Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

Fair enough. I'll be running Ironwing eventually and I was wondering if a dual kheres contemptor would be worth it. All dreadnoughts get Tank Hunter (and Fear :v:) from that RoW. Seems like the best way to handle that would be:
1. Roll for armor pen as normal, separate any 6's.
2. Roll the additional D3 for the initial 6's.
3. If anything doesn't do damage, re-roll the initial d6 and repeat the d3 if you get another 6.
4. Re-roll the original failures from step 1, separate any 6's, add the d3. No further re-rolls.

Adds some steps and dice pool shenanigans, but shouldn't be too bad in practice.

Yeah, its rules seem really solid, but everyone's on the Lightning train nowadays so I don't think the Xiphon sees nearly as much play. I agree that 200 points is a lot for an AV11 HP2 flyer despite its insane amount of firepower. I mean, a Fire Raptor is also 200 points base. It isn't the best comparison though as it serves a fairly different role. The Xiphon's fragility has me a little apprehensive, but I'm going to buy it regardless. I absolutely love that model.

It's good to hear construction's easy, at least. I recently finished a Fire Raptor and it is the worst loving kit.

The only complaints I have about constructing the kit is that my kit seemed to be from the tail end of the batch - some of the fittings like the sockets for the thruster cones had these 'growths' of excess resin, like the molds had had tears in them. Design-wise the only problem I had is that the resin flow gates for the engine pods are pretty big and in a stupid location, so you need to be extra careful with those. That in mind it took me about an hour to slap mine together with minimal coaxing.

Also, a dual kheres contemptor is a) cool as poo poo, b) thoroughly amusing to play, and c) all sorts of flexible, especially if you make it a Mortis Kheres (and the only reason you wouldn't want to make it a Mortis is if you wanted a talon of the fuckers). It's a little short-ranged but 12 rending shots at BS5 will make most targets sit up and take notice - that many shots will mince most infantry squads and just the sheer volume of fire means you'll generally be able to take out light to medium vehicles easily, too. Also makes a 24" bubble of 'gently caress you, no, don't even think of bringing that flier over here'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

ijyt posted:

I asked in the Slack but: what's a legion that'd work well with 50 MkIV dudes, 6 jetbikes and a bunch of drop pods? Would prefer not to do Alpha Legion anymore and can't really decide on a legion (not Ultramarines). Tempted to go Night Lords.

Sons of Horus would be my choice. In fact that's what I'm putting together after my Fist list is finished.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
What would a fun White Scars list look like? Lots of Outriders and ???

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

What would a fun White Scars list look like? Lots of Outriders and ???

Jetbikes, attack bikes, javelins and speeders.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

ijyt posted:

I asked in the Slack but: what's a legion that'd work well with 50 MkIV dudes, 6 jetbikes and a bunch of drop pods? Would prefer not to do Alpha Legion anymore and can't really decide on a legion (not Ultramarines). Tempted to go Night Lords.

III Legion.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I'm thinking in the longer term of maybe pulling the trigger on a Warhound (Inferno/Plasma) - anyone built one? How can you run them in 30k? I have Astartes forces if that helps.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

If I can find a good purple then thats a potential option. Seems like it's looking more and more likely that I'll just have to do a bunch of testers.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

krursk posted:

Sons of Horus would be my choice. In fact that's what I'm putting together after my Fist list is finished.

Ditto this. Sons of Horus seem to work well as Drop Pod armies.

I actually just picked up some "Sons of Horus Green" and "Lupercal Green" to start playing around with making a SoH Orbital Assault list.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Emperor's Children are a buncha chumps and Eidolon's got a stupid Skrillex haircut 3 years too late for it to be cool anymore.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm getting into the character series and I'm wondering how much clean up I'm going to have to do compared to the bigger kits. I've built a bunch of the older IG lines, has Forge World cleaned up their casting process since then?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lord Twisted posted:

I'm thinking in the longer term of maybe pulling the trigger on a Warhound (Inferno/Plasma) - anyone built one? How can you run them in 30k? I have Astartes forces if that helps.

Paging Hixson. Come in Hixson, over

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Immanentized posted:

So I'm getting into the character series and I'm wondering how much clean up I'm going to have to do compared to the bigger kits. I've built a bunch of the older IG lines, has Forge World cleaned up their casting process since then?

I barely had to clean up Guilliman at all, just snip him off the sprues. His base was slightly warped but nothing too bad.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

SRM posted:

I barely had to clean up Guilliman at all, just snip him off the sprues. His base was slightly warped but nothing too bad.

Glad to hear, since I'm starting with his model. Speaking of the base- are there any solid resources on how to do the marble effect?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does Forgeworld have a set price for Americans or do you simply convert dollars to pounds when paying?

