Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death By The Blues posted:

Yea just got a remote auto follow focus so we can do some 70 zooms.

Did you use the highness for the performance.

Nah no highness. I posted some screenshots a few pages back if you want to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I just saw Split. All through the whole thing, I was thinking, "Oh man, this movie is really good!"

And then the final act was super disappointing. :smith:

I came in unspoilered too. All I knew was from one trailer, that James McAvoy has multiple personalities and abducts 3 teenage girls.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 22, 2017

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
ooo already saw. Want to see some moreeeeee.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Jared Leto doesn't have a squad. In fact, he's spent his 22-year career confounding expectations and swan-diving off the pop-culture grid.

Explains his interest in being in Suicide Squad, then.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Face/Off rules, there's nothing not awesome about Nicholas Cage and John Travolta both in their full-cornball period spending an entire movie imitating each other while John Woo just casually out-Michael Bays Michael Bay in the action directing.

To top it off there's a climatic boat chase.

Truly a masterpiece.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Explains his interest in being in Suicide Squad, then.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
drat, I thought I'd made a decent joke. One of these days, Gadget!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Was watching Karate Kid III and someone mentioned that Macchio was actually older than Thomas Ian Griffith. I didn't believe them and checked IMDB. That must've been super awkward on set.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Face/Off is a movie about Nicolas Cage and John Travolta switching faces and then spending 2+ hours making fun of each other's bad acting, and this is somehow the least ridiculous or unlikely thing about it. That movie cranked the camp factor to 11 and then kept turning until the knob broke off the dial.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

James Woods Fan posted:

Was watching Karate Kid III and someone mentioned that Macchio was actually older than Thomas Ian Griffith. I didn't believe them and checked IMDB. That must've been super awkward on set.

Wasn't Cary Grant older than the actress who played his mother in North by Northwest?

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't Cary Grant older than the actress who played his mother in North by Northwest?

He was 8 years younger. Fishburne was only 6 years older than Cuba in Boyz In The Hood. Angelina Jolie was only one year older than Colin Farrell in Alexander.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

The best jump scare is that loving bird in Citizen Kane.

I saw it in 35mm and it was hilarious watching a couple hundred people jump back at the same time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I'm very happy that I've started using my DVR and satellite TV to it's full advantage, I've watched a shitload of good movies thanks to TCM, HBO, and the Studio Channels. Just in the past couple weeks I've watched Blue Velvet, The Lost Weekend and Some Like It Hot, Network, and Hail Caesar for the first time, as well as my first Chaplin, Marx Brothers, and Fred and Ginger movies. And I've since discovered that the Sony Studios channel shows a pair of Godzilla movies at some ungodly hour each weekend so I'm gonna get started watching Godzilla movies that aren't just called Godzilla/Gojira.

Eat your heart out, Netflix.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Wrong thread

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 22, 2017

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm very happy that I've started using my DVR and satellite TV to it's full advantage, I've watched a shitload of good movies thanks to TCM, HBO, and the Studio Channels. Just in the past couple weeks I've watched Blue Velvet, The Lost Weekend and Some Like It Hot, Network, and Hail Caesar for the first time, as well as my first Chaplin, Marx Brothers, and Fred and Ginger movies. And I've since discovered that the Sony Studios channel shows a pair of Godzilla movies at some ungodly hour each weekend so I'm gonna get started watching Godzilla movies that aren't just called Godzilla/Gojira.

Eat your heart out, Netflix.

The Sony movie channel shows so much terrible bullshit, I love it. After tonight's Godzilla double feature, they're showing Kickboxer 4 and 5, and in a couple of days they're showing Red Scorpion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqNEHhdPpt4

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 22, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The Sony movie channel shows so much terrible bullshit, I love it. After tonight's Godzilla double feature, they're showing Kickboxer 4 and 5, and in a couple of days they're showing Red Scorpion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqNEHhdPpt4

There is one day coming up where they're showing Kickboxer 2-5. They couldn't even bother to get the first one. God Sony is such a shitshow of a studio, from top to bottom. I wouldn't be surprised if their movie studio didn't survive the decade.

