Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So curious about Hives. Hope they don't force you to be "evil" though. If you can't have other pops on your planets though, how do you gene mod them? Is biology the only way to make someone part of your hive mind, what about a cyber/borg option? If you invade/conquer an enemy planet do they just auto-purge? Can you instead release them as a vassal if you're some sort of sentient-life-respecting hippie hive mind? I just hope hives don't force you to be a brutal expansionist force of nature. Why not be a chill peaceful hive that loves and respects that other races are made up of billions of tiny individual hive minds instead of one. So many new friends to talk to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It's odd to me that hive minds are forbidden from psionics - it seems to me that for any sort of actual hive mind that could still be considered just a single hive mind across a solar system or a galaxy (instead of splintering into multiple nests/factions, when that specifically doesn't happen with them) you'd need space magic aka psionics (or Borg-style cybernetics) to keep all the individuals in that race thinking as one. I suppose it's possible that a hive mind is just incompatible with the sort of psychic tech/research a psionic ascendance civilization uses.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 22, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I hope that long lost of Hive Mind civics options means we can play with some of the less magical / more nature-inspired alternatives. Starship Troopers / Alien / Enders Game / real-life-insect-super-colony style / biological-organism-analogy hive mind options. Or even some of the less common "human brain/subprocess" style variants like the Replicators from SG-1, or at least the more distributed options like Halo's Flood and the Formics from Ender's Game.

Tyrannid/Zerg/"queen" style hiveminds are, personally speaking, super boring since they manage to avoid all the interesting bits by reducing it to "so there's a hive, but also some separate normal individual dominating it, so it's not really a hive mind at all". I hope we can go a bit beyond that.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 22, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

But the Tyranids are controlled by a formless physic hive mind that is just amplified by certain bio constructs such as the the Norn Queens and Hive Tyrants.

:goonsay:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I would guess that the mechanics of the cybernetic and psionic ascensions don't interact with hive minds in a sensible way, which is why they're blocked.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
For all the complaining this thread does about Stellaris war mechanics it could be way worse. I've screwing around in Distant Worlds while waiting for the Banks update and the war mechanics are incredibly obtuse. I can't even figure out how to tell my dudes what to attack.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
someone plays dw off of full auto??

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Up until not too long ago I played DW with all automation off. I have no idea why I hated myself enough to do that.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
War in DW is really quite simple; it's trying to micromanage your fleets to make sure they don't gently caress off to the other end of the galaxy and making sure they have enough fuel that really tests your patience.

I do like that you don't even have to declare war on you opponents; if you find some one doing something you don't like or they took a planet you wanted you can just roll up and blast them out of the way or occupy the planet and its yours now. No fuss, no muss.

Virtually everything else about the game, from ship design to the economy, is an impenetrable mess though. You just do things and hope it works out in the end. Or let the game play itself.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
For the first time ever I finished the Cybrex precursor chain. Even though my space is enormous the system was in the area of someone else and when I got there they'd picked it clean. So frustrating! I really wanted to see the end of it.

I also had a planet killed entirely by bombardment. It had an enormous defence army on so they couldn't land and take it off me but eventually it just wasn't there any more.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The war mechanics are ok compared to other 4X games but they are still micromanagement hell. I should be able to tell an admiral to go take system X with fleet Y and set attrition levels before retreating to repair etc.... By the late game when you have larger scale conflicts going or say the war in heaven event you are spammed with combat alerts when really all I want to know is if my fleet had to retreat or did it take the system. Putting Sectors on a war setting and having them auto replace losses would be nice as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Taear posted:

For the first time ever I finished the Cybrex precursor chain. Even though my space is enormous the system was in the area of someone else and when I got there they'd picked it clean. So frustrating! I really wanted to see the end of it.

I also had a planet killed entirely by bombardment. It had an enormous defence army on so they couldn't land and take it off me but eventually it just wasn't there any more.

