Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

The insurance that the lady who hit me has finally got an inspector to come out and look st my car. He's had a few miatas over the years and we hit it off so let's see if this goes over well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is there a guide to taking the NC bumper cover off?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is there a way to turn of hill assist? It's jarring and I hate it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Which would you do:

a) Keep stock 14" wheels on my NA and get Direzza II star specs for $600

b) Upsize to 15" Kosei K1s and star specs for $675

I'm not sure what the quality of K1s is. if I had my druthers I'd splurge on RPF1s but that'd put me at about $1k all in.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I thought the tire selection on Miatas for 14" wheels was getting to be poo poo when I sold mine six years ago. It's the same problem I had with finding good tires in 16-18" wheel sizes for my truck.

I have no opinion on the wheels you've mentioned but I'd do just about anything short of Ronal Bears to get 15" or 16" wheels on a Miata.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
15 inch wheels also open you up to a much wider selection of big brake options.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

craig588 posted:

15 inch wheels also open you up to a much wider selection of big brake options.
Which have no real practical application for almost everyone in this thread.

Bought a spare VVT head so it looks like my plan to spend $3000 to make another 25 horsepower is a go.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I bought 14" wheels and regretted it once I started tire shopping :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was looking to get 14"s for cheaper winter tires but not only they wouldn't fit over the brakes, the tire choice was more limited and the lower prices wouldn't have made up for the pain in the rear end anyway.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I did the impossible guys! I blew a miata motor! Evidently the breaking point is running it for 3 months with no oil (no, I don't want to talk about how big of an idiot I am).

Anyway, I'm shopping for new engines now. I've got a '90 - how much extra work is it to swap a 1.8 in? I don't have an engine hoist, so a swap is going to be an annoying process of mooching off friends regardless. Alternatively, what's a reasonable price for a motor swap on these cars (be it 1.6 or 1.8)? Rspeed is right down the road from me, so I'd probably have them do it, even though it will probably cost a few bucks more. But if I'm already paying someone to do it, I'd rather not have to gently caress around with people unfamiliar with these cars.

edit: 14" tire selection is a pain in the dick and it's only going to get worse as time goes on. Both my summer and winter wheels are 15", and it's well worth the convenience of being able to run basically any tire of merit.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/misc/1.8swap.pdf

I'd recommend reading this. Gives you some ideas of parts you'll need and options for your build.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

-Inu- posted:

I did the impossible guys! I blew a miata motor! Evidently the breaking point is running it for 3 months with no oil (no, I don't want to talk about how big of an idiot I am).

Anyway, I'm shopping for new engines now. I've got a '90 - how much extra work is it to swap a 1.8 in? I don't have an engine hoist, so a swap is going to be an annoying process of mooching off friends regardless. Alternatively, what's a reasonable price for a motor swap on these cars (be it 1.6 or 1.8)? Rspeed is right down the road from me, so I'd probably have them do it, even though it will probably cost a few bucks more. But if I'm already paying someone to do it, I'd rather not have to gently caress around with people unfamiliar with these cars.
Swap in a 99+ motor and thank me later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
LS swap time :getin:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

destructo posted:

I'll keep my eyes out for one. Mazmart is nearby too, and I know they get them in occasionally (they have a 0-mile factory reman NA motor for sale atm :wtchris:).

mobby_6kl posted:

LS swap time :getin:
I was joking about that with some buddies, or if I really want to hate life, a Hayabusa engine. Or, the ultimate comedy option: an R6 engine. A miata that revs to 18-20k sounds like the point where my life would peak.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

destructo posted:

If you're going NB motor and don't go 2001+ I don't know what to say. It's the same swap except you buy the VVT box from DIY and have a Miata that isn't completely gutless around town.

http://www.recyclers.net/detailview.php?partnum=18595&vehicle=18595&vendor=2589375&store=1&searchnum=3

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/vvtuner-valve-timing-control-unit-assembled/

FatCow fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 22, 2017

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The 99 unit with VTCS VICS isn't gutless either, but it's a nobrainer to go for a VVT motor if you can.

Edit: I'm bad.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 22, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
VTCS is the bad manifold.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I misremembered, fixed my post.

