Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MinibarMatchman posted:

dominion being dependent on gear poo poo makes it that much more unappealing to play. I only play the game maybe a few hours a week so I'd never catch up to the level loving 80 shitsockers who have a screw loose

Fortunately you only need Rep 1 to get to that point. 50 gear score is easily enough to be bullshit. The other half is knowing what about your character is bullshit. Just like fighting games, you need your bread and butter. For me, it's running up on some dipshit fighting my buddy and doing overhead hard into zone attack. If they have been damaged at all, that probably will do them in.

That said I also firmly believe that in the end, this game is going to have a class meta. It's not going to be 4 random characters of whatever type you want. You'll want a Vanguard to handle the Front, you'll want a Conqueror or something like that to hold enemy points and deny them points, etc.. Something that wasn't immediately obvious to me about Fronts is that every mook you kill is worth a point on the scoreboard, so having someone who can effectively kill 5 mooks per swing is huge. And of course, those feats loving MATTER, so you should be having each player doing what their class gets the most renown for.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Some game mechanics need to be adjusted. Like dodges not costing any stamina (afaik) and assassin classes spamming dodge slash. I've had one Berserker who just kept on spamming side dodge for like 30 seconds non-stop.

Loopoo posted:

God, Peacekeeper in 4v4 Elimination is the worst. Most players run at the start of the fight to pick up boosts and then either try and insta-kill you, or run away if you're better than them to go gank someone else. I'm Orochi and I can't even keep up with her run speed, despite the fact we're both the same Assassin type class?? It's kind of bullshit. If she decides to gently caress off, there's no one that can keep up with her.

I had her pick up both defense and attack boosts, and I realised I had no chance in killing her, so all I could do was let her get the occasional hit to think she could win, whilst playing defensively. Eventually my team came and we kicked the poo poo out of her.

But before that, she was running at start, picking up boosts, then ganking teammates all over the map.
Probably sprint stat gear. I can chase down Assassin classes without problem when I have it on my Warden. The only game mode that isn't affected by gear stat is 1v1 Duel afaik.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so you complaining about peacekeeper but play orochi
This.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aesis posted:

Probably sprint stat gear. I can chase down Assassin classes without problem when I have it on my Warden. The only game mode that isn't affected by gear stat is 1v1 Duel afaik.

This.

Wait, 4v4 Elimination, Skirmish, and 2v2 all use gear stats? jfc that is awful if true

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Wait, 4v4 Elimination, Skirmish, and 2v2 all use gear stats? jfc that is awful if true

Just any 4v4 mode I believe

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Oh you're right.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so you complaining about peacekeeper but play orochi

Let's see what I'm complaining about : the fact she can outrun a fellow Assassin class. I'm not complaining about her fight style, I'm not complaining about her bleeds.

Why reply just to stir the pot? It's a valid complaint. Ubisoft should make it so sprinting isn't something that can be done 24/7. It should have some form of mechanic that stops it being so easy to abuse. I've seen Peacekeepers run around the whole map reviving their whole team because no one can keep up with her (even when she doesn't have speed boost). Aye, it's our own fault for not camping the bodies, but still, it's ridiculous.

The only way I could prevent my teammates getting ganked was to play worse than I normally do, in an effort to bait her into trying to secure a kill. I'd miss blocks on purpose, and fail the odd guard break. It enticed her to stay cause she figured she outclassed me and could get a quick kill. By the time she realised I was just fluking, my teammates arrived to gently caress her up. But even then she lead us on a 2 minute goose chase.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 22, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I guess that explains why I've had a bad time in most 4v4 elimination and skirmish poo poo

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
I'd be fine with dodges costing stamina if it was no longer possible to guard break someone while they're dodging. I'm also surprised that sprinting doesn't cost stamina, but maybe they're just trying to keep the tempo up.

Photux
Sep 3, 2012

Funny then, that such darkness gives me hope

Loopoo posted:

Let's see what I'm complaining about : the fact she can outrun a fellow Assassin class. I'm not complaining about her fight style, I'm not complaining about her bleeds.

I don't think peacekeepers run faster than the other assassins; I think she probably has gear that boosted her sprint speed a lot. However, sprinting is a problem. I had an elimination game yesterday that had multiple rounds end in a draw, because the last surviving orochi on my team just sprinted around the map, while the two enemies could not simultaneously camp the speed boost, camp the revivable bodies, and chase the orochi.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Aesis posted:

Some game mechanics need to be adjusted. Like dodges not costing any stamina (afaik) and assassin classes spamming dodge slash. I've had one Berserker who just kept on spamming side dodge for like 30 seconds non-stop.