Is there an actual resolution to the chain? I found the ring, built an outpost, reaping a lot of engineering research and living metal, but there was no final story investigation or anything and it's still in my activity log as a thing to do.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there an actual resolution to the chain? I found the ring, built an outpost, reaping a lot of engineering research and living metal, but there was no final story investigation or anything and it's still in my activity log as a thing to do.

For some reason the Cybrex started fighting amongst themselves and eventually withdrew from the galaxy to their ring world and were slowly forgotten. Years later someone stumbled upon them and the galaxy paniced, a combined fleet from several major powers was formed and they went and bombarded the hell out of it to make sure they were really dead. There is no evidence to show that they fought back at any point.

The inability to complete the precursor chain is a bug I've seen several timea and doesn't appear to affect just one chain.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Baronjutter posted:

I thought you found a surviving Cybrex? I've seen people talk about it before.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
It's also possible to find anomalies associated with a different precursor than the one you're on the chain for, but as far as I can tell it's impossible to actually get the artifacts

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

Yes. The precursor system will have one level 4 or 5 anomaly that has a 0% failure chance and usually gives you a ton of resesrch points for finishing it. Accompanied by a text box for what happened to them. For example that the Cybrex one day just retreated to their ring world and then were later nuked from orbit by races who feared them waking up again.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not missing any bonus though, just the story right? The only reward is the ring's engineering "mines" ?

Aslo I'm currently actually having a really good game but after my 3rd war I realized I forgot to turn the game onto hyperlane only. The first 2 people I fought were just hyperlanes like me out of chance. gently caress, I wish the game remembered previous settings or even had a quick re-roll map option.

There's no crazy way to change a game in progress to lane-only right?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not missing any bonus though, just the story right? The only reward is the ring's engineering "mines" ?

You get a few hundred sociology/physics/engineering tech points for finishing the event.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Taear posted:

I thought you found a surviving Cybrex? I've seen people talk about it before.

I've found one on a shielded world before.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BigPaddy posted:

But the Tyranids are controlled by a formless physic hive mind that is just amplified by certain bio constructs such as the the Norn Queens and Hive Tyrants.

:goonsay:

Yeah that's my point, it's a "hive mind" controlled by what is essentially an outsider/non-hive organism. The mind isn't really the mind of the "hive", it's something else that controls them like puppets.

It's as if the human body were entirely controlled by our pineal gland or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

You know what's great about all this speculation and concern? Even if wiz didn't 100% implement hive minds or other features exactly how we want, there will probably be mods or ways to change that our selves, or if we're correct enough wiz will just fix it in a later patch. In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of these amazing Utopia features will be full of problems and issues and next year we'll be all "lol remember how bad hive minds were on release? Oh god remember how few civics we had? God the new empire ethos and faction screen is so much better."

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
That's pretty much Paradox's MO

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

BigPaddy posted:

The war mechanics are ok compared to other 4X games but they are still micromanagement hell. I should be able to tell an admiral to go take system X with fleet Y and set attrition levels before retreating to repair etc.... By the late game when you have larger scale conflicts going or say the war in heaven event you are spammed with combat alerts when really all I want to know is if my fleet had to retreat or did it take the system. Putting Sectors on a war setting and having them auto replace losses would be nice as well.

Yeah some level of automation would be nice for fleets. Currently I just use one giant death ball fleet since managing more than one fleet becomes very annoying from the midgame on.

Being able to set a bunch of options for fleets like which world is their home base and automatically building ships to replenish the fleet if it drops below a set amount would also be nice.

Armies are much more of a nightmare to manage, although allowing warships to have some troop carrying capacity could help alleviate that problem.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Still want there to be a way where if you keep drawing a ton of army techs and few ship techs you can be more competitive than just having impregnable fortress worlds.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So I just had a pretty cool idea.

What if you could sell pops to other nations if you had the forced migration policy? It'd be pretty cool to be able to sell excess population/people that despise you to be workers/slaves/food for other nations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Still want there to be a way where if you keep drawing a ton of army techs and few ship techs you can be more competitive than just having impregnable fortress worlds.

