Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Random thing I'm hoping for Stormblood:
A visual indicator (like the stack-up marker, or the gaze attack marker, or even a different colored cast-bar or something) for interruptible attacks. Interrupts in this game are a weird thing because they're used for extra DPS in like 99% of situations. If they added a universally available interrupt in the cross class overhaul and made it obvious when you can interrupt an AoE instead of dodging out of it, they could play around with interrupts as a mechanic a little bit more which I think would be interesting, as long as they don't go overboard with it. Nobody wants to try to coordinate chain CC for 5 minutes on a raid boss in DF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Orange circle means you can interrupt, red circle means RUN :v:

That'd be pretty cool.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What they should do for 4.0 is give healers a skill that transfers damage from the tank to a chosen surrogate so in theory you share a tankbuster with an off-tank but what you really use it for is to share a tankbuster with people with bad attitudes so they die

Reverse Cover? Bizarro Shadewalker? I'll take it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I had so much fun in SWTOR with the leap to ally ability a tank had and the pull ally to you that healers had.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Truga posted:

Orange circle means you can interrupt, red circle means RUN :v:

That'd be pretty cool.

Well it would also probably need to differentiate between stuns, silences, and knock backs, since those can all be used to interrupt in different situations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thundarr posted:

I'd call it the "fast use combat keepsafe damage prevention synastry"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Had an interesting night last night. I cleared A2S, then accidentally joined an A5S group. Despite knowing nothing about the fight I was still able to clear it and the group I was with was pretty cool. I was less successful in my first try with A9S, but I still had fun trying to learn the fight.

Also thanks for the recommendation to reduce FPS to make those sightseeing jumps-I managed to get the Ixal Logging entry. The only hard jump remaining is the Silvertear Lake one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well it would also probably need to differentiate between stuns, silences, and knock backs, since those can all be used to interrupt in different situations.

Dont forget draw in. You can interrupt with holmgang.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

What happens if you holmgang Cerberus as he's about to charge?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dont forget draw in. You can interrupt with holmgang.

That would be such a fun ability if it wasn't tied to survival and didn't have a 3-year cooldown.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Brainamp posted:

You stand there like a moron while Cerberus killdozers half your alliance regardless.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Augus posted:

I want those two Dragoon positionals where it's random which one you have to use to be shot out of a cannon.
Also better feedback on whether you did a positional properly or not would be nice.

I just had this thought: maybe there could be a visual indicator for which positional you got, without having to look your hotbar? it's a small change but having one less situation where my eyes have to dance around the screen would go a long way. especially since there's a delay between you hitting the attack and the hotbar icon updating to tell you which positional to use, making it that much more of a scramble to get into the right place.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

kojei posted:

You stand there like a moron while Cerberus killdozers half your alliance regardless.

Weak. Was hoping you'd go along for the ride.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brainamp posted:

The same thing that happens if you use Holmgang on Zurvan right before Soar.

Fly, Enkidu!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

I just had this thought: maybe there could be a visual indicator for which positional you got, without having to look your hotbar? it's a small change but having one less situation where my eyes have to dance around the screen would go a long way. especially since there's a delay between you hitting the attack and the hotbar icon updating to tell you which positional to use, making it that much more of a scramble to get into the right place.

This is 100% the kind of thing YoshiP meant when he said some classes would get new custom UI things to help them track buffs and whatnot.

On that subject, I kind of think that based on what we do know of this "revamp" and what he said that they're doing at the moment, revamp was probably the wrong word and sets the wrong impressions because his intentions seem more like a grand scale rebalance of abilities, including by squashing, where revamp makes it sound like mechanics are going to change on some level.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 22, 2017

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Once I started playing MCH I increased my buff text size considerably just to better see when Split/Slug shot procs. It's still not enough so I keep checking out my hotbar.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Brainamp posted:

Weak. Was hoping you'd go along for the ride.

It's an instant self root combined with an instant targeted draw-in into root. There's not actually any tethering involved in the ability.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Augus posted:

There's even precedent for such things in other games, such as XCX. See:

Right above the weapon name it says Front/Low and that updates in real time to let you know your position relative to your target. It'd be a really helpful feature in XIV since sometimes, especially on very big or very small targets it can be hard to know when you're out of flank and into back.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The most fun holmgang use is jumping off a cliff in PVP and dragging someone down with you.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's even precedent for such things in other games, such as XCX. See:

Right above the weapon name it says Front/Low and that updates in real time to let you know your position relative to your target. It'd be a really helpful feature in XIV since sometimes, especially on very big or very small targets it can be hard to know when you're out of flank and into back.