Auto converts through the payment portal. You only see pounds, but your CC statement reflects the USD Amount

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 21, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does Forgeworld have a set price for Americans or do you simply convert dollars to pounds when paying?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Immanentized posted:

Glad to hear, since I'm starting with his model. Speaking of the base- are there any solid resources on how to do the marble effect?

I tried the Warhammer TV one and it came out real bad for me, but it might be better for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0pGumGvczc

I had to strip it and then redo it and I went with a technique centered around stippling and the results were pretty good, I can't find the tutorial I used right now, but once the varnish dries I'll post a picture.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

We pay in pounds. The credit card company does the conversion automatically, usually at a slightly worse rate (go figure.) If Forgeworld is at a US event, they charge in USD, using some obscure formula that is sometimes worse than buying direct from the UK plus shipping. I'm not sure how they manage that.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Thanks, that's what I thought but my LGS' owner ordered a couple Might Zug to sell along with his personal order and was charging $45 apiece for them.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

WIP progress shot! I have the primary colours blocked out and gave it a wash/filter of sepia. Thoroughly enjoying painting this thing. Also have almost finished a Vindicator squadron.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

The credit card company does the conversion automatically, usually at a slightly worse rate (go figure.)

What imprint are you using? I've been in the CC industry for about 5 years now and have never heard of any of the big 3 doing this outside of some sketchy issuers. Might be worth calling in if you shop around frequently.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

WIP progress shot! I have the primary colours blocked out and gave it a wash/filter of sepia. Thoroughly enjoying painting this thing. Also have almost finished a Vindicator squadron.

A Fast Attack unit for the Death Guard, that's extra heretical.

But it looks great in that scheme!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks, that's what I thought but my LGS' owner ordered a couple Might Zug to sell along with his personal order and was charging $45 apiece for them.

Yeah, he's ripping you off.

Immanentized posted:

What imprint are you using? I've been in the CC industry for about 5 years now and have never heard of any of the big 3 doing this outside of some sketchy issuers. Might be worth calling in if you shop around frequently.

It's probable that I'm thinking of the times when I used a debit card, so the bank would make those conversions. I haven't ordered from FW in a while, so haven't used my Chase card for non-USD transactions.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Mango Polo posted:

A Fast Attack unit for the Death Guard, that's extra heretical.

But it looks great in that scheme!

My only Fast Attack unit. Maybe I should've gone Iron Warriors, I have like ten HS choices. Thanks!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm tinkering with a 2000 point Ironwing list based around the things I have available and some planned purchases and came up with this:

quote:

HQ
Praetor - 197
- Tartaros Armor (He was originally in cataphractii so it seems I forgot to add an Iron Halo when I switched. I should probably scrounge those points from somewhere)
- Paragon Blade
- Combi-stasis launcher
- Digital Lasers
- Master-crafted on the paragon blade

Command Squad (x4) - 190
- Tartaros armor
- 3 with lightning claws and combi-bolters
- chainfist and combi-bolter on the standard bearer

Land Raider Phobos - 245
- Extra armor
- Dozer blade
- Frag assault launchers

Troops
Tactical Squad (x10) - 210
- Extra close combat weapons
- Sergeant with a calibanite warblade
- Rhino with a multi-melta and a dozer blade (maybe switch the dozer blades for extra armor given the Ironwing movement bonuses?)

Tactical Squad (x10) - 210
- Extra close combat weapons
- Sergeant with a calibanite warblade
- Rhino with a multi-melta and a dozer blade

Elites
Contemptor Talon - 395
- Contemptor dreadnought with a multi-melta and a fist with a meltagun
- Contemptor dreadnought with a kheres assault cannon and a fist with a meltagun

Veteran Squad (x10) - 290
- Two heavy bolters with suspensors and Dark Angel only acid rounds
- Sergeant with artificer armor, a calibanite warblade, and melta bombs
- Rhino with a multi-melta and a dozer blade

Fast Attack
:geno:

Heavy Support
Predator - 130
- Executioner plasma cannon

Predator - 130
- Executioner plasma cannon

Total: 1997

For those who don't know the ins and outs of Ironwing:
Pros
- Squadrons of two or more tanks get BS5 (I'm not claiming that bonus as my predators are two separate units, there's a reason why)
- Infantry models that shoot a pistol, rapid fire, or salvo weapon S5 or less get +1 to wound within 12"
- All dreadnoughts get Tank Hunter and Fear
- All vehicles ignore their first failed dangerous terrain test and get +1" to Flat Out moves

Cons
- All infantry must start the game in transports
- Half of your units must be tanks (this is why I have my predators split into two different units, I had to cover the praetor and dreadnought talon)
- If all of your tanks get blown up, your opponent scores an additional secondary objective (typically worth one victory point, but you'll also probably be giving up another d3 in that scenario thanks to the Dark Angels' rules)
- No fortifications or allies

It's got some solid bonuses, but really limits your list construction. This isn't my final list by any means, it's simply one I can work towards relatively quickly. All I'm missing are the command squad and predators. I think 30 scoring models is playing things somewhat risky at 2k; I'd like to have another scoring unit somewhere, but I want to start getting used to this RoW. With all that said, how bad does it look?

