Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Serf posted:

ME3 was a great game that just got steadily better and better until at the very last second it suddenly exploded and not in a good way. The ending wasn't even bad, just very disappointing because it wasn't what I was hoping for as a way to end Shepard's story. The rest of the game is absolutely fantastic though. I'm playing through it again and it is just as fun as the first time.

ME3 was a pretty uneven game throughout, in fact it might be the most uneven game I've ever played. Really weak opening, a fantastic middle section from Tuchanka through Rannoch, then everything kind of falls apart again after Thessia. You can tell that Earth was really supposed to encapsulate the whole last 1/3rd of the game with its own hub area instead of being just one final mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Fangz posted:

Yeah, pretty much. He's just a cheesy midboss?

It was also pretty cathartic when his beaten, broken body tries to drag himself up to Sheaperd to stab them in the back, only for you to punch his sword in half and gut him with your Omni-blade.

Serf
May 5, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

ME3 was a pretty uneven game throughout, in fact it might be the most uneven game I've ever played. Really weak opening, a fantastic middle section from Tuchanka through Rannoch, then everything kind of falls apart again after Thessia. You can tell that Earth was really supposed to encapsulate the whole last 1/3rd of the game with its own hub area instead of being just one final mission.

I thought the opening was great. Seeing Earth get hammered by the Reapers while you escape and Anderson staying behind provided me with plenty of motivation for the rest of the game. Everything felt urgent, and because they never showed you what was happening, just implied it through your interactions with Anderson, let you fill in the gaps with your imagination. And by the end, the final mission on Earth really lived up to those expectations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Maybe Earth was so important because here's Shepherd, this Earthling who killed a Reaper AND invaded their space, destroyed that ridiculous baby thing and escaped and is now chilling on their home planet.

I'd wipe them out ASAP if I were the reapers!!!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Serf posted:

ME3 was a great game that just got steadily better and better until at the very last second it suddenly exploded and not in a good way. The ending wasn't even bad, just very disappointing because it wasn't what I was hoping for as a way to end Shepard's story. The rest of the game is absolutely fantastic though. I'm playing through it again and it is just as fun as the first time.

The biggest issue I had with the original ending for me was that you didn't get anything regarding the things you did and the decisions you made. It ended without a denounement of all the side quests and decisions. They fixed it with the patch, but it showed how completely tone-deaf they where about what people liked about ME.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You bozos are high, Mass Effect 3 is the worst game ever made

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
ME2's theme is so loving cool

dun dundundun dundundun dundundun dun dundundundundundun dun dundundun dundundun dundundun

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Zzulu posted:

You bozos are high, Mass Effect 3 is the worst game ever made

lmao it's not even the worst Bioware game

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Dexo posted:

lmao it's not even the worst Bioware game

ever. made

I think the cancer in my heart developed from ME3

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGames posted:

I liked the ME3 ending.

I naturally went with destroy because my shepherd from day one was ruthless and gets the job done at any cost, even if it means losing synthetics. Plus it turns out that my shepherd also survived because I saw them breathing at the very end! I always believed that shepherd was slowly being indoctrinated like Saren and the Illusive man (I also managed to get both of them to suicide thanks to my ridiculous renegade points both times). My shepherd fought against it constantly and saw Control as being a lie - they would have controlled me! And merge felt like imposing a biological change on the members of the galaxy and that wasn't fair.

OMG I forgot about the Shepard breathing scene at the end! Why the gently caress did they do that? :psyduck:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MadBimber posted:

lmao kelly chambers was a poo poo character and u dum if you didnt let Cerberus ice her
She always had time for me, which is more than I can say about a certain girlfriend who hosed off to become the Shadow Broker.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

the good fax machine posted:

OMG I forgot about the Shepard breathing scene at the end! Why the gently caress did they do that? :psyduck:

it was good

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Turning the AI characters into Pinocchio stories was very bad and it's the thing I hate about ME3's plot the most.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

What's wrong with that? I thought that was awesome!

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Zzulu posted:

There will be a day 1 DLC that'll give her a huge honkin dick

Uh, canonically, Asari have the biggest dicks in the galaxy :rolleyes:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

OniPanda posted:

Uh, canonically, Asari have the biggest dicks in the galaxy :rolleyes:

:prepop:

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGames posted:

What's wrong with that? I thought that was awesome!

Talk about blue balls. Is she dead? Guess we'll never know.

(She biotic charged a colony ship and is Andromedas final boss)

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

ME3 might have felt more even to me if they didn't open it with the Reapers attacking in the first five minutes. Like, they spend two whole games setting them up as these giant space-station sized death monsters that lay waste to civilizations, but apparently they're slowly rounding everyone up and putting them into camps first so really take your time Shepard and go scan some planets. It's a cool set piece to start with, but after hyping them up as an unstoppable apocalypse they're forced to neuter them just to give a reason for the rest of the game to happen.