Meanwhile, the Universal channel is more TV shows than movies (lots of House), while the MGM channel kicks the poo poo out of the others by showing genuine classic movies. They're showing Thief tomorrow, which I would record to watch if I didn't own the Criterion. Flix and Sundance are loving worthless though, the former isn't in HD (which is a shame because they show some movies I wouldn't see elsewhere) and the latter, like IFC, has commercials which is dogshit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The National Film Board of Canada has an amazing online archive of really nicely transferred films going all the way back to 1917, it's pretty excellent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy Christ the end titles to Lost in Space
:psyduck:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The fact they're only on dailymotion and not youtube adds to the effect, I think

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

If I ever become a musician I'm gonna make an album that has jump scares in it.

On Some Faraway Beach → Blank Frank

also the playout groove on Sgt. Pepper.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The National Film Board of Canada has an amazing online archive of really nicely transferred films going all the way back to 1917, it's pretty excellent.

Sweet.

Here's a classic: The Cat Came Back

Discount Viscount fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 22, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This reminds me of the entirely nonsensical trailer for the 1998 film The Avengers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTiFsCMCo4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This reminds me of the entirely nonsensical trailer for the 1998 film The Avengers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTiFsCMCo4

I have to imagine the pitch meeting with Sean Connery went something like this:

Sean Connery: "I quite enjoyed the Avengers back in the day, what part do you have for me?"
Producer: "I want you to imagine the most offensive Scottish stereotype you can muster up in your brain, and..."
Sean Connery: "Sold. Back a dump truck of money up to my house and I'll put on every kilt I own."
Producer: "Can you crank up the accent to 12?"
Sean Connery: "13, and every article of clothing I wear will be tartan."
Producer: "we have a deal."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Blue Collar rules

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I put that movie on the other day so my wife could understand how terrible it was. She started freaking out the first time Glawp appeared.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

James Woods Fan posted:

When they made the first film Ralph Macchio was 26 years old.

Criminal Minded posted:

Face/Off is a movie about Nicolas Cage and John Travolta switching faces and then spending 2+ hours making fun of each other's bad acting, and this is somehow the least ridiculous or unlikely thing about it. That movie cranked the camp factor to 11 and then kept turning until the knob broke off the dial.

This is a perfect summary of why Face/Off is great. I can't really think of many movies that are as fun as it. Other than the Fast and Furious series (which still doesn't quite match the bombast of Face/Off) I feel like we don't get big budget action movies that are just allowed to go completely apeshit like that.

James Woods Fan posted:

He was 8 years younger. Fishburne was only 6 years older than Cuba in Boyz In The Hood. Angelina Jolie was only one year older than Colin Farrell in Alexander.

Sean Connery and Harrison Ford are only 12 years apart in age.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I put that movie on the other day so my wife could understand how terrible it was. She started freaking out the first time Glawp appeared.

That movie is such a baffling series of terrible choices and tragic misfires that the fact that it ends with Gary Oldman turning into a giant hermaphroditic alien spider monster man makes it the single most appropriate ending in film history.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 22, 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Sean Connery and Harrison Ford are only 12 years apart in age.

Had to check which one was older

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
New season of MST3K drops on Netflix on April 14.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Blue Collar rules

Yep.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DeimosRising posted:

CIA blacksite oil derrick just establishes that the movie is set next week

Nah see, it'll crash into New York and we can declare independence from the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo Land

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Is either version of JFK especially better?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dissapointed Owl posted:

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo Land

"Emma Stone.....you're pretty good."

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

It's like, you figure a movie written/directed by young Paul Schrader starring Yaphet Kotto, Richard Pryor & Harvey Keitel is absolutely gonna be good, and then u watch and turns out -- yes, that was the right assumption, exactly as promised very clear thinking

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CPL593H posted:

This is a perfect summary of why Face/Off is great. I can't really think of many movies that are as fun as it. Other than the Fast and Furious series (which still doesn't quite match the bombast of Face/Off) I feel like we don't get big budget action movies that are just allowed to go completely apeshit like that.

I'd like... to take... his FACE... OFF!

It sounds like one of those that's-the-name-of-the-film joke, but it's just in there and great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CPL593H posted:

That movie is such a baffling series of terrible choices and tragic misfires that the fact that it ends with Gary Oldman turning into a giant hermaphroditic alien spider monster man makes it the single most appropriate ending in film history.