The secret is to never research army techs ever (none have value) and just spam low tier ships until you get upgrades

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
* Planet of aliens is enslaved by baddies *
* I liberate the planet from the baddies and free the slaves *

- 30% happiness WAS ENSLAVED
- 25% happiness WAS CONQUERED

:mad:

Wiz!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Fintilgin posted:

Wiz!

Wiz lied, Slaves cried.
Little details like this can really make or break the "narrative" of of the game. Had the same thing happen to me and I was so sad because in my mind the entire war was about liberating these poor slaves and showering them with freedom in my multi-species democracy, but they were so angry for so long. I wrote the penalty off as them needing time to recover from their enslavement and integrate into a non-slave society.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's pretty dumb how it works like that. Maybe some coding where if slaves on a conquered planet are released they get a +100 happiness bonus or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Impregnable fortress worlds don't exist now. Build an assault group of 40 Psionic armies with the PSI attachment, and you'll wreck the morale of any defending group so quickly that you can't really lose. I routinely drop them on worlds without any pre-bombardment.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd just have slaves that find them selves in a new country where slavery is illegal to not have the "recently enslaved" penalty and if the empire grants them full rights not have a "recently conquered" penalty, if anything a "recently liberated" bonus. Hell have a little event window pop up, give some fluff about liberating the slaves, maybe have some options on how to integrate them into your society.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I'd love more info on hiveminds. It says that non hiveminded pops can not survive in hive mind space, what happens to them? why do they die? how quickly?

hivemind pops can't survive in non hivemind empires. Okay, that kinda makes sense, it means they can't have pops migrating around the galaxy. What happens if some non hiveminds conquer a hivemind world though? What if you come across a pre-ftl hive mind? are a bunch of the usual options just not there?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

King Doom posted:

I'd love more info on hiveminds. It says that non hiveminded pops can not survive in hive mind space, what happens to them? why do they die? how quickly?

hivemind pops can't survive in non hivemind empires. Okay, that kinda makes sense, it means they can't have pops migrating around the galaxy. What happens if some non hiveminds conquer a hivemind world though? What if you come across a pre-ftl hive mind? are a bunch of the usual options just not there?

I thought it said they get auto-purged. Did I imagine that?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

King Doom posted:

Well, you're in luck then! The new dev diary with answers to your questions is supposed to come out tomorrow.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fintilgin posted:

Wiz!

-100% happiness BEING GROUND INTO lovely COFFEE FOR BEING UNGRATEFUL JERKS

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I thought it said they get auto-purged. Did I imagine that?

Yes, but purging is not instant and you'll apparently get the option to give pops the hivemind trait, basically assimilating them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Bholder posted:

Yes, but purging is not instant and you'll apparently get the option to give pops the hivemind trait, basically assimilating them.

I don't think that's what was said. Unless I'm mis-remembering (entirely possible), you're able to add the hivemind trait to your own species with the gene-engineer ascendancy. I don't think anyone ever made the claim that you could incorporate other species into your hive-mind.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zurai posted:

you're able to add the hivemind trait to your own species with the gene-engineer ascendancy.
That sounds all kinds of horrible. :stonk:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Like I said, I might be mis-remembering or mis-interpreting, and of course I'm much too lazy to hunt it down before making declarations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zurai posted:

I don't think that's what was said. Unless I'm mis-remembering (entirely possible), you're able to add the hivemind trait to your own species with the gene-engineer ascendancy. I don't think anyone ever made the claim that you could incorporate other species into your hive-mind.

The quote says "can genetically modify species to become hive minded if Biological Ascension Path is completed", but yeah, it doesn't specify which species.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/834358123343335426

Although it's also amongst the list of traits the Hivemind has so it does sound like something you can do to other species, but only if you have the hivemind ethos.

• Locked thread