Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So what time do we run trials on Sunday? After wiping at 1% on the last boss of Maw... I just need to see him die. Like, I can't let that poo poo stand it'll eat away at me. It's hard for me to make time for raids normally (unless we can do a run before Wednesday) but I'll make the time.

I think a part of me died too irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

That's on the PvE platoon. The Azura's campaign resets tomorrow so PvP squad is going to be pushing multiple people to Emperor this week.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Scyantific posted:

That's on the PvE platoon. The Azura's campaign resets tomorrow so PvP squad is going to be pushing multiple people to Emperor this week.

Nice. Thanks again for coming and trying to salvage the run.

Would anyone have interest in a Maw run tonight (preferably) or tomorrow? I was thinking around ~8pm EST, possibly 9 or 10 if we have Best Coasters that want to join. I'd only do it if we had enough guild interest because gently caress running with pubbies.

I'm away on a business trip that ends Thursday, so it gets harder for me to make time for trials after this week. Having a family makes finding time for group content incredibly difficult. :v:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Hakarne posted:

Nice. Thanks again for coming and trying to salvage the run.

Would anyone have interest in a Maw run tonight (preferably) or tomorrow? I was thinking around ~8pm EST, possibly 9 or 10 if we have Best Coasters that want to join. I'd only do it if we had enough guild interest because gently caress running with pubbies.

I'm away on a business trip that ends Thursday, so it gets harder for me to make time for trials after this week. Having a family makes finding time for group content incredibly difficult. :v:

I'd do it, I highly doubt we'd get a full guild run though it's possible. As long as we have like tank + healer(s) and a couple dps it wouldn't be too bad with pubbies. Most experiences I've had with PUG groups and trials have been positive (although a few dragged longer than they should have because of dumb poo poo)

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
So I've just started playing after burning out really quickly when I first bought the game a while ago, trying the StamSorc guide to seemingly great success. I'm just kinda following the quest chain it seems to want me to stay on. Is there anything other than those things that I should be doing?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anniversary posted:

So I've just started playing after burning out really quickly when I first bought the game a while ago, trying the StamSorc guide to seemingly great success. I'm just kinda following the quest chain it seems to want me to stay on. Is there anything other than those things that I should be doing?

do the fighters guild and mages guild stuff and uhhh, if you have an active sub then you can dick around with Thieves Guild / Dark brotherhood stuff. other than that you are probs doing good

Orty
May 14, 2007

Trying the game out again after a looong while (played around launch), needing an invite for @OrtOrtOrty

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Joining all the guilds at the start of your character is a good idea but I must emphasize fighters guild so you can get that dawnbreaker ultimate for PVP.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

What is considered a good DPS for a freshly-geared CP160ish Magblade? I pull about 13-15k sustained but idk if that's average or low. Posts I see say 20k is a good number to shoot for but most of them also say that's a minimum for high-CP super optimized people. I'm in all purps at CP170 so I don't know... just want to make sure I'm not sucking and dragging runs down.

Edit: Actually nevermind, on "normal" fights with an execute phase I'm easily around 20k+. Didn't account for that with my testing. Oops.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 22, 2017

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Forgive the extremely newbie question, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around weapons in this game.

In a magblade build, do I actually worry about my damage output from conventional attacks, or is the expectation that I grab that dual-wield bonus that ups all my DPS output and rely on slotted magical abilities for my DPS?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Morrowind Gameplay Trailer coming through!

https://youtu.be/HVdzUBwA4-k

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Nerevar Rising still punches me in the feels every single time.

Also, I... really want to summon suicide Cliff Racers.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Alright, I'm doing a last-ditch attempt to set up a Maw run tonight around 8:30pm EST. If it doesn't work out, I guess I'll just have to hope I can make a Sunday run.

See you there (hopefully)!

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Can someone explain set crafting to me a little more?

I've just been sending all magic stuff to an alt and leveling all crafting on him so far, but I haven't been paying too much attention to what I'm researching other than just plowing through traits 1 item at a time. When I craft a set does that set require that you have x amount of traits researched for EVERY piece (I'm assuming so)?

So if I have a 4 set piece that requires 6 traits, I need to research all the way to 6 traits on 4 different items? If so gently caress that's a lot of time.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Scyantific posted:

I really don't like the "generic 'epic' trailer" editing they did, but what is there to see looks really good. Especially the cliffracer to the troll's face. :v:

Sky Shadowing posted:

Also very much this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dinurth posted:

So if I have a 4 set piece that requires 6 traits, I need to research all the way to 6 traits on 4 different items? If so gently caress that's a lot of time.

Yes. And yes.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Crafted+Sets

Here's a list of all the crafted sets, the trait requirements, and where you can craft them.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Sky Shadowing posted:

I didn't know what this meant, because I dunno the names to any of the tracks. And then the song hit.

:vince:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Aramek posted:

I didn't know what this meant, because I dunno the names to any of the tracks. And then the song hit.