Lost in Space was one of the first movies I watched when I got Netflix and it was the first movie I turned off again, five minutes in. And I remember liking that movie as a kid.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Anonymous Robot posted:

The best jump scare is that loving bird in Citizen Kane.

What makes the one in F13 so great is that there's been literally no hint of anything supernatural up to that point, so zombie boy Jason bursting out of the water like a loving shark and pulling Alice under is something you're completely unprepared for.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

OK, so as probably most of you know, Corey Feldman is always talking about "Big Hollywood guys" who were pedophiles, who abused him (and apparently Corey Haim) when they were kids. And Feldman states that this guy is huge in Hollywood, and Feldman could never name him because nobody would believe and he'd be destroyed publicly/die mysteriously/whatever conspiracy nonsense.

I don't really find pedophiles in Hollywood even remotely hard to believe, especially given guys like Victor Salvo who went to massive careers AFTER serving time for sodomizing the 12-year-old star of his horror film about clowns and filming it :gonk: Obviously Hollywood has some loving issues, given that Francis Ford Coppola was one of the guys who gave Salvo another chance as I recall. By the way, you can easily google 'Victor Salvo' or 'Corey Feldman' or whatever and find articles about all this stuff so I'm not really gonna bother.

Anyway, then I was reading about Indiana Jones stuff as I had recently re-watched the original trilogy on Hulu while snowed in for the first time like a decade and really enjoyed it. And I came across the following tidbit from a brainstorming session for Raiders of the Lost Ark between Lawrence Kasdan, George Lucas, and Steven Spielberg. The subject of the conversation was the past relationship between Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood.

L = George Lucas / K = Lawrence Kasdan / S = Steven Spielberg

quote:

L — I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

K — And he was forty-two.

L — He hasn’t seen her in twelve years. Now she’s twenty-two. It’s a real strange relationship.

S — She had better be older than twenty-two.

L — He’s thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve. It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

S — And promiscuous. She came onto him.

L — Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it’s an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she’s sixteen or seventeen it’s not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he…

S — She has pictures of him.

Now... Looked at alone this seems merely troubling and like some filmmakers were going a bit too far out there. But I also think it's an intriguing insight into the thoughtspace that these guys inhabited. The idea that an older man having with someone who is 15 is "right on the edge".

Anyway... I don't know. It struck me as oddly concerning. I wouldn't be at all shocked or surprised to learn Steven Spielberg is a closet pedophile - he certainly seems to fit the bill of someone who was involved in a ton of projects and is also untouchable with a nearly unimpeachable reputation as the sort of quintessential American filmmaker of his generation. But I also happen to noticed that Spielberg finds a way to cast little kids in like, every single one of his movies. With the odd exception of Munich. It's creepy!!

Sorry about the randomness of this post. It's been on my mind. Goddamn Indiana Jones.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kaworu posted:

Anyway... I don't know. It struck me as oddly concerning. I wouldn't be at all shocked or surprised to learn Steven Spielberg is a closet pedophile - he certainly seems to fit the bill of someone who was involved in a ton of projects and is also untouchable with a nearly unimpeachable reputation as the sort of quintessential American filmmaker of his generation. But I also happen to noticed that Spielberg finds a way to cast little kids in like, every single one of his movies. With the odd exception of Munich. It's creepy!!

Source your quotes man

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So if I need someone to do some acting for a specific, one-shot one-camera thing for like 2-3 hours, and they used to be tight with my friend who's working on the project in college and did this kinda stuff for shits and giggles with them, but now they're like a legit but not famous at all actor, what's the least insulting amount of money I can offer?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I always felt like that quote gets taken out of context since it's clearly the three discussing how to make Marion and Indy's relationship kind of hosed, not endorsing a 25 year old boning down with A teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Gdi someone just rear ended my car while I was stopped at a red light :/ the only accidents I've ever been in have been jokers rear ending me while my car is stationary. This woman had just taken a left on red and was missing a headlight so you know she's rugged as gently caress

I'm fine, I didn't even get her insurance or anything (stupid of me tbh but it just didn't seem worth the hassle+ being late to work for) I just have to spend the next four years paying off a car with dents and a crack in the bumper now

• Locked thread