Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Glenn Quebec posted:

"Haha Glenn,

You are being a bad boy! :) I think its safer to keep you on these e-mails in case someone has a question pertaining to U.S. Regulations.lol

I appreciate you feeling comfortable with me though.

Best Regards Eunice."

Then I respond with "but thats when you loop me in, when someone has a question not way before." Then she doesn't respond and puts on a weekly call using HK time and if it actually has something pertinent ( one out of four) and I'm not on, I'm hosed.

No matter how she looks, you need to take the plunge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JaucheCharly posted:

No matter how she looks, you need to take the plunge.

destroy your marriage for the good of the plunge

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
Let's see what's new at Shanghai Disneyland.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's Take The Poo To The Loo all over again.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Hey I'm still waiting for you to write part 2 about your trip to the massage parlor

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TheGoatTrick posted:

Let's see what's new at Shanghai Disneyland.

This is necessary, esp for kids. I don't think a day goes by I don't see multiple kids just going on the sidewalk with mom/grandma/etc right behind them, tissues in hand.

Also I see a ton of vomit on the streets here in the mornings before the street cleaners have gotten to work, so maybe that as well.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

This is necessary, esp for kids. I don't think a day goes by I don't see multiple kids just going on the sidewalk with mom/grandma/etc right behind them, tissues in hand.

Also I see a ton of vomit on the streets here in the mornings before the street cleaners have gotten to work, so maybe that as well.

Interestingly, Grand Fromage has never seen that during his time here

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

GoutPatrol posted:

destroy your marriage for the good of the plunge

Sounds reasonable.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LentThem posted:

lol

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I CAN'T SNAP MY FINGERS!!!! IS IT BECAUSE I AM AN ARAB MISCEGENATION!?!??!!?!?!?!?!?!?

e: In my opinion, Magna is very upbeat and might not really notice as much ickiness as GF and myself (because we are kinda grumpy). Moreover, we spend a lot of time in outer Chengolia and I don't think Magna really does? There is a world of difference between how people behave out here in the suburbs than downtown. I see street making GBS threads/mega kanrenao/scooter crashes/people picking weeds out of the cracks in the sidewalk and eating them every day.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 22, 2017

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LentThem posted:

Hey I'm still waiting for you to write part 2 about your trip to the massage parlor

Err what? Must have misspelled the word message somewhere likely while phone posting. Sorry to disappoint you.

Given my luck I would get a couple layer of skin removed because they used toothpaste instead of oils.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oohhboy posted:

Err what? Must have misspelled the word message somewhere likely while phone posting. Sorry to disappoint you.

Given my luck I would get a couple layer of skin removed because they used toothpaste instead of oils.

yeah but now you have that minty fresh feeling

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

yeah but now you have that minty fresh feeling

Mint can be in an oil form.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

oohhboy posted:

Mint Oil's p flammable though.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

Mint Oil's p flammable though.

All the better to exfoliate.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

oohhboy posted:

And my post doesn't refute that!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

LentThem posted:

Let's assume that the dudes have different times and rythms when they go to work, etc. It's like you coming home at midday and never seeing a person walking their dog at that time, hence assuming that dogwalking doesn't happen here. Or somebody else going to work really early and never seeing kids go to school at that time.

It's like that tree falling in the woods and nobody is there to see it. Streetshitting without the expats observing it, does it really happen?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

JaucheCharly posted:

Let's assume that the dudes have different times and rythms when they go to work, etc. It's like you coming home at midday and never seeing a person walking their dog at that time, hence assuming that dogwalking doesn't happen here. Or somebody else going to work really early and never seeing kids go to school at that time.

It's like that tree falling in the woods and nobody is there to see it. Streetshitting without the expats observing it, does it really happen?

The new hotness in my apartment complex is leaving the poopy buttwipes on the ground, so yes.

source: :science:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The Great Autismo! posted:

seriously it's like

Magna: I've never seen that before
GF: i've seen it three times a week for the past year and a half

I dunno but he lives in a much more rich/upscale segment of the city so maybe that's it? Or he's been poisoned by being around Europeans so much.

I also am unable to tune anything out. I had a former coworker who was surprised how often I saw car accidents until I started pointing them out to him. He just wasn't paying attention.

LentThem posted:

lol

I very rarely see vomit but plenty of making GBS threads and pissing so that checks out. Actually the first time I went to Magna's apartment Arglebargle and I dodged a perfectly formed human turd log right in the middle of the sidewalk outside, in front of a busy vegetable store.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

He lives in an apartment complex where they do regular maintenance and there's a bagel shop right outside so it's a pretty different world.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I was hanging out with an American kid, like 18 or 19, who had just got to China once, after it had rained. We were walking somewhere and it was really mucky on the area outside some busy shopping mall thing.

He pointed out some Chinese kid had stuck a bunch of straws together to make one long straw, and while we were looking, the kid dipped the straw into a puddle of muck and sucked the dirty water up to take a sip. We saw the dark water fill the whole long straw thing and go all the way up to his mouth.