Down the line, I'll probably drop the praetor, command squad, and land raider for a delegatus hiding in a command rhino. That'll free up a ton of points that I can use for more tanks and bodies and make my outflanking squads of veterans more reliable.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Kyr Vhalen 195

9 Tactical Space Marines: nuncio-vox; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 135
9 Tactical Space Marines: nuncio-vox; + 1 Tactical Sergeant 135

7 Veteran Space Marines: heavy bolter and suspensor web; + 1 Veteran Sergeant (artificer armour; power fist) 181
Rhino 35
Apothecarion Detachment
Apothecary: augury scanner 50
3 Quad Launcher Rapier Carriers: quad launcher (shatter shells) 210

9 Iron Havocs: 5× missile launcher; 4× lascannon; + 1 Iron Havoc Sergeant (lascannon; augury scanner; melta bombs) 420
Artillery Tank Squadron
Medusa 155

War Machine Detachment
Typhon Heavy Siege Tank: armoured ceramite; pintle-mounted heavy bolter (shrapnel bolts) 425

Wall of Martyrs Imperial Bunker 55

1.996 points

Yes or no?

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

I'm tinkering with a 2000 point Ironwing list based around the things I have available and some planned purchases and came up with this:

For those who don't know the ins and outs of Ironwing:
Pros
- Squadrons of two or more tanks get BS5 (I'm not claiming that bonus as my predators are two separate units, there's a reason why)
- Infantry models that shoot a pistol, rapid fire, or salvo weapon S5 or less get +1 to wound within 12"
- All dreadnoughts get Tank Hunter and Fear
- All vehicles ignore their first failed dangerous terrain test and get +1" to Flat Out moves

Cons
- All infantry must start the game in transports
- Half of your units must be tanks (this is why I have my predators split into two different units, I had to cover the praetor and dreadnought talon)
- If all of your tanks get blown up, your opponent scores an additional secondary objective (typically worth one victory point, but you'll also probably be giving up another d3 in that scenario thanks to the Dark Angels' rules)
- No fortifications or allies

It's got some solid bonuses, but really limits your list construction. This isn't my final list by any means, it's simply one I can work towards relatively quickly. All I'm missing are the command squad and predators. I think 30 scoring models is playing things somewhat risky at 2k; I'd like to have another scoring unit somewhere, but I want to start getting used to this RoW. With all that said, how bad does it look?

Down the line, I'll probably drop the praetor, command squad, and land raider for a delegatus hiding in a command rhino. That'll free up a ton of points that I can use for more tanks and bodies and make my outflanking squads of veterans more reliable.

List looks solid, but yeah, at some point you really want another tank somewhere so you can squadron the predators. I'd think about shaving points and maybe cutting a dread to get a Damocles or other cheap tank in there. Dozer blades are kind of a waste of points with dust of a thousand worlds in my opinion. It's definitely a good list and you'll lose lots of close games with it.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

tallkidwithglasses posted:

List looks solid, but yeah, at some point you really want another tank somewhere so you can squadron the predators. I'd think about shaving points and maybe cutting a dread to get a Damocles or other cheap tank in there. Dozer blades are kind of a waste of points with dust of a thousand worlds in my opinion. It's definitely a good list and you'll lose lots of close games with it.

Hey now, you guys had no problem losing a close game to us even without that rule.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Is there a good resource for the squad level variations of heresy era Dark Angels?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SRM posted:

Emperor's Children are a buncha chumps and Eidolon's got a stupid Skrillex haircut 3 years too late for it to be cool anymore.

WRONG AGAIN

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there a good resource for the squad level variations of heresy era Dark Angels?

The book that comes out in a year will probably be what you're looking for. What we know now is that DA commanders followed a strategic concept called the Hexagrammatron with six different Wings- ironwing and ravenwing (which are our current rites of war) are mechanized combined arms and recon/search and destroy armies. Stormwing, firewing and dreadwing have all been speculated about but aren't really known yet. Deathwing are the vets and might just be represented with Pride of the Legion or might get its own rite some day.