Yeah, something like that would be really nice. I mean, when bootshine crits I know I did it right, but otherwise, I'd like some feedback.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

After seeing this UI, any desire of playing Xenoblade Chronicles X has melted away.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

After seeing this UI, any desire of playing Xenoblade Chronicles X has melted away.

It's actually a very good and fun game

as long as you skip the cutscenes

dear god please skip the pot

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Renegret posted:

don't skip the pot, it'll help you endure the characters

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The combat in Xenoblade X is like an MMO but with the parts that make an MMO fun taken out and not really replaced with anything.
It's a really fun world to run around in and explore though

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hopefully the new UI differentiates debuffs that can be cleansed from those that can't.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

WrightOfWay posted:

Hopefully the new UI differentiates debuffs that can be cleansed from those that can't.

This is super annoying. Like I think all poisons can be cleansed, but only some bleeds and no vulnerabilities.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In HW, 1 poison that can't be cleansed was introduced, though I can't recall where exactly.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
So im lvl 47 and just rescued the scions from prision. The next story quest is lvl 49. Apart from Duty Roulette is there anything I should be doing to get to 49?

I just returned so I might not have all the cool little toys (Just realized I had a mount!)

Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

the magic vulnerability up from cruise chaser's 1-8 dash attack can actually be cleansed, which is weird as hell. it's helpful in 7-man runs of a11s so that nobody has to die for that mechanic.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

This is super annoying. Like I think all poisons can be cleansed, but only some bleeds and no vulnerabilities.

I've seen an uncleanseable paralyze, too, but I can't remember where.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Exmond posted:

So im lvl 47 and just rescued the scions from prision. The next story quest is lvl 49. Apart from Duty Roulette is there anything I should be doing to get to 49?

I just returned so I might not have all the cool little toys (Just realized I had a mount!)

You can unlock the Palace of the Dead from a quest in Gridania. It's a bit of a dungeon crawler side dungeon and can give good exp quickly if you repeat the lower few floors.

The challenge log has a few good bonuses, as does the hunting log if you haven't finished them. I traditionally finished my last couple levels pre-50 with Mor Dhona leve quests as well.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There should be several quests available in the side room where the non-Minfilia scions hang out- each of those opens a short chain that'll get you a fair bit of XP.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Philonius posted:

This is very Les Miserables... Do you hear the people sing?

I think it sounds very similar to Terra's theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75QC59i-dIY

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

unseenlibrarian posted:

There should be several quests available in the side room where the non-Minfilia scions hang out- each of those opens a short chain that'll get you a fair bit of XP.
This was how I did it, and North Thanalan FATEs which I assume nobody bots anymore. Palace of the Dead is also a great suggestion.

That 47-48 hump is actually a big deal, a lot of people hit it, and it's the only one you'll have until Heavensward content, so it gets better, keep at it!

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
47-49 seems like a good time for beast tribe quests, too.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Kobold ones would be the best for that since there's those 2 fates that are always active after one has finished and they're connected to daily quests that the tribe gives out so that's also free xp when you turn in one of the tokens. They also have the best mount.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Renegret posted:

It's actually a very good and fun game

as long as you skip the cutscenes

Also give everyone a helmet that covers their face because holy god the faces in that game. :stonk:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TheRagamuffin posted:

47-49 seems like a good time for beast tribe quests, too.

That's what I did to cover that gap, though this was when there weren't other options like PotD.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yaaay, I beat ZurvEX this morning :buddy: The amount of forced gently caress-you-GL3s is lame, but I think I still like playing Monk over Ninja even there. At least until they give us Red Mage.

Next I guess I get to decide which endless grind I want to do: MNK relic from square one, or farm lanners when I only have the Ravana one so far. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I want to say the paralyse in a10s is not cleansable, but I honestly can't remember. I know the one in Thor EX is cleansable. Farm groups still can't do towers in that final phase. I'm glad I have my mount.

I don't really know why cleanse isn't made like it is in WoW. That is, instant and just doesn't go off if something can't be removed with the skill. While I'm on the topic, why 0.5 seconds? What other spells in this game are 0.5 seconds (without Lightspeed)?

So many jobs rely on some chance mechanism such that I really am hoping their reworking of the UI offers more information. I remember having hud add-ons in WoW that I could have change colour with certain buffs or debuffs. Something like that'd be nice.

• Locked thread