Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wolfsbane posted:

"Brexit Channel"
Is that the new name for la Manche?

e: 115 - Jews in Egypt and Cyrene revolt against the Roman Empire, unrest spreads to Cyprus, Judea, and Mesopotamia. An unrelated revolt breaks out in Britain, leading to the destruction of the Roman garrison at York.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

mfcrocker posted:

Thought it was you giving Corbs poo poo when they lost a couple of council seats not too long ago, though it may have been TinTower

I get my tedious posters mixed up sometimes

Nah. That convo started with someone pointing out a council win for Labour, I pointed out that Labour lost a different council election the same day. Basically council elections are noise, anyone who posts them as evidence for things is a dum dum

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 22, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbyn posted:

the Labour moderates would be detecting to Macron in droves if they were French. Like I can understand someone like Umunna or Kendall agitating under Corbyn because they have very different politics, but Hamon and Melenchon both seem to be actual leftists and are clearly better options than anyone else in the west is getting. It's just sad they're splitting each other's vote when France could give the rest of us some hope.
Keeping in mind that the PS president has like a 4% approval rating, they were not getting back into power again under any leader.

Guavanaut posted:

Is that the new name for la Manche?
I think you mean the Anglo-French Eurotrench.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

I remember seeing that video too. It was apparently a newsnight interview, but all I can find is this one, from the "Brexit Channel" (lol). Mark Blyth starts at 3:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9T_5S5638

I think this is the one, relevant part at around 47:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGiHiZyKuAE&t=2855s

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Anyone who thinks that by now the posting of council by-elections in this is anything but some kind of meta-trolling really is just showing the utter contempt and lack of respect they have for the other posters in this thread if they think they really are that stupid to take them as some kind of super important result.

Let's all discuss the Stoke Sentinal's Google survey results instead.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/survey-predicts-tight-result-in-stoke-on-trent-central-by-election/story-30149927-detail/story.html

70% Turnout predicted by that poll :toot:

(lol)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ah, the irony defense.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I like how even the Stoke Sentinel has drive-by shills.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Anyone who thinks that by now the posting of council by-elections in this is anything but some kind of meta-trolling really is just showing the utter contempt and lack of respect they have for the other posters in this thread if they think they really are that stupid to take them as some kind of super important result.

Let's all discuss the Stoke Sentinal's Google survey results instead.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/survey-predicts-tight-result-in-stoke-on-trent-central-by-election/story-30149927-detail/story.html

70% Turnout predicted by that poll :toot:

(lol)

30% turnout would be impressive given how poo poo Stoke's turnout is in General Elections. My guess is its going to be around 25% turnout.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Especially as it's meant to poo poo it down that day

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Going back to the subject of Russian interference in British election, a swarm of Twitter bots usually used to pump out Russian propaganda have become rabidly anti-UKIP and pro-Corbyn for some reason.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

Going back to the subject of Russian interference in British election, a swarm of Twitter bots usually used to pump out Russian propaganda have become rabidly anti-UKIP and pro-Corbyn for some reason.

Given that Corbyn has been known to parrot the Kremlin line on certain foreign policy (particular RE: the nature of the Ukrainian revolution) they probably consider him a fellow traveller of sorts.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Baron Corbyn posted:

McTernan is on the turn!!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

mfcrocker posted:

Especially as it's meant to poo poo it down that day

This is bad for Corbyn

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I like the MRLP candidate - The Incredible Flying Brick

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pissflaps posted:

Brexit wouldn't have happened on Tony's watch.

Yes big tone wouldnt have capitulated to his partys right wing.

After all How can one capitulate to themself

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Given that Corbyn has been known to parrot the Kremlin line on certain foreign policy (particular RE: the nature of the Ukrainian revolution) they probably consider him a fellow traveller of sorts.

Is that the 'revolution' when Russia recently invaded parts of Ukraine, or some other one?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yes big tone wouldnt have capitulated to his partys right wing.

After all How can one capitulate to themself

He would have stopped Brexit "at any cost" i.e. thrown brown people under the bus so fast even the devil from Futurama would be impressed

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That Ben Bradshaw reckoned that Russia interfered in the Brexit elections with 'hacking'.

The clearer involvement is that Farage is a paid SHILL of RUSSIA's MOUTHPIECE - Russia Today.

Nigel Farage's near monthly appearances on state-owned Russia Today have come under scrutiny after his expression of admiration for Vladimir Putin this week.

In one of his 17 appearances on the channel seen by the Guardian and transmitted since December 2010, he claims Europe is governed not by elected democracies but instead "by the worst people we have seen in Europe since 1945".

The Ukip leader has appeared so frequently that he is cited in literature for the TV station Russia Today as one of their special and "endlessly quotable" British guests. "He has been known far longer to the RT audience than most of the British electorate," Russia Today claims.