I turned to the dude and chuckled and said in a kind of chinglish "mebbe he want to HAVE A TASTE" but the dude was ashen faced with horror. He was traumatized by it, and kept saying "what the gently caress what the gently caress people poo poo and piss there, that kid was sipping poo poo piss water."

I guess he was kind of a neat freak / germophobe and it really did gently caress with the dude's head and I heard a little later from someone that he had gone home.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Sheep-Goats posted:

China find pig boner; eat or ride; ask the expert

It comes in handy. She can identify all the animals served at a meal in order to ensure we're not getting cat switched from rabbit or dog switched for pork.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
My experiences in Chengdu are also the opposite of everything Grand Fromage posts. I live in the Tibetan area of the city on an old local style street above a bunch of brothels and I rarely see anything dodgy going on so it can't really be anything to do with how rich people are.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
after reading years of posts about this type of thing i think some people like magna really really really like china and i think he came to china expecting to like china. so i think he doesn't see a lot of the stuff that people who came with no prior expectations see. like he has the highest level of chinese possible a foreigner can have, and you don't get to that level unless you're super interested in the culture and the country and the language. he's probably a lot more upbeat about china because he wants it to be really good. i know he also likes video games so i imagine that takes up some free time and he might not spend hours walking around like haier or i do. i don't know if that's true or not, though.

i live in the nicest area of downtown tianjin, or at least i did, my lease is up on the 15th, but we have people taking dumps in our garden on the 7th floor and people spitting everywhere and smoking in elevators and people screaming HALLLLLO at my child as we try to go outside for dinner. and tianjin is a better city than chengdu. you can live in the nicest place you want, but like you said, you'll still get human dumps outside the vegetable stand around the corner. if you don't want to see it, you won't. if you just kind of walk outside and look around, you will definitely see it.

i see a lot of poo poo because i spend about 3 hours everyday walking, i usually get in anywhere from 15k-25k steps a day according to my app. so i see all the street fights and the accidents and the street making GBS threads and people walking into construction sites on their mobile phones and cars going the wrong way down the one way street before trying to do a U-turn and getting stuck perpendicular on the road. i love walking in china, it's the best. but i think if i came to china assuming it was going to be like the forbidden city everywhere i went, i wouldn't like walking so much, because i wouldn't want to see any of that poo poo.

who knows, i'm just rambling at this point. i know i do this type of thing with japan though, i go there and I'm like "OMG everything is loving AMAZING" and then i talk to people about all these problems japan has and I'm like "yeah idk japan is boss as poo poo, sorry you have a problem, i never see that!" lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

My experiences in Chengdu are also the opposite of everything Grand Fromage posts. I live in the Tibetan area of the city on an old local style street above a bunch of brothels and I rarely see anything dodgy going on so it can't really be anything to do with how rich people are.

You never hang out so I don't believe you're a real person. :colbert:

That Tibetan area is still way downtown. The worst stuff I see is all out in Wenjiang.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

after reading years of posts about this type of thing i think some people like magna really really really like china and i think he came to china expecting to like china. so i think he doesn't see a lot of the stuff that people who came with no prior expectations see. like he has the highest level of chinese possible a foreigner can have, and you don't get to that level unless you're super interested in the culture and the country and the language. he's probably a lot more upbeat about china because he wants it to be really good. i know he also likes video games so i imagine that takes up some free time and he might not spend hours walking around like haier or i do. i don't know if that's true or not, though.

i live in the nicest area of downtown tianjin, or at least i did, my lease is up on the 15th, but we have people taking dumps in our garden on the 7th floor and people spitting everywhere and smoking in elevators and people screaming HALLLLLO at my child as we try to go outside for dinner. and tianjin is a better city than chengdu. you can live in the nicest place you want, but like you said, you'll still get human dumps outside the vegetable stand around the corner. if you don't want to see it, you won't. if you just kind of walk outside and look around, you will definitely see it.

i see a lot of poo poo because i spend about 3 hours everyday walking, i usually get in anywhere from 15k-25k steps a day according to my app. so i see all the street fights and the accidents and the street making GBS threads and people walking into construction sites on their mobile phones and cars going the wrong way down the one way street before trying to do a U-turn and getting stuck perpendicular on the road. i love walking in china, it's the best. but i think if i came to china assuming it was going to be like the forbidden city everywhere i went, i wouldn't like walking so much, because i wouldn't want to see any of that poo poo.

who knows, i'm just rambling at this point. i know i do this type of thing with japan though, i go there and I'm like "OMG everything is loving AMAZING" and then i talk to people about all these problems japan has and I'm like "yeah idk japan is boss as poo poo, sorry you have a problem, i never see that!" lol

It's still pretty amazing to me just how much expats in Japan are able to bitch. Like poo poo here is pretty amazing by almost any metric, which isn't to say there isn't dumb stuff, but most of it tends to be dumb offcice politics or olds being olds which exists literally everywhere.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japan is bad and full of weak people

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

It's still pretty amazing to me just how much expats in Japan are able to bitch. Like poo poo here is pretty amazing by almost any metric, which isn't to say there isn't dumb stuff, but most of it tends to be dumb offcice politics or olds being olds which exists literally everywhere.

