Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Picking up a guy with a Mass Field and throwing him at his buddies was kinda cool. It's not exactly revolutionary gameplay, but it at least looks evolutionary enough.

I said come in! posted:

True. The book version, one of the main characters is a teenage girl having sex with her adult brother.

Haven't they added a good half-dozen years or so to a good portion of the cast that were teens in the books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

That being said, there are some really really nice quality of life improvements for Nioh that I wish could be backported into the souls games. Namely being able to go back and refight bosses without being in NG+.

Dark Souls 2 had bonfire ascetics to do that, they shoulda kept them for DS3

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dark Souls 2 had bonfire ascetics to do that, they shoulda kept them for DS3

Bonfire ascetics hosed up the whole ng+ flow though.

It's worth pointing out that Nioh doesn't really have NG+, it has unlockable hsrd mode. There is no NG++, you csn just keep playing. You beat normal mode, then you beat hard mode, then you're done. Well, there are a few postgame side missions.

But it's not like soulsborne where you csn just keep going in infinite ng+s if you want for some reason.

Which is a little disappointing to me.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

Pro click if you would like to be put on a government watchlist.

I'm pretty sure the entire Star Ocean fandom agrees that everything in 4 is terrible, this scene included.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i thought the combat in 4 was the best the series has ever had, not that that's saying much

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wouldn't mind seeing someone take another crack at Jet Moto.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I know Titanfall 2 has been praised in this thread and the SP looks cool by reviews too. I'm thinking on getting it on this sale but I'm wondering if any of the DLC is worth it if I plan to play the SP and maybe, maaaaaaybe a bit of MP. It's 26€ for normal and 30 for Deluxe (I know 4€ isn't much but the DLC looks like just cosmetic poo poo).

The other option is to get The Witcher 3 GOTY for 25€ and have content for who knows how long. Or just get both because what the hell while a wait for Yakuza 0 and Nioh get a small sale before this summer... drat decisions...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guillermus posted:

I know Titanfall 2 has been praised in this thread and the SP looks cool by reviews too. I'm thinking on getting it on this sale but I'm wondering if any of the DLC is worth it if I plan to play the SP and maybe, maaaaaaybe a bit of MP. It's 26€ for normal and 30 for Deluxe (I know 4€ isn't much but the DLC looks like just cosmetic poo poo).

The other option is to get The Witcher 3 GOTY for 25€ and have content for who knows how long. Decisions decisions...

All the DLC is cosmetic multiplayer poo poo, you don't need any of it. And the Single Player campaign is one of the best in recent years.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All the DLC is cosmetic multiplayer poo poo, you don't need any of it. And the Single Player campaign is one of the best in recent years.

:yeah:

Great game

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Guillermus posted:

The other option is to get The Witcher 3 GOTY for 25€ and have content for who knows how long. Or just get both because what the hell while a wait for Yakuza 0 and Nioh get a small sale before this summer... drat decisions...

Titanfall 2 SP is amazing, if you like shooters you deserve to experience that campaign and its not short for a SP shooter but it aint exactly long. Witcher 3 is also amazing and its DLC Blood and Wine was literal GOTY 2016 with more content the Titanfall or most other AAA games, just in that one DLC alone. The whole game can last you 100s of hours if you like.

Both are great choices, if you want a timesink go Witcher 3. I expect Titanfall 2 to drop more over time.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Guillermus posted:

DLC is 100% cosmetic (and not even in loot box form! you just buy the poo poo you want), all new maps and weapons and modes and poo poo are free for everyone on release, no strings attached. Just get the regular game and buy skins if you like it and wanna further support the devs

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I figured about TF2 dropping more soonish. I'm enjoying Destiny right now and have tons of content still to play, I own Doom, have UC3 and 4 pending and still beating God of War 3 HD. I doubt that TW3 will drop more than 50% and looks like a great game to spend time until this summer. At the other hand TF2 is 62% off, and is not likely to drop more until at least black friday (and I'd only save like 8€). Hell I might just buy both and keep my backlog growing :getin:

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
I don't usually like fan trailers but this one is pretty good. (Horizon) https://youtu.be/K7JOafCzNkU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Yeah I figured about TF2 dropping more soonish. I'm enjoying Destiny right now and have tons of content still to play, I own Doom, have UC3 and 4 pending and still beating God of War 3 HD. I doubt that TW3 will drop more than 50% and looks like a great game to spend time until this summer. At the other hand TF2 is 62% off, and is not likely to drop more until at least black friday (and I'd only save like 8€). Hell I might just buy both and keep my backlog growing :getin:

Really not a bad choice. Witcher is old enough to always be cheap. And if you aren't worried about content it might be time to jump on TF2.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm so frustrated with Last Guardian, there is such a great game in there but unresponsive controls and sloppy movement are a pet peeve of mine and its too frustrating to deal with.

