Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

TheChirurgeon posted:

If I recall correctly, it's based on some older analysis done for The Hidden Game of Football that looked at the value of yards and yards toward a first down. I haven't read it, but intuitively it makes sense that not every completion is a success--anything that doesn't get you a first down on third down or fourth down is easy, but also any 0-yard completion, and I expect the numbers probably come from the chances of getting a first down based on the yardage gained on the play--e.g. your chances of getting a first down if you get 45% or more of the required yards on first down, etc.

That was my guess, but I was curious if there was an actual analysis of this I had not seen. Its an interesting concept. I would imagine it would involve finding the correlation between percentage of the first down yardage picked up on 1st/2nd/3rd down and what the corresponding percentage of successfully picking up the first down on that possession is. That is, it was probably found that picking up 45% of the yardage to a first down on 1st down is the tipping point of being more likely than not to pick up the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Cousins over Cam is caste football as hell.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

If I recall correctly, it's based on some older analysis done for The Hidden Game of Football that looked at the value of yards and yards toward a first down. I haven't read it, but intuitively it makes sense that not every completion is a success--anything that doesn't get you a first down on third down or fourth down is easy, but also any 0-yard completion, and I expect the numbers probably come from the chances of getting a first down based on the yardage gained on the play--e.g. your chances of getting a first down if you get 45% or more of the required yards on first down, etc.

Yeah, it's taken directly from that book and buried on their methodology page that I honestly don't know how to get to other then from their First time here? page... which is itself buried. Man is their website design ancient / bad: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

DVOA is based on a further breakdown of that, where you can have fractions of a success (ie, getting 8 yards on 3rd and 10 is better then 0 yards, especially if you're in a situation where you have to or it'll make you consider going for it).

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think Kirk Cousins showed enough this past year to call him a top 10 QB, meanwhile Cam had a terrible season marred by injuries and poor play by his whole offensive cast, hard to say who is better at this point

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I think Brady's "leadership" skills are more about work ethic and preparation than anything he says on the sidelines.

His mere presence inspires more than anything the 31 other QBs in the league could ever say. There is only one GOAT and if you know you have him on your team, you will believe that the impossible (like a 25 point comeback with ~18min left to play in the Super Bowl) is possible. The other guys than just have to verbalize these thoughts.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

no.. days off?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I think Kirk Cousins showed enough this past year to call him a top 10 QB, meanwhile Cam had a terrible season marred by injuries and poor play by his whole offensive cast, hard to say who is better at this point

The NFL let teams have all kinds of liberties with Cam so he spent the whole season concussed (and with a bad shoulder I think?)

Also his weapons were laughable bad, as was his offensive line

Like imagine if the NFL let Cousins take the beatings Cam does

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fishing with the fam posted:

That was my guess, but I was curious if there was an actual analysis of this I had not seen. Its an interesting concept. I would imagine it would involve finding the correlation between percentage of the first down yardage picked up on 1st/2nd/3rd down and what the corresponding percentage of successfully picking up the first down on that possession is. That is, it was probably found that picking up 45% of the yardage to a first down on 1st down is the tipping point of being more likely than not to pick up the first.

I assumed it was that if you pick up 45% or more of the yardage you are more likely to make it than a given 1st and 10 - i.e., did you improve or reduce your odds of making the 1st down compared to the play before?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine if Cam were as protected as Brady

Does anyone have that gif of him kicking and thrashing on the ground whining for a flag and getting one? From years back by now

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I know its crazy, but I'm gonna go with the one that has an MVP on his resume.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Intruder posted:

The NFL let teams have all kinds of liberties with Cam so he spent the whole season concussed (and with a bad shoulder I think?)

Also his weapons were laughable bad, as was his offensive line

Yeah. It's not crazy to say Cousins is better than Cam but you have to take health and surrounding cast into account. Redskins quietly have great offensive talent, both OL and pass catchers. Jay Gruden is also head and shoulders above Shula as an offensive playcaller, the Skins offense is really well designed and executed

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Kirk Cousins on the Panthers this season would look like Blaine Gabbert.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

What would Brock Osweiler look like on the Panthers?

Let's switch him and Cam and find out

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If you were arguing who would be more likely to produce more next year, I could see and probably agree with arguing for Kirk, because Washington's offense is a fantastic unit. But at the same time, it's also really obvious that Cam is a better quarterback.

See also the last like six? seven? years of Philip Rivers compared to most other quarterbacks.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The Skins offense is really well designed and executed
That poo poo is about to blow up in a few weeks when Free Agency hits.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

89 posted:

That poo poo is about to blow up in a few weeks when Free Agency hits.

The Skins have $60m in cap space, I'm sure they can make something work (though it would cost nearly half of that to franchise Cousins again)

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Intruder posted:

It wouldn't happen because Kirk Cousins isn't dumb enough to put himself in those situations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Blitz7x posted:

During the Superbowl the camera panned over Brady and she said "that guy is kinda cute, who is that" so I've already deleted Facebook and hit the gym and now I'm lawyering up

Edit wait this isn't E/N

As a Raiders fan your only concern should be whether or not she's willing and able to pay bail.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions have hired erstwhile Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey as a DEFENSIVE assistant. Another ex-Patriot. :negative:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lol Godsey got a job somewhere

Then again the last terrible coordinator the Lions hired after the Texans fired him worked out pretty well IIRC

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

That's right by the Jupiter island bridge. Holy poo poo it was actually him.