:vince:

My feels got a glass jaw because pow!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
ed: nvm, I probably misremembered it after all

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Lima posted:

My feels got a glass jaw because pow!

We're going home, Lima. :black101:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I am going to miss the PvP no CP test due to a month of travel. I think I would have enjoyed it.

Crafting: (others know a lot more, but here is what I got...)

You probably want to shift your research activity to your main or level the alt for skill points. You will need skill points on any crafter who is going to actually craft.

Crafted sets are unlocked based on the number of traits researched and can only be made at crafting stations specific to that set. This goes piece by piece with gear. If you have 6 traits researched for heavy chest then you can make the heavy chest pieces from armor sets requiring 6 traits or less. E.g. julianos or hundings. You would go to a hundings or julianos crafting station and under the set tab it will only show you the pieces where you have 6 traits researched.

Get the research passives as soon as able for the three gear lines: blacksmithing, tailoring, carpentry. These allow you to research more items and reduces research times. This makes a huge difference.

Tailoring has two lines of trait research; cloth and leather. Blacksmithing also has two lines, weapons and heavy. Wood only has bow, staves and shields. Woodwork gets done fastest given there are fewer pieces. Almost all builds will use things from blacksmithing, most notably weapons.

You might consider thinking about what builds you want later and focus on that gear first. For instance, you might research chest, legs and swords first in blacksmithing... or something like that. Then pick pieces from tailoring... probably focus on gloves, waist and feet since you can use monster helms/shoulders. Maybe destro, resto, shield or something in woodwork.

Maybe Training is the first thing to unlock while leveling? Or have a Guildie make you a complete training set and use it until out leveled then research it all? Except for tanks you might want to prioritize Divines research for PvE and Impen for PvP on desired armor pieces to start. Sharpened for swords is what most people do. For a PvE crit build precise daggers can work. You could start by prioritizing those traits on pieces you want for the build you want. There might just be some things you want like a big honking hammer or something, so think about that.

All traits except Nirhoned are easy to get. The quality and enchantment do not matter for research. This means that researching up to 8 traits is pretty straightforward. Just takes time.

Some of the very low trait sets can be useful in many builds, e.g. Seducer = 3 traits.

I think the most commonly crafted sets for generic builds are probably:
- Torugs, 3 traits (usually swords for the 2 piece spell damage and then mixed with other 5 piece sets, e.g. 5/5/2 builds)
- Seducer, 3 traits (excellent for generic magicka builds where you want sustain)
- Hundings, 6 traits
- Julianos, 6 traits
(Both mostly PvE sets because of crit bonuses which are not that useful in PvP)
- Clever Alchemist, 7 traits (this can be a great set both PvE and PvP and since the buff carries on bar switch can be used with a single weapon from a different set on the back bar)
- Kagrenacs Hope, 8 traits
- Twice Born Star, 9 traits

Other sets can be very cool for some builds:
I use Twilights Embrace on self healing lizards for leveling.
Nights Silence can be great for sneak and mist builds.
Tava's is great for Ult monkeys.
Etc.

Anyway, that's some stuff on crafting. I am sure people will correct any mistakes and bad opinions.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

Sogol posted:

crafting stuffs

This is super helpful, thanks.

Basically what I did was my first character had just been deconstructing everything as I went along. I largely ignored crafting and just deconstructed stuff 'cause it seemed like the thing to do. I gave up on that char at level 35 and have been playing other classes but that chars crafting skills were all in the high teens/low twenties so I've just been sending poo poo to him to deconstruct/research.

So that character is just by default my equipment crafter at least - I dunno how many skill points I need to be efficient in that but I can always respec. I did respec my morphs to have enough points to grab the passives at least, being able to research 2 at a time is a huge win.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'll be honest, if I had 5 more days off a year June 6th would be a date to take off for me. Morrowind is almost sacred to me.

But I will be on as soon as I get home and get things set up.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Dinurth posted:

This is super helpful, thanks.

Basically what I did was my first character had just been deconstructing everything as I went along. I largely ignored crafting and just deconstructed stuff 'cause it seemed like the thing to do. I gave up on that char at level 35 and have been playing other classes but that chars crafting skills were all in the high teens/low twenties so I've just been sending poo poo to him to deconstruct/research.

So that character is just by default my equipment crafter at least - I dunno how many skill points I need to be efficient in that but I can always respec. I did respec my morphs to have enough points to grab the passives at least, being able to research 2 at a time is a huge win.

I think eventually you need about 23 skill points per gear line for base passives.
10 points in materials, e.g. Metalworking for end game mats.
4 in metallurgy to max out research buffs.
3 in temper to minimize temper use when improving gear (Tempers and 160 mats become a constraint at a certain point so you want to be preparing for that maybe).
3 in extraction to max decon results (important for tempers)
3 for hireling.
Keen eye isn't that useful for gear mats. I find it useful for Alch. Maybe for tailoring.

