Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Ok you don't have to respond to every single post. It's sort of awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

It's a message board if that's the biggest come back (take an L and awkward) then lol

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rabid Snake posted:

It's a message board if that's the biggest come back (take an L and awkward) then lol

People are trying to help you to not appear to be such a dipshit, but you're making it as hard as you can

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rabid Snake posted:

What happens when the parking meters don't meet the expected threshold? They were optimistic assumptions in the first place, and that was when the Kings were on the uprise.

quote:

Most of the debt repayment will come from the Kings themselves. The team’s lease payments on the arena will come to a minimum of $354 million over the life of the bonds. Along with property tax payments the Kings are expected to make from the arena, the team’s total contribution is expected to hit 61 percent of the sum the city needs to pay bondholders.

The city’s parking operations will have to shoulder nearly a third of the debt, about $193 million, over the life of the loan.

The burden placed on parking revenue will vary over the years. The city has established an additional reserve account, seeded with $6 million in hotel occupancy tax revenue, to help pay debt in the first few years, when the city’s share of revenue from the arena will be at its lowest.

In 2021, the cash flow situation becomes considerably easier. That year, the Kings’ lease payment will jump from $6.5 million to $7.5 million. It will continue growing at a minimum of 3 percent annually.

Also in 2021, an old loan on a city parking garage gets paid off. That will free up $4.2 million a year, a figure that will grow in future years as other debts come off the books. Those “liberated” dollars from the old parking debts will eventually total $131 million, or roughly two-thirds of the $193 million that the city needs from its parking operation to repay the arena debt.

The rest, about $62 million, will have to come from new income generated by the garages and meters over the next 35 years.

That’s a relatively small sum, Dangberg argues, saying the city should have little trouble meeting that threshold.

quote:

City officials said their efforts are starting to pay off. In fiscal 2014-15, the parking operation generated a $4.6 million profit on revenue of $31.1 million. In 2015-16, the profit increased to $5.7 million as revenue grew to $34.8 million. In the current fiscal year, which includes the arena’s inaugural year, profit is expected to jump to $9.2 million on revenue of $40.5 million.

That would represent a doubling of profit in just two years. Is the demand there to justify such a projection? Dangberg pointed to the early success of SacPark, the city’s new digital parking reservation system. The system lets motorists reserve spots in advance on arena event nights at several city-owned and private garages within a few blocks of Golden 1.

In SacPark’s first two weeks, when it was available only to Kings season ticket holders, the system pulled in nearly $1 million.

While most of the reservations were made at privately owned garages, Dangberg said, the two-week stretch shows the robustness of the market. All of the reservations were made at just 1,600 different parking spaces. Most nights, the city anticipates 6,500 cars will park downtown for Golden 1 events. That suggests a lot of new money flowing into the city’s coffers.

This doesn't even take into account the additional riders of the light rail that are now propping up that public transportation system. Or all the development and construction taking place in a previously delapidated area. Or things like the privately funded soccer stadium going in down the street from it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh man what a surprise a goon from Seattle has no idea how Public Finance works in Sacramento, California, which is almost assuredly a place he has never visited and knows nothing about other than the fact that the Kings play there and maybe that it's the Capital of California.

I am shocked.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
What are the chances Thursday's Pelicans/Rockets game gets moved to ESPN or TNT?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh man what a surprise a goon from Seattle has no idea how Public Finance works in Sacramento, California, which is almost assuredly a place he has never visited and knows nothing about other than the fact that the Kings play there and maybe that it's the Capital of California.

I am shocked.

He lives in Daly City though, which is a suburb of San Francisco. I use the term suburb lightly because it's like 3 malls, 25 business parks and a few gas stations.

I'm just saving him the effort of responding to every single post.

It's okay to assume where he lives though. He assumes I live in SF :shrug:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spoeank posted:

He lives in Daly City though, which is a suburb of San Francisco. I use the term suburb lightly because it's like 3 malls, 25 business parks and a few gas stations.

Well then this becomes even more perplexing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

SHOAH NUFF posted:

What are the chances Thursday's Pelicans/Rockets game gets moved to ESPN or TNT?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

but my odds of watching a New Orleans pelicans game just went from 0-100!

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Yeah they don't move games to the main networks, I imagine scheduling is done way way way ahead of time. Plus you'd need a whole different broadcast team who are already scheduled. Probably show it on NBATV tho?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/834457118249938944

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
If it wasn't TNT night they could easily have it shown on nbatv but since it is I don't think they will

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

EvanTH posted:

Yeah they don't move games to the main networks, I imagine scheduling is done way way way ahead of time. Plus you'd need a whole different broadcast team who are already scheduled. Probably show it on NBATV tho?

I'm pretty sure they dumped some other game in favor of Sixers-Rockets

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It'd take Kobe Bryant coming out of retirement and joining the Pelicans to get them on a national game instead of the Knicks.

Maybe next year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JustinVerrier/status/834445814181330944

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Vlade literally admitted to having a trade offer a day before he talked to Cousins' agent saying there would be no trade but you go get those trolls Grant
https://twitter.com/GrantNapearshow/status/834446752912535552

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Vlade literally admitted to having a trade offer a day before he talked to Cousins' agent saying there would be no trade but you go get those trolls Grant
His Tweets come across as if Donald Trump was a diehard Kings fan.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ok, I get why Grant Napear is toeing the company line
https://twitter.com/sactownroyalty/status/834510938757857280

quote:

Damien Barling: “That was embarrassing. That was absolutely embarrassing.”

Jason Ross: “In what way?”