Hobo Clown fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 22, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bongo Bill posted:

His deal was being calm, diplomatic, and well-adjusted. Doesn't make him an interesting conversational partner, but every scene he's in, he's there keeping things on track and deescalating. He also ends up being the perfect example of how Cerberus tried to fool Shepard into thinking they were on the level by assigning every decent person and/or total schmuck in their entire mad science terrorism syndicate to the Normandy.

isn't that on like one of the video diaries in 3. Cerberus basically puts all its sanest/free thinking members into on Shepherd's team to make them look better. i never minded Cerberus batshittery and being some super large evil organazation that has like 20 million lovely projects that don't work and disposable grunts.

VideoGames posted:

Maybe Earth was so important because here's Shepherd, this Earthling who killed a Reaper AND invaded their space, destroyed that ridiculous baby thing and escaped and is now chilling on their home planet.

I'd wipe them out ASAP if I were the reapers!!!

that was always my thought. shepherd fucks over 2 of their big plans forcing the reapers to do poo poo the long and hard way.

because they want to give people a sorta hopeful ending.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I feel like I'm the only one who loves ME3 sometimes, but then I did play each game the same way the whole way through - Renegade everything, never using anyone other than the below teams.

My team in the first game was always Shephed, Garrus and Liara. In ME2 it was always Shepherd, Garrus and Mordin (or the loyalty mission member) and in ME3 it was always Shepherd, Garrus and Liara again.

Garrus is the best character in the ME franchise and I had such an awesome time taking him on missions with me!

I really enjoyed me3 ride, right up to the point the old warhorse tells us we did good. If we were just sitting there as the end of the galaxy happened/beat the reapers through military strength I would have been satisfied.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

the best bioware story is the imperial agent story from the old republic

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Whorelord posted:

facts.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Hold up.....Mass effect had a story??

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
reminder that in context Mass Effect 2 has the best piece of video game music ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My wife came home last night with an XBox One and a preorder for Andromeda. I love my wife.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Whorelord posted:

This person speaks truth.

It wouldn't fit with the current games but I'd love for whomever wrote that story to do one in the Mass Effect galaxy. Something in the galactic intel community or maybe some sort of mercenary/operative working in the grey areas.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Some guy that apparently played the game says that there's no longer any squad mate power control.
:ohdear: I hope it isn't true... otherwise we're at the mercy of Bioware's... ai.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
i like the science lizard, i hope that there is another science lizard in the video game mass effect andromeda

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trast posted:

This person speaks truth.

It wouldn't fit with the current games but I'd love for whomever wrote that story to do one in the Mass Effect galaxy. Something in the galactic intel community or maybe some sort of mercenary/operative working in the grey areas.

My faint hope is that Andromeda is just setting the stage for all kinds of space opera adventures in the Mass Effect IP without needing to worry about "Earth" and "the fate of the galaxy" and "the same iconic protagonist every game." I would pay full price for a ME "imperial agent storyline" game even if it was literally the same with the serial numbers filed off.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Deakul posted:

Some guy that apparently played the game says that there's no longer any squad mate power control.
:ohdear: I hope it isn't true... otherwise we're at the mercy of Bioware's... ai.

Incredibly hosed up if true.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Talk about blue balls. Is she dead? Guess we'll never know.

(She biotic charged a colony ship and is Andromedas final boss)

Demifiend Shep would rule, especially if s/he was all classes (and genders) simultaneously.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Halloween Jack posted:

My wife came home last night with an XBox One and a preorder for Andromeda. I love my wife.

:sever:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Halloween Jack posted:

Further proof that your wife overlooks obvious past performance flaws and indulges in completely unwarranted optimism about future results when making decisions to acquire things.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Further proof that your wife overlooks obvious past performance flaws and indulges in completely unwarranted optimism about future results when making decisions to acquire things.

Sounds like a great quality to have in a wife honestly :shrug: well one that marries ME anyways :smithfrog:

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
:thejoke:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Whorelord posted:

Light Side Sith Warrior was also really excellent. The Sith Warrior writer is currently on the Andromeda team if I remember right.

All of the worthwhile writers from SWTOR scattered to the four winds, ensuring that game would never amount to anuthing long term but in this case it's a benefit! :v:

I think the Imperial Agent guy is doing mobile games.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Light Side Sith Warrior was also really excellent. The Sith Warrior writer is currently on the Andromeda team if I remember right.

All of the worthwhile writers from SWTOR scattered to the four winds, ensuring that game would never amount to anuthing long term but in this case it's a benefit! :v:

I think the Imperial Agent guy is doing mobile games.

I believe the Sith Warrior writer is writing Peebee

So if you liked Vette, I guess you may be in luck

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SgtSteel91 posted:

I believe the Sith Warrior writer is writing Peebee

So if you liked Vette, I guess you may be in luck

Vette was mostly just kind of inoffensive. She existed. So maybe there's hope for PeeBee yet.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

Yeah you're gonna use the Mako a lot, I'm fine with it even if it got a lot of hate at the time of ME 1 launch. Attacking a raider/pirate outpost with the Mako was always fun, even if you got less XP from it

On PC you can edit an INI file and make it so you get the same (or heck, 10 times as much) XP from killing things in the Mako. You can also give the Mako super thrusters. ME PC is good, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kai Leng is a real bad character but playing as a vanguard and dunking on him as he tries to hop away and hide behind grunts in TIM's fancy space room while Shepard poo poo talks him then breaking his lovely hanzo steel is pretty good.