So for the main three gear crafts 69 points? I have a Stamplar with maxed skill points in blacksmithing, tailoring, woodworking and enchanting and still have plenty of skill points to work with most of the time. So for the three main gear lines that uses up about half o the skill points available from shards, which might mean that a character you are both going to play and use for crafting should do the skill point story lines and dungeons. I still kind of play the stamplar, but mostly he is just a decon monkey and gear crafter. I have a handful of alts that are maxed on the gear lines with no research.

If I am not crafting anything or on alts that have crafts leveled, but no research I just run 10 in the first passive and 3 hireling for mats, writs, etc.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Has anyone tried much frost tanking yet? I have a question I can't test for a month.

Vampire Mist disables Magicka regen. However, if you cast Channeled focus just before entering Mist you get the Magicka regen while in Mist.

I am wondering if it works this way for Frost Staff blocking. Similarly I am wondering if Syrabane's Grip regens while blocking. I am guessing both work. 240/1 sec from Focus and 860 or something from Syrabane whenever you are blocking any elemental or magic (which seems like it would be most of the time).

So 1100/sec regen while blocking if that works. Isn't that about half of block cost before any buffs, passives etc.?

Taunt seems a problem though since you have to fully charge a Frost heavy to get it without using a set bonus, S&B bar or Inner Fire.

Taunts not an issue for PvP though. Wonder if a Frost back bar would be useful anti-burst?

Anyway... anyone had any luck with Frosty the Tank?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Stilt striders are gonna be in Morrowind and can be used for Fast Travel

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Stilt striders are gonna be in Morrowind and can be used for Fast Travel

Sold.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
In fact, I bit the Muatra and ordered that physical CE this morning. Gotta wait for the beast to arrive, then to install... but I should have an artbook to read through for that :20bux:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Scyantific posted:

Can't say I'm not excited, but it's kind of weird to see Seyda Neen show up with the exact same imperial architecture it had in Morrowind. It shouldn't even exist yet! :spergin:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Can't say I'm not excited, but it's kind of weird to see Seyda Neen show up with the exact same imperial architecture it had in Morrowind. It shouldn't even exist yet! :spergin:
In the livestream Bethesda did the other week, they asked two level designers about it and they explained why it look like this in-lore.
Out of lore it's because the first version was too different to be recognizable so they changed it to look more similar to how it did in TES3. :v:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh god I just heard about the Morrowind expansion.

I remember when this game was announced in 2013 (or whenever it was)it was a huge joke because it looked like a good MMO circa 2008. Then I never followed anything to do with it. I take it the game is actually good?

Do I dare take a look at it?

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well I thought I had grown out of pre-ordering Collectors' Editions, but Morrowind has proven me wrong.

I'm old enough to still remember loading up Elder Scrolls: Arena off floppy disk, and the first shock of hearing 'Vengeance!' at night in Daggerfall. Definitely old enough to know better.

But Vivec City and that soundtrack made it impossible to resist.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I remember when this game was announced in 2013 (or whenever it was)it was a huge joke because it looked like a good MMO circa 2008. Then I never followed anything to do with it. I take it the game is actually good?

it is actually much improved from launch

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

This game's art direction is really impressive, not just for an MMO but in general. The first time I did Elden Hollow II and got to Bogdan I almost let the group die because I was ogling the weird upside-down daedric buildings above us.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ThzuXWwA0

Provisioning IRL.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

radintorov posted:

In the livestream Bethesda did the other week, they asked two level designers about it and they explained why it look like this in-lore.
Out of lore it's because the first version was too different to be recognizable so they changed it to look more similar to how it did in TES3. :v:

Yeah, they explained the original mock up of Seyda Neen was in Hlaalu architecture (they've always controlled the port technically) but upon review it was received as just too unfamiliar for the first thing players will see. So they went to the Loremaster for the game and he was like well, Hlaalu as being big on trade with outsiders would naturally have ties with the Gold Coast Trading company so that's how they worked it out to get Imperial buildings in there. All the other Imperial towns/forts aren't going to be in ESO:MW like they were in TES3 they've said, though.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Because Ebonheart Goons doesn't have that goony ring to it, I've submitted a name change to replace it with Chill Bros Chat Lounge.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I got sucked back in recently because of this too and they actually genuinely made some solid changes. The buy 2 play model is real good and the whole 'one tamriel' thing means faction literally only matters for PvP and you can go wherever to do whatever. It very much feels like an elder scrolls game now.

There is still kinda the nagging 'why is this an MMO' factor when mostly the multiplayer uses when you're not doing pvp are just chat and all but I like to RP so at the very least I can 'justify' it by getting my lovely cat drunk and arguing with a Nord over who's culture has better food, that's something I can't do in Skyrim.

poo poo's good. Also there's houses now, I love any MMO with houses, but I've yet to dive into that poo poo yet.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone shoot @cat_mouse an invite to the guild please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Are these armor and weapon sets unique pieces and something I should be holding onto for a rainy day, or can they be bought/crafted/random drops?