Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You should be able to check the status of Apple Music by checking your subscriptions under your account settings. Not sure about a refund.

There's an Apple Music thread in IYG but it's pretty slow. Uses the MUSIC tag, currently on page two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that'll probably be why I didn't see it, I presumed they used the Apple tag. Yeah I think it's told me I had a trial then decided when I did the Apple ID transfer that I didn't and didn't give me the option to jump out.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
After I listen to an album/playlist, the album/playlist stays on Next Up on my phone and tablet. Any way of fixing this?

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Real stupid question here.

I have just bought my 100th movie on iTunes. Yes it's me I'm the guy who actually buys a significant amount of movies in a digital locker.

My question is, what are the odds (none) Apple offers some manner of upgrade path to 4K editions whenever they get around to doing that? It's not a terribly big concern since, now being 30 and having children having the highest visual fidelity no longer matters to me that much, but I would like to have the option someday. I know they did it from 128kbps to iTunes Plus 256kbps for music but I know movies are a whole new ballgame.

Oh gently caress I just realized I became the old people from when I was a kid that had hordes of VHS tapes

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just FYI for anyone who cares, iOS 10.2 brings back star ratings as a setting under the "Music" section. That enables a "Rate" option in the share sheet. Not as straightforward as it used to be, but better than nothing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

Just FYI for anyone who cares, iOS 10.2 brings back star ratings as a setting under the "Music" section. That enables a "Rate" option in the share sheet. Not as straightforward as it used to be, but better than nothing.

Woah, I never noticed this, so thanks!

Kinda stupid they buried it a couple touches deep. Wish they would have just left it as touching on the album cover or whatever it was before.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

trash person posted:

Real stupid question here.

I have just bought my 100th movie on iTunes. Yes it's me I'm the guy who actually buys a significant amount of movies in a digital locker.

My question is, what are the odds (none) Apple offers some manner of upgrade path to 4K editions whenever they get around to doing that? It's not a terribly big concern since, now being 30 and having children having the highest visual fidelity no longer matters to me that much, but I would like to have the option someday. I know they did it from 128kbps to iTunes Plus 256kbps for music but I know movies are a whole new ballgame.

Oh gently caress I just realized I became the old people from when I was a kid that had hordes of VHS tapes

If the SD to HD process was any indication: you're gonna have to buy it all again.

(This is why after having massive DVD and Blu Ray collections, I just rent poo poo now.)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The little icon for 'playing' doesn't show up anymore for podcasts on itunes 12.5.5.5 (OSX 10.12.2, 10.12.3). It shows for music, this happen to anyone else?

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Is there a simple function for "Shuffle All" to just play random after random?
Theres not, is there

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Go to the "songs" view, play a song, and turn on shuffle?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

skull mask mcgee posted:

Go to the "songs" view, play a song, and turn on shuffle?

This or right-click "Songs" in the sidebar and click shuffle

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My laptop's hard drive is filling up, so it's time that I think about the iTunes Match service. Does anyone use it? I'm wondering how it handles some things.

• How does it handle your cell data? I'm still on a limited plan because I guess I'm a poor, and I'm worried this would eat away at our shared 3GB plan while I drive into the office.
  • How do matched songs handle some of your settings? For example, I have Pink Floyd's "Time", but I have the setting to skip the first 30 or whatever seconds of the clocks chiming, and just start when the song does.
  • Do you no longer have to sync? How fast does a play on one device reflect on another machine? I would like to listen to music in my car, start my work computer, and open iTunes to where I left off in a playlist.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

IUG posted:

My laptop's hard drive is filling up, so it's time that I think about the iTunes Match service. Does anyone use it? I'm wondering how it handles some things.

How does it handle your cell data? I'm still on a limited plan because I guess I'm a poor, and I'm worried this would eat away at our shared 3GB plan while I drive into the office.

ASAIK, iTunes Match doesn't precache any songs automatically or anything like that so it should only use data when you're actually listening to music. It will keep local copies of songs you stream, you can view and delete them under Storage > Music. Of course, you can also elect to download playlists or albums on wifi for playback later.

IUG posted:

How do matched songs handle some of your settings? For example, I have Pink Floyd's "Time", but I have the setting to skip the first 30 or whatever seconds of the clocks chiming, and just start when the song does.

This is a feature I've never used but just tried it and my phone didn't reflect the changes I made to start points in iTunes. That being said, doesn't mean it won't work in the future. iTunes Match is slow and requires a retarded amount of patience sometimes.

IUG posted:

Do you no longer have to sync? How fast does a play on one device reflect on another machine? I would like to listen to music in my car, start my work computer, and open iTunes to where I left off in a playlist.

