Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ape Fist posted:

They wouldn't do it if they didn't think there was a kernel of moral satisfaction to be had from doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

This is so stupid. A word doesnt stop holding meaning because you saw a lot of people on the internet use it. Everyone on the internet talks about cats, do cats not exist anymore?

No but it makes a lot of people hate cats

The thing that SJW types don't get is a LOT OF US agree with most of what they have to say but they say it in the most dickish, pretentious "Oh, gently caress off" manner possible and it literally turns people against them.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Blazing Ownager posted:

The thing that SJW types don't get is a LOT OF US agree with most of what they have to say but they say it in the most dickish, pretentious "Oh, gently caress off" manner possible and it literally turns people against them.

this is called tone policing btw

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

i still have not met or interacted with a sjw on the internet yet, whats it like

(though i have been called a pink haired sjw cuck by a frogified friend who had a bit of a meltdown due to some posts critical of trump's platform in chat, so maybe i dont see them because im the true obease rainbow female. its me.)

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
The PC police are the left wing equivalent to Christian Fundamentalists and thank god for the American system of ping ponging us back and forth culturally without having to resort to civil wars because this country was going the way of North Korea

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

I said come in! posted:

This is so stupid. A word doesnt stop holding meaning because you saw a lot of people on the internet use it. Everyone on the internet talks about cats, do cats not exist anymore?

It's simple: calling everyone a racist or a Nazi dilutes the efficacy of that criticism. This is the moral of the story the boy who cried wolf.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
It also has the effect of "Oh I'm a racist already, Ok whatever, then I give 0 fucks"

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

It also has the effect of "Oh I'm a racist already, Ok whatever, then I give 0 fucks"

I don't know about that. I haven't devolved into an unsympathetic mindset just because a misanthrope called me a Soviet Nazi racist

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Toadvine posted:

I don't know about that. I haven't devolved into an unsympathetic mindset just because a misanthrope called me a Soviet Nazi racist

Being constantly battered with "loving white male oppressor racist devil whose very existence brings misery upon the Earth" doesn't make you jaded?

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
wait, is good and important internet forums poster spunky psycho ho constantly battered with people telling him that he's an rear end in a top hat? if thats true, that does seem extremely unfair and completely unwarranted indeed. the universe is a cruel and uncaring place.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Minorities get called terrorists, thugs, murderers, and rapists, some of these groups are being called that by our own president. I think white people can handle being called racist. You're pretty thin skinned and have zero perspective on the world if you're upset by this to the point where you want to pretend a word no longer means anything.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Being constantly battered with "loving white male oppressor racist devil whose very existence brings misery upon the Earth" doesn't make you jaded?

Water on a ducks back.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Minorities get called terrorists, thugs, murderers, and rapists, some of these groups are being called that by our own president. I think white people can handle being called racist. You're pretty thin skinned and have zero perspective on the world if you're upset by this to the point where you want to pretend a word no longer means anything.

Do you think every white person who gets called racist actually is racist? Have you read The Boy Who Cried Wolf?

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

I said come in! posted:

Two wrongs dont make a right

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

I said come in! posted:

Here we go "This group gets to be offended by every little phrase, and this group has to suck it up and take it" The USA just rebelled against that thinking, because it's ignorant

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Here we go "This group gets to be offended by every little phrase, and this group has to suck it up and take it" The USA just rebelled against that thinking, because it's ignorant

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
when contrasting voter turnout to the previous election, wasn't the primary reason why the demos lost because they just failed to energize a bunch of voters that turned out in the prev election? im not sure if that could be qualified as a rebellion, but then again, i dont watch quality youtube series This Week In Stupid

crime weed fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 22, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Kjoery posted:

i still have not met or interacted with a sjw on the internet yet, whats it like

(though i have been called a pink haired sjw cuck by a frogified friend who had a bit of a meltdown due to some posts critical of trump's platform in chat, so maybe i dont see them because im the true obease rainbow female. its me.)

Look at the man to your left. Now look at the man to your right. Statistically one in three Americans is actually a transethnic e-warrior who plans on forcefully aborting red-blooded American babies! Know who to trust.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

I said come in! posted:

The difference is that nobody whines when the minorities don't vote for the people insulting them.

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

new phone who dis posted:

The difference is that nobody whines when the minorities don't vote for the people insulting them.
i can imagine people complaining that "The Minorities probably all vote Democrat".

i think that might actually be a pretty mainstream thing???

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

i can imagine people complaining that "The Minorities probably all vote Democrat".

i think that might actually be a pretty mainstream thing???

The point I'm making is that if prominent people in your party insult and demean white people for being white, don't act shocked when they vote for someone else, especially when minorities do the same thing. The left can either be ideologically pure to identity politics and lose, or try to compromise and win. It's not that complicated.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Toadvine posted:

It's simple: calling everyone a racist or a Nazi dilutes the efficacy of that criticism. This is the moral of the story the boy who cried wolf.

lol, but wolves still exist :smug:
- A GBS poster

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

new phone who dis posted:

The point I'm making is that if prominent people in your party insult and demean white people for being white, don't act shocked when they vote for someone else, especially when minorities do the same thing. The left can either be ideologically pure to identity politics and lose, or try to compromise and win. It's not that complicated.
this post raises so many questions for me

*wasn't hillary a boring as hell centrist who never took a tangible or exciting position on any real issue?
*didnt the democrats lose because they didnt motivate their voterbase? im fairly certain that's the reason.
*if so, becoming even more compromise-y in that election would have made things even worse for the demos

yeah, hillary called trump racist for calling mexicans rapists, and sexist for his statement about cat-nabbin', but i feel like that doesn't qualify as identity politics. nothing about that campaign was identity politics.

im not sure if this issue you have with the democratic party is real, dude. i think you might, instead, have issue with a bunch of loud, insane individuals who talking heads on youtube put in the spotlight for the sake of clicks

e: oh, i guess they did push the "clinton is a female" angle a lot, so there's one identity politics that you get for free

crime weed fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 22, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Kjoery posted:

nothing about that campaign was identity politics.