Oh well god bless videogame rentals. Dishonored 2 here i come.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I still can't call nioh better than the dark souls games. Nioh does some things better but it does have just as many flaws as any of the dark souls titles.

But as mentioned before its like they forgot to make the rest of the game challenging after the first few bosses. And they reuse levels for side missions and the enemy variety is probably less than half of any dark souls game.

I hope they at least learn and improve for a nioh 2 or whatever spiritual sequel they do (Irish or viking mythology?)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nioh is better because when a boss has more then one phase and I beat it I don't have to beat it again for bullshit challenge reasons.

And I can coop easier.

But it does have problems. Pretty amazed for a first run at the formula. If Nioh is their demon souls I can't loving wait for their dark souls.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bombadilillo posted:

Nioh is better because when a boss has more then one phase and I beat it I don't have to beat it again for bullshit challenge reasons.

And I can coop easier.

But it does have problems. Pretty amazed for a first run at the formula. If Nioh is their demon souls I can't loving wait for their dark souls.

The boss thing I don't understand. Is it because nioh bosses don't transform and say 'ah this is my true health bar!' nioh bosses have phases too and make you restart the fight with the full health bar (for example, bozu in and out of water). Aside from that one boss at the end of the first dlc in ds3(which your complaint seems to be about) , I can't think of any dark souls bosses that actually did phases that would correlate to your complaint (okay maybe o/s in dark souls 1 too, so two boss encounters in five games, doesn't seem like something to complain about)

You're going to get a lot of people that disagree with coop. The main reason is, to even be summoned for anything, you have to beat the level yourself. Summoning someone is about the same, maybe a little better,since you can just go off and fight enemies while it match makes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The... final boss of DS3???

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

The boss thing I don't understand. Is it because nioh bosses don't transform and say 'ah this is my true health bar!' nioh bosses have phases too and make you restart the fight with the full health bar (for example, bozu in and out of water). Aside from that one boss at the end of the first dlc in ds3(which your complaint seems to be about) , I can't think of any dark souls bosses that actually did phases that would correlate to your complaint (okay maybe o/s in dark souls 1 too, so two boss encounters in five games, doesn't seem like something to complain about)

You're going to get a lot of people that disagree with coop. The main reason is, to even be summoned for anything, you have to beat the level yourself. Summoning someone is about the same, maybe a little better,since you can just go off and fight enemies while it match makes.

Its still early enough that getting summoned takes 15 seconds, and I don't have to travel to a place to do it. much better. I understand the summon restriction hate, but it means you theoretically are going to get help that knows what the gently caress they are doing. The play everything coop restriction is bullshit. But I like to sunbro and that has been streamlined immensely.

If I want to help a rando with a rando boss, I hit the button and am in the game helping them less then a minute later. Its great.

Have you beat it? Keep playing. Maybe phases is wrong. But there are back to back bosses later. Which is just like some bullshit DS3 fights, thinking dlc here.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Maybe it's because the hysteria is over or because I bought it for $15 on PSN, but AC Unity is a pretty good game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Electromax posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing someone take another crack at Jet Moto.

Jet Moto 2 HD.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

a primate posted:

Maybe it's because the hysteria is over or because I bought it for $15 on PSN, but AC Unity is a pretty good game.

You're also playing it post-patches. It's been cleaned up a lot technically and I think some mobile app cross-marketing crap was removed.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

haveblue posted:

You're also playing it post-patches. It's been cleaned up a lot technically and I think some mobile app cross-marketing crap was removed.

It's this. Unity had a ton of performance issues at launch that were eventually fixed. Also $15 is my go-to price point for Assassin's Creed games now.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Its still early enough that getting summoned takes 15 seconds, and I don't have to travel to a place to do it. much better. I understand the summon restriction hate, but it means you theoretically are going to get help that knows what the gently caress they are doing. The play everything coop restriction is bullshit. But I like to sunbro and that has been streamlined immensely.

If I want to help a rando with a rando boss, I hit the button and am in the game helping them less then a minute later. Its great.

Have you beat it? Keep playing. Maybe phases is wrong. But there are back to back bosses later. Which is just like some bullshit DS3 fights, thinking dlc here.

I've reached area 5 and level 90something. So probably over 75% through the game. Summoning is good now because the game is active. But it can be flawed in its own way, for example, you can't help someone with something new and learn it for your own game. Or get halfway through a level, drop a summon sign and help someone (small white soapstone) for a resource refill. And I can summon or be summoned anywhere, it's just other people like to choose specific places. I will admit again, the ability to go somewhere and let matchmaking find someone is great.

That's why I can't just call the coop better. It's worse especially in the context of friends or trying to complete a game together.