You no longer have to sync. You just created a playlist in iTunes? It'll be on all your devices instantly(or within seconds or minutes.) I am not sure if play counts have ever worked properly in iTunes Match, doesn't seem very reliable. If the devices are logged into the same iTunes account, you should be able to pick the music up where you left off. It's not a seamless thing, though. You'll open iTunes at work, wait for iTunes match to sync, then you'll have to select the playlist and the song like normal.

Even with all it's flaws, I absolutely love iTunes Match. It can be frustrating and slow at times, but usually it's great.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

decypher posted:

ASAIK, iTunes Match doesn't precache any songs automatically or anything like that so it should only use data when you're actually listening to music. It will keep local copies of songs you stream, you can view and delete them under Storage > Music. Of course, you can also elect to download playlists or albums on wifi for playback later.
So if I go on a long car trip I would be wasting my data away? At least I could plan ahead and get them downloaded, but I would need to see how that would work.

decypher posted:

This is a feature I've never used but just tried it and my phone didn't reflect the changes I made to start points in iTunes. That being said, doesn't mean it won't work in the future. iTunes Match is slow and requires a retarded amount of patience sometimes.
I feel like if it isn't in there now after how many years it has been out, I don't know that it'll be added anytime soon.

decypher posted:

I am not sure if play counts have ever worked properly in iTunes Match, doesn't seem very reliable.

This could be a big deal breaker for me alone. Most, if not all, of my smart playlists rely on when I last listened to something, or the number of times.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I have several songs that have specific start times and iTunes Match seems to respect that setting.

decypher posted:

ASAIK, iTunes Match doesn't precache any songs automatically or anything like that so it should only use data when you're actually listening to music.

When streaming songs, the music app will precache the next song in the playlist when you start reaching the end of the current song.

decypher posted:

It will keep local copies of songs you stream, you can view and delete them under Storage > Music. Of course, you can also elect to download playlists or albums on wifi for playback later.
Sort of. When you play a song once, the music app will cache it for as long as possible and will eventually be flushed out if more space is required, but it won't necessarily be considered "downloaded" and won't show up in that Storage->Music list. If you specifically ask for it to be sync'd/downloaded, it will stay on the phone.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is scrolling through the Recently Added album view and/or clicking on an album to reveal the tracks in this view super jittery and slow for anyone else? I'm running a top of the line 5K iMac and would think this stuff would be buttery smooth. :|

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Violator posted:

Is scrolling through the Recently Added album view and/or clicking on an album to reveal the tracks in this view super jittery and slow for anyone else? I'm running a top of the line 5K iMac and would think this stuff would be buttery smooth. :|

Can you take a video of what you are seeing? "Super jittery" is subjective and while it's not locked to 60FPS, iTunes has been performant for me on lesser hardware.

Violator
May 15, 2003

carry on then posted:

Can you take a video of what you are seeing? "Super jittery" is subjective and while it's not locked to 60FPS, iTunes has been performant for me on lesser hardware.

Sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuB21g99sQ

The album opening very slowly isn't from video compression, it takes like two seconds for the album tracks to slide open. Scrolling also stutters, jumps like a screen or two at a time instead of smoothly scrolling, and it takes a while for album art to display. This happens in all views where albums are displayed like this.

Edit: A huge chunk of my library is now Apple Music so there shouldn't be a ton of resources to load, and my library is stored on my SSD.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Violator posted:

Sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JuB21g99sQ

The album opening very slowly isn't from video compression, it takes like two seconds for the album tracks to slide open. Scrolling also stutters, jumps like a screen or two at a time instead of smoothly scrolling, and it takes a while for album art to display. This happens in all views where albums are displayed like this.

Edit: A huge chunk of my library is now Apple Music so there shouldn't be a ton of resources to load, and my library is stored on my SSD.

Hmm yeah that's way worse than what I see. My only guess is screen size related, is performance better if the iTunes window is small?

Violator
May 15, 2003

carry on then posted:

Hmm yeah that's way worse than what I see. My only guess is screen size related, is performance better if the iTunes window is small?

Dang, yeah. If I shrink the window down to three albums wide then it's really smooth. I guess it's just poor performance on big screens. :( Oh well.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How do I get ITunes to sync a single music file to IPhone? I'm seeing the "sync a folder or file" option, but it's grayed out and I can't click it. Trying to just sync things gives a warning saying that this will delete un-synced files.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Help me create a Smart Playlist, goons. I want to have it display the last 150 tracks added, regardless of how long ago they were imported to iTunes. I'm looking at the options and I know it's doable, but my small mind can't get the right settings.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Help me create a Smart Playlist, goons. I want to have it display the last 150 tracks added, regardless of how long ago they were imported to iTunes. I'm looking at the options and I know it's doable, but my small mind can't get the right settings.