This was back in 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/31/nigel-farage-relationship-russian-media-scrutiny

Brexit works well for Russia as it weakens the EU and weakens the UK dramatically re: foreign policy clout.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

Is that the 'revolution' when Russia recently invaded parts of Ukraine, or some other one?
It was the thing immediately before that. There was unrest in Kiev, Euromaidan proclaimed victory, Yanukovych was overthrown/stepped down and left for Russia.

Shortly afterwards the Crimea incident happened.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

War on Brexit.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm beginning to think Vladimir Putin knows a thing or two about being a head of state.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

he probably means the actual revolution when they kicked out their pro-Russian leader. Russia thinks the revolution was astroturfed by the West/EU/NATO/whomever and I guess Corbyn might have suggested the same?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

JFairfax posted:

I'm beginning to think Vladimir Putin knows a thing or two about being a head of state.

my man have you tried The Foundations of Geopolitics

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

he probably means the actual revolution when they kicked out their pro-Russian leader. Russia thinks the revolution was astroturfed by the West/EU/NATO/whomever and I guess Corbyn might have suggested the same?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QAXmf5_EOs

Here is Obama admitting they brokered regime change in Ukraine.

The revolution probably was backed by the US, a hallmark of a US backed revolution is that it is one of those 'colour' ones.

To think they're not involved in things like this is hopelessly naive.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think you'd probably guess right.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

JFairfax posted:

The revolution probably was backed by the US, a hallmark of a US backed revolution is that it is one of those 'colour' ones.

Lol.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

apparently tom watson dabbed during pmq's

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

This is bad for Corbyn

It's probably a little bad for Corbyn if you think losing byelections is bad for him, because there's some suggestion that bad weather deters poorer voters. But I think we've established that no result is bad for him/every result is bad for him, so, :shrug:.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

JFairfax posted:

I don't doubt the US intelligence services got involved with pushing the protests in the direction that they wanted just like I don't doubt the Russian intelligence services did all they could to help Trump get elected. Interfering in foreign politics for their own gain is what they do. I think the Russian suggestion the Americans are responsible for removing Yanukovych ignores the other reasons it happened just like suggesting the Russians got Trump elected does.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Fangz posted:

It's probably a little bad for Corbyn if you think losing byelections is bad for him, because there's some suggestion that bad weather deters poorer voters. But I think we've established that no result is bad for him/every result is bad for him, so, :shrug:.

It's a Labour/UKIP swing. Relatively speaking Labour do better against UKIP with ABC1s than they do C2DEs I think.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think Stoke is in the bag for Labour. Copeland is the more interesting contest.

Though I don't expect labour to lose there either of course.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

As others have said, the original Kiev unrest that deposed Yanukovich. The annexation of the Crimea was not a revolution, and the Donetsk/Luhansk secession movements are more civil war than revolutionary war. Mind you, while Russia were definitely breaching international law with their bullshitly-denied involvement, I would hesitate to call it an invasion in the case of the D/L. Certainly the case for Crimea, though.

JFairfax posted:

Being fair to Obama here, he was probably referring to the EU-brokered peace deal. What is suspicious is the ambassadorial call made during the same time period.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Apologies if it's been posted but the new chief of the Met was also in charge of the operation that got Jean Charles de Menezes murdered. What could possibly go wrong

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Not to bang a drum about it but tomorrows storm is going to be a bad one.

The midday weather model runs are showing it having almost 90 mph gusts over large sections of the UK. If anything the existing met warning areas will be increased, and if it carries on like this I bet the met issues a red warning for a few spots. This could be a historic storm.

If you have any trees / anything susceptible to wind check it tonight, especially if you are in the North West, Midlands or East Anglia.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Looke posted:

MikeCrotch posted:

This is bad for Corbyn

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Oberleutnant posted:

This isn't really relative to any discussion going on just now, but one of Malatesta's letters keeps doing laps in the back of my mind, and I wanted to share it with the thread because it's interesting:

Pretty true and a cute ending :3:

Nice anarchist!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Apologies if it's been posted but the new chief of the Met was also in charge of the operation that got Jean Charles de Menezes murdered. What could possibly go wrong

When I heard there was a vacancy I jokingly suggested that Cressida Dick would get it. But I Wiki'd it & they told me she'd retired from the police to join the Foreign Office, hopefully kept well away from South Americans. Apparently my joke came true.

ukle posted:

Not to bang a drum about it but tomorrows storm is going to be a bad one.

The midday weather model runs are showing it having almost 90 mph gusts over large sections of the UK. If anything the existing met warning areas will be increased, and if it carries on like this I bet the met issues a red warning for a few spots. This could be a historic storm.

If you have any trees / anything susceptible to wind check it tonight, especially if you are in the North West, Midlands or East Anglia.

Hope the weather hangs around Belgium at the weekend, the first cobbled classic cycling race is on & those are always fun with horrible weather. Mind you, the winds could die down a little from 90mph gusts, don't want it being cancelled.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Looke posted:

Every day I regret making him my first choice when I voted in the first election.

Tom Watson is a loving idiot.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hoping for bad winds so I can work from home and have a lie in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What has world renowned weatherman Michael Fish said about the state of affairs?

• Locked thread