I drove by that boat Saturday

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Kalli posted:

Here's some nerd stuff instead if you don't wanna "debate" Kirk vs Cam

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/failed-completions-2016

Failed completions stats for last season.

A failed completion is any completion that doesn't get 45% of the needed yards on 1st down, 60% on 2nd down or all the yards on 3rd/4th down for a conversion.

Cam was actually the guy least likely to throw a failed completion this year, with only 49 in 270 completions. (Barkley was actually the best, but come on).

Flacco was the worst at 144 of 436, or literally a third of his completions this year. (Goff was actually the worst, but come on).

Cam was also 3rd in Alex and Flacco was 31st, so hey Ravens, maybe fix whatever the gently caress is going on with your passing game.

For teams, the Jaguars and Giants were the teams most likely to cause failed completions, which is interesting (how many of those were just grinding clock against the Jags?) while, unsurprisingly, the Saints and Packers were the worst at causing failed completions

This is what I mean. Fire Harbaugh NOW!!! He's a useless pea brain coach. Let one of these bad teams whose fans are always telling me "Oh we'll take Harbaugh he's a great coach" yeah send him to the Jags and watch him not be able to do crap not inheriting an amazing roster like Harbaugh did.

Also Flacco is done too.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

That's not how the salary floor works. It doesn't apply to a single season, it looks back over a four year window. And if the team doesn't spend the money, it just goes to the NFLPA.

lovely, there goes my hope of the Browns absorbing every awful contract in the NFL

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DariusLikewise posted:

lovely, there goes my hope of the Browns absorbing every awful contract in the NFL

They'll do it anyway

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/status/834201507742482433

There you go, Seahawks fans.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They'll have to overpay to get players to sign there, and that means they'll have to cut some guys in 2 years when those guys bust.

The question is, do they have the FO and coaches to become the Raiders or the Jaguars in the meantime?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Chichevache posted:

As a Raiders fan your only concern should be whether or not she's willing and able to pay bail.

She'll wait for me, man

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_hi7gOjE0

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Cutler is underrated.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fsif posted:

Cutler is underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAg-wRp8U-k

Same ol' Jay.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

TheChirurgeon posted:

this but unironically

In actual News (or a reasonable facsimile thereof), Football Outsiders released its analysis on failed completions for 2016, looking at who's the best at throwing worthless completions. Read it here:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/failed-completions-2016

The short version is that Joe Flacco is this year's King of Bad Completions, with a whopping 33% of his passes failing to gain 60% of the needed yards on 1st down, 45% on 2nd down, and 100% on 3rd/4th down. He's had two seasons in his career with 100+ failed completions (2016, 2013), and this year set the NFL record for seasons since 1989 with 144 failed passes, apparently. Right around Flacco were Keenum (63 failures, 32.1%) and Goff (44 failures, 39.3%). Bradford's 2016 also came close, with 29.4% of his completions being failures (116 total).

Dennis Pitta was the receiver of the most failed receptions (31), and was #5 in the failure rate (36% of his receptions were failures). Comparatively, the league's best receivers in terms of failed reception rate in 2016 were Nelson (2.9%), Jeffery (3.8%), Dez Bryant (4.0%), Josh Brown (5.1%), and Mike Evans (5.2%).

Being on the list isn't necessarily bad per se, since Brees has led the league in failed completions a few times, but Flacco ain't Brees.

In semi-relevant news, Newton was among the top of the list, with only 18.1% of his passes being failures. Ryan ranked 7th with 20.6%, while Cousins ranked 14th with 22.9%.

There's also some good stuff in there on defenses. It's worth a read.

e: God dammit Kalli

that's probably my favorite stat, i wish they had it for historical reference because i'd love to see where cutler is vsother qbs

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

It was meant to be, Coldforge.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Lions have hired erstwhile Texans offensive coordinator George Godsey as a DEFENSIVE assistant. Another ex-Patriot. :negative:

Defensive Assistant - Special Projects. I wouldn't freak, who even knows what the gently caress he actually will do.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rockin' the Hulk Hogan 'stache.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
So, uhm, the Jets literally used burner phones to circumvent the "no tampering" rule with Revis - but somehow Goodell has no issue with that?
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...=mmehta+twitter

Dock them at least 2 first round picks, because using burner phones and having a "no paper trail" guideline clearly means they broke rules with malice aforethought and should be punished accordingly.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
otoh... punish the Pats for this.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Could anyone tell me why the bears offense looked so great under marc trestman for one year(2013) then dropped off quicker than dabbing? FFS even josh mccown looked like a pro bowler under that offense.

was it just a situation not unlike chip kelly where the offense was figured out and failed to adjust?

Edit: looking at pff and man that offense was stacked. cutler, prime forte, prime marshall, good alshon jeffery, and bennett.

Chromatic fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 22, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chromatic posted:

Could anyone tell me why the bears offense looked so great under marc trestman for one year(2013) then dropped off quicker than dabbing? FFS even josh mccown looked like a pro bowler under that offense.

was it just a situation not unlike chip kelly where the offense was figured out and failed to adjust?

Edit: looking at pff and man that offense was stacked. cutler, prime forte, prime marshall, good alshon jeffery, and bennett.

It really had a lot going for it.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

GaussianCopula posted:

So, uhm, the Jets literally used burner phones to circumvent the "no tampering" rule with Revis - but somehow Goodell has no issue with that?
good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

Dock them at least 2 first round picks, because using burner phones and having a "no paper trail" guideline clearly means they broke rules with malice aforethought and should be punished accordingly.

on the other hand though, revis was punishment enough and they're still forced to be the jets

• Locked thread