Can't you just..parry him?

In theory you can grab people mid dodge as well

Some really good wardens have done it to me constantly

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Xeremides posted:

I'd be fine with dodges costing stamina if it was no longer possible to guard break someone while they're dodging. I'm also surprised that sprinting doesn't cost stamina, but maybe they're just trying to keep the tempo up.

This. I don't know how many times I've been guard broken down flights of stairs cuz instead of trying to counter it I decided to back dash or dodge and it tracks. maybe I'm dodging to soon?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
My brain always goes to "dodge" before "counter guardbreak" as well in defensive moments, leading to many frustrating moments where I accurately call their action but respond with the incorrect action :(

Then they grab me mid dodge and toss me into a fire

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm too lazy to go into a match and test, but does anyone know if you can DEFLECT an attack from an attacker who isn't your target? Blocking is hella easy that way, and I'm getting better at parrying side attackers. I'm wondering if that could make the Orochi or Peacekeeper even MORE bullshit.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
peacekeeper shreds bad players so easily

It's literally just lightattack spam and most people can't keep up.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Can't you just..parry him?

In theory you can grab people mid dodge as well

Some really good wardens have done it to me constantly

Usually guardbreak does track perfectly and is a good tool against dodging. However, being in a light attack makes you immune to being guardbroken. So your window against dodgy assassins is shorter than usual, since you have to press it early enough to connect before they start winding up into the attack.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

I'm too lazy to go into a match and test, but does anyone know if you can DEFLECT an attack from an attacker who isn't your target? Blocking is hella easy that way, and I'm getting better at parrying side attackers. I'm wondering if that could make the Orochi or Peacekeeper even MORE bullshit.

Yeah, you can parry. It's super easy cause if they're attacking from your left, it'll be on your left side. I've parried tonnes of people this way in 2v1's and stuff, cause I just need to focus on the main guy and keep an eye out for left and right markers flaring. It's sexy as gently caress when you pull a parry off on an opponent who is attacking you from the side whilst you're facing someone in front.

Edit: Oh poo poo, deflect? I'm pretty sure you can't. Cause if they're on your left, you'd dodge into them if you were facing an enemy in front of you. Plus deflects are naturally super hard to pull off, so pulling one off on an enemy would be near impossible. So I'ma go with "Nah I don't think deflects can work against someone you're not locked onto".

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Zzulu posted:

My brain always goes to "dodge" before "counter guardbreak" as well in defensive moments, leading to many frustrating moments where I accurately call their action but respond with the incorrect action :(

Then they grab me mid dodge and toss me into a fire

I always back dodge on my valk on guard breaks and it leads to me getting destroyed every time. I need to unlearn it in my brain.

Also amusingly people were complaining about the Valk buffs last night, especially when a guy ran from his opponent in elimination to 2v1 and got bumped into the water just before I executed his friend.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guard break into heavy attack as Shugoki:

TEDDY FUCKIN' WILLIAMS KNOCKS IT OUTTA THE PARK, FENWAY ON THEIR FUCKIN' FEET

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FAUXTON posted:

Guard break into heavy attack as Shugoki:

TEDDY FUCKIN' WILLIAMS KNOCKS IT OUTTA THE PARK, FENWAY ON THEIR FUCKIN' FEET

I don't even get mad when a Shugoki baseball bats me. It's so loving satisfying.

gently caress I love this game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Aesis posted:

I main Berserker and the dodge slash gets stomped by a lot of competent players. It's hard to change the attack mid dodge slash so you just have to block to the direction they're dodging.

Also if dodges cost stamina then blocking should cost stamina. I don't think anyone wants that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doltos posted:

Also if dodges cost stamina then blocking should cost stamina. I don't think anyone wants that.

Well, I expect Ubi to implement it, then under the rationale "We already took their (or their parents') money"

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

But seriously, parry and grab. People get way too aggressive after they pop revenge. It just so happens that average players are lovely and panic when their opponent gets revenge. If he's targeting you just focus on defense so someone else can grab him on his recovery frames.

It's at the point where I'm not even worried when I see someone's revenge is ready. I just make sure I don't get knocked down and then it's no problem from there.

Basically I'm saying git gud unironically.

EDIT: I do totally agree that revenge gain is completely out of hand and extends the fight too much, but it's not a death sentence for you.

This is all true - there's still plenty of ways to handle someone revenging, even with high revenge defense/attack.