DB: “In every single way imaginable. That dude is not fit to be the General Manager of a basketball team. This is real life. You just heard a General Manager say publicly at a press conference ‘We had a better deal two days ago’. You moron! You can’t say that! ‘Oh why didn’t you wait till Thursday?’ ‘Oh cause we had a better deal two days ago?’”

JR: “It was getting worse”

DB: “Are you serious? Bro... I don’t even know what to say. If you’re a Kings fan, you should absolutely be embarrassed by that. That was awful. That was absolutely awful. You cannot do that. You can’t do that. Awful. That’s awful dude. Absolutely incredible”

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

WhyteRyce posted:

Is he the "if you don't like that you don't like [kings] basketball" guy or was that the other guy?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nm posted:

Is he the "if you don't like that you don't like [kings] basketball" guy or was that the other guy?

The former. The later is the goofy guy who comes up with odd-ball nicknames

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

WhyteRyce posted:

The former. The later is the goofy guy who comes up with odd-ball nicknames

That line annoys me so much. I'd say it is why I don't watch kings games on tv anymore except that the product is so depressing on its own.
And I'm a fan of the a's and the vikings as well, so I know pain.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
"If you don't like that, you don't like NBA/Kings basketball" worked A LOT better when they were the best passing team in the league. A Willie Cauley-Stein put back dunk doesn't have quite the same flash behind it as some of the insane passing clinics that led to sweet scores from peak Kings.

Now it's just kinda sad.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There are worse things than King's basketball, like Pacer's basketball and college basketball.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rick posted:

There are worse things than King's basketball, like Pacer's basketball and college basketball.

Rick why do you hate me??? :(

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Rick posted:

Weird way to spell "Spurs basketball, because gently caress the Spurs."

College basketball owns.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Probably Magic posted:

College basketball owns.

someone change this guys name to Probably Magic Johnson

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

pubic works project posted:

Rick why do you hate me??? :(

I don't!! I feel burnt by the Pacers though because I predicted them to be good. They are more watchable than last year.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Cool Buff Man posted:

someone change this guys name to Probably Magic Johnson

The Sacramento Kings' trade for Buddy Hied puts them in position to be a contender in the Western Conference.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The fact that it's top 1 protection for so long makes me think Dell Demps was just screwing with Vlade for the hell of it
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/834525337513975809

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

The fact that it's top 1 protection for so long makes me think Dell Demps was just screwing with Vlade for the hell of it
https://twitter.com/RealGM/status/834525337513975809
I hate the whole "protections on draft picks" thing. Don't wanna have the chance to lose out on a top-three pick? Don't trade your first then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The trade-off is that teams will trade less, and trading is always way more fun.

Plus, top 55 protected 2nd rounders are the only legal way to dump something for free.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

The trade-off is that teams will trade less, and trading is always way more fun.

Plus, top 55 protected 2nd rounders are the only legal way to dump something for free.
You should be able to count the entire cost of a rookie contract when trading - make it easier to trade top picks for established players.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Probably Magic posted:

College basketball owns.

College basketball is some of the slowest, most god-awful ball this side of the 90s. They should have a normal shot clock, not the baby college shot clock.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
College basketball is only fun for the tournament and some rivalries. Actually, all the rivalries suck too besides maybe Lville /Uk

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't even enjoy the team I cheer for if I'm honest (Arizona). I do like watching Kansas though much to my surprise.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Panzeh posted:

College basketball is some of the slowest, most god-awful ball this side of the 90s.
That's down to coaching though. Pace - in terms of possessions per game - was actually quite a bit faster 30-40 years ago, when there wasn't even a shot clock. Take a quick look here and you'll see that there are three teams averaging 80 possessions per game this year. Go back to the first year of data (97-98) - the number of teams at that amount is closer to 15, and the shot clock was 35 seconds then - not 30.

The huge problem at the college level is that it's filled with coaches who micromanage every single possession in order to find ~~~the perfect look at the basket~~~ so you end up with teams acting like taking a shot with more than ten seconds left on the clock is some kind of missed opportunity. Even the announcers - you see guys who bitch about teams "shooting too early" because they're not winding down the shot clock until there's 4-5 seconds left on each possession.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Honestly this year's college basketball has been really fun. Tons of down to the wire games, tons of upsets, and lots of really talented teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Crazy Ted posted:

That's down to coaching though. Pace - in terms of possessions per game - was actually quite a bit faster 30-40 years ago, when there wasn't even a shot clock. Take a quick look here and you'll see that there are three teams averaging 80 possessions per game this year. Go back to the first year of data (97-98) - the number of teams at that amount is closer to 15, and the shot clock was 35 seconds then - not 30.

The huge problem at the college level is that it's filled with coaches who micromanage every single possession in order to find ~~~the perfect look at the basket~~~ so you end up with teams acting like taking a shot with more than five seconds left on the clock is some kind of missed opportunity. Even the announcers - you see guys who bitch about teams "shooting too early" because they're not winding down the shot clock until there's 4-5 seconds left on each possession.

This is true(pace in basketball was faster in the old days in general both at the pro and college level), but you're right, a lot of it comes down to the coach wanting to play the point from the bench but the resulting basketball is guys swinging it around the perimeter for a while against a zone while they end up with a bad iso anyway because the offense wasn't going anywhere.

Watching teams try to play against a zone by just standing on the 3 point line and lazily throwing it around is some of the worst poo poo ever, and they pass up sort of open 3s for horrible drives into traffic.

I can see how someone might be more invested in college teams but I can not see how someone can say the game is more fun to watch.

• Locked thread