I have almost the exact same thing except it's last 200 tracks added, here's a screenshot of the settings:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Last Chance posted:

I have almost the exact same thing except it's last 200 tracks added, here's a screenshot of the settings:

A thousand thank-yous!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone know what controls what language iTunes gets album/artist/track names in on Apple Music? I live in Japan, with a Japanese version of Windows, use a Japanese iTunes account, iTunes' interface itself is set to Japanese, but just on iTunes (not on my iPhone), Japanese tracks get maybe auto-transliterated to Roman characters, which are really hard to read.

This is how I want it, as it is on my iPhone

edit: are iTunes and the iPhone actually getting different files than each other or something?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 6, 2017

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You will probably need to change your phone to use Japanese as the main language. I think it will use localized titles when possible, so assuming your phone is set to use english as the main language it will try to pull english metadata for matched songs.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

astr0man posted:

You will probably need to change your phone to use Japanese as the main language. I think it will use localized titles when possible, so assuming your phone is set to use english as the main language it will try to pull english metadata for matched songs.

1) It seems obvious from the screenshot that he's already done that
2) the phone is working as desired

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

astr0man posted:

I bought my phone here and have no idea how it could be set to more Japanese than it is. I'm typing in English now but only because I installed English as a second input language.

Besides that would be pretty weird, my phone causing iTunes on my PC to act that way even though I downloaded the tracks on my PC first and then they were automatically downloaded to my phone after that, and in Japanese.

Edit: I changed the region of my US iTunes account to Japan when I moved here. The store is clearly the Japanese store and displays in Japanese and uses yen and everything (and I don't have access to my US purchases anymore...) but could some fragment of its old region be left and showing just in this way?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 7, 2017

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Oh I misread the problem as the other way around.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I would be curious to see if the same thing happens on a Mac because I'd probably chalk it up to iTunes for Windows just not being up to snuff with Windows' localization APIs or something

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

I would be curious to see if the same thing happens on a Mac because I'd probably chalk it up to iTunes for Windows just not being up to snuff with Windows' localization APIs or something
Yeah the Windows version of iTunes is poo poo, it always has been and always will be, and I have accepted it in my heart years ago.

edit: wait what the hell? Some of my Japanese albums, but not all, suddenly changed to Japanese. All I did was put my PC to sleep and wake it up again after getting home from work. Will it change back to roman characters just as unexpectedly someday?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 7, 2017

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, iTunes Connect just does not work (things frequently lock up when trying to play, etc) and I need to migrate away from it. I like having possession of my music files, and probably couldn't fit them all on my devices. Any suggestions? I am really contemplating just setting up a big rear end playlist in iTunes and syncing it to my devices like it's 2005.

Really, it's making me want to get away from all of Apple's cloud services.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
iTunes Connect? Isn't that a developer/store thing?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I meant iTunes Match. Oops.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, I've never had playback problems with Match in years of use, so maybe look at your internet connection, too.

For streaming most goons will probably say use Google Play Music, which is free. There's also Amazon music, but that'll cost you $25/yr to increase your upload limit from 250 songs (free) to 250K. Both of those have meh to poor apps, imo, and they both allow explicit downloading to your device.

The same is obviously true with Match, though. You could download as much music as you can with the memory you want to give up, and swap some out when you feel like it. Looks like you can selectively delete music from your device now by artist, album, playlist, or song from the Music app.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I've had intermittent problems with Match skipping songs in albums when it doesn't feel like playing them for a long time, across multiple devices and multiple networks. It's really maddening to hit a song in my music app and have it just skip over it, or to try and play a song in iTunes and have it sit there and buffer indefinitely.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
On a fundamental level I don't understand why everything about iTunes has to function differently than the iOS app. They seem to have never made any attempt to unify the designs of the two programs. The problems I have with iTunes I never have on iOS.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

So, iTunes Connect just does not work (things frequently lock up when trying to play, etc) and I need to migrate away from it. I like having possession of my music files, and probably couldn't fit them all on my devices. Any suggestions? I am really contemplating just setting up a big rear end playlist in iTunes and syncing it to my devices like it's 2005.

The Amazon thing has ten times as many songs and it works but the sync software sucks rear end.

eames
May 9, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

Completely same situation here.
I moved my music to Plex, while I'm not 100% sold on it yet but it's selfhosted, has iTunes import for Playlists/Ratings/Playcounts, supports syncing/downloading and has decent metadata & lyrics with the premium option. Most importantly it's cross-platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My girlfriends itunes continually makes tritone noises on her windows laptop. How the gently caress do I see what this loving thing is doing? There's no downloads button, initiating a download makes the button appear and the queue is empty besides the one item I downloaded to make the window appear.

It doesnt stop and it's god drat infuriating that there is no way to easily view what is causing the noise.

It's done it three times in as many minutes.