VICS was on the BP-4W in 99-00, VTCS is on the BP-Z3 (VVT) engine in 01-05.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 22, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... I really think a 2L MZR would be an even more fun swap though, but maybe I'm crazy...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

One of the NA tuned variants then? The MZR is heavier than the BP afaik, so not sure how beneficial it would be without some power gains.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The MZR is all aluminum. Bare longblock is 163lbs?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Wibla posted:

One of the NA tuned variants then? The MZR is heavier than the BP afaik, so not sure how beneficial it would be without some power gains.

Actually, no. The BP is around 290 pounds with manifolds and accessories but no flywheel, Duratec 2.0 in similar trim is about 240 pounds. Aluminum vs iron block.

(I wouldn't actually suggest this to anyone without fab skills though as it's not like the mounts would work)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I'd put in an Ecotec before an MZR.

If you're just doing a 1.8L swap, a junkyard VVT swap is kind of hard to beat.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I really shouldn't be posting today :v:

Looking up the MZR and yeah, it's all alu and actually lighter :downs:

I still wouldn't bother with one tho, for the same reasons mekilljoydammit posted.

Edit: Comedy option - Get an FE-DOHC / FE3 :sun:

I actually wrecked an '88 626 GT 4WS with the FE3 (FE5A cams and ECU) a few years back, still regret not pulling the motor...

Wibla fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 22, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Phone posted:

Yeah, I'd put in an Ecotec before an MZR.

If you're just doing a 1.8L swap, a junkyard VVT swap is kind of hard to beat.

Out of curiosity, why? From what I can see, the Ecotec head flow seems pretty mediocre and it's heavier than the MZR. Plus, the only OEM RWD transmission that bolts to them (that I know of) has pretty awful gear ratios. If you score a 5-speed MX-5 box, you could swap the tailshaft from an NA or NB over and have a reasonably good set of ratios and only have to deal with front engine mounts. (assuming the engine fits under the hood)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because there's a kit and I don't have to fabricate a bunch of stuff.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh, lol.

Now I just have to make an MZR kit, then...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I installed a new head unit and now my traction control light won't turn off? What's up with that? The button apparently does nothing. Anyone know if in an NC the traction control is linked to the head unit some how? I have no idea

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you're not in a smog check state and want to do a wackadoo engine swap I think K-series is the thing to do.

How far can you push a 1.8 VVT motor if you did PnP w/ the VVT controller before you start getting into internals? Any magic combinations of things besides header / exhaust?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I have a theory that a budget MZR swap may be doable with some thought, but idea's worth about as much as you paid for it at this point. ;)

But hey, pre-96 is emissions exempt here

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some guys were doing an MZR swap from a wrecked MS3 back in 2015 but as far as I know they never finished it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Really tempted to get a set of 15" OZ Superleggeras for my MX-5 :aaaaa:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How many rf miatas are being shipped to the USA? Is this car going to be available on the used market in a few years for normal depreciation or is it too low production

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Well they sell 10K miatas a year total. I would guess maybe max 2,000 RF. Probably less. There are currently 660 for sale at dealers that list on autotrader.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
What were the sales numbers for PRHT NCs?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

How far can you push a 1.8 VVT motor if you did PnP w/ the VVT controller before you start getting into internals? Any magic combinations of things besides header / exhaust?
150whp corrected on a Dynojet with I/H/E for a VVT with EMS. It's a pretty fun time. Racing Beat header, K&N intake (or if you get fancy, the 3d printed over-the-rad donger). MS3Basic.

I'm throwing 264/264 cams in mine this spring along with a head shave & some valvetrain work. Shooting for 170.

destructo fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 24, 2017

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Love those wheels spinnin'

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Phone posted:

VTCS is the bad manifold.

Take the butterflies out and it's the best one for a street driven car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
NA headlight troubleshooting: Lights power on but don't pop up, via stalk or center console button. Pass side adjusts via motor knob, drivers doesn't move. Fuses are good, have not checked relay. Not hearing relay pop/click. Would a blown motor or bad wire on the drivers side cause neither to pop up?