Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

iospace posted:

How often do you hear of a school's sports programs outside of football, basketball, and occasionally hockey?

Depending on your area, hockey never and baseball easily third.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

iospace posted:

How often do you hear of a school's sports programs outside of football, basketball, and occasionally hockey?

College baseball is pretty popular in the south and the west.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

This is a thing people say but it's not even close to true. Iowa likes wrestling way more than anywhere else but it's still a pretty distant 3rd. Especially at Iowa State. It seems bigger than it really is because it's being compared to the interest in wrestling everywhere else (and because the people who do care tend to be extremely passionate)

That was not a serious post, I was trolling Thoguh.

Fair enough but I do hear about you guys having like 20k audiences for Iowa vs ISU.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, baseball is big in the south, I used to go to a bunch of Florida games. Also, some schools have random programs that are really good and draw a big crowd. My ex-girlfriend in college loved going to the gymnastics meets and they had the O-Dome to over half capacity a few times.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
UGA gymnastics is more accomplished than the football team

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

The SEC is/was a really strong conference for gymnastics.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Not to mention our swimming/diving records either.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
My parents were big fans of UGA Women's Basketball in the 80's, they tell me it was a pretty big deal back then.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

vikingstrike posted:

god drat gym dogs!

my friend emily was one. she never got to compete because of a bad back, but now she's like one of the 10 best crossfitters in the world.

so she's got that going for her. which is nice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crotch Bat posted:

Fair enough but I do hear about you guys having like 20k audiences for Iowa vs ISU.

That would be impressive in an arena that only holds 15.

They got 42k against Oklahoma State a couple year ago but it was gimmick outdoor meet at Kinnick the afternoon before a sold out football game. It was really cool but probably not exactly repeatable

LeeMajors posted:

There are a million good programs in SoCal but I don't think I've heard a single person bring college baseball up in casual conversation in the 5 years I've been out here.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 22, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drunk leprechaun posted:

I know this may shock you, but different schools have different programs they care about. Like Syracuse lacrosse, or Iowa wrestling, or Hawaii volleyball.

I meant on a national attention scale. Yeah, Duke has Lacrosse, but you don't hear about it much. Case in point:

LeeMajors posted:

Also point taken.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/joshnewberg247/status/834151213440569344
https://twitter.com/VICELAND/status/834206083296038912

:staredog:

:getin:

Also woo, FSU is petitioning to become a sanctuary campus :unsmith:

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 22, 2017

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
We've already had a look at Miami youth football. It was called "Year of the Bull" and it was amazing. Featuring a Florida Gator who later threw a keg off a balcony and hit a guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s23JTmfJOY

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

There are a million good programs in SoCal but I don't think I've heard a single person bring college baseball up in casual conversation in the 5 years I've been out here.

Hm. Fair enough. Their attendance on TV is usually really good. Honestly it doesn't come up in passing in the south that often but attendance is solid and it gets good coverage on the news.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Also woo, FSU is petitioning to become a sanctuary campus :unsmith:

Gotta snag those exiled 'croots!

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Aren't they already a sanctuary college?

it's not like the cops go after people there.

(this is actually pretty cool FSU)

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Crotch Bat posted:

We've already had a look at Miami youth football. It was called "Year of the Bull" and it was amazing. Featuring a Florida Gator who later threw a keg off a balcony and hit a guy.

I watched that!

Your school's other sports chat: Mizzou has a good wrestling program, volleyball and randomly gymnastics. The baseball team should be good, they have the #1 pitching prospect, but they're not. People kinda care about wrestling because J'Den Cox won bronze at the Olympics, but no one talks about the other sports really.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Crotch Bat posted:

Taurean Charles, wasn't it? That was when Zook threatened to fight an entire frathouse or some poo poo? Or am I getting my UF keg stories mixed up?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Baseball is a really big deal for the Cocks and for many of the other schools in South Carolina as well. Even the smaller colleges tend to have pretty good and well-supported programs.

As for other random sports, women's basketball has recently become a draw at SC -- I think we've led the nation in attendance for a couple seasons now. The equestrian team used to be awesome, but has fallen off a cliff for some reason.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chanticleers baseball, bitch

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
College baseball is cool and good.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston's got a great but should be better track program. At one point it produced two world record holders at 100 meters - Carl Lewis and Leroy Burrell, and today they're coaches at UH. Today you get a couple of individual AAC champions from time to time but all the truly fast guys go to P5 schools just like in football or just go pro.

Also, UH golf at one point dominated college golfing to the point where even though the last national title was in 1985, UH golf is still second only to Yale. 16 all told.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Miami has a top 10 graduation success rate for athletes.

:getin:

Also, we had a really strong Polo team from 1947-1950 and Women's Golf during the 70s.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee WR coach Zach Azzanni has left and taken a WR coach position with the Chicago Bears.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee WR coach Zach Azzanni has left and taken a WR coach position with the Chicago Bears.

I heard Dallas's WR coach was looking for a job

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Joey Freshwater posted:

I heard Dallas's WR coach was looking for a job

He's been really good in Dallas!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

Taurean Charles, wasn't it? That was when Zook threatened to fight an entire frathouse or some poo poo? Or am I getting my UF keg stories mixed up?

I love that Florida has enough keg throwing stories to get confused by them. Zook chucked a half full keg across a frat lawn. Ron Zook needs to come back to Florida and just recruit.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

He's been really good in Dallas!

Oh really? Maybe if Butch doesn't work out we can look at him for the HC vacancy!

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/834520393239064576

Hoddy Toddy

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Wow so that means the spot in the Wendy's Frosty Four for Four bowl will be open

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ole Miss beats Bama, technically wins the West, but Bama goes to SECCG where they steamroll Florida befoe winning the CFP. So it is written.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That Clemson guy died via self inflicted gunshot wound :smith:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a link to this Ole Miss stuff? Heard on my sports radio about payments made to players that DIDNT sign with Ole Miss? And those were around $15k. How much to a guy who does sign?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

TBeats posted:

the Wendy's Frosty Four for Four

I believe you are referring to the semifinals for the college hockey

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Different story. Zook threatened to fight an entire frat house when a bunch of football players went to a party and they were stealing all the girls and the frat kicked them out and there was a Mexican standoff on their lawn with the Zooker in the mix.

Source: I was in the frat house next door lol

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/mattielouc/status/834535713894965248

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

You mean perennial mediocre team ole miss who suddenly started beating Bama yearly was going above and beyond the usual player pay!?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Too low imo

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

vyst posted:

Different story. Zook threatened to fight an entire frat house when a bunch of football players went to a party and they were stealing all the girls and the frat kicked them out and there was a Mexican standoff on their lawn with the Zooker in the mix.

Source: I was in the frat house next door lol

I like to imagine he palmed the keg, holding it out like Lebron would a basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

• Locked thread