wrong – it was racist. Not to mention snide, snooty and a teeny bit sociopathic. Righteousness rained down, a hailstorm of horror on a tide of piety.

But I’m almost inclined to offer Long a brolly. Critics’ opinions are subjective, and are supposed to be. They must say what they honestly made of a movie rather than parrot the party line. The results might not be edifying, but they are employed to share them. And someone needs to help explain why Bafta voters failed to award Moonlight a single prize, as well as largely snubbing Fences, Denzel Washington’s movie about a refuse collector in 1950s Pittsburgh.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mikerainham/status/834164571439001604?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This would have fascinating implications for Brexit.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Hopefully that's just responding to money down rather than actually sentiment.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Check out the poll posts in the EU thread. Don't rule it out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would not put money down on a horse race between Giant Racist and Massive Homophobe.

Angepain posted:

Today in Peak Guardian

quote:

The Sunday Times critic Camilla Long thought Barry Jenkins’ drama about a black, gay drug dealer growing up in Miami was made for a “non-black, non-gay, non-working class, chin-stroking, self-regarding, turbo smug audience”. She confessed that as a white, middle-class, straight woman whose job didn’t involve trading crack, she found it hard to relate.
So wait, was it made for a non-black, non-gay, non-working class audience or was it incomprehensible to a non-black, non-gay, non-working class audience? It can't be both.

Twitter commentariat are bad tho.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

This would have fascinating implications for Brexit.

Not just Brexit, but Europe as a whole. It will change the landscape of Europe completely; its actually quite shocking how well she is doing lately as she does seem the most competent politician in France.

Also tomorrows by election results are due around 2am, BBC has a This Week special running too at least 3am, if you feel like staying up and watching / setting your alarms.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

namesake posted:

Hopefully that's just responding to money down rather than actually sentiment.
She is virtually certain to win the first round, and is polling at around 58-42 (on the losing side, thankfully) against both her likely second round opponents. Based on the current polls she's unlikely to win, but she's been doing progressively better in second round polls over time and even if she doesn't win, we'll have a situation where over 40% of the French electorate wants to be governed by the National Front, so yeah.... not so good.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

LemonDrizzle posted:

She is virtually certain to win the first round, and is polling at around 58-42 (on the losing side, thankfully) against both her likely second round opponents. Based on the current polls she's unlikely to win, but she's been doing progressively better in second round polls over time and even if she doesn't win, we'll have a situation where over 40% of the French electorate wants to be governed by the National Front, so yeah.... not so good.

You mean over 40% of votes cast. There are many that don't view much of a difference between Fillon and Le Pen. The latest Elabe poll, for example, has turnout in the first round being a sad 57%. Ifop has it on 62%. Opinionway has over 80% of the electorate saying the presidential election is "of bad quality".

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 22, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

it sounds like there isn't much difference between them except he wants to extend the working week so i know who i'd vote for between them

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know how french politics works but isn't La Pen predicted to do well in the first bit then lose the second bit. I remember them discussing it on newsnight last week.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Given the bookies track record on the last two GEs, the referendum, and the last US Presidential election, I'm actually pretty reassured by this.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

Based on the current polls she's unlikely to win
Did I miss something that makes polls worth listening to again? Because 'polls fail to capture surge in right-wing votes' is somewhat in fashion at the moment.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Jippa posted:

I don't know how french politics works but isn't La Pen predicted to do well in the first bit then lose the second bit. I remember them discussing it on newsnight last week.

She was, but then her opponents keep being poo poo while she keeps doing manoeuvres that are increasing her popularity.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Given the bookies track record on the last two GEs, the referendum, and the last US Presidential election, I'm actually pretty reassured by this.

oddschecker has her in second fwiw

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
The betting markets have been overly bullish on Le Pen for months. She's consistently had shorter odds that Trump did despite the fact that Le Pen has a bigger electoral obstacle to overcome. Unfortunately I think that the gap between the market position on Le Pen and her chances is narrowing over time.

Today is an important day. If Bayrou announces his candidacy that will help split the centrist vote and actually give Hamon a chance to pip them to the 2nd round. If Bayrou endorses Macron that'll probably help put him over the top and he has consistently polled better against Le Pen than Fillon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

also gently caress the sun

• Locked thread