And I can hit a button and help someone randomly in dark souls as well *places soapstone before a boss, takes one button press* and better yet, I get to choose where they can summon me in the level. In nioh, that's a bit of a wildcard. If you try to help for umi bozu, it's a crap shoot if they've lit all torches or not. In dark souls, just place soapstone right before boss fight and you'll be summoned for it.

Nioh just does some things a little differently than dark souls and that just means it's better in some ways but can be worse in others.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nioh has a much deeper combat system, mechanically. Which isn't better or worse, but it's different.

Compared to Nioh, Bloodborne is very clean, mechanically. It has more weapons, but fewer different stats and abilities. It has 1 type of parry. Nioh has like, I don't eve know how many different parry moves. At least 6. The stance system and different combo finishers means that each weapons moveset is like 4 times the moveset of a Bloodborne weapon.

So some people are going to like that more, and some people are going to like it less. But it's just a matter of preference.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

the final boss of ds3 had the health bar thing and so did nameless king off the top of my head. might be more but I don't remember

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Snak posted:

Nioh has a much deeper combat system, mechanically. Which isn't better or worse, but it's different.

Compared to Nioh, Bloodborne is very clean, mechanically. It has more weapons, but fewer different stats and abilities. It has 1 type of parry. Nioh has like, I don't eve know how many different parry moves. At least 6. The stance system and different combo finishers means that each weapons moveset is like 4 times the moveset of a Bloodborne weapon.

So some people are going to like that more, and some people are going to like it less. But it's just a matter of preference.

Deeper is a stretch. There is more I guess but it really doesn't amount to much and the differences are negligible for most.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Even at :10bux: I still don't feel like getting Mirrors Edge.

Just out of curiosity, does it at least have cutscenes better then the Esurance adobe flash poo poo from the first one?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Even at :10bux: I still don't feel like getting Mirrors Edge.

Just out of curiosity, does it at least have cutscenes better then the Esurance adobe flash poo poo from the first one?

Everything is rendered in Catalyst, no animated cutscenes. If you enjoyed the first one at all then you'll enjoy this one. It's a lot quicker and once you get the knack for combat it's fun to jump all over the room beating down half a dozen guards. There's a ton of things to do, but the one thing that's missing is a time trial mode for the main story missions like the original had.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I've enjoyed playing Nioh more than DS3 because at least it runs at a non-abhorrent framerate.

I do like Bloodborne's "stack up like 100 potions for your convenience" over Nioh's system of hunting for those green guys, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

MinibarMatchman posted:

I've enjoyed playing Nioh more than DS3 because at least it runs at a non-abhorrent framerate.

I do like Bloodborne's "stack up like 100 potions for your convenience" over Nioh's system of hunting for those green guys, though.

Farming for blood vials in Bloodborne was terrible.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

from patched bloodborne to increase the blood vial cap ages ago

you were loving up if you farmed for vials specifically either way tho since buying them was way faster and easier. they're pretty cheap

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You have to explicitly farm them in Nioh depending on RNG/bonus. You just need echoes to buy them in Bloodborne, which is way better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Manatee Cannon posted:

the final boss of ds3 had the health bar thing and so did nameless king off the top of my head. might be more but I don't remember

Twin princes, the undead knights I've forgotten the name of and the final boss of the DLC had three friggin separate health bars

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Agreed, I don't even like Nioh's hybrid system, but its a lot better then bloodbornes time tax if you are struggling. gently caress that design. In Nioh you can put on the blessing for a bit and be flush again and at worse you still get your baseline. Its still bad, but manageable.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

What Nioh really lacks is clever loot placement.

You spot a corpse in Bloodborne or Souls, get to it, and score an entire unique armor set.

Do the same thing thing in Nioh, and you get a useless consumable.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Who ever had to farm blood vials in Bloodborne though? The game shits them at you constantly, and they're cheap enough to get a few dozen with your leftover echos after levelling. Hell, even if you're on an SL4 run and manage to run yourself dry, you get like a dozen for a two minute run through central yharnam.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nioh has armor/weapon drops, which bloodborne does not. they're different systems. bloodborne definitely had problems with bad loot tho, especially in the chalice dungeons

Sakurazuka posted:

Twin princes, the undead knights I've forgotten the name of and the final boss of the DLC had three friggin separate health bars

the knights were a little different since each enemy had its own health bar; they didn't refill when you killed them. the princes did because that was their gimmick (the one brother healed the other if you didn't kill him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

What Nioh really lacks is clever loot placement.

You spot a corpse in Bloodborne or Souls, get to it, and score an entire unique armor set.

Do the same thing thing in Nioh, and you get a useless consumable.

You get full armor sets in the form of smithing texts, in Nioh. Also 99% of items and armor are useless in Darks Souls if you have a build, which you do, granted bloodborne is full fashion.

Nioh lets you fashion souls by changing any armor to anything else and that is the best.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 22, 2017