Are you even from America

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
turns out attacking people for something they have no control over is kinda lovely even if you're punching up

e: or in the case of the tools in the above pic punching yourself :v:

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Are you even from America
i mostly watched the debates and news headlines. i dont recall hillary ever making consistent, strong statements about BLM; i thought she sort of edged around it in order to appear more centrist

e: oops, i worked so hard to avoid responding to forums poster spunky psycho ho, but here i am now. time to take a break from the internet in shame

crime weed fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 22, 2017

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Kjoery posted:

i mostly watched the debates and news headlines. i dont recall hillary ever making consistent, strong statements about BLM; i thought she sort of edged around it in order to appear more centrist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWM0ukT-Xw

Straight from the horses mouth

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kjoery posted:

nothing about that campaign was identity politics.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

rezatahs posted:

turns out attacking people for something they have no control over is kinda lovely even if you're punching up

nnnooooOO! :catstare:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I like how I'm just called "white", doesn't matter where my family came from I'm just "white" and I'm a problem, probably part of a slave-owning family. Doesn't matter that I'm half Algerian from North Africa, doesn't matter that my other half is Norwegian and never owned slaves, doesn't matter that my family is poor because I'm "white" so therefore I'm privileged and bad.

Even though this rhetoric was turned up to 11 this election I still didn't vote for Trump though, Jill Stein all the way baby.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I honestly don't know what's worse. Being hated because of your pale skin color or being hated because of your dark skin color

I don't know how far this polarization has reached in the US, or how further it will continue, but Trump and his clique certainly sound like assholes who like to pour more oil on this fire and then playing the victim card when things are heating up.

We have the same bunch of assholes in Europe too though.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Kjoery posted:

*wasn't hillary a boring as hell centrist who never took a tangible or exciting position on any real issue?
*didnt the democrats lose because they didnt motivate their voterbase? im fairly certain that's the reason.
*if so, becoming even more compromise-y in that election would have made things even worse for the demos

Remaining in the middle and ignoring the supporters to your left is a huge compromise

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

This poo poo is the worst

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I don't know how far this polarization has reached in the US, or how further it will continue, but Trump and his clique certainly sound like assholes who like to pour more oil on this fire and then playing the victim card when things are heating up.

This is a lovely hot take, considering that the Dems polarized the everliving gently caress out of the US in the last few decades.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Kjoery posted:

yeah, hillary called trump racist for calling mexicans rapists, and sexist for his statement about cat-nabbin', but i feel like that doesn't qualify as identity politics. nothing about that campaign was identity politics.

im not sure if this issue you have with the democratic party is real, dude. i think you might, instead, have issue with a bunch of loud, insane individuals who talking heads on youtube put in the spotlight for the sake of clicks

e: oh, i guess they did push the "clinton is a female" angle a lot, so there's one identity politics that you get for free

Hillary's economic centrism and stupid pandering to identity leftism was a double death sentence for her. You have to remember: she though putting up Lena Dunham at the convention was a good idea and was going to attract all the right type of voters. It's like someone said "Find us someone like Paris Hilton, but more woke and insufferable".

The compromise turbo leftists and identity cultists need to make is with the white working class who happily voted for Obama twice. There are only so many sad-sack white people you can browbeat into hating themselves and voting as you instruct them to against their own interests.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Fog Tripper posted:

This is a lovely hot take, considering that the Dems polarized the everliving gently caress out of the US in the last few decades.

These people arguing live in Europe. They have no idea what America is even like. They should look inwards, to Brexit, which essentially rallied the Trump movement to victory

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fog Tripper posted:

I'm aware this opinion is common among those who usually consider the democrats as their political enemy.

Honestly, seen from the outside, the responsibility is AT LEAST shared between both extremes of the spectrum. Democrats look like they mostly take a defensive stances VS what they perceive as attack against people's rights.

But I agree some of the battles they fight really are stupid

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

These people arguing live in Europe. They have no idea what America is even like. They should look inwards, to Brexit, which essentially rallied the Trump movement to victory

It's kind of a similar situation.

A bunch of lazy people considered that their rights were granted, didn't go to vote, and now wake up with a hangover realizing that you have to constantly fight for what you consider worthy.

Truly a lesson for all of us.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm aware this opinion is common among those who usually consider the democrats as their political enemy.

Well, seeing as the democrats have labeled all white males to be literally hitler, what do you expect from us? To imagine them other than political enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Fog Tripper posted:

Well, seeing as the democrats have labeled all white males to be literally hitler, what do you expect from us? To imagine them other than political enemies?

That's why I said the country is way too polarized, maybe even beyond repair.

When Trump says Mexicans are job stealing, drug trafficking rapists I don't feel like the other camp is trying to make a step in the correct direction neither :shrug:

I don't know where this madness will lead to? Is one of the sides ready to appear as weaker and cease the demonization? Do we need more deaths to realize where this leads to? I have no answers.

• Locked thread