Basically, the first legion seems to be fairly generic dudes that get lots of cool banned wargear that Dad won't let the other legions have, and pretty big advantages if you conform to a really rigid army list. We'll know a lot more when Angelus drops in a year-ish.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stormwing, firewing and dreadwing have all been speculated about but aren't really known yet. Deathwing are the vets and might just be represented with Pride of the Legion or might get its own rite some day.

The other wings have been mentioned briefly as far as the basic ideas go, or at least Lexicanum says so. Firewing is heavy on Devastators and weird ranged guns, Stormwing is assault marines and drop pods, and Dreadwing is Destroyers.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The book that comes out in a year will probably be what you're looking for. What we know now is that DA commanders followed a strategic concept called the Hexagrammatron with six different Wings- ironwing and ravenwing (which are our current rites of war) are mechanized combined arms and recon/search and destroy armies. Stormwing, firewing and dreadwing have all been speculated about but aren't really known yet. Deathwing are the vets and might just be represented with Pride of the Legion or might get its own rite some day.

Basically, the first legion seems to be fairly generic dudes that get lots of cool banned wargear that Dad won't let the other legions have, and pretty big advantages if you conform to a really rigid army list. We'll know a lot more when Angelus drops in a year-ish.

Sorry, should have specified, I meant more along of painting schemas. Like sergeants signifiers and what not.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The other wings have been mentioned briefly as far as the basic ideas go, or at least Lexicanum says so. Firewing is heavy on Devastators and weird ranged guns, Stormwing is assault marines and drop pods, and Dreadwing is Destroyers.

Dreadwing sounds really cool you should play that TKWG

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sorry, should have specified, I meant more along of painting schemas. Like sergeants signifiers and what not.
Nah, there's practically nothing so far. Two Dark Angels were depicted in book VI though.

Basically, it boils down to the terminator being marked with the crossed swords of the Deathwing and the symbol of the Hexagrammaton which represents the six Wings. The keys are a mystery, that's even said in description. The power armored dude has the symbol of the Firewing on his left knee, but there are no details given as to what exactly the Firewing is or does. Both feature a checker pattern though it is interesting that the terminator's is red. I'm guessing this is for Deathwing types like terminators, praetors, etc. I've worked a lot of checker patterns into my force and I've worked a lot of little personal heraldry like stripes and simple patterns on shoulder pads and knee pads. The Dark Angels were known for their weird symbology so why not go for it?

Hixson posted:

Y'all can loving laugh, but I'm going to build two destroyer squads and I'll be ready for their update in the next red book. Gonna Dreadwing like hell. :pcgaming:

Please be good, book VIII. Please be good. :ohdear:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SRM posted:

Now now, don't act like a jit because he can rock a cut you can't. :colbert:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Drybrushed the bone areas with Screaming Skull, followed by a highlight drybrush of Pallid Wych Flesh.

Also finished up those Vindicators.

Had a lot of fun painting these things!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

Drybrushed the bone areas with Screaming Skull, followed by a highlight drybrush of Pallid Wych Flesh.

Also finished up those Vindicators.

Had a lot of fun painting these things!

Are you going to do the brighter green edging on it too?
I have to admit I really like this slightly more subdued look.

Also you should join the Slack channel.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Safety Factor posted:

Nah, there's practically nothing so far. Two Dark Angels were depicted in book VI though.

Basically, it boils down to the terminator being marked with the crossed swords of the Deathwing and the symbol of the Hexagrammaton which represents the six Wings. The keys are a mystery, that's even said in description. The power armored dude has the symbol of the Firewing on his left knee, but there are no details given as to what exactly the Firewing is or does. Both feature a checker pattern though it is interesting that the terminator's is red. I'm guessing this is for Deathwing types like terminators, praetors, etc. I've worked a lot of checker patterns into my force and I've worked a lot of little personal heraldry like stripes and simple patterns on shoulder pads and knee pads. The Dark Angels were known for their weird symbology so why not go for it?

Thanks, with Cypher and the Fallen getting a push in March I thought would use the Prospero MK3 marines as Fallen and was looking for some various signifiers to make them look like disparate forces combined into one unit.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Are you going to do the brighter green edging on it too?
I have to admit I really like this slightly more subdued look.

Also you should join the Slack channel.

This is a trap.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

ijyt posted:

This is a trap.

We're discussing cats right now. I'd say if that's a trap, it's a pretty fluffy and inoffensive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Hixson posted:

I agree and I plan on it. Destroyers are a lot less bad when they're compulsory troops and presumably get extra weapons to do war crimes with. In the books they also apparently get hover land raiders and Spartans, so get on that FW.