I used to bitch about Japan quite a bit because it was my first Asian work experience (had lived in HK before, but as a student). Now, when I go back, I think about how much better things were than Korea or China. Mostly Korea, though.

Still, the work culture in Japan sucks and there's plenty of poo poo that still pisses me off. I just had a bigger expat bubble there and enjoyed myself more.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Anyone ever tried to plant small chinese flags into the logs on the sidewalk, gardens and flowerbeds?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
No but I make little paper boats with George Washington in them and leave them floating in the huge puddles beneath every urinal

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

And my post doesn't refute that!

Would have gotten minted either way in that scenario.

Tell me about you minty experience?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

LimburgLimbo posted:

I think part of the problem is Japan is so much more modernized that they can't help compare it to how things are "back home", and when they don't line up, they get very frustrated. In China, your expectations are lower. I know these threads has definitely lowered mine of China.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Grand Fromage posted:

You never hang out so I don't believe you're a real person. :colbert:

That Tibetan area is still way downtown. The worst stuff I see is all out in Wenjiang.

On a related note, my brother is in Chengdu, but refuses to read this thread despite having an account.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

UltraRed posted:

I think part of the problem is Japan is so much more modernized that they can't help compare it to how things are "back home", and when they don't line up, they get very frustrated. In China, your expectations are lower. I know these threads has definitely lowered mine of China.

Also that Japan tends to be the first step after college on a downward spiral of English teaching and poor life choices for some, so there's often nothing to compare it to, especially vis a vis office/work culture.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Living in China certainly has made Korea seem a hell of a lot nicer. And I can't imagine much of anything in Japan bothering me after this.

I do agree though that Japan is so nice that the nitpicking takes on a different character. Here you're just wishing the doctor would wash his hands with soap or that they wouldn't literally put poison in the food.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grand Fromage posted:

Here you're just wishing the doctor would wash his hands with soap or that they wouldn't literally put poison in the food.

lol that you willingly live there

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Before my co-worker and this thread if you asked me about China, I'd probably think better of it.

Now, I pretty much dislike everything but the food.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Japan is nice but everything is surprisingly sprawling that everything is a lot further than you think. It is also pretty expensive.

Korea is the same with a very half rear end organized public transport system but has a much higher level of English available. There are not that many major cities so if you are thinking of doing that. Actually everything doesn't feel as organized as it should be.

Hong Kong is a nice sort of middle ground between Japan and China in the positive ways. You got your more down to earth places where the same owners have been serving the same food for decades is either have a don't give a poo poo attitude or are very kind. You can go to the tourist traps if you want and there is an easy to find ex-pat. It is also cheap here for most foreign currencies. It certainly is for NZ dollars

Not much to type about today, Went to the Space Museum and watched a show which was nice. Didn't take the headphones so I missed out on Neil deGrasse Tyson. I wanted to stretch out my Cantonese anyway as I should but it felt like I was cheating a little as I had read about the subject already.

Brought a lot of hair dye for mom, went from one Mannings to another to get more as each place did not have enough stock and to spend the $8 they give you. Only got stickers at one place for some reason not that it really mattered, but it wasn't like I knew what they were for. No Slurpies at Tsim Sha Tsui for some reason.

High light of the day was lunch eating Pig Intestines Noodles. So simple but it didn't go to plan. I sat down, and started taking my backpack off. My weight shifted and I came off my seat which was little unbalanced. I instinctively grab the table which was those fold-able round tables which has not much mass or grip so that started tipping. My weight shifted again while holding the table slamming it down flipping everything off it except for the bill. My leg swings out and demolishes the shrine. Somehow I regain my balance on the not chilly oil covered floor and what completely clean of the mess.

I make my apologies and help with the clean up. I sheepishly sit down at another table, ate the food which was a drat sight better than some stuff I had ordered the other day with was trash therefore treated like it accordingly. The food was $10 and I left $30 as some form of compensation. They were more than happy to just take the $10 as she asked me for money as I left. I told her I left the money at the table and made my escape. For some reason I believe thsi was not the first time I did this at that exact same store...

Went to a pretty good Ramen place. Not the best as random Japanese hole in the wall is going to beat it, but so far best in Hong Kong by a fairly long way. This time I checked the chair which was wobbly. I swapping it out.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Jfc your posts are boring.

Like I can just scroll past so whatever but you're a boring writer and you life is boring and nobody loving cares why do you do this to yourself and us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Jfc your posts are boring.

Like I can just scroll past so whatever but you're a boring writer and you life is boring and nobody loving cares why do you do this to yourself and us.

But you see he wants to keep a journal and if he didn't post it here there would be literally no way to save what he writes.

hakimashou posted:

This thread should have a discord and that discord should have a markov bot based on a certain recent prolific poster.

• Locked thread