The problem is once most players in a match are running similar builds it's going to become an unfun shitshow of super saiyans running around 24/7.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

2 SPOOKY posted:

This is all true - there's still plenty of ways to handle someone revenging, even with high revenge defense/attack.

Namely throw their glowy rear end in a hole.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Namely throw their glowy rear end in a hole.

My favorite is fixing their back with a nice command grab.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've noticed more and more people dodging the Valk spear sweep, which is fair enough, but is it dodgable because I'm not activating it fast enough off the shield charge chain or is it just dodgable normally? If so that's... pretty rough for the Valk. Although I probably need to mix it up and guard break instead of sweeping.

Also shoulder charge from the Warden seems to beat shield smash/charge which is interesting. Not sure if it's about frames on contact or what is deciding that interaction.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 22, 2017

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

Brackhar posted:

Ok, gently caress the For Honor matchmaker. Its current state completely screws over solos. I'm sick and tired of getting matched game after game into an in-progress rounds where the opposing team is 600 points ahead and full of multiple prestige points and 50+ class levels while I'm only level 5. It's happened to me every single time I've queued for a 4v4 mode this week.

I had this exact same experience a couple days ago. I started playing 1v1 and 2v2, and I had a much better experience.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Has anyone found a post or guide somewhere about gearscore, reputation, and how it works together? I was under the impression that gear drops were innately tied to rep, like at rep 1 I just immediately began receiving blue drops, and that would continue at further reps. However, reputation 2 just brought more blues, even in the steel packs. Is it tied to reputation after all, and three is the next jump? Or is it more like Destiny where it is tied into your gearscore, with upgrades slowly increasing over time until you hit a certain threshold.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Deofuta posted:

Has anyone found a post or guide somewhere about gearscore, reputation, and how it works together? I was under the impression that gear drops were innately tied to rep, like at rep 1 I just immediately began receiving blue drops, and that would continue at further reps. However, reputation 2 just brought more blues, even in the steel packs. Is it tied to reputation after all, and three is the next jump? Or is it more like Destiny where it is tied into your gearscore, with upgrades slowly increasing over time until you hit a certain threshold.

You don't start getting purples until Reputation 3. Blues start at 1, Purples at 3.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Keegers posted:

Also sprinting up to them with a heavy attack right when they're executing one of your friends

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Deofuta posted:

Blues start dropping at Reputation 1 and purples at Rep 3.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
I swear I've seen rep 2 players with purple gear, is it possible to bully the system by purchasing a million packs and upgrading everything? How about orange gear?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Deofuta posted:

I swear I've seen rep 2 players with purple gear, is it possible to bully the system by purchasing a million packs and upgrading everything? How about orange gear?

Sort of. The color of their gear level next to their Rep in the prematch screen doesn't necessarily reflect the rarity of their gear.

For Example: Someone can have a blue ilvl 44 next to their Rep without actually using any blue gear by just having strong enough commons to add up to an overall gear level of 44. The game colors your overall gear score numerically not by actual gear. This is most clearly demonstrated by players with a 108 gold gear score. There is no gold rarity gear that we are currently aware of. Rather, 108 gold gear score comes from having a full set of fully upgraded purples. That adds up to 108, the current maximum, and thus the game colors it gold.

It's possible there is gold rarity gear out there but if so I've seen no indication how it is obtained.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Ahh, okay everything begins to make more sense now, thanks for the info!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Deofuta posted:

The gear you get has a max level, so lvl 3 gear can only go up to 6. I assume its the same with blue gear

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Blue gear has a max of 12, which I've hit with about 3 or 4 pieces now. I assume that if I get most of them up there my score will turn purple.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Keegers posted:

I'll admit that my revenge tactics depend entirely on whether or not my targets panic. I also like to hang out on the Front so there's fewer hazards around cause of course some Lawbringer will just be like "Raider, corner pocket"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Deofuta posted:

Blue gear has a max of 12, which I've hit with about 3 or 4 pieces now. I assume that if I get most of them up there my score will turn purple.

Most likely yes.

Though I'd personally caution against doing that. Save your salvage for purps. They are expeeeeensive.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

Doltos posted:

I main Berserker and the dodge slash gets stomped by a lot of competent players. It's hard to change the attack mid dodge slash so you just have to block to the direction they're dodging.

if blocking doesn't reduce stamina from your oppoent when you attack then what the hell is block damage and block damage resistance?

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

zooted heh posted:

if blocking doesn't reduce stamina from your oppoent when you attack then what the hell is block damage and block damage resistance?

You take health damage when you block

Edit: When you block a HEAVY attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

I must not be noticing it then. I was under the impression when they blocked they lost a little bit of stamina.